• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont 19-20

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I left the gym just as it was switching over. Whew - good to see snow again. The roads are an adventure, though!! It's due to drop to single digits overnight and be windy. At least this snow will last for a day or two! :becky:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Since we were committed to staying off the roads today, the noble pug dog and I (and our other furry friends) did some sledding in the front yard.

AFE3583D-EAC4-4437-9441-9282ADFA918F.jpeg

I tried to do some yard turns but it was weirdly impossible. We’ve had snow coming down steadily since 10:30am but it all rested on a thick sheet of ice, so I couldn’t turn. Instead I just broke the ice crust underneath the snow and made jagged edges to poke myself with. Ouch. I'm assuming that they'll groom all this at the resorts!

newboots

Angel Diva
Since we were committed to staying off the roads today, the noble pug dog and I (and our other furry friends) did some sledding in the front yard.

View attachment 12073

I tried to do some yard turns but it was weirdly impossible. We’ve had snow coming down steadily since 10:30am but it all rested on a thick sheet of ice, so I couldn’t turn. Instead I just broke the ice crust underneath the snow and made jagged edges to poke myself with. Ouch. I'm assuming that they'll groom all this at the resorts!

Yes! They run the snow cat over it and turn that ice into death cookies!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I totally realize that the precipitation mix will be different in Maine, but I encourage you to wait until the wee hours of the morning just to give the road crew mode time to deal with stuff :smile:

Ugh, I was indeed ready to leave at 3am, and then Zoey had an upset stomach and threw up several times right before then and was suddenly very lethargic (all of which is very abnormal for her). So we decided to stay home in case it persisted and we weren’t sure if the 4 hour car ride would go over well at that point anyway.. She is a little more herself this morning, but still kind of low energy so she’s got a vet appointment this afternoon to get checked out. So now I’m worried about her, but less so this morning than last night, AND super disappointed that we aren’t on the mountain right now as I was so stoked for this weekend! :cry:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, I was indeed ready to leave at 3am, and then Zoey had an upset stomach and threw up several times right before then and was suddenly very lethargic (all of which is very abnormal for her). So we decided to stay home in case it persisted and we weren’t sure if the 4 hour car ride would go over well at that point anyway.. She is a little more herself this morning, but still kind of low energy so she’s got a vet appointment this afternoon to get checked out. So now I’m worried about her, but less so this morning than last night, AND super disappointed that we aren’t on the mountain right now as I was so stoked for this weekend! :cry:

Sad, but fur children are important, too. How did the vet appointment go?

I'm already feeling badly to take my cat to RI next weekend (leaving town for school vacation week) then back to VT for one week, and back to RI so I can go to UT. I always worry about Shae when I'm away. She is 12 now and more set in her ways. She looked so sad when I got back last year after being alone more of the time than usual. :cry: I hope one of my friends can stop in on top of the cat carer going in once a day.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sad, but fur children are important, too. How did the vet appointment go?

I'm already feeling badly to take my cat to RI next weekend (leaving town for school vacation week) then back to VT for one week, and back to RI so I can go to UT. I always worry about Shae when I'm away. She is 12 now and more set in her ways. She looked so sad when I got back last year after being alone more of the time than usual. :cry: I hope one of my friends can stop in on top of the cat carer going in once a day.

Oh definitely, she takes precedent!

The vet is thinking either mild pancreatitis or just an upset stomach. She is on daily low dose steroids for chronic bronchitis, so apparently both pancreatitis and stomach upset from ulcers etc. can be more common. Since she kept her food down this morning, she is leaning towards the upset. She got a couple of injections for anti-vomit and nausea and some prescription food for a couple of days along with probiotics and pepcid for a couple of weeks. If she restarts the vomiting in the meantime we’ll be doing bloodwork to check her pancreas numbers.

I feel your pain, I hate leaving her when I go away! Luckily for diva west my fiancé was home so we didn’t need to do a sitter. She was apparently keeping guard like she was waiting for me to come home each night still which totally pulled on my heartstrings while I was away!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh definitely, she takes precedent!
I feel your pain, I hate leaving her when I go away! Luckily for diva west my fiancé was home so we didn’t need to do a sitter. She was apparently keeping guard like she was waiting for me to come home each night still which totally pulled on my heartstrings while I was away!

Aww, poor kitty; I hope she feels better.
I just lost my 20-year-old sweet curmudgeon and am having to restrain myself from going to the humane society. With being away a lot for skiing and living part-time at school and part-time at home, it would be too stressful (for the kitty) to adopt right now. Come June, though, someone's going to get a forever home.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
Jack? Oh, @SallyCat , I’m so sorry! Jack was a sweet soul even though he liked to howl all the time and was demanding. He was handsome, friendly, and was a good egg despite it all. I will miss your Jack stories!
:frown:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you both! Jack was a handsome sweetie. I teased him because he was a funny old coot, but I loved him to the moon.

On a ski-related note, I found myself thinking about dog ownership this past year, and in the green and shoulder seasons that would probably work, but skiing is tricky. The long days and weekends away would make it impractical. It's too bad, because I would love to give a pup a good home, but in the end I don't think it would be fair. Perhaps a thread about the logistics of pets and skiing is in order?

Like2Ski

Angel Diva
Aww, poor kitty; I hope she feels better.
I just lost my 20-year-old sweet curmudgeon and am having to restrain myself from going to the humane society. With being away a lot for skiing and living part-time at school and part-time at home, it would be too stressful (for the kitty) to adopt right now. Come June, though, someone's going to get a forever home.

So sorry about your kitty! I have two cats that are my babies. My dad comes to take care of them when I ski but I can tell they get sad. I leave them too much. I wish I could take them with me!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Sorry about your loss @SallyCat.

I’m feeling guilty about Rascal being alone this week. I have a friend coming in tomorrow, but she doesn’t stay long enough for the cat come out. She’s kind of standoffish, especially when we’ve only been gone a day. Then my sister will come on Tues/Thurs. She might see Rascal on Tuesday, definitely will on Thursday, even if it’s only from across the room.

When DH gets home on Saturday, he’ll get all the love. By the time I get home on Monday it won’t mean anything to her, lol.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the pleasure today to ski off the T-Bar at Ascutney and was very pleasantly surprised at how great the skiing was! This was only day 2 of the new T-bar, so it was an exciting day. Ascutney relies on natural snow, so it's been a long wait to opening day this season. It was a really fun day and I recommend it enthusiastically for a change of pace, the local old-school vibe, and as an affordable way to get on snow.

There is a mid-station exit point on the t-bar for beginners looking to stick to the easier terrain. If you continue up to the top, you can access a pretty remarkable variety of trails to the left and right of the lift. Most trails are groomed, some are left ungroomed, and there is tree skiing if conditions allow. The cover was still a bit thin today, but it skied very well and I only stopped because my legs were worn out; there's definitely more to explore than I got to ski today.

There's a nice base lodge with a full kitchen and fridge if you want to bring your own food (there is no food service). There are tubing lanes just downhill from the ski area as well. The Brownsville Butcher and Pantry is your place to go for groceries, brunch, and an incredible wine and craft beer selection. Check their hours, though: food service on Sundays usually stops at 2. But Fridays and Saturdays are great for dinner.

At $15 for a day ticket and $100 for a season pass, Ascutney's a good deal, especially for families.

Go here and/or follow Ascutney Outdoors on Facebook for updates on operating hours and snow conditions.

kfly

Diva in Training
I skied for 3 days in Killington - Friday freezing rain turned to snow, Saturday Sunny, 6 degrees and 20mph wind, Sunday --Perfect. I loved Cruise Control, skied it many times. Some of the runs were very icy and others pretty good, some great. It just depended on which part of the mountain you were on and which day. LOL.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Enjoyed two days of weekday skiing at Bolton Valley this week. Great snow today and hardly anyone on the mountain until the school groups showed up around 2pm. Even then, it wasn't hectic. It's been so cloudy/foggy every time I've been here that it took me two full visits to notice the giant wind turbine at the summit, literally 50 yards from the chairlift! Never a boring run here.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Enjoyed two days of weekday skiing at Bolton Valley this week. Great snow today and hardly anyone on the mountain until the school groups showed up around 2pm. Even then, it wasn't hectic. It's been so cloudy/foggy every time I've been here that it took me two full visits to notice the giant wind turbine at the summit, literally 50 yards from the chairlift! Never a boring run here.

@SallyCat, may I present:
15262877-55EC-43C3-BA4C-64101F55BED8.jpeg
It’s really nice to hike up to the top of the Vista quad and go up the fire tower a bit beyond. The views are spectacular.

knolan12

Angel Diva
Hi all,

Headed to Bolton Valley a week from today for the first time! Looking for recommendations/some questions:

1. How long is Sherman's Pass from summit to base? Is it fairly flat or are there pitches?
2. I'm trying to build up some confidence with my technique on steeper terrain. Ideally, looking for something among the Greens that has a little pitch, but won't have me sacrificing form for fear. Also, into an "easier" Blue
3. My husband is an advanced skiier. Any particularly fun runs I can point him to?

Thanks, Divas!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure about length but Sherman's Pass does not have much pitch and is very beginner-friendly. Alta Vista is a nice wide blue that has a little more pitch; it's relatively short and then joins Shermans, so you're not committed the whole way down if you're not comfortable on it.

The mid-mountain chair is a good place to start if it's running; you have a lot of options from there and the run right under the chair (Beech Seal) has some modest pitch and is very wide.

The one thing you might want to be prepared for is low visibility and flat light; it can get pretty socked in.

I've only been to Bolton a few times and I tend to wander around without always knowing exactly what trail I'm on (don't worry; I'm absolutely certain about the ones I recommended above!). I am a cautious intermediate and have never had a problem on any marked trail. The only challenge was Cobrass, which seems to be left ungroomed and even that was pretty tame except for one icy ledge area. And honestly, the worst thing that would have happened there is that I'd have taken off my skis and skirted the ledge by walking in the woods very briefly, so it wasn't scary, just tricky.

The snow at Bolton has been incredible this season; I really like that place a lot. Have fun!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna