• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TRX suspension training, what do you think?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I really like doing lunges with the TRX. Gives me the confidence to work on reverse and side lunges, which I would be less inclined to do with an ACL-less knee. Holding the TRX gives just enough support.

marzNC

Angel Diva
One of the uses for the TRX that I did for the first time last month was stretching. That I can see doing at home. Here's a few examples:

marzNC

Angel Diva
My trainer and I are discovering another aspect of the TRX. Now that it's been around for a while, people are figuring out how to use it for seniors who are not that active or have balance issues. The IDEA Fitness Journal she gets has a special article with quite a few TRX exercises in it.

https://www.trxtraining.com/pdfs/IDEA_Fitness_Journal_May_2013_-1-.jpg

I did some of these for warm up this week. The side lunge while holding the loops put together was definitely a good exercise for an ACL deficient knee. Just enough extra support to get a little lower than I would otherwise.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well, guess I've become a TRX user in general. Took mine along this weekend for the short trip to drop off my daughter at summer camp. Wasn't much room in the economy motel room facing the bathroom door, but enough to do some stretches and simple exercises.

Looking back, it took a fair amount of repetition for me to remember enough ways to use the TRX to make it worth using on my own. Not sure I would like a class. Helped a lot to work with a personal trainer so there was no rush when learning something new. We could experiment with variations, either for less risk with for the ACL-less knee or to find something more relevant to skiing. Every session was different because there are so many possibilities. For me, that's important because I like variety.

Plan to use the TRX in the basement during the summer. That's nice and cool, and has a doorway that will work well. Will also take it on driving trips. Too heavy and bulky if flying.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This video shows ways of using the TRX that I won't be doing because they are far above my fitness level. The first set are done outdoors in the snow. Go to 2:20 for indoor TRX exercises using the door anchor. The woman is in great shape!

She is a grandmother and mother of five in Utah who decided to get fit again at about age 40. Now running a fitness company.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Started up again with my personal trainer. Didn't do much with the TRX after July. However, I'm much stronger than a year ago. As a result, there are more exercises that make sense to do. While I may use the TRX a bit on my own, it works better for me to have someone who has a sequence of exercises in mind. Especially when there is variation.

Did the TRX hamstring and squat today. These are two exercises I remember.

annetteski

Certified Ski Diva
I thought it was a great workout. I felt incredibly clumsy at first, but it's amazing for your core, and you can just keep making it harder (or easier) on yourself depending on your strength level.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that ski season is over, I'm back to working with my personal trainer. Used the TRX almost exclusively for the first couple sessions. When she has a sequence all prepared beforehand, I can get a lot done in 45 minutes.

I carried the TRX in the minivan for driving trips during the winter. Didn't use it that often, but it was nice to have around. Set up it in a few hotel fitness areas, as well as used it over a door. I can remember enough exercises to get something done for 20-30 minutes. Then can finish with stretches.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here are a few more videos of exercises that I've done fairly often. The Atomic Pushups really require upper body strength. Working my way back up to 15.

altagirl

Staff member
I went to a class, which is a good workout, but I wasn't crazy about the teacher. I get demoing things and setting a good example, but she was pushing herself so hard that her instructions were being panted, and she'd grunt and yell (like AARGH!), etc. I'm not sure if that's typical or not, but it just made me think that I'm not getting any attention - I'm just following along with someone who is working out. Which I guess is okay, but it didn't really inspire me to go back.

She also didn't offer any modifications at all. There were a few things that just weren't happening on my knees. The students around me warned me at the beginning that she won't modify anything, so you need to just invent modifications on your own or look around to figure out what else you can do. Not really ideal for a group class IMHO. Again, that's possibly not normal for TRX classes.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Horrible instructor - should be taught as a demonstration and then spotting and cueing not doing along. Cringe thinking of some of the unspotted form going on around you. Yikes!!!!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's kind of what happened to me when I went to a yoga class that was so jam packed with advanced dance students that the instructor couldn't possibly help anyone who didn't already know the modifications. I wasn't new to yoga, but it was the first time since becoming a desk jockey that I'd started over while tight and out of shape. If course I hurt myself, and it was a long time before I found out she's a great teacher and was just ambushed when a dance teacher had told her students to take a yoga class.

If there's a way to do it without making a scene, I'd consider mentioning it to the gym's staff. This is someone who doesn't know the difference between working out and leading a class. Some people may like that kind of thing, but if nothing else, the class description should make it clear that it's a group workout with an expert rather than a traditional class.

Just my opinion.

altagirl

Staff member
It's at the Cottonwood Heights Rec Center, rather than an actual gym. Supposedly she's "certified", whatever that means. I'm pretty comfortable with coming up with things that feel safe to me (especially since I use the TRX equipment at the gym on my own), and I'm not about to continue with exercises that don't feel right on my joints, but yeah, it does seem like an accident waiting to happen.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Total accident waiting to happen. Unless she knew all of the students prior to class and was aware of their levels of core stsbility etc. Alot of those exercises can be done with improper recruitment of the lower back without good core stability and knowledge of neutral level pelvis and how to hold those positions by feel and even then most people still need a little cueing.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I received a video yesterday for review and did my first full trx only workout this morning. I have done some TRX exercises mixed in with other modes etc but not a full workout. Here is my take.

I like the static bands for stretching. ALOT.
Bend and lift movements -
Squatting is quite assisted with the straps which the static nature tends to round the shoulders at the end range of the X. I found it was easy to pull the scap down and keep the shoulders neutral on this exercise though. This particular workout did not have much else in this arena.
Single leg movements -
Pistol squat - Not a big fan of this exercise on this piece of equipment. I felt the static resistance wanted to round the shoulders and pull the scap up the back and promote winging. I concentrated on keeping the scap down and in and found it was still difficult not to get internal rotation of the shoulders. For me and many others I spend enough time at a computer that I need to work the opposite motion in the upper body - lengthen the muscles that were being shortened. On the contrary the pec stretch on this piece of equipment is divine - the best I've found. I would definately incorporate this in if you are doing any of the bending moves that round the shoulders.
Single leg split squats - These will definately get the fire burning but I had a difficult time with pronation on these. I found I really had to focus my weight on the outer edge of my foot to control the internal rotation. I typically do these with the physio ball and I find it's much easier to control the rotation this way as well as is less cumbersome than putting your feet into the straps if you want to add weight.

Pushing Movements-
Push ups - I found the standing version with hands in straps to be easier on the TRX than the floor. I think this is a great exercise for people who have difficulty doing a full push up on the floor. One caveat is to be sure to stay in check with your range of motion as the suspension allows you to widen your arms easily as well as drop the chest way lower than you can on the floor. The version with feet in straps is more challenging than the floor for those more advanced but can also b done with the Bosu turned upside down and feet on flat side if you don't own a trx.
Prone flys- Good core stability X but again the suspension can increase the range of motion and also makes it easier to bend your arms and cheat. You need to be aware of your shoulders and keeping them open with scap wrapped on this one too.
dips - a good challenging X on this.
Lateral movements- Difficult to simulate lateral pushing due to the nature of the equipment. This video did not have any and I couldn't figure out any good ones on my own.
Overhead pushing - another toughie with the nature of this equip. Didn't do any overhead pushing movements, although a handstand push up may be possible it would be difficult at best to keep good alignment and not for most of us.
Pulling Movements -
I did squat rows, t-rows, and single arm rotational pulls and a kneeling overhead pull down which was my favorite X on this kicked me right where I needed it. I found the squat rows and t-rows to be good exercises, I would need to add weight to get the fire burning and there is really no way with your arms in the straps so I think there is a cap to their effectiveness when you reach certain levels. Overall I think this piece of equipment excels at pulling motions.
Rotational - I don't know yet how I feel about these. For people who have a hard time keeping a level neutral pelvis these are worthless. The static band encourages hip drop on the unsupported side and turns the exercise into more of a stretch this way. Keeping the hips level and rotation above this point was awkward. Most of these require a single arm on the band above the head which was a different feeling for me. I also found the hip on the same side as the arm would want to rotate forwards during the motion so I had to watch that too. I felt like some oblique action was assisted by the strap and moved into the shoulder in order to control the strap. Still worthwhile balance exercises if you can keep the pelvis in check though. But many of the pilates rotational core excercises still seem to fire my obliques harder while mindlessly keeping the hips planted on the floor. Overall good to mix up balancing points and center of gravity and this did that for me.
Core strength -
The stability portion which is incorporated into most X's is excellent as long as you keep good form, don't drop your hips on the prones or raise them on the supines etc.
Extension - there were none incorporated.
Flexion - again nothing to write home about.
Rotation - Already went into this, good for balance but I find other modes to be more actively challenging.

Alot of the core specific X's like pikes, prone shell tucks etc can also be done on a physio ball if you don't own a trx. On the TRX it's a bit more of a struggle to get yourself situated in the straps and there is some inuendo with the movements due to the static nature of the straps which can make it slightly more challenging during certain phases of the exercise but I found the distance between the attachment point of the straps necessary to keep them taut somewhat limited my range of extension for which I would prefer the ball.

So overall I would personally incorporate some of these into a workout for sure, it definately excelled over other modes in some areas. As an entire workout exclusively on the TRX I found it to be incomplete in overall functional movement patterns though. For instance bend and lift - the squats were so heavily assisted by the straps that it would be beneficial for a beginning exerciser to help with balance but not for more conditioned people. I tried moving the squat into a centrifugal squat with my legs up on the ladder but found the strength coming from my arms even more this way. So for those adapted you are limited to single leg drills for a good burn which leaves an area of users between those who can control a simple two legged squat without assistance to those who have more advanced control of single leg squats. Overhead and lateral pushing was weak maybe non-existant due to it's nature for instance. Core stability was and is the caveat of this this piece of equipment and it does function well here although requires a certain level of conditioning - you can't go from the couch to here. At this point I still prefer other modes for core flexion, rotation and extension perhaps I will come across new exercises on this for these but at this point not sold on what I did. The singe leg balance X's require alot of mental work and strength to stay aligned and keep your knees out of the danger zone and if you are not entirely sure what this means, you will definately want to work with a trainer doing these on this. Even if you are aware, a mirror still helps. For the more conditioned person many of the exercises are difficult to add resistance to but many on the flipside can be modified as you progress by removing points of balance and using stability equipment such as wobble boards etc.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ran across an intro to TRX by the inventor. He talks about how he come up with the idea while deployed as a Navy Seal. Then he is the trainer for another man for a 12 min workout.

The variety that's possible with the TRX is one of it's strong points. That's why my trainer can use it with seniors or those rehabbing a knee or whatever, but at the same time she can come up with a full 45-min workout for me that includes exercises that are more relevant to skiing. I don't get bored, because she comes up with a different variation every time. She's experienced enough to cover different parts of the body in a reasonable manner. I use it more to build core strength, improve balance, and stretching than for cardio.

When I use the TRX on my own, I'm not that organized. But I feel like the 15-30 minutes I spend is worthwhile. I stick with the exercises I'm more familiar with so that I know what good form feels like. Mostly I've done that when I'm away from home.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna