• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Blaze 86w

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
How come? Did you write up what you experienced your one day on them? Curious how it went.. although I guess apparently not good? :(
Yes, sorry. I am so used to a narrow ski that it was a bit much for me. I just felt I really had to push myself to be in control and felt like I was struggling to maintain contact with and flex my boots. It’s hard to explain. I loved how lite they are. I just should have demoed before the shot gun purchase. I’m not a well versed enough skier to explain better. I’m still on my first pair from 2019 and very happy as I slowly progress. Really it was a Diva enabled purchase. lol. I only ski 5-10 days a year and that is if we are lucky.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I asked about the 3 radii thing on SkiTalk last year, i.e., is it a gimmick??, and my takeaway is that it's the difference between being lazy in your turns and not lazy. :noidea: More lazy turn = longer radius.

Also, I agree with @MissySki . You sell yourself short, @tinymoose !!
Hah! I was just reading that thread still trying to make sense of it all... I'm only slightly less confused. My takeaway though is probably I was keeping them on a higher edge angle (yes, apparently even in the softer snow... although it was all groomers anyhow) which is probably why I was only feeling how turny they were. That being said I can't say I remember feeling that they fought me on extending the turn, but I didn't take super clear notes right after trying them either to really remember.

I will say after two days of lessons, I could give you a pretty extensive list of things I need to fix in my skiing so I'm not feeling so great about it right now. lol

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, sorry. I am so used to a narrow ski that it was a bit much for me. I just felt I really had to push myself to be in control and felt like I was struggling to maintain contact with and flex my boots. It’s hard to explain. I loved how lite they are. I just should have demoed before the shot gun purchase. I’m not a well versed enough skier to explain better. I’m still on my first pair from 2019 and very happy as I slowly progress. Really it was a Diva enabled purchase. lol. I only ski 5-10 days a year and that is if we are lucky.
If they don't sell, maybe it can be your grow-into ski? But at that price with the system bindings, they will likely sell.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
If they don't sell, maybe it can be your grow-into ski? But at that price with the system bindings, they will likely sell.
Yes, I didn’t mark them up, actually down a bit. Not sure about shipping but the buyer always takes care of that in my history. They are nice skis. Awesome weight etc. just not for me. Oh sure, I could keep them but when I barely get to ski 5-10 a year, it’s hard to work on them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Don’t feel bad, ski choice is very subjective! I demo first as a rule only because I have had plenty of occasions where I try a popular ski and hate it. And many are just, okay. It takes time to figure it all out. Sometimes when you are very used to one ski it also takes time to figure out how to best ski another and how they like to be driven etc. That being said, for me, if it’s not a hell yes it’s a no when deciding what to actually add to my quiver. If it doesn’t make me smile and never want to give it back, it’s not gonna make the cut. :smile:

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Don’t feel bad, ski choice is very subjective! I demo first as a rule only because I have had plenty of occasions where I try a popular ski and hate it. And many are just, okay. It takes time to figure it all out. Sometimes when you are very used to one ski it also takes time to figure out how to best ski another and how they like to be driven etc. That being said, for me, if it’s not a hell yes it’s a no when deciding what to actually add to my quiver. If it doesn’t make me smile and never want to give it back, it’s not gonna make the cut. :smile:
Right... smile and fun!

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's why I'm selling it. I could have stayed on it all day but why bother. I knew after a few short runs it just wasn't for me. ;)

I've 100% had that happen with skis. I'll usually ski something 2 to 3 times and if I either hate them or am just otherwise not wowed then I sell them. An example of this for me was my Nordica Santa Ana 84s. They were fine, did everything I asked but just didn't jazz me so I'm selling them. Some skis grab me right away, kastle mx83, renoun z90 and stockli stormrider 85 motion. With these I knew pretty much from the first turn off the chair that they were for me.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I will say after two days of lessons, I could give you a pretty extensive list of things I need to fix in my skiing so I'm not feeling so great about it right now. lol
Just calling this out to say I felt EXACTLY the same way after attending the Your Turn clinic last year but that now, a year later, I can tell what difference that intensive experience made. I am looking forward to your review of it (in an appropriate thread!)

MissySki

Angel Diva
Maybe I’ll demo at steamboat. I’m sure they are good in steep bumps and trees like at Taos…but maybe not for long steep groomers. But then, I’d want them for bumps and trees, not groomers!
As an update.. no issues for me on long steep groomers at Steamboat on my Blaze 86s the first two days of Diva West . The groomers here are certainly softer than what I ski on usually, and the fresh corduroy in the morning especially makes for a delightful turning surface.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
As an update.. no issues for me on long steep groomers at Steamboat on my Blaze 86s the first two days of Diva West . The groomers here are certainly softer than what I ski on usually, and the fresh corduroy in the morning especially makes for a delightful turning surface.
Hmm maybe I do need to demo!

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I should have my blaze's in a 166 in my hot little hands by this Friday. I'll be in VT so won't be able to touch them until Monday night but still.. I'm hoping they'll arrive before friday so I can bring them VT with me. They are tuned so just need a release check/din set so my shop should be able to do that pretty quick. I just can't be without my boot for more than an hour over the next week. Anxious to ski these puppies and see if I feel the love everyone else has for them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga