• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont 19-20

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't even know what's happening outside my central Vermont window right now.

I stepped outside briefly earlier thinking I would go for a walk.

NO.

:nono:

I would say it's gray and depressing except for the life-threatening thrill of being pelted with sideways freezing rain, which REALLY HURTS.

It's too dangerous to drive anywhere even if you could make it to your car without being murdered by frozen sky-bullets.

I decided to shelter in place with an extremely old cat and some nice safe India Pale Ale and see if this storm shakes out some snow between now and tomorrow. FINGERS CROSSED.

newboots

Angel Diva
. . .
It's too dangerous to drive anywhere even if you could make it to your car without being murdered by frozen sky-bullets.

I decided to shelter in place with an extremely old cat and some nice safe India Pale Ale and see if this storm shakes out some snow between now and tomorrow. FINGERS CROSSED.

Hah! Sky bullets! I got hit while going out to take care of the chickens.

9:25 pm. It's snowing here. Yay!

newboots

Angel Diva
Killington had a few inches (4?) of beautiful powder. Somehow we got first tracks on Cruise Control! Several lifts were closed, and there is a snowmaking problem on Outer Limits and at least one other trail above Bear Mountain Lodge, making the holiday crowd seem even bigger. We skied from 8 to 10 - perfect. We are so lucky to live nearby and hold season passes!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just in case anyone is following this thread and can get away for a day trip the Monday after the Super Bowl at Magic, read on if you missed the thread by @marymack . The company that set up the even is No Boundaries, which is for skiing in the northeast based on free membership and discounted lift tickets.

1/29/2020, Boston Herald
Ski Wednesday: Free skiing coming to Magic…
" . . .
The Magic Mountain event, slated for Monday (the day after the Super Bowl; perfect for mourning Pats fans), is 100% free. The only string: they ask that you sign up as a member of their website (which is free) either beforehand or on that day. They actually rented out Magic Mountain for the day, an investment they feel shows their dedication to making skiing affordable.

“We decided to put our money where our mouth is and truly make sure everyone has an affordable option for skiing and riding,” he said of the day.

Dubbed the “No Boundaries Free Day,” they added another great ski world twist to it: the day will benefit Boston’s Youth Enrichment Services (YES) program, one that has been working for years with their Operation Snowsports program to bring those who may not otherwise have access to the slopes.
. . ."

kfly

Diva in Training
Heading to Killington this week for my first trip East. Any news on the conditions? Best runs? Places to eat?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Heading to Killington this week for my first trip East. Any news on the conditions? Best runs? Places to eat?

I can't speak to Killington conditions; they are still not 100% open (but I notice they are charging north of $100 for a day ticket). This has been a terrible season for snow so far, so K is getting by on its snowmaking capacity.

Recommendation: I just got back from skiing Bolton Valley yesterday and I was blown away by how good the snow was. There was even a ton of glade skiing. It was far and away the best snow I've skied on this year. About a half-mile from the base lodge as you drive up the access road, all of a sudden there was about two feet of snow on the ground and it looked like a winter wonderland. If I were driving any distance up here to ski, I'd keep going past Killington and hit BV or Stowe.

Here's a shot from Bolton yesterday:

BV Snow.png

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Can't speak to Killington either but we were at Smuggs today and conditions were great! Big recovery from the early January rain/thaw we had a few weeks back.

newboots

Angel Diva
I can't speak to Killington conditions; they are still not 100% open (but I notice they are charging north of $100 for a day ticket). This has been a terrible season for snow so far, so K is getting by on its snowmaking capacity.

Recommendation: I just got back from skiing Bolton Valley yesterday and I was blown away by how good the snow was. There was even a ton of glade skiing. It was far and away the best snow I've skied on this year.

I skied at Bolton on Tuesday and it was, indeed, lovely. I happened upon a blue trail, Cobrass, that was ungroomed and completely bumpy and rocky. I would have liked a warning (my new skis!). But the snow was great!

However, Killington had great snow on Saturday when I was there. I’m not sure what might not be open; I didn’t see anything closed. Probably some double diamond trails with no snowmaking, like Devil’s Fiddle.

For trail recommendations, what sort of skiing are you looking for? Gentle cruisers, bumps, glades, incredible views?

I’m not the best skier here but I have some sources, and I ski Killington. In fact, if you’re interested in company I would love to meet up with you! We could do a few runs. I’m limited to green and blue at Killington.

Food: for dinner we love the Back Behind, just a bit down Rt. 4 east. At lunch, there is some startlingly good food at the Peak. And the view is spectacular!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied at Bolton on Tuesday and it was, indeed, lovely. I happened upon a blue trail, Cobrass, that was ungroomed and completely bumpy and rocky. I would have liked a warning (my new skis!). But the snow was great!

Oooo, I ended up on Cobrass yesterday expecting a mellow blue. It was fun except for one ledge that comprised only icy bumps with some severe ruts in between. It caused a friendly traffic-jam of intermediates looking at it and thinking things like "huh" and "oh, boy." But we all made it and thank goodness there was no video. :-)

newboots

Angel Diva
Oooo, I ended up on Cobrass yesterday expecting a mellow blue. It was fun except for one ledge that comprised only icy bumps with some severe ruts in between. It caused a friendly traffic-jam of intermediates looking at it and thinking things like "huh" and "oh, boy." But we all made it and thank goodness there was no video. :-)

I, too, perused the map for the mellow blue I wanted to ski, and ended up on Cobrass. Did you notice that the bumps don't start until you're a bit of the way down? Pretty difficult to turn around there. I was super-careful of my skis, this having been their fourth day on snow! I fell once, and did one of those tip-pver not-quite-falls twice. But I was sad, because I wanted to get on those glades but I wasn't up to more potential bumps. But, lovely snow! It fell all day.

In other news, yesterday at Killington I broke a tree. Thank goodness, on my old skis! (I'm fine, I was almost stopped when I smelled the lovely balsam scent.)

IMG_0124.jpg

Okay. I tried four different methods to try to get it right-side up. Apologies. This is the tree I broke. That's my ski in the foreground on the right.

newboots

Angel Diva
So, @newboots, as you slid into that tree, were you sliding head first? Facing up? Or feet first?
I'm so glad you aren't broken. Skis OK?

I was going very slowly (it was an attempted stop) and my skis went in ahead of me. In fact, I was only under the tree from my knees down. I was lying on my back laughing. My skis are fine - Mr. Blizzard said it was time for a tune so he re-flattened the base (something he said new skis should have their bases flattened after 5-6 times skiing).

All is well. Thanks for asking!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Flattening bases every 5-6 days of skiing is overdoing it, IME. I get my bases done once a year. But those are stone-grinds. Maybe you don't mean stone-grinding the bases to flat.

Is Mr. Blizzard doing the flattening by hand, and adding structure each time? That's a different situation, but still seems like a lot of base work. I don't have access to a Mr. Blizzard, and I don't mess with my bases myself.

newboots

Angel Diva
Flattening bases every 5-6 days of skiing is overdoing it, IME. I get my bases done once a year. But those are stone-grinds. Maybe you don't mean stone-grinding the bases to flat.

Oops, no! I wasn't clear. He believes in flattening new skis after their first 5-6 day. Not every 5-6 days. I expect there would be no more flattening (however he does it) for another year unless something happened to the skis.

NYC2VT

Certified Ski Diva

hey kfly- i was at Killington Saturday and yesterday, and conditions were good/very good. not sure what your preferred conditions are (especially if you're not from the east coast) but on Saturday, we got there around noon after skiing Pico in the AM with my youngest niece, and it was crowded with lots of piles built up on the blues around Skye Peak. but not much ice, and it was too cold for slush. the trails without snowmaking were also in good condition for how much less natural snow they've gotten this year- Roundabout and Roundabout Glades for instance still had plenty of cover.

yesterday it was obviously quiet being a Monday and everything was in great shape.

both days it was a bit foggy at the summits and made it pretty flat vision-wise.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Should I ski Smuggs on Friday? It's supposed to dump all day. Maybe I should wait till Sunday. Or I could go to Bolton on Monday...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna