• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Un-crowded, lessor-known mountains for advanced weekend worrior?

abc

Banned
Inspired by the "less travled resort of NH/VT" thread here, and "your favorate small mountain" in Epic...

I've been to most of the mega resorts of VT. I'd like to try some of the lessor known resorts that has decent challanging terrain and not too crowded on weekends.

OK, I'll defind "un-crowded": less than 15 min. lift line, ideally. But never over half an hour! I know, it's a tall order on weekends...

Challenging terrain can be trees, bumps or steeps (but I prefer not too icy). Or just twisty-turny steepish narrow blues. Ideally, there should be more than just one or two trails where all the hot-dog wannabees come to demonstrate how to crash and burn! :eek: Prefer a little "privacy" to work on my techniques without having to constantly watch for out-of-control teenager boarders.

A example of such place I've been to is Pico. Lots of blacks that are un-groomed and allowed to developed into good size bumps. Even some blues with decent size bumps! :smile: Numerous trails to spread the skiers out so I don't feel like skiing in the "fish bowl", or in the way of better skiers. Lift lines are actually amazingly short, probably a benefit of being in big-K's shadow.

I heard Plattekill is also quite good. It's such an out of way place, I imagine the crowd shouldn't be too bad.

MRG I heard is REALLY crowded. So despite the infamously challenging terrain, it's not a weekend worriors playground.

I heard mentioning of Suicide 6 and Magic. But I don't know how crowded it is. Anyone been to either?

Any others?

Smalle size is ok. I don't need much to amuse myself! :smile:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess skiing tiny midwestern hills has one advantage, I've never spent over ten minutes in a lift line, and it's usually under five. I've heard people talk about long lift lines before, but didn't realize that they were long enough that 15-30 minutes would be good. Though I imagine runs last longer than 30 seconds, eh? :cool:

Sorry abc, I have no list contribution.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Magic is NEVER crowded. But unless it's a good snow year, coverage can be iffy. They've had some snow making problems that'll hopefully be resolved, with the new ownership.

People say it's like Mad River Glen South. If you hit it on good snow conditions, it's a blast.

abc

Banned
I guess skiing tiny midwestern hills has one advantage, I've never spent over ten minutes in a lift line, and it's usually under five. I've heard people talk about long lift lines before, but didn't realize that they were long enough that 15-30 minutes would be good. Though I imagine runs last longer than 30 seconds, eh? :cool:

Sorry abc, I have no list contribution.

I learn to ski in the midwest. I know what it was. As a beginer, it took about 30 second to go from top to bottom. On the black, it's more like less than 15 second if you let it go! :smile:

On weekends, it's just not possible to get less than 10~15 min. in the line. That's about as good as it gets in most "major" resorts. I'm actually hoping the smaller resorts have shorter lines. But due to their lower capacity (often slower lifts), it can swing either way. The bad example I heard is MRG. Some say it's quite a mob scence on weekends, although I'm not sure if that's not a bit of exaggeration.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never considered MRG slopes as uber crowded, compared to the other ski areas in NH/VT. I skied MRG on MLK or Pres. weekend for several years in the late 90s, and the most recent time was 2 years ago. I've always thought of the slow chairlifts and lack of high-speed whatevers as limiting the number of people actually headed downhill at any point in time. The lines may be a little pokey, though. The pluses of MRG far outweigh the minus, for me.

abc

Banned
The lines may be a little pokey, though. The pluses of MRG far outweigh the minus, for me.
The lift line is my main concern when it comes to smaller resorts, because they tend to have older slower lifts.

The positive of most of the smaller resort, which by the way, MRG isn't THAT small, is usually un-crowded slopes. A result of, exactly, slower lifts! That, has to be balanced out with not too long lift lines, though.

MRG is actually a little out of the way for me. So is Plattekill. That's why I kind of like Pico. Since Magic is not that far from Stratton, it tend to get overlooked. Or I hope it does. Hence my questions above.

And I'd like to find out pretty much the same issue about the "other" smaller resorts next to big ones, Suiside 6, for example. Bromley is also largely a "over-looked" resort, but I'm not sure what the terrain is like.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Bromley is also largely a "over-looked" resort, but I'm not sure what the terrain is like.

Bromley is $25. mid week, too -- at least it's been that way the past couple years. I keep meaning to get over there. Haven't skied it since I was a kid. Do like how it's always in the sun, though!

abc

Banned
Bromley is $25. mid week, too -- at least it's been that way the past couple years. I keep meaning to get over there. Haven't skied it since I was a kid. Do like how it's always in the sun, though!
Well, Ski Diva, some people have to work to pay rent! :wink:

I've figure the following:

The difference between mid-week ticket and weekend ticket is about, well, less than $50! I do make more than that a day! So, taking a day off actually COST me, despite the cheaper tickets...

But what about the crowd on the slope on weekend?

That's why I ask the specific question. Weekends, smaller resorts, advance terrain, not too long lift lines.

Yes, I want my cake, and I want to eat it too! :smile:

Molly

Certified Ski Diva
Funny, I never thought of Ski Diva as a lady of leisure.

It takes a lot of time and commitment to keep this playground running, I suspect. And to judge from what I know about the mere pennies that a site like this can earn from those Google ads, this place is pretty much a charity.

That said -- thanks, SD, for the tip on uber-cheap day rates at Bromleigh...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, Ski Diva, some people have to work to pay rent! :wink:

I've figure the following:

The difference between mid-week ticket and weekend ticket is about, well, less than $50! I do make more than that a day! So, taking a day off actually COST me, despite the cheaper tickets...

But what about the crowd on the slope on weekend?

That's why I ask the specific question. Weekends, smaller resorts, advance terrain, not too long lift lines.

Yes, I want my cake, and I want to eat it too! :smile:
While this may be true, there are many circumstances that a person can take advantage of the deals.
For instance,
- some people work a schedule that covers weekend days and may have days off in the week
- Some may work nights or other such things like Me. I snow plow starting at 2 AM so I'm off work at 10 AM and can easily take advantage of a day like that. And on fresh snow too!!!
- Retiree's. I know a few divas are retired and love taking advantage of these opportunities.
- I have a friend who works at the hospital, who works at the hospital and has to cover weekends and holidays regularly, so she has week days off quite frequently!

Whoo hooo for the chance to get a bargain and slap on the sticks!!!:ski2:

Well, Ski Diva, some people have to work to pay rent! :wink: I've figure the following: The difference between mid-week ticket and weekend ticket is about, well, less than $50! I do make more than that a day! So, taking a day off actually COST me, despite the cheaper tickets... But what about the crowd on the slope on weekend? That's why I ask the specific question. Weekends, smaller resorts, advance terrain, not too long lift lines. Yes, I want my cake, and I want to eat it too! :smile:

I am a self-employed attorney and work to support myself and my 2 kids. I made the decision to rearrange my work life to be available to ski mid-week 1 day per week and to take 1 ski vacation each season for a number of reasons. First, I can work longer hours on other days and for part of the weekend to make up for the lost time. Second, the cost to ski mid-week is really less. In March, I bought a 207/2008 mid-week super pass for Stratton and Okemo for only $279. I expect to use it about 10 times, which brings my daily lift ticket to under $30/day. Third, I find skiing at Southern VT resorts on weekends to be quite dangerous. Surviving an injury and missing time from work recovering would be far more expensive for me than taking 10 - 15 days off over a 3 1/2 month period. Fourth, and most importantly, I have found that there is NO comparison between skiing a larger resort mid-week and on a weekend. I get so much satisfaction on weekdays and my skills improve so much because I'm not just dodging crowds and trying not to get clobbered. I'm on the first lift and lift lines are non-existent.

Of course, I have three advantages here. I'm self-employed and have no boss to get permission from before I set my schedule, I'm divorced and my kids spend 2 weeknights with their Dad, freeing me up to use that day to ski without being tied down to school drop off and pick up, and lastly, it's only a 1 hour 40 minute drive from my house to Okemo or Stratton so I can do the trip in a day. This season, my husband has a new job and he works 1 day each weekend, so he gets a weekday off, and he's gonna come out and ride with me. Weekends we ski and ride without kids at Berkshire East, a local resort that's perfect for them, never has lift lines, is very reasonable, and is 40 minutes door-to-door.

To be a serious skier, it takes a huge amount of commitment, and that includes financial resources. Getting creative about spreading those resources around is what many Divas seem to have discovered, and our "wealth" is reflected in snow time and time with family and friends.

:humble:

abc

Banned
But it doesn't work FOR ME!!!

Actually, my beef with a mid-week $25 ticket is, if I can take a mid-week off, I can ski for $15!!!

(I did that last season when, exactly as you pointed out, I work nights on every other Monday. And I got to ski for $10 some places, $15 others...)

Basically, mid-week deals are a dime a dozen. It's more of a matter of where you want to go and how cheap a "total package" (free lunch, free lesson, for example) you can get it. So $25 is nothing special.

I'm not being ungrateful about Ski Diva's suggestion. But I'm pointing out $25 for Bromley isn't exactly anything special. Now, if they do a $25, or for that matter, $35 on weekends? That's a different story...

abc

Banned
To be a serious skier, it takes a huge amount of commitment, and that includes financial resources. Getting creative about spreading those resources around is what many Divas seem to have discovered, and our "wealth" is reflected in snow time and time with family and friends.

Ski Now work Later, I distinctly recall I got to ski Berkshire East for $15 on all Mondays last season!!!

Speaking of time with family and friends. That's why I don't work on weekends! I'd rather spend my spare time skiing with friends than skiing cheap on my own.

It may cost me more, a lot more. But I gladly gave up un-crowded slopes in exchange for the chance to ski with my significant other, for example. I would do it again if need be. Any time.

If that makes me a not-so-serious skier, that's fine with me too.

Bromley runs some really cute mid-week specials throughout the season. They are listed in the Stratton magazine. There are days where if you're a Mom and you bring a photo of your kid, you can ski for only $15 and on Valentine's Day, if you bring your sweetheart to ski or ride with you there are more deep discounts.

I skied Stratton a lot last season and enjoyed looking over at Bromley. It's South facing and looks like a fun family oriented mountain.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, what can I say but everyone has different priorities. For me, I can't stand skiing in crowds. I'm fortunate enough to be able to arrange my life so I can ski weekdays. The fact that it costs less is icing on the cake!

You're right, abc, there are lots of great deals if you look for them. You'd mentioned Bromley, which is why I brought it up. I'm sure lots of other areas have good deals, too. It bears keeping an eye out for them.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Mid week deals are a carrot to entice people to fill the slopes when it is usually slower. NOT to punish the general public who can't get out there midweek.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:focus:

This thread has taken an interesting turn. Mid-week vs. weekend rates are definitely worth discussing. But I think the original intent -- finding lesser-known, less crowded ski areas -- is valuable and shouldn't be ignored. Anyone have anything to add about that?

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This year Mr. QQ & I don't have any passes that include a weekend day, so on Sundays we plan on going to different small New England mountains we've never skied before. Bromley, Bolton, Gunstock, Hunter, Ascutney, Suicide Six, and wherever else we can come up with. Also, he's never skied Jiminy Peak or Berkshire East. I do know J.P., B.E., MRG, & Magic are rarely crowded on Sundays, but I don't know about Saturdays at all.

abc

Banned
Thanks QQ. I'll definitely try Magic. And I have plan to hit MRG on Fri/Mon while I'm up there for the weekend, because it's got some very attractive deals mid-week.

Last time I tried Berkshire East, the snow was not too good. But I'll give it another try this year.

Jiminy Peak is one I never got around to try. I heard really good things about it. But its location is just too far for a day trip. And for overnight trips, I tend to go all the way up to VT for the more reliable snow.

A word of warning, Hunter (if you're talking about the one in NY) is horribly crowded on weekends. Drive another 20 min. to Plattekill. I heard really good things about it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga