• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vaccines and Ski Plans

newboots

Angel Diva
My son-in-law is teaching high school math in a hybrid format, and he says it's a joke for everyone but good students. There's just no way to pull in and inspire (or threaten!) the uninterested, struggling, or misbehaving students.

In other news, I have a vaccine appointment! 2/18, at the Javits Center in Manhattan. That will require some logistical maneuvering, and then again for the second shot, but it's worth it. I couldn't get one closer.

I was so excited I was giddy for a bit. What a sense of relief! I practically started dancing, and texted all my most important people.

:dancing:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Should I even mention ---and I suppose I am---that I qualified for first line vaccination and don't even want it? I am in healthcare but I work from home, I don't deserve to be in the primary group. And I am not going to get the vaccine any time soon . I am not anti-vaccine in any way, it's just that the Covid vaccine is not one I choose to take right now.

Different strokes........................

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH got his second Pfizer vax 2 days ago, feeling much better than he did with the first dose!

He's still not wanting to go deal with the new normal of COVID logistics at the ski resorts yet (it's logistically harder but I'm braving it when I can snag a pass, as we bailed on season passes due to COVID).

I'm not optimistic my vax will be as seamless/quick/easy to get as his Phase 1B? group (age).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Me too! I was looking at the map. I have to drive to the Javits Center in NYC. Wish us luck on Thursday!
Not familiar with your area. I’m going about 2 miles away. Good luck to both of us, I’m excited!

newboots

Angel Diva
Good luck! I don’t envy you....

Fortunately, I’m going midday, and it’s a very simple drive. The Javits Center is adjacent to the West Side Highway. I think the challenge will be finding parking.

newboots

Angel Diva
Well, hell, now it's going to snow all day when I'm planning to drive to NYC to get my Covid vaccine. I can drive in the snow (hey, we're skiers, right?) but not sure I want to venture into the city with urban drivers. Apparently I can take MetroNorth and a 3-stop subway ride. If they don't cancel the appointments! :noidea:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I snagged both appointment this morning, the first this Thursday the 18th after I leave the mountains; It's at the closest possible place to my home, the Walgreens that I use for everything else...

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, hell, now it's going to snow all day when I'm planning to drive to NYC to get my Covid vaccine. I can drive in the snow (hey, we're skiers, right?) but not sure I want to venture into the city with urban drivers. Apparently I can take MetroNorth and a 3-stop subway ride. If they don't cancel the appointments! :noidea:

:eek::eek::eek: Stay safe! And it is likely that if there is real snow that they will cancel. Auuuugh!

newboots

Angel Diva
:eek::eek::eek: Stay safe! And it is likely that if there is real snow that they will cancel. Auuuugh!

Yes. . . It's only 3-5" (the last time I looked), but that's a big storm for the NYC area. There are warnings everywhere. If I could count on being alone on the road it would be an easy decision.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone in MA who is 65+ or under 65 with 2+ comorbidities becomes eligible for setting up an appointment for vaccination starting tomorrow. The governor said today that it could take a month+ to even be able to get an appointment though as the folks from the previous phase are far from done still as well.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which has me wondering if MA considers history of TIA a comorbidity. My chain smoking brother apparently had a mini-stroke recently (he's bipolar and thought his vision problems were due to a manic phase, but apparently not.) Not that I want him to be in the 2 comorbidities group, but with this latest health scare I would be happy to have him vaccinated earlier rather than later.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Which has me wondering if MA considers history of TIA a comorbidity. My chain smoking brother apparently had a mini-stroke recently (he's bipolar and thought his vision problems were due to a manic phase, but apparently not.) Not that I want him to be in the 2 comorbidities group, but with this latest health scare I would be happy to have him vaccinated earlier rather than later.

I would think he would qualify @diymom

MissySki

Angel Diva

They have a very specific list, though there is no requirement of proof for this it's all by self attestation/honor system. They kept reiterating how they "think most people do the right thing", but well we also had a page of Craigslist ads for giving rides to the 75+ community suddenly since people wanted to get the "caregiver" eligibility so I feel that plenty will lie. MA identified and added asthma themselves as well to the CDC guidelines and stated today that it was because it disproportionately affects minority communities.

My dad falls into the under 65 with 2 comorbidities due to having COPD and a heart condition, he actually already got a call from his doctor's office about getting ready since he will be eligible now. Unfortunately I still think it will be difficult to get an appointment, but he lives in Fall River which is a spot having more attention paid to it for vaccination as a hard hit minority/low income community so hopefully they will have more resources locally soon.

The state also seems to keep throwing the feds under the bus in their conference today. I lost track of how many times they were adamant that the issue is not knowing from the federal government how many doses they can expect at any point in time to be able to plan accordingly.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/c...r-individuals-with-certain-medical-conditions

1613585606958.png

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In any case, first things first. As you point out, just being on the right list doesn't mean you can get an appointment any time soon. For now, I'm waiting to hear if he will be discharged today or kept another night, or... He was admitted to the hospital last night, they're still running tests today. At least today I'm waiting at home. Yesterday I was sitting in my car in the parking lot at Sturdy Memorial for about 5 hours waiting to hear if he would be admitted or not.

What surprises me is that of all the tests he's been given, a Covid test was not one of them. What if they admit someone who is asymptomatic and don't take proper precautions around that patient?

MissySki

Angel Diva
In any case, first things first. As you point out, just being on the right list doesn't mean you can get an appointment any time soon. For now, I'm waiting to hear if he will be discharged today or kept another night, or... He was admitted to the hospital last night, they're still running tests today. At least today I'm waiting at home. Yesterday I was sitting in my car in the parking lot at Sturdy Memorial for about 5 hours waiting to hear if he would be admitted or not.

What surprises me is that of all the tests he's been given, a Covid test was not one of them. What if they admit someone who is asymptomatic and don't take proper precautions around that patient?

Ugh that stinks, sorry your family has been going through this! That does sound odd to me as well, I would think a Covid test would be a common one to start with nowadays.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga