• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Utah LCC/BCC Mar-Apr 2022 conditions - Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Gals, I'm interested to know what the fresh snow is like at this time of year up there? Down here in NZ if we get a spring top up its generally like glue to ski on unless you're lucky enough to get it while its falling :snow: x

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hey Gals, I'm interested to know what the fresh snow is like at this time of year up there? Down here in NZ if we get a spring top up its generally like glue to ski on unless you're lucky enough to get it while its falling :snow: x
The last couple weeks the snowstorms have come together with a sharp dip in the temperatures. Wasn't necessarily fluffy powder, but stayed cold snow for a few days after the start of a snowstorm. The heavier snow with higher water content was actually good to start with April 11-12 because it covered up frozen areas better. Although even with a foot of new snow, the steeper areas or bumps still included ice patches.

Have you ever heard of DPS Phantom? That's a base treatment that replaces waxing for recreational skiing. It works great in spring conditions. I tested out two pairs of personal skis at Alta in April once to confirm that Phantom bases are much more fun when temps are over 40ºF at the base.

Reactions: AJM

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta opened Wildcat on Sat, April 23, in addition to the expected three lifts: Sunnyside, Sugarloaf, Collins. Parking at Alta filled up completely by midday.

Still seems to be snowing on the upper mountain as of 11am MT.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 1.40.31 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-23 at 1.41.05 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowbird opened lifts in stages today. The day started with just Gadzoom and Little Cloud. Peruvian Express and the Peruvian Tunnel opened mid-afternoon. Per usual, many lifts are closed for the season. In 2022 that includes the Tram because the cabins are being replaced.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 4.29.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 4.27.07 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Quite a storm! Not quite done yet but only a few inches expected in the next 12 hours.

Alta on April 23
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 9.22.41 PM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
While there may be a few flurries later today, the storm that started a few days ago is over. April 24 is the last day for official weather forecasts for the Cottonwoods.

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.03.47 AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
The 2021-22 season was pretty weird for the Cottonwoods. There have been low snow seasons in the past decade. However, it was the lack of snow in January 2022 that was really unusual.

For 2014-15, even though it was a low snow winter I have pictures of a deep powder day . . . on April 15, 2015. That was also the last season for the Cecret double and the Supreme triple. Things change but spring skiing at Alta is still my favorite way to end the season.

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.07.34 AM.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Solitude lucked out with the April snowstorms, which came after the decision to push on and stay open until May 1 if at all possible. The new GM, Amber Broadway moved over from Sugarbush less than a year ago. She's had quite a season for learning what happens when it comes to skiing around SLC and in BCC in particular.

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 12.05.21 PM.jpg

Scribble

Angel Diva
I got a late start today and missed my chance to ski at Alta. Parking filled up quickly. Solitude is going to be an absolute madhouse next weekend!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I got a late start today and missed my chance to ski at Alta. Parking filled up quickly. Solitude is going to be an absolute madhouse next weekend!
I imagine the powder hounds who expected that Ballroom and the Backside would open this morning were on the road early in order to park as soon after 8:00am as possible. Wildcat is not running today.

On April 17, there were people who were trying to be first in line for the Wildcat parking lot. But they parked too far down the access road. An official pickup truck stopped and told them they had to move. Three cars had to do a U-turn and park on the roadside until they had a chance to get back in line after the initial people were able to park. Really weren't that many early birds, so they still got pretty good parking spots.

Are you skiing elsewhere today?

Scribble

Angel Diva
I imagine the powder hounds who expected that Ballroom and the Backside would open this morning were on the road early in order to park as soon after 8:00am as possible. Wildcat is not running today.

On April 17, there were people who were trying to be first in line for the Wildcat parking lot. But they parked too far down the access road. An official pickup truck stopped and told them they had to move. Three cars had to do a U-turn and park on the roadside until they had a chance to get back in line after the initial people were able to park. Really weren't that many early birds, so they still got pretty good parking spots.

Are you skiing elsewhere today?
No, I'm just going to take the day off. Yesterday was one of the better days we've seen all season and I'm content. I'm hoping to hit Snowbird and Solitude next week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's Evan's summary of the April 22-23 snowstorm as of April 24. In this case, LCC got noticeably more snow than BCC.

I remember the April 15, 2015 snowstorm. There was 25 inches of new snow when the lifts opened in the morning, and about another 10 inches during the day. It was pretty light powder.

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 6.27.26 PM.png

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Brighton parking lot was full at 8:42AM. Turned around & headed 2 Alta. Super crowded. The powderhounds shredded backside by 1030 & left by 11:30. Supreme was closed . The snow was still fluffy. The party must have been at Brighton. Looking forward 2 spring skiing at solitude next weekend. ⛷️

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since I looked it up for another reason, here's the final snow totals for Alta for 2021-22. It kept snowing in late April. People willing to hike for turns had a good time from what I understand.

Screen Shot 2022-05-28 at 10.32.07 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna