• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wachusett 2020-21

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have a friend who was planning on being at Wachusett this morning making first turns of the season. He is going to report to me how lift lines worked and to what extent people were wearing masks and keeping their distance. He skis as a single, so he'll let me know how that went too.

I'll report his observations here when I hear from him.

I'll be doing the same in a few hours, so will be good to compare for different parts of day as well.

I did already see a couple of posts on social media with pictures of empty trails. Have not seen base area pics yet though.

Last edited:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I looked at the webcams but they don't really show you anything useful---the only one that was semi helpful was the one trained on "Indian Summer"/green trail. Not many people on the trail---but no idea how the blue trails or lifts are looking.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I looked at the webcams but they don't really show you anything useful---the only one that was semi helpful was the one trained on "Indian Summer"/green trail. Not many people on the trail---but no idea how the blue trails or lifts are looking.

I'm just finishing up my half day, so about to go change up and head out. So I should be at the ticket desk in around an hour. :smile: Will report back.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a friend who was planning on being at Wachusett this morning making first turns of the season. He is going to report to me how lift lines worked and to what extent people were wearing masks and keeping their distance. He skis as a single, so he'll let me know how that went too.

I'll report his observations here when I hear from him.
My friend had little to report about how lift lines were handled nor how people were dealing with mask requirements or social distancing because there were so few people there. There were some portapotties outside and the lodge was closed to the public. The snow was good, and he had a good time getting his ski legs back.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friend who has skied at Wachusett about 6 times so far said he had heard that the lodge is not going to open at all this season. But on the website they still say it's going to be open. I haven't been there yet, but everyone's trip reports seem to say the lodge is closed except for bathroom use.

So I asked my friend where he got the info. Someone he knows called Wachusett and asked about when the lodge would be opened, and the person who answered the phone said not at all unless the governor's restrictions were loosened up.

Does anyone here have any info on this issue that's more concrete?

MissySki

Angel Diva
My friend who has skied at Wachusett about 6 times so far said he had heard that the lodge is not going to open at all this season. But on the website they still say it's going to be open. I haven't been there yet, but everyone's trip reports seem to say the lodge is closed except for bathroom use.

So I asked my friend where he got the info. Someone he knows called Wachusett and asked about when the lodge would be opened, and the person who answered the phone said not at all unless the governor's restrictions were loosened up.

Does anyone here have any info on this issue that's more concrete?

I haven't heard this specifically, but I could see that being the smart play and kind of wish more places would do the same. Really if transmission is going to occur I'm betting on the lodge being the place for it. I don't really see which restrictions by the state wouldn't allow them to open the interior at all like that though, and wonder if it's an excuse or just so limiting that it isn't worth it to staff and upkeep overall.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm ok booting up at my car, and ok without the cafeteria or other such stuff for this season, but I do hope they will allow 10-15 minute warm-ups when it is really cold out. Otherwise I'll just be spending an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom on those days.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looking at the 10 day forecast, I'm thinking of shooting for my first day early next week. Anyone else have plans yet?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I haven't heard this specifically, but I could see that being the smart play and kind of wish more places would do the same. Really if transmission is going to occur I'm betting on the lodge being the place for it. I don't really see which restrictions by the state wouldn't allow them to open the interior at all like that though, and wonder if it's an excuse or just so limiting that it isn't worth it to staff and upkeep overall.
One of the features of the Wachusett base lodge is that it has lots of doors. But controlling numbers inside a building is a lot easier if access is more limited. Very hard to keep any sort of count if there are 3+ ways to enter and exit.

Not too much point to try to figure out how to open up the lodge in December. Maybe after MLK Day when things have settled down a little. But that's a little late to ramp up additional staffing if that's what it would take.

MissySki

Angel Diva
One of the features of the Wachusett base lodge is that it has lots of doors. But controlling numbers inside a building is a lot easier if access is more limited. Very hard to keep any sort of count if there are 3+ ways to enter and exit.

Not too much point to try to figure out how to open up the lodge in December. Maybe after MLK Day when things have settled down a little. But that's a little late to ramp up additional staffing if that's what it would take.

Well you could certainly limit the doors used for entering and exiting the building. For example, at Sunday River you have to enter South Ridge lodge from certain doors and not others. I wanted to go into the main ski shop and couldn't go into the door right near it so had to go around the building. That door was then used to exit back out if you so chose after shopping, but I couldn’t go in by it originally. It was kind of annoying, but I’m sure what you mentioned is the reason why.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It looks like snow is coming to Wachusett with this storm. If they get 6" or more today, they say on facebook that they may open with one or two trails for Sunday.

Ermit

Certified Ski Diva
It looks like snow is coming to Wachusett with this storm. If they get 6" or more today, they say on facebook that they may open with one or two trails for Sunday.

Fingers crossed for this! I just checked the webcams and it's snowing there now (just crossed over where I live); there are also a number of people standing around on Ollie's/the base of the greens.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They're open!
Baselodge is closed. Ski shop is open. Hot fresh food sold outside to eat on the deck. Anyone got a trip report?
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 11.11.53 AM.png

Last edited:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've taken a peek at the webcams a little this morning. At one point the line looked a little long, but people were reasonably distanced and the line was moving along nicely. Looking at the forecast for the week, night time temps look good for the guns, which should help coverage. I'm currently debating between loading up my boot bag tonight and setting my alarm for the morning, or waiting to see what things look like on the webcams tomorrow first before making plans for Tuesday. I know they won't have any more terrain open yet, but I am curious if there will be more than the usual number of people out on weekdays.

Any other divas considering skiing Wachusett this week?

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also want to see how weekday crowds look. Since I will need to schedule a Covid test to come to MA, I’ll probably wait until more trails are open.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How far of a drive from Wachusett are you? When you get a negative test, will you go 3 days in a row to make the most of your 72 hour clearance? Anyone know if that is allowed?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How far of a drive from Wachusett are you? When you get a negative test, will you go 3 days in a row to make the most of your 72 hour clearance? Anyone know if that is allowed?

if you are leaving Massachusetts and going to another state or back to your home you are technically back to needing a test and a quarantine, depending on the state. If you stay for three days straight it is a different issue. Leaving and going home or crossing the state line would be technically risking re-exposure. All very very complicated these days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna