• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vail makes helmets mandatory for employees

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We've had a lot of threads about helmets --- some people are for 'em, some against.

As I've said before, I think it's a personal decision. I mean, how well you protect yourself should be up to you. However, I've mentioned before that they should be mandatory for three groups: kids, patrollers and instructors (the last two at least while they're on the job-- just because I think it presents a good example).

Now Vail has gone and made helmets mandatory for employees and kids in the '09/'10 season.

Here's the text of the press release I received from them today:

Vail Resorts Makes Helmets Mandatory for Employees in 2009-2010 Winter Season

Company also announced that helmets will be required for all children’s group ski and ride lessons and as part of their rental packages

BROOMFIELD, Colo.—April 13, 2009—Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE:MTN) today announced that, beginning with the 2009-2010 winter season, the Company will require all employees to wear helmets when skiing or riding on the job at each of its five mountain resorts: Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Heavenly. Helmets will be provided to every employee next fall as part of their standard uniform for working on the mountain. This new initiative is part of Vail Resorts’ overall commitment to skier and snowboarder safety programs.

“At Vail Resorts, the safety of our employees and guests is a top priority and we believe the time has come for us to take our commitment to safety to the next level. Our employees will set the example next year for all who enjoy skiing and riding our slopes,” said John Garnsey, co-president of Vail Resorts’ Mountain Division and chief operating officer of Beaver Creek Resort.

The Company also announced that it will require all children, ages 12 and under, who participate in a group lesson through one of its five resorts’ ski and ride schools to wear a helmet. Furthermore, a helmet will become a required part of any child’s (ages 12 and under) ski and snowboard rental package offered at all of Vail Resorts’ retail and rental outlets, unless a parent or legal guardian signs a waiver to decline use of the equipment.

“We firmly believe when children are participating in our ski and ride school programs that we must provide them with the proper equipment that promotes enjoyment of the sport while also reducing the possibility of injury. Even though we will now require children in our ski and ride schools to wear helmets and make them a mandatory part of every child’s rental package, we strongly recommend the use of helmets for all of our guests, regardless of their age or ability level,” said Blaise Carrig, co-president of Vail Resorts’ Mountain Division and chief operating officer of Heavenly Mountain Resort.

Maybe they read TheSkiDiva.com? :wink:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily against -- I guess that was the wrong word -- but some people seem to think they don't provide much protection in a high speed crash, so they don't think wearing them is that big of a deal.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am 100% in agreement.

All kids...wear helmets. And, if you are on duty and in uniform, then wearing a helmet should be required. And, for your reason exactly, Wendy, to set a good example.

What they want to wear on their free time and out of uniform is their own business.

Marigee

Angel Diva
I am 100% in agreement.

All kids...wear helmets. And, if you are on duty and in uniform, then wearing a helmet should be required. And, for your reason exactly, Wendy, to set a good example.

What they want to wear on their free time and out of uniform is their own business.

Ditto for me. It bothers me especially when I see Patrollers not wearing helmets.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not necessarily against -- I guess that was the wrong word -- but some people seem to think they don't provide much protection in a high speed crash, so they don't think wearing them is that big of a deal.

Not to hijack, but as I have made similar statements, which have been similarly misinterpreted: It isn't at all that wearing one "isn't that big of a deal." It's very much a caution to continue to ski conservatively with a helmet precisely because it might not help much in a high-speed crash. It was never an issue of, Well, why bother!

I really don't think there is that much disagreement, when it comes to for or against. Just misunderstanding that sometimes feels like misrepresentation, and begins to verge on moral judgment.

That said, I wear a helmet about 96% of the time when I'm on skis. But no, not 100%.

I agree with making it mandatory for instructors and kids, not so sure about patrollers. They are not necessarily role models in direct contact with kids like instructors are, and they spend most of their time doing stuff other than skiing. (And, you know, a helmet might not help in an explosives accident! :eyebrows::laugh:)

That said, I'm not sure where you draw the line, and patrollers are first and foremost about safety, and they do recommend the use of helmets, so ....

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I'm in agreement that a resort should be able to enforces rules for its employees and minors, I'm not sure that vail resorts is going about this in the right way.

Vail resorts has a "safety" initiative that was implemented this past year to make their employees and patrons safer, yet their preliminary statistics don't reveal an effective outcome.

As I've said before in other helmet threads, I wear a helmet and am all for helmet use, but I also have some extremely good friends who are amazing skiers who will not wear a helmet. I do not pass judgement and I do not expect them to follow the Vail resorts rule. I'm guessing Vail will lose some very good employees over this.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm guessing their insurance coverage is the reason this is happening. It's probably cheaper for them in the long run to buy helmets for all employees for discounted insurance rates.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing their insurance coverage is the reason this is happening. It's probably cheaper for them in the long run to buy helmets for all employees for discounted insurance rates.

I'm thinking that, too.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vail Resorts is self-insured for Workers' Compensation (WC), so every person that gets hurt on the job is money directly out of Vail Resorts pocket. They don't purchase an insurance policy which covers injured employees. Colorado also has a safety rule violation in their WC Act so that if the company has a safety rule and an employee is injured due to violation of safety rule, the injured employee's benefits can be reduced.

I really don't see that employees will quit over the mandatory helmet issue. I teach at Breckenridge, most of the instructors wear helmets.

My experience this year has been that the mountains have become much more dangerous places. There are more out of control skiers/boarders than in the past. I am not sure why or how or maybe it is just coincidence, but I have seen so many more collisions than in the past.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My personal opinion, and this is just my personal opinion, mind you, is that since patrollers are all about safety, we ought to be wearing helmets. I will always wear a helmet. I won't think badly about anyone not wearing a helmet, however; it's their choice, and I'll assume they're aware of the risks. Unless they go around making a big deal of how they think helmets are stupid. Then I'll speak up.

I would also humbly submit that being involved in a high speed collision is not the only way to sustain a head injury. The most common head injury I see is the person who has slipped and fallen backwards, hitting his or her head on the hard snow. In fact, in my experience, high speed collisions don't happen all that often. (knock on wood) But even in a high speed collision, a helmet could be the difference between a TBI resulting in lifelong neurological problems and a simple concussion.

I apologize for the rant, but I do feel strongly about helmets. Comes from being in the EMS business, I guess, and having the chance to see many times over how people have benefitted from wearing helmets or could have been helped if they'd been wearing one.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The most common head injury I see is the person who has slipped and fallen backwards, hitting his or her head
While skiing or otherwise! Can't tell you how many parking lot slips I've seen! :eek: At ski areas and everywhere else!!

Interesting announcement by Vail, and I'm wondering if they will be setting a precedent that will be followed by other resort owners.....

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

How many head injuries do employees get? I would guess injuries to knees and shoulders etc absolutely dwarf the number, but that's, as I said, a guess.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I work in an industry that requires a uniform and a certain color that I "have" to wear. I would be sent home and/or put on dsciplinary action if I go against it. It has nothing to do with my or my patient's safety. Out side of work I choose not to ever wear "carribean blue".

My brother is a cop. He has a uniform w/ accessories (ha!) that are required. It "could" be unsafe to him or the people that are around him if he would go against the uniform requirements. It promotes a safe working evironment. Outside of work, he "chooses" not to wear his bullet proof vest at all times, but does "choose" to carry his gun. That is his choice when he is off duty.

I think of you are an employee at a resort, wearing a uniform, your should wear a helmet while skiing to promote a safe working environment.. This should be part of their profession. This should not be a discussion about the pros & cons of helmets.

What if construction worker decided not to wear their hardhats? It promotes safety, albeit I think OSHA dictates the hardhats in construction sites.

Off the clock, do as you will. Including the boarder should be able to ride the Burton Playboy snowboards w/o helmets off duty.

A friend posted this on my FB:
knew this way coming as of last week when I was there...there will be loopholes, i.e. don't wear it if you don't want to, but then no workers comp coverage. I personally don't like the idea of being told I have to wear one, but that's just me and I'm old school"

He was an instructor/demo team/race coach at BC years ago and still has many friends that work there. By his comment, yep...it's about insurance. We'll see.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is the communication that went out to employees this morning.

To All Employees:

Today our company is announcing that beginning in the 2009/2010 season, all employees will be required to wear a helmet while skiing, riding or snowmobiling during work. This was not an easy decision and both of us are intimately aware of the wide range of reactions that will likely result. However, we can assure each of you that this decision was not made lightly and was made after extensive discussion amongst the leadership team with input from numerous parts of the company including our guests. We have also been watching the behavior of our guests, the views of numerous doctors and the usage of helmets in other sports. While we are not sure there is one “answer”, we are very confident that this is the right decision for our company at this time.

The first question you will likely have is why? First and foremost, this decision is all about safety. One of our core values is protecting both our employees and our guests from injury. While there can be much debate about to what extent helmets offer protection, we have concluded that people are safer, at least to some degree, when wearing a helmet. And our conviction is even stronger about kids, where helmet usage is becoming almost universal. For many years, resorts have allowed employees to prioritize personal preference and comfort over the additional protection a helmet provides. We strongly believe that adult skiers should continue to have that right, including our employees when they are skiing or riding for recreation. However, we believe the time has come for our company to take a higher and more visible position when we are at work. Therefore, we will require our employees to set aside some of their own personal preferences to improve their overall protection and, equally important, to set an example of safety for our guests of all ages.

While many of us still remember the NHL implementing mandatory helmets in the early 80s, the cycling industry is probably a better comparison for our sport. We have all watched over the past 20 years as helmet usage has grown to the point where it is uncommon to see anyone riding a bike without one. Does that mean cycling is dangerous? No, but it does mean that people can have fun while being smart about it. Even at the professional level of cycling, where riders sometimes spend 5 hours in blistering heat, helmets have become required. We believe the race organizers both care about the riders themselves and are sending a message to cycling fans about the importance of helmet use. This is the same responsibility that all of us have as role models to the kids and adults that visit our resorts. As a Vail employee, wearing a helmet while skiing or riding in uniform will make a significant positive impression upon our guests.

There are many details that will continue to be worked out that relate to this new policy. For now, everyone should know that the Company will be covering the cost to ensure that anyone who is required to ski, ride or snowmobile for work will have the use of a helmet.

Employees will also be able to purchase and wear their own helmet, so long as it is approved for skiing.

Finally, we realize this is a significant policy change and felt that it was very important that we communicate this news before many of you depart for the off-season. While change is never easy, we strongly believe that it is the right thing to do and hope that each of you will embrace our decision in an attempt to create the safest possible environment for both our employees and our guests.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was ambivalent about professionals wearing helmets until yesterday. I've heard the argument that professionals ski safely and don't need helmets. I agree, one can ski safely but they can't control what others do.

Yesterday, I was skiing upper Bittersweet at Copper. I heard a loud thunk very close, probably a couple of inches behind me and a boarder zipped around me too close for comfort. My friends started yelling unkind words. I heard "you almost landed on her." I thought the boarder skied to close to one of my friends and they were upset because he came to close to her. I found out later they were talking about ME!

Apparently the boarder came out of the woods and jumped onto Bittersweet. The "thunk" I heard was his landing from his jump.

I spent the rest of the evening thinking about how close the guy was to me, how upset my friends were and what the results might have been had he landed on me. I shudder when I think about the board hitting me, or his 180+ body coming down on my 100 lbs. I wear a helmet so even if the results had been serious injury, or worse, at least my brain would have been protected.

My point is, no matter how carefully you ski, how good your skills are, how professional you are there are still careless, unthinking people who don't have concern for others and are willing to take risks for the "thrill" of it.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I applaud Vail's decision. I agree that if adults choose not to wear a helmet when skiing on their own time, that's their decision, but when representing a ski school or resort, it makes sense to be as safe as possible - and to set as good a safety example as possible. The ski school I teach for (a travelling school out of Montreal) requires that all instructors wear helmets (and has done so for several years) while teaching. It's simply a non-issue; everybody wears one.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I choose to wear a helmet 80 percent of the time, but hate to be mandated to do so for all conditions and situations, as these vary and because I've done fine for 40 years without one.

As far as Vail or other ski resorts and their insurance liability, it would be interesting to look at the statistics, as I'm guessing that head injuries for experienced/skilled riders are rare. I think it's the 'role model' thing for the guests---who could benefit from helmets greatly, as I would guess that statistically the beginners and kids are the most vulnerable to falls and head injuries---and also are most likely to sue a resort when bad things happen.

What I worry about---is what next? Skiing has inherent risks. Measures such as helmets, safety bars can reduce some of these risks, but what next? Bubble wrapped ski outfits? Nets below the lifts? Monitors with speed guns on the slopes and tickets? Certification of skill for double blacks?

I'm old school and part of the mystique of skiing to me is the risk factor and the adrenaline and the joy of 'taking care of myself' on the mountain. I have learned (sometimes the hard way) to read the conditions, the slope and make my own decisions as to what risk I'm willing to assume on any given day (or not).

And some skiers/boarders are idiots. All the rules and regulations and helmets in the world can't make up for stupidity.

As I told my kids when they were little: the mountain will always win, so respect it. Don't be stupid or you could die.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
What I worry about---is what next? Skiing has inherent risks. Measures such as helmets, safety bars can reduce some of these risks, but what next? Bubble wrapped ski outfits? Nets below the lifts? Monitors with speed guns on the slopes and tickets? Certification of skill for double blacks?

We're getting there.

The protective gear market has taken off, has entire brands/lines.

I've seen nets in strategic places below lifts for years (didn't Town Lift at PC have nets years ago below where it crosses the road? I haven't been there for 10 years).

Early this season, I distinctly remember reading a story where skiers were clocked by radar and warned for exceeding some absurdly low speed (+-19 mph) in slow zones. (I can't find this story anymore, tried googling - was it in CA?)

Tickets? Blue in PA was legendary (on TV in a short-lived quasi-reality series, "Ski Patrol") for this.

Certification of skill? Not for double blacks, but many resorts require terrain park passes in order to access certain terrain parks (Breckenridge, for one, for Freeway 8). And most who use these particular parks are all in favor. (I am not sure what the actual prerequisites are for these.)

Good/bad/indifferent?
Dunno, but it certainly is rapidly evolving....

My experience this year has been that the mountains have become much more dangerous places. There are more out of control skiers/boarders than in the past. I am not sure why or how or maybe it is just coincidence, but I have seen so many more collisions than in the past.

I found skiing at Vail and Keystone earlier last month unnerving and downright scary at times due to crowds and fast, unskilled skiers and riders, particuarly on the roads/cattracks. Had the same experience on a Friday in December at Stowe when most of the lifts were closed so the traffic was heavier in one part of the mountain (there seemed to be a high concentration of UVM riders who would fly down without carving and then brake wildlyl before taking off at mach speed again, all out of control). At home, I only ski Vermont mid-week and on weekends and holidays, I ski my local mountain which is never very crowded. I am most afraid of being injured by another skier or rider. Since being on this forum, I have become more convinced of this fear (e.g., VG's injury, MSL last season, etc.)

I never ski without a helmet nor do my children or my husband. Period.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga