• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Un-crowded, lessor-known mountains for advanced weekend worrior?

marta

Angel Diva
Plattekill! Hands down the best hidden jewel in the Catskills. Never a line even when it's packed. It's so worth the extra 20 minutes past Belleayre.

Magic, Bromley, Pico and Burke top my list of uncrowded faves in VT.

hp72

Diva in Training
Dont' forget Jay Peak. It is a "less known" Vt mountain and is generally less crowded than Sugarbush/Killington/Stowe. Plus the skiing is the best in the East! If I lived closer I would be there all the time.
We ski Bolton Valley. It is small and uncrowded - but also doesn't have a ton of challenging terrain. But it is less expensive than the others.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Love Burke! A really cool, old-school place that recently came under new management with BIG plans. Hope they don't lose the character of the place!

And Jay is terrific. Some of the Divas and I skied there last year. It was my first time there, and the conditions were among the best I've had ANYWHERE.

abc

Banned
For us "downstaters", Burke and Jay Peak are decidedly out of weekend distance.

Though I wonder if they'll be quieter during the worst X'mas/New Year holidays, or will they be over-run by Canadians...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
In Maine, it's absolutely Saddleback Mt. Meets all of the thread's criteria: uncrowded, lesser-known, with great appeal to the "advanced weekend warrior." $40 lift tickets, too, even better deals on Ladies' Days (I'm not sure which weekday it is, check website). New owners several years ago have big expansion plans - they have already built a terrific new beginners' area. High base elevation (and 2000 ft vertical) means that it keeps and holds snow until quite late in the season -- we were out there in mid-winter conditions in the middle of April last year, when (visible from summit) Sunday River was mush and 2/3 closed! DON'T MISS THIS PLACE if you're headed to Maine :smile: :ski2:

abc

Banned
In the summer, I do drive all the way up to Maine and spend more than a weekend...

But it's a totally different story to drive 6+ hours IN THE WINTER. Even when it's not actually snowing, haulling ar@s in the dead of night when there could be black ice on the road is metally very stressful.

I know there are good and un-crowded resorts further away from civilization. But they're un-crowded for a very good reason...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
In the summer, I do drive all the way up to Maine and spend more than a weekend...

But it's a totally different story to drive 6+ hours IN THE WINTER. Even when it's not actually snowing, haulling ar@s in the dead of night when there could be black ice on the road is metally very stressful.

I know there are good and un-crowded resorts further away from civilization. But they're un-crowded for a very good reason...

Obviously, my post was intended as a suggestion to those who do regularly frequent either Sunday River or Sugarloaf - and as someone who lives in the general region of both, those numbers are big.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Suddenly it occurred to me that abc posted this as a personal quest for a place to ski, while several of us-(me included)- pursued it as a general topic of discussion of uncrowded, lesser known mountains for all SkiDivas, in general.

As a general topic of discussion, it has been great with some great ideas for a buncha divas.

Saddly, it appears that abc didn't get her question answered, and perhaps, hasn't found a good "Un-crowded, lessor-known mountain"
What can we do to help, abc?
Give us a round trip radius you would be willing to travel and we'll see what we can do to find your - "Un-crowded, lessor-known mountain"!

abc

Banned
Actually, I did get some suggestion that works for me: Ski Diva (& another diva) mentioned Magic that's never crowded and pretty challenging.

Distance isn't exactly in miles. It's a loosely define terms of "hours/road condition" thing. For example, Stowe is 5 1/2 hours while Burke is 6 1/2. The difference isn't all that big. Except that last extra hour is on secondary roads, which, if you made a wrong turn or god-forbid, crashed due to hitting ice, there probablly won't be anyone around to help you till the Saturday morning!

That's part of the reason I asked about VT. It has the best road access from NYC area, mostly interstates. NH and Maine, while not much further in milage, involves driving on roads that may or may not be plowed in a timely fashion...

I know I'm a logical person. It's easy for me to define the requirement as "challening", "un-crowded" on "weekends". I do understand not everyone think in such focus terms...

Yes, the thread has gone every direction. In fact, there has been several threads on similar vains, even in the past month or so, with different focus. And I'm just posting to keep asking more specific questions when new suggestion somes.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Sometimes the time of day you are willing to ski on the weekends makes all the diference in the world as far as crowds go. Since I work a regular "9 to 5", we ski mostly weekends in the east. We frequent Whiteface, and try to be on the first chair (or gondola), and are off the mountain by about noon when things get really crowded on Saturday. On Sundays we are still first chair, but sometimes take a long break mid day and head back out around 2 when the crowds start thinning. Since Whiteface is a good 6 hour trip for us, you have to really want it, but since we do it fairly frequently, and share the driving, it's not too bad!

abc

Banned
10 years ago, I frequently ski Whiteface & Stowe. They were only 5 1/2 hours drive then. But now, the traffic got so bad around the lower Hudson it more often than not take 6 1/2 to Whiteface and 6 to Stowe. So they're no longer a weekend destination any more. It would had to be a long weekend, or at least a half day on Friday to make it there (for a still very hurried weekend). Unfortunately, MLK or Presi weekend also means it's going to be crowded...

So, after doing some of those super long drives and crowded slopes last year, I have to find something closer and out-of-way. Failing that, I'm giving up skiing the east, which isn't the end of the world either. (I got into the habit of flying out west & Europe once or twice every season anyway.)

SkiMonster

Certified Ski Diva
It's maybe not in the requested area; but Belleayre is pretty affordable, runs a lot of specials, and never seems to get crowded. We started going there after we moved away from Albany, down towards NYC, last year, and were there on more than one weekend with fresh snow and nearly non existent lines. It's not the hugest place, but enough to keep us happy - we wouldn't have been able to ski nearly as much otherwise, since the VT resorts, or Gore, are just too far and too expensive for anythiing other than a vacation treat right now. We were thrilled to find an alternative to the Hunter/Windham craziness in day trip range (for us).

Gore's not bad as such things go on the weekend either; I really like it there and it's pretty easy to lsoe a crowd.

abc

Banned
Though I occasionally hear good things about the Catskill area, but I have some hang ups with that area. Mostly formed in earlier years on summer trips:

- It's not that easy to get to despite the short distance (well over 2 hours from NYC).
- Lodging is hit or miss. (fairly expensive but not always good quality) Similar with dining choices
- Most importantly, snow record is spotty.

Due to the poor lodging and food choices, (and spotty snow record) I've been reluctant to stay overnight in that part of the state. But then, the long'ish drive makes them just outside the day trip distance. Though it makes more sense for people living further up the Hudson valley.

I biked Plattekill, and I can see half the mountain is black or double black. I'm dying to give it a try. Though from what I heard, it needs a good dump to even open since they don't make snow. It's sooo far out of the way I don't even worry about crowds. So I'll jump on any chance to go there if the weather warrants it. On the other hand, the drive is hellishly long (2 3/4 hour, with an hour on twisty mountain roads, great fun after a storm ;) NOT!)

I moved away from the east coast in early 2001 and only back last season. A lot has changed, mostly just gotten a great deal more crowded both on the road and on the mountain. Not to mention snow has disappeared from down valley for most years. A lot of what worked 6 years ago doesn't work any more. Though on the positive side, "facility" (food/lodging) in general has improved. So I had to start trying things out again...

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned. Ragged Mountain in New Hampshire. It's family owned, and has great terrain. It's got the best blue glade in N.H. When it snows, they leave some of the main trails ungroomed for the locals. They have a 6-pack high-speed quad, of all things, which they certainly don't need. No lift lines, not any!

The reason that there's no one there is that it's hard to get to. It's due north of Sunapee (CROWDED!!), but you can't get there from there. I go up 93, then over to Ragged (to the west) on one of the little NH highways that borders it, either the one to the north or the one to the south of it. There may be a way to easily get to it from 91, but I don't know where you are coming from.

I loved my skiing days there.

Have you considered joining a ski club? Did I already ask? I'm always promoting this very economical way to ski. Belonging to a club got me 50 days on snow last season.

abc

Banned
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned. Ragged Mountain in New Hampshire. It's family owned, and has great terrain. It's got the best blue glade in N.H. When it snows, they leave some of the main trails ungroomed for the locals. They have a 6-pack high-speed quad, of all things, which they certainly don't need. No lift lines, not any!

I loved my skiing days there.

Have you considered joining a ski club? Did I already ask? I'm always promoting this very economical way to ski. Belonging to a club got me 50 days on snow last season.
I'm glad you mentioned Ragged Mountain. Believe it or not, not only I know about it, I even know how to get there!!! :smile:

As an AMC member, I can stay in Carigan Lodge for $25/night. That is, for those weekends they don't block out the whole lodge for workshops and meetings. But I had no idea what kind of terrain Ragged has until now.

As for ski clubs, I really hadn't found any that makes much difference. Yes, a little bit of discount at lift ticket and yes, bigger saving at share lodging. But money isn't really the issue here. Yes, it's nice to ski for less. But the real issue is crowded slope with poor snow condition or long lift line, long drive on icy roads in the middle of night, etc. None of which can be helped by joining a ski club. :wink:

Granted, last season was exceptionally warm and maybe this season will have none of those problems. But I like to think ahead and have my options line up.

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even though I have been out of skiing a while and am getting back into it this year, I always keep up on the local buzz. I have skied all these places and am very familiar with the terrain, improvements, etc. as they are all fairly local to me, living in the Hudson Valley/Catskill region of NY.

I hate to ski Hunter on weekends! It's been awful since the 80s. Everyone and their brother from NYC and the tri-state flock there, especially since the town has a jumpin' nightlife on weekends. Gets a lot of the hard core party crowd and newbies following the s/o's up for the ski/party scene.

Wyndham is a less crowded (but has picked up a lot in the past 10 years) alternative to Hunter, and word is nearly, but not quite as bad on weekends, more family friendly.

Plattekill is a great mountain!!! Nice to see it get some mention here. Not as much snow making and I understand the lodge area is not as developed as some of it's competitors, but if you like to ski, this is one off the beaten path mountain worth a look. Definitely NOT a beginner mountain, IMHO. The terrain is the most challenging of any of the "local" Catskill terrain I've ever skied. This used to be a favorite of mine in college. Ticket prices used to be a bargain here, but are pretty competitive now, even though they don't have 100% snow making. Because of where it's located, tends to get more natural coverage they Hunter does. I understand they are continuing to make improvements here from my friends who took a drive up there this summer for biking event and was really impressed with the vertical drop here. I would say definitely a worthy trip for an advanced intermediate/expert skier who wants to avoid weekend crowds.

Bellayre Mt. - this was closed for a while way back when, before the state put in snow making and decided to develop the place. Reopened with a lot of improvements. Most of the runs run straight down the face (not as interesting as some other areas, but decent), not too many meandering type runs, but mid-week not real crowded (weekends, they bus up from NYC, and I would stay away) and some great deals. There is one 5 day period in Feb and several week days through out the year they are offering $10 and $15 lift tickets this year, which is a good deal and I hope to take advantage of... This is mostly an intermediate to advanced intermediate mountain.

Mt. Peter (10 -15 minutes from me, off the Appalachian Trail) - This is where I will be doing my women's clinic weekly. Very family friendly, not over crowded. Ironically, I think it is one of the oldest ski ares in NY state. Small, but has a little of all terrain, good snow making and good ski program which offers lesson free to beginners of all ages on weekends, in two hour increments, 4 times day each day on the weekend. If you are bringing kids/newbies to the slopes but want to ski yourself...and don't want an overwhelming crowd, this is the place. You will find a lot of kids/families though. Weekdays are VERY quiet, almost desolate, so I look forward to my women's Thursdays to just work on my skills.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Go to Mad River Glen - leave a changed skier. Best NE mountain there is when there is fresh snow. Try to plan accordingly. It's amazing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga