• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What age should your child start skiing?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How do you decide when your child is ready? I've seem some teeney tiny ones out there. How do you know when the time is right?

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, here's my two cents:

Getting kids out on skis as soon as they can walk is great. The more familiar they become with equipment, the better. Now, when my son was an infant, my husband and I used to take turns. I like the long steep groomed trails. He likes the bumps. So we used to get to the slopes early. I would go ski while my husband stayed with the kiddo in the lodge. Then at about lunch time, I would come in and stay with the kid, while my husband went out and skied all the bumps he could find.

When our son was about 3, we enrolled him in the kiddie ski programs. At that age, I honestly believe it was more like day care than ski class. He would get out on the snow a bit, but it was more playing around than actual skiing.

When our son, (Tyler is his name, by the way) was about 5, he could start skiing the bunny trails and some green slopes. I honestly believe that kids need to be about 5 before they can really start to ski. This has to do with body ratios. What I mean is that by the time you put all the clothing, boots and skis on a little kid, you probably add at least 5 to 7 pounds of weight. I think they need sufficient body mass (and for Ty it was when he was about 5) to absorb the additional weight of clothing and equipment so that they can actually move and enjoy themselves. Prior to 5, the weight of all the clothing and equipment just boggs them down and they tire very easily.

Anyway, that's just my perspective. However, what we DID DO was to buy Tyler a new pin at the ski shop for every new place that he skied. Collecting the pins motivated him to want to ski new places. It became a game, like collecting baseball cards. And I know that the game of it kept him interested enough until he loved the sport as much as my husband and I do. Once he learned to love the sport (at about age 10), he could care less about the pins. Now he only wants to rip down the bumps, tear through the glades, and leave his mother in the dust . . . .

Oh well, I guess I did one thing right as a parent!!! :D

Lola

Jilly

Staff member
I agree with Lola - 5 years old seem to be the best. I've been teaching kids for 20 years and anything younger seems to be more of a trial. At 5 they've been to kindergarten and away from mom or dad. They also have developed better motor skills and social skills. But if its not fun, don't push it. They'll just hate it. Most large ski hills offer a peewee program for those under 5, but like Lola says it glorified daycare with snow.

treebunny

Certified Ski Diva
age of initiation

we started both our kids at 3.5 years. they had enough 'starch' in their legs to stand up against the g-forces and some balance. we used the between the legs hanging on the poles approach at first, but the best is with a harness where the kid has to handle his own weight himself but you are still in control. kids camp is a waste at this age except to get in some skiing for yourself. they learn fast at this age and through age 4. we have done this with some friends kids as well. they will never have a fear of speed and steeps if started this young. it will just be natural. when they are out of a harness and can control theier speed and know how to turn take them on easy tree trails. kids don;t like to turn in a wide open field because they don't see the purpose. they get their turns down good in the trees because they have to. the sooner you get them going, the sooner they become your best ski buddy. then they start to show you a thing or two! (or more!!)we also utilized ski schools when 4-5 years and on for our sake as well as theirs but then it was a real ski class. the canadian resorts have some of the best yougnster ski lessons around or at least they used to. my kids are now 15 and 21 so its been awhile!

Margaritamarcia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
kids starting skiing

Our first daughter was 4 when she first skiied. She was exhausted, but felt successful. She was so excited that she was "headed towards the trees!" Sh turned out to be a skilled, light, balletic, not very passionate skier. She is now almost 20 and usually opts out of skiing now. :(

The next daughter was 3 when she started. She is a ski hound! She is aggressive, smooth, technically solid and capable of skiing just about anything anywhere. She and my husband do deep back bowls out west where the ski patrol always questions the sanity of my husband. She is now almost 17 but has always been small. SHe is now in the same skis as I am (K2 Burnin' Luvs) and she makes me so proud (and jealous). Both my girls are athletes, but, no surprise, the older has to work at it harder and is less able-bodied in a natural way than the younger.

When starting them so young, the whole point is for them to have fun, so if the ski school isn't a good one, or they are in wet socks, etc. it will be very bad for all concerned.

We usually had our girls in ski school when they were young for the morning and then we would ski with them in the afternoon.

slipnslide

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started my girls later. The oldest was 12 and the youngest 8. Today, they both love wintersports. I say "wintersports" because the youngest, who is now 15, turned to snowboarding about 3 years ago. Had I not encouraged her transition, she would not want to accompany us on trips today. She is not competitive like my oldest daughter and I. She is detail oriented and methodical. Over the past three years, she has studied and practiced the moves and positions necessary to properly carve her turns. She has great control and this year her speed has picked up so much that we no longer have to wait for her at the lift. She has become more passionate each season. My oldest is fast and fearless. Her technique is improving but she has paid more attention to ripping down the hill than she has to refining her technique. If she continues to practice, she will be a great skier. I consider myself blessed to have two daughters who share my passion.

Margaritamarcia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Isn't it always so fascinating that 2 kids can be so different? Just one more example of that truth. Isn't it fun to be with them as they take off in their skills?

I started skiing in the 04/05 season and my husband started snowboarding at the same time. Our kids were ages 8, 9, 11 and 11 and we let them each pick which snow sport they wanted to try. 2 of them picked skiing and 2 picked snowboarding. We rented equipment and each kid went out once or twice and decided they liked it, so that Fall, we bought equipment at the tent sales. Last year was pretty trying, especially for my snowboarder daughter (who was 12 at the time). My two daughters got on snow a total of 8 days last season and about the same this season, but this year they really started to progress. Today, my 10 year old skier was zooming along doing her turns with wedges at the corners, exploring the blue runs and having a blast and my 13 year old snowboarder was doing some runs with my husband. My stepchildren who live in Ohio and don't get as much time on snow are progressing a little bit more slowly, but we're taking them to Smugglers the week after next and hopefully they'll get some good snow time in then. I know it won't be long before all those kids/teenagers leave me in the dust, but for now I'm really enjoying watching their skills progress and having a fun, outdoor activity to do together. There was a cardboard race today at our local mountain that we all watched together. Seeing the creations that the local kids made was a blast and my kids want to enter their own cardboard vehicles in next year's race.:smile:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We waited until our kids were 5ish--by that time, they wanted to ski and learned very fast. Early on, my 2 boys did not embrace skiing like their older sister did, so we would not make them go or would limit their day to 1/2 day. They eventually became snowboarding maniacs, but on their own timelines.

It's sad to see kids, after 2-3 days of lessons and skiing long days, cry and beg to stay in the condo and watch videos and the dad is yelling, "I paid for the lessons and this trip and you will ski" (yes---I have witnessed this on several occasions). Or the tiny ones crying and throwing tantrums on the hill but too young to truly communicate. Parents need to tune in to their kid and not make them ski on their timeline and schedule.

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We started our older daughter last year when she was 3 1/2. She did a couple of lessons and was riding up the beginner lift by the second lesson. We would take her out in the afternoon as well and she would be begging to do one more run before they closed the lift. She's a naturally athletic kid with a lot of energy. This year she did a few more lessons and is now doing some of the easier blue runs and the minibumps in the terrain park. She can turn and stop, but still prefers to ski with the edgie wedgies. Our younger daughter is 18 months and is already wanting to ski. She says, "Mia ski!" and tries to climb on our skis and put on her big sister's boots. I may rent a tiny pair next year and take her out briefly, although I think I will put a harness on her. Our older daughter is pretty cautious and likes to stick close to mom or the instructor, but her sister is the opposite.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I learned when I was 4, my younger brother was 2, my older brother was 8. This just happened to be the time that my parents seriously got into skiing (mom had skied a bit when she was in college, dad too). Mom says all of us took to skiing immediately. We loved being outside, we loved sliding on the snow, etc. I never raced (other than NASTAR), but both brothers raced through high school. My youngest brother was the most serious, and would have continued racing except he had a terrible racing accident in his senior year of high school, and the recovery was long. He decided he did not want to continue racing, but he didn't stop skiing.

My older brother started both of his kids skiing when they were 2 or 3, and they both love skiing (one now in college, other is in high school). My younger brother and his wife have a 15-month-old daughter and they plan to start her next winter. She already loves playing and sliding in the snow. They haven't skied in a few years, but they want it to be one of their family activities, since they both have wonderful memories of skiing with family. :smile:

Also, my cousins all ski, we took family ski vacations together when we were growing up (LOTS OF FUN! :D ), and their kids all ski.

As you can see, skiing is in my family's blood! :smile:

Many of you know that my husband is a patroller, and not only did he start his kids when they were very young, all of the patrollers started their kids when they were very young. It's really fun to walk into the patrol room and see a bunch of little kids running around in their ski boots and laughing about how much fun they just had skiing. :cool:

Thatsagirl

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a 3 1/2 year old niece who I think would absolutely love to ski. She's tiny but has little muscular legs, and loves to go fast on anything that glides. She begs me to take her with me whenever I go, but I decided to wait for next year. Not because she's not ready, but because this is my first season, and I wanted to get a full season under my belt before taking her out there, as I'm the only skier in the family, and though she'd be in ski school (no way would I try teaching her myself) I'd like to get my slow skiing into great shape and get skiing switch down for our free skiing time.

My poor brother, he's terrified that I'd bring her home broken. He's athletic himself, but skiing is something that no one we know does, so it's just the intangible "crazy thing that killed sonny bono" in his mind. He can't get his head around me doing it, let alone his daughter.

He's a single dad and she's a daddy's little girl, and people who don't know us well think that we're the couple and she's our daughter (especially cuz she looks exactly like I did at her age and has the same kind of personality, even my mother often calls her my name). So when she goes on and on about how she's going to go skiing and I'm going to take her and we're going to be fast and it's going to be awesome, he has no choice but to fight his fear, cuz he can't get himself to say no when she's so excited about it. He just complains to me about it when she's not around :D

So basically, I'm planning to start her off at 4.

Margaritamarcia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the most important part of 3 or 4 or 5 years old as the time to start depends on the child and his/her ability to listen and follow in a group, if that is the format the learning is happening in. I agree she should be taught by a professional in a group with other kids. It is so much more fun that way and they see that others fall and get up and do it again. Remind your brother that Sonny Bono had substances and speed going for him. Your niece will be on bunny slope and beginner greens for a bit of time and he can acclimate.

Good luck and enjoy her and your learning!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter was on skis to play around at age 2, in lessons at 3 (January birthday). My son was in lessons at age 5, but he would have gone sooner had we lived here.

Leg strength is a big consideration. Some kids are still noodle-y even at 5 or 6 ...

My brother and his wife started their twins on cross country skis when they were not quite 2. Just playing in the yard, getting used to the sensations and balancing and moving. I thought that made a lot of sense -- they are in a familiar setting, no overwhelming resort experience, strange teachers, anything like that.

They did a mixture of cross country and alpine at 3. I swear, watching them cross country ski at that age was the cutest thing ever. :-)

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Both our kids went out on cross-country style skis and soft boots at 2 -3 years old to play and walk around. Real downhill equipment came at 3-4 years - later for our daughter, earlier for our son.

At 2 1/2 our son wanted to ride the chair because he was facinated with machines. But within a few days he announced in line "I am learning to keep my balance. I am learning to ski!", to the disgust of the adult beginners. I didn't even KNOW he knew what balance was. Our daughter at this age mainly puttered around. She really connected with skiing at about 5 years old.

We had skis with Mickey and Donald, (or was it Minnie?) on the tips to identify right from left. Our daughter, then 5 (?), would go backwards facing her little brother calling out "Mickey, Minnnie, Mickey, Minnie" and our son, with his hands on his knees, would dip his shoulder, going into perfect turns. This got our daughter moving on her skis, engaged and loose....and by the next season our son was doing wide stance parallel turns down about anything. We kept him on a leash system when he was 3 -- until he could clearly do hockey stops to shut down the speed. I kept envisioning a pylon in his future... I had to ask the ski school teachers to not force him to do a wedge. Once they saw he really did have control, they usually let him be.

Our daughter was more socially minded with her skiing. She wanted peers - that is what got her engaged. Kindergarten and 1st grade gave her friends to ski with, via our shared ski lease and a school ski trip. She really bloomed, and then began to enjoy it all for its own sake. Or at least that's what it seemed like at the time.

Our son by 5 was intrigued with snow boards. So we told him when he could do linked parallel turns down black diamonds, then he could try boarding. The spring he was 6, we all took a boarding lesson....and he has never been without his skis since. :D He hated the lack of control on the board, when he had such mastery on his skis.

Ski school with these two was a challenge. Our son had the skills our daughter had, but being nearly 3 years younger, not the mass and hence not the speed. Yet far more assertiveness. (our daughter just recently observed how many second children she knows who are the more aggessive skiers, regardless of gender. )

In group lessons in these early years our son would lag behind, just because he was half the size of the others of his skill level. Even worse, the teachers would pull him out of his ability group and put him with his age group ie. basic beginners with no poles. :eek: Once time when I saw this I skated over to the instructor, who graciously invited me to ride the chair with him. When I pointed out the parallel tracks in the powder under the chair as my son's, he got the point.

We finally opted for private lessons, though expensive. It kept the focus on their skills, not their ages. We preferred pro instructors, and tried not to "teach" during family skiing. We held family skiing as a treat the kids earned by going to classes. We kept them in structured learning until they were truly at an advanced / expert level. They hated it then, and are glad for it now.

At 3-4 years old, if they did 5 runs it was a full day. I've schelpped a lot of toys and cozy blankets for naps through parking lots of slush and cafeterias of ground up chips.

In retrospect, we are sorry we did not involve them in one of the Mighty Mite programs -- 4 to 8 year olds. They went onto team programs later -- middle school for our son, high school for our daughter -- in part to meet peers to ski with. Through ski school and privates they got the skills, but missed out on the social community.

So what age is best? :rolleyes: It is a chemistry of temperment and motivation, size and durability in the cold and in a group setting.

Jen

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What age is best?

I think in general it is okay to introduce kids to skiing around 3. It is probably not okay to expect them to ski longer than 1 hour, or dump them with an instructor. If you want to ski this early with your kids
be patient and also willing to enjoy the social and discovery aspects of skiing. Allow more time for simply playing in the snow and exploring than skiing. Watching the lift will certainly be more enjoyable than riding it at this age. Put them into group lessons
when they are ready. 4 or 5 depending on the child.
One of my biggest caveats for teaching kids to ski is don't push them onto steep terrain until they are making parallel turns. Of course many kids can make it down black diamond runs at four, they
are in a wedge fighting opposing edges and learning the awful art of leaning back to slow oneself down. Too many kids get pushed into this situation and it takes them years to get in the front seat if they ever do. Ussually they end up not liking to ski by the time they turn 9. Give them an extra year on the easy stuff and they will be skiing black diamonds as well as you ski the groomers by the time they are 8. The only bad thing is they will be able to smoke you when they are 10, but they love to ski.

shelbyr

Certified Ski Diva
I think the younger the better. I have taught 3 year olds how to ski and by the end of the 1st hour, they can cruise down the hill, with an edgy-wedgy of course. But they have such a great time and have no fear. I myself started skiing when I was 3 and I thank my parents for that. Had I not started when I was a kid, I don't know that I would be a skier today.

I began skiing at the age of 2-3. I think the younger the better! The closer they are to the ground when they fall.....the softer the fall! Right?!!!!!! :D

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I taught my youngest daughter to ski when she was 1-1/2 years old. She's 7 now and skis just about anything you put in front of her. I do believe that it just depends on the kid though. You certainly don't want to force it if there is any major anxiety involved. Another factor is that they physically can't get on the chair lift without a lift from you until they are about 6 or 7. The tow ropes also tend to be a little high for them until they are about 5, so this may mean a lot of physical strain on whomever is skiing with the child at a very young age.

If you try to get them on skis and it doesn't work out; play with them on the hill! Get them to love being out there and in that atmosphere and they'll make the transition much easier when they are ready for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna