• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TRX suspension training, what do you think?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I use the TRX on my own, I'm not that organized. But I feel like the 15-30 minutes I spend is worthwhile. I stick with the exercises I'm more familiar with so that I know what good form feels like. Mostly I've done that when I'm away from home.

If you want to feel/be more organized try to incorporate all 5 basic movement patterns into your self guided workouts:

Bend and lift movements -eg: squatting
Single leg Movements -eg: lunging
Pushing movements - 4 directions - forward, overhead ( harder to incorporate on TRX, there is a pike push up but best for higher levels - which you may be), lateral, and downward.
Pulling Movements - rows etc
Rotational - single arm rows with rotation would combine this movement with above if you need to save time for example.

Core workout should incorporate 2 of each of the following for athletic training but at least 1 is sufficient for overall fitness:

stability - all trx incorporate this so no need to think about this one except maybe some sidework.
rotation- single arm row with rotation would be one.
extension-I had a hard time finding any on the TRX but will let you know if I do, or maybe you know some you could share with me.
flexion- There is a prone roll out which I am sure you probably do.

Keep in mind the beauty of full body/functional exercise is that many single exercises incorporate 2 or more of the above in a single exercise so it is possible to fit all in a short work-out.

marzNC

Angel Diva
If you want to feel/be more organized try to incorporate all 5 basic movement patterns into your self guided workouts:

Bend and lift movements -eg: squatting
Single leg Movements -eg: lunging
Pushing movements - 4 directions - forward, overhead ( harder to incorporate on TRX, there is a pike push up but best for higher levels - which you may be), lateral, and downward.
Pulling Movements - rows etc
Rotational - single arm rows with rotation would combine this movement with above if you need to save time for example.

Core workout should incorporate 2 of each of the following for athletic training but at least 1 is sufficient for overall fitness:

stability - all trx incorporate this so no need to think about this one except maybe some sidework.
rotation- single arm row with rotation would be one.
extension-I had a hard time finding any on the TRX but will let you know if I do, or maybe you know some you could share with me.
flexion- There is a prone roll out which I am sure you probably do.

Keep in mind the beauty of full body/functional exercise is that many single exercises incorporate 2 or more of the above in a single exercise so it is possible to fit all in a short work-out.
Starting to think about what I might do with the TRX in a few weeks when I'm traveling again. I think having a short list like this will definitely help. Thanks!

Is this what you mean by "extension"?

Looking around for extension, I found a nice reference page. A year ago, it would not have been that helpful. But now I've done a lot of the exercises and could figure out the rest with just a picture. Although I like doing new ones with my personal trainer watching to my form.

https://www.cyberpt.com/documents/CORE EXERCISES.pdf

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNZ
I like that! I would definately add that to my list and can see how great it would be for travelling. A couple cues, stand tall keeping space between each disc when you start. Make sure you aren't springing out at the bottom of the rib cage. When you stand tall tip the rib cage so it is aligned over the pelvis and then imagine someone put a weighted vest on your shoulders and hold that weight up in that postition. If you feel tension in your lower back, likely your rib cage is tipping back. Try to maintain disc space throughout the X. Maximize the stretch on the downward phase, I was able to hit my lats and rhomboids really good when I kept my shoulder blades down towards the back pockets. This will feel really good after long drive or hotel beds. Got a good stretch from my calves up in the legs too. When you move back up into the extension watch rib and shoulder position again, I found it a little hard to keep and after you get comfortable with the motion in good form you can really concentrate on using the glutes to push the hips forward and hit them as well. I like too how when you are in the downward phase you can release your hip flexors and let them relax too if you are mind body aware of how to do that. All in all that is one of those exercises that looks simple on the surface but if you do it properly you get the benefit of core stability, hip mobility, stretching and even a little balance when you are up on your toes. Thanks for posting!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNZ
I like that! I would definately add that to my list and can see how great it would be for travelling. A couple cues, stand tall keeping space between each disc when you start. Make sure you aren't springing out at the bottom of the rib cage. When you stand tall tip the rib cage so it is aligned over the pelvis and then imagine someone put a weighted vest on your shoulders and hold that weight up in that postition. If you feel tension in your lower back, likely your rib cage is tipping back. Try to maintain disc space throughout the X. Maximize the stretch on the downward phase, I was able to hit my lats and rhomboids really good when I kept my shoulder blades down towards the back pockets. This will feel really good after long drive or hotel beds. Got a good stretch from my calves up in the legs too. When you move back up into the extension watch rib and shoulder position again, I found it a little hard to keep and after you get comfortable with the motion in good form you can really concentrate on using the glutes to push the hips forward and hit them as well. I like too how when you are in the downward phase you can release your hip flexors and let them relax too if you are mind body aware of how to do that. All in all that is one of those exercises that looks simple on the surface but if you do it properly you get the benefit of core stability, hip mobility, stretching and even a little balance when you are up on your toes. Thanks for posting!
Good to know. I think I'll show the video to my personal trainer and let her coach me through doing it a few times for form first. Finding stuff online . . . that I'm good at. Learning technique from written descriptions . . . not so good. I'm a visual learner. :smile:

I figured it was a good exercise since the video was done by a company that specializes in spinal care. There is a video with the same exercise on the TRX website, but that doesn't have as good an explanation of what to do.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is good, it doesn't promote spinal compression like alot of flexion and compression exercises do. If done correctly. It would be good to ask your trainer - there is a range in there where you naturally want to lose your shoulders and ris in the transition.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Gloria : what do you think about the idea of a half-pendulum as a way for people who can't do a full TRX pendulum as a core strength exercise? Check out this blog post by a Canadian trainer. I haven't done the pendulum that often but was strong enough to do it after about six months of personal training with the TRX, as well as other stuff for the core like pilates.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Gloria : what do you think about the idea of a half-pendulum as a way for people who can't do a full TRX pendulum as a core strength exercise? Check out this blog post by a Canadian trainer. I haven't done the pendulum that often but was strong enough to do it after about six months of personal training with the TRX, as well as other stuff for the core like pilates.[/QUOTE

Yes half would be a good starting point. Key on keeping ears over shoulders and top line flat with the only movement coming from the hip. The full pendulum has more movement in the lumbar spine keeping the upper force junction still. If you feel the half pendulum in your back you could start with feet on a bosu ball upside down without the leg action to activate simliar core muscles. You could also try feet on foam roller to stimulate the fore and aft swing of the TRX as well before putting it all together with the leg motion on the TRX. The full pendulum would be a good exercise to promote a healthy lumbar spine and promote balance in relation to hip angulation and pelvic un-levelness as in when when your hips become unlevel while shifting weight in skiing if done correctly. The strengthening aspect would also improve angulation and possibly the ability to shift weight more smoothly for quicker turns. Although I wouldn't consider it a speed drill, the speed would come more from increase in efficient movement pattern. Good upper body, lower body seperation drill also. So definately worth the effort to work up to this exercise.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Getting back into the TRX with my trainer. Working with her twice a week for several weeks to jump start more ski conditioning. She had me do a sequence of a few exercises that definitely got my heart rate up and worked relevant muscles all over. Spent about 35 min with the TRX, plus some stretches at the end. Be interesting to see how I feel in a month.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes! I have always done the hamstring curl on the physio ball, but what I like about this one better is that you are activating the deep stabilizers and building endurance by holding the shoulder bridge position which is more effective than moving the hips up and down functionally. Gonna stop using the ball AND doing shoulder bridges and do this combined version instead if I can figure out how to keep my weight plate on my hips... I also like exercises that seperate joint movement and stabilize the pelvis when done correctly. It really helps mind body motor control when you have to do it like this.
I have been doing alot of the lunge exercise, anything that engages the sleeping giant is good and I like the motion for balance training for skiing. If you catch an edge, the muscles used in this are what you need to recover and motion is very similiar.
Planks are all around good for everything and so are rows. I also always like to do loading drills the skaters and jump squats are good, training the muscles for acceleration and deceleration is always good for injury prevention and performance.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds good! I haven't done the full hamstring curl but instead a variation that's not quite so dynamic or difficult. The description clearly notes the association to ACL injuries.

Hamstring Curl

The hamstrings are crucial in supporting the knee joint from the back side and act as primary restraints for anterior translation of the tibia on the femur (which happens when skiers get in the "back seat," often resulting in ACL tears.

Translation: Hammies stop your bones from slipping around, which stops you from wrecking your ACL.

I have done hamstring runners.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like that version too, I need to spend more time learning this equipment, am thankful you continue to post these. One of these days I will get around to poking around more.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Working with my personal trainer and the TRX again now that my ski season is over. Yesterday included the Power Pull. This time she decided to write down the steps since it's an exercise I like. Have been doing it for a while for rotation. What's interesting is that she likes it for the glutes but that's not emphasized when I look around online. It was clear when I was doing it, how you use your legs and arm makes a difference. Probably not really that visible, but I could feel the difference. That's why I like having a personal trainer who is watching my form.

Her description is short hand for someone familiar with the TRX.
"Power pull. Single hold. Squat, reach behind you to floor then rotate thru glute to touch yellow tab. Switch sides."

A longer version I found:
  1. Step 1: Shorten TRX to its fully shorten position and single handle mode.
  2. Step 2: With a strong grip and solid stance, raise your elbow into a high horizontal position next to your chin.
  3. Step 3: Lower and rotate your body back into an extended position, with feet still planted in place.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now that summer travels are over, I'm doing pre-season ski conditioning on a more consistent basis. Had the first session with my personal trainer. Per usual, she had come up with something new to do with the TRX. She's been researching exercises that are based on Pilates, which is really good for strengthening the core.

Here's a brief 2-min introduction to the possibilities. One of the features is that the movement is sometimes relatively slow. Also, the exercises are done without shoes. Pointing toes or flexing ankles is part of Pilates. For more examples, click here for a short blog entry I wrote.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump: from way back in 2012-14. Forgot about the thread after I started a fitness blog to organize videos and fitness info geared towards older skiers. When I started this thread, I wasn't sure if I liked the TRX. In less than a year, I bought one for home use. Have been using TRX ever since on my own and during sessions with my personal trainer during pre-season.

@Gloria did a nice summary of her impressions in Post #39. She also provided guidance for the variety of exercises that should be in a complete workout in Post #41. The advantage of TRX (or any suspension straps) is that almost every exercise helps with core strength. For a skier, core strength turns out to be more important than leg strength, assuming good technique.

One of the markets that was a total surprise for the former Navy Seal who invented the TRX was seniors. Early on I found a video of a women in her 80s using doing squats with the TRX. Recently found a video where a women in her 70s was introduced to the TRX.

May 2018

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ha great timing! I was going to look for this thread because I just did my first full TRX class yesterday. I’ve been doing a different BodyPump class on Mondays that is all weightlifting, I’ve enjoyed it but wanted to mix it up and also get some more core engagement, this did the trick! The instructor merged stuff with and without the straps (such as burpees) to make it HIIT with more cardio. It wasn’t overly intense though because I was able to keep up well and my cardio isn’t great. I can definitely feel my core, glutes, quads, and biceps this morning, in a good way.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can definitely feel my core, glutes, quads, and biceps this morning, in a good way.
:thumbsup:

Interesting that the SKI article I linked in Post #49 still exists, but was updated in 2017. The main difference is that there are no longer videos showing the TRX exercises. Instead there is a link to the 8-week online ski fitness course that SKI came up with a few years ago that costs money. From the description of the course, no equipment is needed so that all exercises can be done at home.

Get Fit: Suspension Workout
" . . .
"Skiing has a high neuromuscular demand, and it requires balance, agility, strength, endurance and power,” says Pitcher. You can improve those measures of fitness by with these TRX-specific exercises. All of these exercises could be done without the TRX equipment—found at most gyms or purchased online—but the suspension aspect increases the intensity and efficiency of this workout.
. . ."

To get an idea of the jump squat and skaters, take a look at the videos by TRX that I found about hips. These are examples of cardio exercises that can be done without TRX but I'm much more willing to do then with a little support from TRX. Not as worried about falling and improving core strength is a bonus. I do skaters but tend not to do jumping exercises much given that I've been ACL-deficient for a while (not a skiing injury).

https://over50skifitness.blogspot.com/2016/06/trx-for-hips.html

MissySki

Angel Diva
:thumbsup:

Interesting that the SKI article I linked in Post #49 still exists, but was updated in 2017. The main difference is that there are no longer videos showing the TRX exercises. Instead there is a link to the 8-week online ski fitness course that SKI came up with a few years ago that costs money. From the description of the course, no equipment is needed so that all exercises can be done at home.

Get Fit: Suspension Workout
" . . .
"Skiing has a high neuromuscular demand, and it requires balance, agility, strength, endurance and power,” says Pitcher. You can improve those measures of fitness by with these TRX-specific exercises. All of these exercises could be done without the TRX equipment—found at most gyms or purchased online—but the suspension aspect increases the intensity and efficiency of this workout.
. . ."

To get an idea of the jump squat and skaters, take a look at the videos by TRX that I found about hips. These are examples of cardio exercises that can be done without TRX but I'm much more willing to do then with a little support from TRX. Not as worried about falling and improving core strength is a bonus. I do skaters but tend not to do jumping exercises much given that I've been ACL-deficient for a while (not a skiing injury).

https://over50skifitness.blogspot.com/2016/06/trx-for-hips.html

We did the jump squats yesterday, during an interval set of rows and bicep curls which was a nice break between jumping. I much prefer the support from the TRX for this as well versus standalone jump squats.

We also did single leg lunges first with one leg behind you in a sling and then with a leg out to the side. This was in between the burpee sets I mentioned. I really liked how much range of motion I could get on the extended leg in each case, great support that seemed to make the rest of my form better.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My trainer uses the TRX in almost every workout I do. He incorporates it with kettlebells, dumbbells etc. I'm amazed at the number of things one can do with the TRX.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna