• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vaccines and Ski Plans

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you do it on a Thursday when new appointments get posted?
We tried as soon as the entity that is administering her shot announced they would be posting new appointments (in our case a Friday morning). She is getting it in our town, not at a mass vaccine site. So it will remain to be seen whether our town still is able to continue giving out shots to people since they mentioned yesterday cutting off town health departments. But our town is open to anyone, unlike some others who are only doing their own residents and it may be considered a regional site (I'm not sure) as it was originally responsible for vaccinating first responders from many surrounding communities as we have the ultra cold storage--so remains to be seen if we will be affected by the new guidelines.
You really can't believe anything they tell you, as they change so often, you can't count on anything.
I'm sure even if the town was to lose the ability to give vaccines, as I understand it people who got the first vaccine at a smaller site would still be allowed to get the second dose there, but the smaller entities won't be allowed to book new first shot appointments. Again, "we'll see".
I'm sure it will change again a million times.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hope you make it newboots! We had some ice but I’m here in line and they’re open ✅
In Raleigh, they postponed the vaccinations scheduled for the PNC Arena today to Monday because of the icy roadways. I think they are also hoping to get in more vaccine by then. Very lucky that my husband's appointment was yesterday.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I succeeded in getting hubby a date for his vaccine! What a relief.

But I gave up on getting myself an appt after about 100 tries. I'd get to the end of the long set of questions, then ask for the verification code to be texted to my phone, I'd hear the ding, but drat the appt time no longer exists so my computer tells me. I can't use the code I just got. It gets infuriating, because I have to start over. How can these people competing with me have such fast fingers?????

I can tolerate lots of tries in rapid succession if I have hope, but eventually hope wore out. Must get on with life this morning.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m going to hang out in Rhode Island for another week so I can make the appointment scheduled for next Thursday afternoon! I hate to miss the skiing but I have already decided that this year is about staying healthy rather than getting the maximum number of days in. I just wish I had believed my friends who said to ignore the wording about it being over 75 and that the website had not been updated. If I had done that I probably could’ve gotten an appointment on Tuesday and out in the burbs rather than at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence at 4 pm.

I could have booked an appointment for Saturday which is before the open date for 65 to 74. I couldn’t believe it let me book it, and I did try to see! I thought about it! But I felt too guilty about potentially taking a shot away from someone in that age group. I canceled it, of course! That said as of this morning there were still 650 vaccines left for that day in that location.

The Providence Journal posted an article today showing the layout at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. And explained parking and the methods and booking your second shot. It will be interesting to see how it actually works! I suppose the upside of waiting until Thursday is a couple of days for them to figure out the bugs. This location is doing the Pfizer vaccine so I will also have to come back in three weeks. The Moderna vaccine which is only at the suburban location is four weeks. In any case, I’m grateful for whatever I can get! :thumbsup:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I succeeded in getting hubby a date for his vaccine! What a relief.

But I gave up on getting myself an appt after about 100 tries. I'd get to the end of the long set of questions, then ask for the verification code to be texted to my phone, I'd hear the ding, but drat the appt time no longer exists so my computer tells me. I can't use the code I just got. It gets infuriating, because I have to start over. How can these people competing with me have such fast fingers?????

I can tolerate lots of tries in rapid succession if I have hope, but eventually hope wore out. Must get on with life this morning.

That's great that you got through for at least one though! I've had no luck. I wish they let you save a profile, how annoying to enter information every time and then the appointment is gone before you get to the end..

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My mother is back from her appointment--she said the site was very organized. Nobody was anywhere near anyone else and no standing in long lines etc.
The only issue was that because the MA vaccine site is experiencing problems they have to contact her later for her next appointment on March 11. The site just keeps crashing so the bookers can't make new appointments either unless it happens to come up again--it's intermittent. They called here once already thinking they'd be able to slot her in and then the site crashed on them again.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of course since I'm NOT going to be in VT, Amazon has outdone themselves and say they will deliver my replacement Hotronic batteries earlier than expected while I'm here getting a shot! They can only divert it to a drop off in Rutland vs leaving it in Ludlow. Oh well, we shall see! If it needs a signature they will hold it for re-delivery. And yes, this IS a major first world problem!! :rolleyes:

newboots

Angel Diva
I don't think I've ever been that excited to get a shot !

. . . and it didn't even hurt!

I decided to take the train + subway to the Javits Center in NYC (very uncrowded, mid-day trips) because it started snowing like mad. I was so glad I did! By the time we got down to Peekskill the fog and swirling snow created a whiteout. Fortunately, the train stayed on the tracks.

After all of the dreadfulness of signing up, I am happy to announce to any New Yorkers that the Javits Center was ideal. It's huge, and it was far below capacity. They said it was busier in the morning, and there was that snowstorm. I was early, but I went right in, showed my paperwork, answered all those questions several times, and I got my shot and my sticker. I'm super tired this evening, possibly because I also got up very early and got an MRI on my wrist, before leaving for the city.

My daughter didn't want me to take the train, for fear of the virus, but I was double-masked and was definitely further than 6 feet from anyone. It was a little more crowded coming back, but it was all worth it for not having to drive down there.

I thought all those people who said it didn't hurt were just stoic, or lying. I've never had an injection that didn't hurt. I almost couldn't even feel it! Starting to get sore now, though.

We all wrote on little pieces of paper and stuck them to the Wall of Thanks. The medical staff, cleaning people, National Guard, and everybody. It was actually a lovely experience!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
. . . and it didn't even hurt!

I decided to take the train + subway to the Javits Center in NYC (very uncrowded, mid-day trips) because it started snowing like mad. I was so glad I did! By the time we got down to Peekskill the fog and swirling snow created a whiteout. Fortunately, the train stayed on the tracks.

After all of the dreadfulness of signing up, I am happy to announce to any New Yorkers that the Javits Center was ideal. It's huge, and it was far below capacity. They said it was busier in the morning, and there was that snowstorm. I was early, but I went right in, showed my paperwork, answered all those questions several times, and I got my shot and my sticker. I'm super tired this evening, possibly because I also got up very early and got an MRI on my wrist, before leaving for the city.

My daughter didn't want me to take the train, for fear of the virus, but I was double-masked and was definitely further than 6 feet from anyone. It was a little more crowded coming back, but it was all worth it for not having to drive down there.

I thought all those people who said it didn't hurt were just stoic, or lying. I've never had an injection that didn't hurt. I almost couldn't even feel it! Starting to get sore now, though.

We all wrote on little pieces of paper and stuck them to the Wall of Thanks. The medical staff, cleaning people, National Guard, and everybody. It was actually a lovely experience!
The shot itself didn't hurt at all........ now 3 hours later my arm is sore but I was told to rotate and swing my arm around so hopefully won't get any worse. Nevertheless, it will be worth it..... glad it worked out for you @newboots

Jenny

Angel Diva
The shot itself didn't hurt at all........ now 3 hours later my arm is sore but I was told to rotate and swing my arm around so hopefully won't get any worse. Nevertheless, it will be worth it..... glad it worked out for you @newboots
They always tell me to do that when I get the flu shot, too.

Hopefully the sore arm will be all you and @newboots get. One down, one to go!

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I got my second Phizer shot 24 hours ago. I took SallyCat’s advice to heart because I know she’s a strong young woman and if it did that to her, YIKES! I have skied with her and she’s in great shape! (And lots of fun! Loved our time in Mammoth and Yosemite and the hot springs in JUNE!!!). So I was a little worried. No alcohol the night before, after the shot I ate and drank lots of water, took Tylenol, went to bed early and slept for 13 hours, and I can thankfully say I feel fine this morning. Advil this morning early for the slight headache. So heed SallyCat’s advice and please do take the shots seriously! I am extremely thankful to have gotten both shots now and to be fully vaccinated. I can thank West Virginia, where I was living in January, for the first shot. Their vaccination response has been top notch. They started planning their vaccination rollout way back in April of last year. Way to go West Virginia!!! And TN is stepping their game up and I was able to get my second shot here. Glad so many of you are getting vaccinated. Glad you made it to the city Newboots! Get on a list somewhere!!!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Only side effect from vaccine #1 - sore arm in middle of the night that kept me awake. Nothing else ! Wasn't even that bad. I didn't take Advil or Tylenol as the jury is out about taking pain meds.

newboots

Angel Diva
Probably this pertains to Day 1 more than Day 2, but I was advised to use Tylenol and not Advil (Motrin, ibuprofen) or Aleve (Naprosyn, naproxyn) for fever, aches and pains, or headache. The latter are anti-inflammatories, and the shot is encouraging inflammation (a response of the immune system). Like I said, I'm not sure if this is only for Day 1 or if it's also for Day 2. Ask your provider, or the nurse/EMT/other person administering the vaccine.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Probably this pertains to Day 1 more than Day 2, but I was advised to use Tylenol and not Advil (Motrin, ibuprofen) or Aleve (Naprosyn, naproxyn) for fever, aches and pains, or headache. The latter are anti-inflammatories, and the shot is encouraging inflammation (a response of the immune system). Like I said, I'm not sure if this is only for Day 1 or if it's also for Day 2. Ask your provider, or the nurse/EMT/other person administering the vaccine.
Think I heard don't take anything before the vaccine. But now it's a moot point as I'm fine today. How about you? Any side effects?

newboots

Angel Diva
Think I heard don't take anything before the vaccine. But now it's a moot point as I'm fine today. How about you? Any side effects?

:wave: Hi, @santacruz skier !

I slept for 10 hours! I was tired the day before, so who knows? Plus I had gotten up early to get an MRI of my wrist. Anyway, all is well. I didn't know to swing my arm around, and started doing it not too long before bed. My pre-bedtime hours didn't last but for minutes, though. Swinging today!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga