• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2023/24 Volkl Kenja 88 & Secret 96 Demos

shadoj

Angel Diva
I recently had a lucky opportunity to try out a couple pairs of Volkls over the course of a few days, courtesy of the local rep who wanted some feedback when my roommate picked up his Deacon 84s. (Thanks, Volkl guy!)

My stats: 4'10" (~147cm), ~105-110lbs (~47-50kg), athletic, BSL 265
Skill level: advanced (?)
My style: medium-fast speed, short-medium turns, mostly directional, versatile/dynamic, somewhat playful
Primary terrain: Midwest manmade hardpack, steeps, some bumps, baby jumps/rollers, moderate powder fluff, spring refreeze/thaw/3D ice chop, trees when there's enough cover. I also Mountain Host, which means tromping around on flats/uphill more than usual.

The Skis:

2021/22 Blizzard Black Pearl 82 (reference ski):
Bindings: Marker Squire ID
Length: 152cm
Weight/pair: ~10lbs w/ these bindings
Mount point: -10.9cm
Construction: wood + carbon + titanal binding plate
Category: All-Mountain
Dimensions: 119-82-103mm
Radius: 11.5m

2023/24 Volkl Kenja 88:
Bindings: Marker Squire Demo
Length: 156cm
Weight/pair: ~12lbs w/ these bindings
Mount point: -11cm (approx)
Construction: wood + carbon tips + partial titanal frame
Category: Freeride
Dimensions: 129-88-113mm
Radii (tip/mid/tail): 21/12/19m

2023/24 Volkl Secret 96:
Bindings: Marker Griffon Demo
Length: 156cm
Weight/pair: ~13.5lbs w/ these bindings
Mount point: -11cm (approx)
Construction: wood + carbon tips + partial titanal frame
Category: Freeride
Dimensions: 135-96-119mm
Radii (tip/mid/tail): 21/13/18m

The Test:

Conditions:
Day 1: 22F to 33F, sunny, firm snow softening throughout the day
Day 2: 45F to 39F, dark, chopped-up slush piles with standing water by lifts
Day 3: 11F to 14F, sunny, windy, ice under very-hardpack

Did not get to test the Volkls in fluffy powder, but I imagine they'd both do fine in several inches for a lightweight based on past performance by my Black Pearls in those conditions.

Methods/Notes:
Skied all three pairs of skis, all three days, starting with mine and then rotating between the others. Flat green runs through steep black runs, moguls (except Secrets), 3D piles, and baby rollers.

My arms are tired from equipment transport and skating uphill to the lift each time I swapped out models. Volkl skis are heavy! :smile:

The more-directional default mount points of all three of these skis allows my short legs to kick turn without a problem.

All skis here are rocker-camber-rocker, though the Black Pearls have fairly flat tails vs. partial twin tips on the Volkls.

Both models of Volkls are hefty, solid skis with a full sidewall and partial titanal laminates; they use Volkl's "3D Sidecut Radius" which allows access to different turn shapes & sizes based on how you pressure the ski.

All three skis make a distinct "metallic / wind-in-a-straw" noise on hard snow due to the carbon fiber in them, but both Volkls are noticeably louder than the BP82s.

2024 topsheets in this line have a "wintry geometric pastel" theme; the Kenja is purple-toned with purple text, and the Secret is sky-blue with (strangely) pink-copper text. Smaller text is a bit hard to read on both because it's printed over a moire background pattern. White sidewalls will always look dirty from first use onward... sigh. Gimme neon so I can find 'em in powder!

Available lengths in both Volkls: 149cm, 156cm, 163cm, 170cm. Secret 96 also in 177cm. Kendo 88 is the men's equivalent to the Kenja; Mantra M6 is the men's equivalent to the Secret.

The Verdicts:

Black Pearl 82 (reference):

Strengths: Forgiving, non-fatiguing. High performance ceiling. Skis track well for their weight. Very quick edge-to-edge. Great edge grip on ice/steeps. Tips pull smoothly into a carved turn; easy to vary turn shape. Easy to pivot despite fairly flat tail. Fun. Confidence-inspiring. Great in trees and bumps. Neon glowing-orange bases are groovy.
Weaknesses: Can get bogged down and/or kicked around by heavy/deep powder, 3D slush chop, 3D refrozen chop. Not solid enough for high-speed, high-edge-angle carving. Not super damp.
Notes: This is a good length for me on this ski. Medium-lightweight, average stiffness ski with great hard-snow performance. Sweet spot prefers a forward stance. I'd personally like it a tad stiffer, with a little less tip rocker.

Kenja 88:
Strengths: Playful, fun, can push into tight arcs or just smear and pivot. Well-balanced despite heavy weight.
Weaknesses: Strange vibration transmitting to my feet at speed on harder snow, along with vibrating tips. Not as good edge grip as the Black Pearl 82s nor Secret 96s on hard snow or at speed. Turn initiation felt a bit vague compared to the Secrets & BPs. Seemed a little catchy when trying to go from switch & back compared to the other 2 skis.
Notes: This is a slightly long length for me on this ski, noticeable in the moguls. Fairly heavy, somewhat stiff. Would be fun for me in maybe 154 with less tip rocker. The "3D Sidecut Radius" on these doesn't seem as intuitive/well-balaced as on the Secrets.

Secret 96:
Strengths: Confidence-inspiring. Cuts through heavy 3D snow like butter. Quick/easy to get on edge for the width. Easy to initiate a turn with subtle pressure. Easy to create precise and smooth dynamic turn shapes. Likes to go really fast, but can cruise along on the flats. Damp. Good edge grip -- flew across ice at speed on edge with no complaint. Good energy return between turns. Could push bigger arcs at high speed than the BP82s and Kenjas, especially in rough snow. Can still smear/release tails easily. If you do manage to catch air: nice solid suspended landing.
Weaknesses: Heavy. Fatiguing on hard snow or when riding lift. Not super-playful.
Notes: Wants to be driven with good technique, and rewards it with precise feedback. Even though they felt like pontoons when I first clicked in, they were never squirrely nor got in my way.

Summary:
None of these ski models really serve as direct competitors to one another, yet each could make a one-ski quiver depending on how/where you ski most! BP82s are great for harder snow, frontside carving, and non-tiring mogul/tree tight-corridor skiing. Kenjas are better in slightly softer snow, fun in the moguls, easy rotary drills, and have enough surface area to push against & smooth out some slop... or just hop off a pile. Secrets are trustworthy chargers, especially in crud... really fun to carve at speed in slightly soft snow, or just smoothly ride the less-steep areas in lazy arcs.

The Secrets best complement my current skis (if I could afford a quiver of 2), picking up where the Black Pearls fall short. The Kenjas kinda fall between the two, but with a softer-snow preference.

I'm returning the demos tomorrow, so y'all let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try on a couple laps. Sunshine's out; photo coming soon :smile:

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for sharing! I demoed the Secrets last season and really enjoyed them. I've been thinking about purchasing a pair to complement my Sheevas as something that will handle higher speeds and crud better off-piste but I've been debating on holding out to try the new 2024 Sheevas as they seem like they might be a nice middle ground between the older Sheevas and the Secrets.

Also I've never been on the Kenja but thought of them as if they were just a narrower Secret so I found it interesting you had a bit of a different experience on them.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you look at the pictures it's so hard to imagine that they're as heavy as they are. They appear thin. I believe you after telling you about those heavy as sin Revolts I tried!

What other skis do you have access to to demo?

shadoj

Angel Diva
When you look at the pictures it's so hard to imagine that they're as heavy as they are. They appear thin. I believe you after telling you about those heavy as sin Revolts I tried!

What other skis do you have access to to demo?
Thick sidewalls and metal, I guess, they're Volkls :smile:

I'll see if the rep will let me take more skis out for a spin, haha! I know there's a Yumi, which I believe is softer than the Kenja. Not as many options down in our size.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Thanks for sharing! I demoed the Secrets last season and really enjoyed them. I've been thinking about purchasing a pair to complement my Sheevas as something that will handle higher speeds and crud better off-piste but I've been debating on holding out to try the new 2024 Sheevas as they seem like they might be a nice middle ground between the older Sheevas and the Secrets.

Also I've never been on the Kenja but thought of them as if they were just a narrower Secret so I found it interesting you had a bit of a different experience on them.

The Secrets and Kenjas are very similar in construction. The Secrets seem to be a tiny bit easier to flex, IMO. Interestingly, the two have the same shape/length titanal binding plate (Secrets extend wider underfoot) and same width titanal tip/tail frames (moved inward towards the center on the Kenja).

I feel like something about my height/weight wasn't able to access the tip radius/engagement on the Kenjas in the way I could on the Secrets. Pressure didn't quite transmit from my toes/BOF in the same way.

Someone a bit taller or heavier may have had a very different experience on the Kenjas at 156cm. The 156cm Secrets felt like the right length for me on their ideal terrain.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I wonder if the Kenja had a bad tune? They should have been solid on hard snow with smooth tip engagement. Were the bindings that same on Kanjis as Secrets?
Nope, demo Squires on the Kenjas and demo Griffons on the Secrets. Skis did get rewaxed/deburred. Just didn't feel 'em in the same way, I guess? I mean, I could pull the Kenjas into really tight arcs, but the pressure response curve felt more natural on the Secrets.

The Kenjas weren't "bad" on hard snow, but I felt I had less effective edge biting than the other 2 skis on hardpack.

I suppose the vibration could be length-specific, too. Carbon tip reinforcements appear to have the same geometry on both the Secrets and the Kenjas. Tip/waist/tail don't vary between lengths, just the amount of metal.

mustski

Angel Diva
I'm betting it was those Griffin bindings. I have the Secrets with the Griffins and those are kick ass bindings - solid and they communicate with the ski like nobody's business. I have more fun on my Secrets than I have ever had on any other ski in my life. I feel like they are part of my body. My Griffins started to give me a hard time in Taos - tough to click in. I had them tested and they checked out fine but they have grown much stiffer than they were for the last year. I love them so much though that I am buying some new Griffon demos with the TCX heel and plan to just slide the new toe piece and heel piece onto my demo rails. The TCX heel is considerably less stiff than the original heel. Then I'll sell my current Griffins with the new demo rail. They are by far the best binding I have ever skied.

I say all this because if you buy Secrets, be sure to get the Griffins ... just make sure they have the TCX heel!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh I do like the colour on the new Kenjas - is it just a new topsheet, or did they soften them again for '24? I'm intrigued to try the Secret as well, it was impossible to find them here last year to try.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great review @shadoj ! I was curious about the Kenjas b/c two instructors (Taos, Aspen) have recommended them to me in the past. I've never gotten the chance to demo them, however. Right now I'm on the Volkl Blaze and love them. I have them w/me this week in Vail and the conditions should be perfect for them. That said, I may see if any of the shops have a demo Kenja just for grins and giggles.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Oh I do like the colour on the new Kenjas - is it just a new topsheet, or did they soften them again for '24? I'm intrigued to try the Secret as well, it was impossible to find them here last year to try.
Supposedly just topsheet changes on both the Kenjas and Secrets for 23/24. I really do like the purple!

Rep didn't have any other models left in my length; manufacturer's whim on which sizes he gets each season. Both demos still available to buy, though! :becky:

Aaaaaa! I do not need more skis yet. I do not need more skis yet. I do not need more skis yet...

Didn't ski the Kenjas today, but I did take the Secrets out as things softened up during the day for more fun. Discovered the moguls had NOT thawed out like the rest of the runs, so that was a surprise... managed to ski them capably rather than survival-flail. Would be fun in big soft bumps out west.

@BlizzardBabe -- which model year were the instructors using? There have been construction changes in the last couple versions. I'd love to be able to ski the "old" Kenjas for comparison, or the current 149cms, to figure out why I didn't click with the 156s. I did find them very versatile! Really great for pivot/side-slipping & falling-leaf, which can happen a lot in an instructor setting!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Supposedly just topsheet changes on both the Kenjas and Secrets for 23/24. I really do like the purple!
Thanks! I'm unconvinced about what Volkl have done to the Kenjas (I'm still keeping an eye out in case a 156 from 2020 or 2021 appears) but keen to see if the Secrets will magically be the sweet spot between my old Kenjas and the Blaze 94.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just curious if you've ever been on the Santa Ana 98 and if so how it compares to the Secret?

shadoj

Angel Diva
Just curious if you've ever been on the Santa Ana 98 and if so how it compares to the Secret?
I have not, but I believe it has comparatively more rocker. I kinda fall in the weird in-between size range for the Santa Ana line... the 151ish skis won't have enough effective edge for my liking, but 158 ultimately seems a bit long overall -- note that the directionally-mounted 156 Secrets are nearing the length limit for tail behind my foot. The Secret is much less rockered than the Kenja, too, which seemingly meshes better with my skiing style.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@BlizzardBabe -- which model year were the instructors using? There have been construction changes in the last couple versions. I'd love to be able to ski the "old" Kenjas for comparison, or the current 149cms, to figure out why I didn't click with the 156s. I did find them very versatile! Really great for pivot/side-slipping & falling-leaf, which can happen a lot in an instructor setting!
Both times it was pre-pandemic, so it has been 4 or 5 years. The instructors were at Aspen and Taos.

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
I am embarrassed to admit that I’ve stalked out the answer on this … I demoed the 2023 Kenjas and loved them, but liked the 2024 top sheet so much more than 2023. It was confirmed for me the 2024 ski is identical to 2023, but for the top sheet. I’m going to buy the 2024 as soon as I can nab my length (I need the 149)!

Laroken

Certified Ski Diva
Great review @shadoj ! I was curious about the Kenjas b/c two instructors (Taos, Aspen) have recommended them to me in the past. I've never gotten the chance to demo them, however. Right now I'm on the Volkl Blaze and love them. I have them w/me this week in Vail and the conditions should be perfect for them. That said, I may see if any of the shops have a demo Kenja just for grins and giggles.
Vail is where I demoed the Kenjas … they had both the 149 and 156 at Vail Sports, to the extent that helps!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna