• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Secret 96 or Kendo 88?

Saraski

Certified Ski Diva
Hey folks, I'm trying to buy a new frontside+ ski to expand my quiver from one to three (started with a 2015 K2 Potion 98 Ti at 163, now also have a 2023 Line Pandora 110 at 163). I'm looking for something that is incredibly damp, holds onto the ski hill like nobody's business, plows through any sort of nonsense that has accumulated at the end of the day, but like if I see something off the run over there or the gully is looking extra delicious I'm not going to be fighting for my life when I step off the groomer.

I went to Park City a couple of weekends ago and demo'd the Nordica Santa Ana 93, Head Kore 91, Volkl Secret 96, and Rossignol Rallybird 92. The Secret was my favorite and truly ripped down the mountain like it didn't have a care in the world, tons of fun. The Santa Ana was also really nice, easy to use and gripped the run well but didn't mentally make me cackle with glee the way the Secret did. I was about ready to just slap down the money to buy the Secret but then someone asked me, "well, why not try a narrower width if you want to mostly be on the frontside?"

So I'm planning on demoing the kenja/kendo (they're the same right, I just like the top sheet color of the kendo more) on Saturday, unless anyone has any better ideas? Something else in the 80s/90s I should consider?

teppaz

Angel Diva
I had Kenjas for years (I think the latest version I skied was the 2020 model) and they really fit what you're looking for, so demoing them is a great idea. The SkiEssential review of the 2023 model suggests the Kendo is slightly different.

For the past year my go-to frontside ski has been the Rossignol Experience 86 Ti, which has many of the same qualities as the Kenja, is both nimble and stable, and has really helped me improve my mogul game. Our buddies at SkiTalk love it as well. For me it's been a great mix of solid and fun.

Saraski

Certified Ski Diva
Nice! I looked at the article and I'm not seeing where it says that they're different, just that they received the same treatment/upgrades.

How does the Experience hold up on skied out groomers? That's where I felt the rallybird slipped a bit/felt a bit less powerful than the secret. I also don't really ski moguls by choice, it's more you know, if I made a wrong turn or for some reason still feel like I need more of a workout...

teppaz

Angel Diva
Nice! I looked at the article and I'm not seeing where it says that they're different, just that they received the same treatment/upgrades.

How does the Experience hold up on skied out groomers? That's where I felt the rallybird slipped a bit/felt a bit less powerful than the secret. I also don't really ski moguls by choice, it's more you know, if I made a wrong turn or for some reason still feel like I need more of a workout...
You're right, I misread the review of the Kenja/Kendo.

The Experience is great on skied-out groomers. It just plows through crud and piled-up crap, and has terrific edge hold in sketchy areas. I mentioned moguls to illustrate how nimble they can be. I have the system bindings (not my choice but I won the skis in a SkiTalk giveaway and they came like that), which makes them rather heavy and yet they still move surprisingly lightly.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
There is a whole fairly recent thread on Secret 96 vs Kenja 88 cage match started by @SnowHot
But I don't know how to provide the link.
I think consensus is that Secret 96 is more versatile for when you are off piste or if you find more than a few inches of snow.
I too found Secret 96/163 damp yet gave me confidence in bumps and crud. The setup with demo binding made it quite heavy, so I was skeptical that I'd find it maneuverable, but indeed it was.
I just demo'd Kenja 88/163 and found it very "natural feeling" but not necessarily confidence inspiring.
It's a different animal, but I want to try Blaze 86w before I decide on what bias I want for my "all-mountain" ski. I thought I like light skis, but maybe not.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking for a fun yet able the punch thru the crud and hold a decent edge ski at the start of this season. I have 5 days now on the Nordica Unleashed 98w and am very happy with it. Maybe one to add to your demo list if you wanted to stay at the high 90s underfoot.

shadoj

Angel Diva
For sure try the Kendos and/or the Kenjas, plus some true frontside carvers if you can (I'll let other Divas chime in on that); I did a brief review of the '23/24 Kenja vs Secret 96 last spring in this thread. I preferred the Secret, but it then again, it has less overlap with my current skis.

Also, welcome to the forum! Looking forward to reading about your next demo round. Once you have favorites, we'll give you plenty of moral support as you expand your quiver. Enablers? Naaah... :becky:

mustski

Angel Diva
I haven’t skied the Kenja/Kendo but I have taken my Secret 96 pretty much everywhere - trees, bumps, boot high powder, groomers, spring conditions, crud … you name it. They do shine everywhere. That said. I’m a Western skier so ice is a patch or two not really a a whole run. I also own the Experience 82ti which is my new frontside ski for when I know it will be a groomers only day. I can’t speak to the 86 but the 82s do not like crud! They get hung up. The Secrets are still my first love!

teppaz

Angel Diva
I haven’t skied the Kenja/Kendo but I have taken my Secret 96 pretty much everywhere - trees, bumps, boot high powder, groomers, spring conditions, crud … you name it. They do shine everywhere. That said. I’m a Western skier so ice is a patch or two not really a a whole run. I also own the Experience 82ti which is my new frontside ski for when I know it will be a groomers only day. I can’t speak to the 86 but the 82s do not like crud! They get hung up. The Secrets are still my first love!
Interesting to hear that about the Experience 82ti. I've found the 86ti to be great in crud. I felt like I was in a luxury car. It does need someone in control in the driver's seat. I have not tried the basalt version but it might be less assured in crud.

mustski

Angel Diva
I tried the basalt and wasn’t enthralled. It was very easy going but lacked fun factor. The ti is super fun but does like an active driver. Tat’s the reason I bought the 82ti. It submarined in deep spring piles and the only option was to back out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga