• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips and techniques for getting up from a fall?

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Divas!

I've been lurking for a while and I have to say that I really love this community and have already picked up a ton of useful tips and thoughts. I'm in my second season of skiing and my husband and I have season passes to our local hill (and it really is a hill, as I'm in the Midwest) so I'm trying to get out there as much as possible so I can see some improvement this year.

Last weekend we went out after I took a couple of weeks off and it was a bit discouraging as I felt like I was back to square one. On the other hand, I had a revelation - it was really cold out, and I found that I wasn't going as fast as I normally do down the bunny hill, which was kind of nice (I am working on controlling my speed so I don't panic when I get to the top of the other green slopes).

On the other hand, it was kind of...not as much fun! So I thought, maybe speed isn't my problem but rather I'm afraid of falling down? I'm not afraid of getting hurt when I fall, per se, but rather I have the hardest time getting up from a fall and always need my husband nearby so he can help haul me up. I have looked online for tips, know how to put my skis across the fall line, know where to put my poles to use them as support and know (in theory) to put my weight forward over my boots. The problem is, no matter how hard I try, I think I just don't have the upper body strength to push myself up. Does anyone else have this problem and is there anything I can try? I'd love to get over this fear so that I can go out by myself more!

marzNC

Angel Diva
On the other hand, it was kind of...not as much fun! So I thought, maybe speed isn't my problem but rather I'm afraid of falling down? I'm not afraid of getting hurt when I fall, per se, but rather I have the hardest time getting up from a fall and always need my husband nearby so he can help haul me up. I have looked online for tips, know how to put my skis across the fall line, know where to put my poles to use them as support and know (in theory) to put my weight forward over my boots. The problem is, no matter how hard I try, I think I just don't have the upper body strength to push myself up. Does anyone else have this problem and is there anything I can try? I'd love to get over this fear so that I can go out by myself more!
Welcome! Small hills are a great place to learn. Have you taken a lesson or two? Group lessons can be a good deal when it's too cold for some people.

As for getting up, easiest way is to simply pop off at least one binding. I'm taking a group multi-week lesson at my local hill in VA. All advanced skiers, mostly seniors. One guy got distracted and fell when we were standing and listening to the instructor. He simply popped off both bindings without even thinking about any other approach.

I was doing a free mountain tour at Taos last season. Got off the lift with the first view of Kachina Peak. I was looking at the peak, caught an edge, and went down hard . . . right in front of the Ski Patrol hut. Totally embarrassing. It was flat hard pack. I didn't bother to think about getting up until I took in the view. Got help to stand up. I'm an advanced skier who learned to ski long ago. So the problem of getting up on the flats is not just for beginners.

Jilly

Staff member
First - have you taken any lessons. This is something that is taught sometime during beginner lessons.

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the replies! Yes, I have taken lessons - I took a series of 3 group lessons last year, and I am signed up for a private lesson in 2 weeks. Unfortunately my previous instructors did not cover (very much) how to get up - they usually just hauled us up when we fell.

I have sometimes popped off both bindings, but maybe next time I'll try taking just one off! I've never thought of that!

Jilly

Staff member
It's slower than the diagonal way, but using the herringbone will get you up too. Problem is your butt is stuck up in the air. So, not graceful either. Once you get off the greens things will be easier.

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
Oh, I am not proud and will happily stick my butt up in the air if it means getting up! Does that mean that, instead of having your skis off to one side, you put your weight in between both skis and push yourself up with your hands? I am not familiar with the herringbone technique.

alison wong

Angel Diva
When I was a beginner, I used to fall a lot. From my experience, it is always difficult to get up from a relatively flat surface (e.g. bunny hill). Therefore, taking off the bindings is the easiest. However, if you fall on a steeper terrain (blue or black), it is quite easy to get up without the need to take off bindings. I'd say it is a bad idea to take off bindings when you fall on a steeper trail coz it will be tricky to put them back.
Again I am speaking based on my experience:
1) flat terrain - take off bindings
2) steeper terrain - do not take off bindings.

Yes, I can totally relate to your experience, I don't have upper body strength either. So I find it hard to get back up when I fall on a flat terrain. I don't use poles to help, I found them to be in my way and usually, I just use hands and arms, to push me to slid forward, then "lift" up my rear end, and stand back up.. Hope this helps.

I took lessons and instructors would offer different tricks about getting back up after a fall. I found it not the most useful. For me, it is just one of those things that you have to do enough times to get the hang of it.

I promise you, once you are advancing and get on a steeper terrain, it will be much easier to get back up when you fall.

On a different note, one time I fell, my head was pointing downhill, and legs uphill, since my ski pants were bit large and loose, I almost lost my pants as I was sliding downhill. Lesson learned: either 1) wear properly fitted pants; 2)hold on your pants as you slide....

Last edited:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was doing a free mountain tour at Taos last season. Got off the lift with the first view of Kachina Peak. I was looking at the peak, caught an edge, and went down hard . . . right in front of the Ski Patrol hut. Totally embarrassing. It was flat hard pack. I didn't bother to think about getting up until I took in the view. Got help to stand up. I'm an advanced skier who learned to ski long ago. So the problem of getting up on the flats is not just for beginners.
. Those are the :eek::redface::rolleyes::doh: best moments aren't they? Yes, the creation of memories for the skier and entertainment for the crowd is nothing short of humiliation at it's finest. On the there hand, regarding attempts to get up on flats, it is difficult. I have never been able to pop a binding from the ground. And it is too easy to tweak your knees making efforts to bring skis into optimal position for getting upright. Those abdominal muscles are where we find our source of strength. Practice getting up from the floor in your house. You will become knowledgeable about what might work best for you. Just remember we've all been in the same predicament !

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Edit: on the other hand. Sorry. I don't type well from a phone. Actually, I don't type well at all. Where is the Gregg's when you need it?

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, thanks everyone! I think what I might do after work tonight is take my skis and boots to our (flat) backyard and try a few different techniques to see what works for me. Luckily our backyard is also pretty private! I'm sure it would entertain our neighbors to no end, otherwise.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow, thanks everyone! I think what I might do after work tonight is take my skis and boots to our (flat) backyard and try a few different techniques to see what works for me. Luckily our backyard is also pretty private! I'm sure it would entertain our neighbors to no end, otherwise.
Occurs to me that you could start in the house just getting up from the floor in ski boots. If you have carpet, nothing wrong with putting your skis down on the floor either.

As an aside, have you popped a binding using a ski pole?

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
I could do that! Not sure why I wanted to go outside, although it's been pleasantly warm today. I have popped my bindings with my ski pole, yes. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I could do that! Not sure why I wanted to go outside, although it's been pleasantly warm today. I have popped my bindings with my ski pole, yes. :smile:
Main advantage of going outside is that you could try the herringbone technique. That requires that the edges dig in so that the skis don't slide. Of course, you could also ask hubby to make sure your skis don't slide if practicing indoors.

My brother-in-law lives in St. Paul. What do you consider "pleasantly warm"? In central NC, most people stayed indoors on Thu and Fri when temps were in the 20s during the day after 1-3 inches of snow fall on Wed night. That included the construction guys working on neighborhoods near my house. They went back to work on Monday when temps reached the low 40s.

newboots

Angel Diva
It’s easy when you pop off one Ski. I’ve been learning to do it without popping the ski. I get them lined up parallel, get up sort of on my knees, and then I prop myself in my pole and push up. The people who tried to teach me said “bend your knees” but I couldn’t translate that into any useful action. At the moment when I’m more or less on my knees, the near ankle hurts, which is motivation to push up to standing.

I agree core strength is probably the primary factor here.

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
My brother-in-law lives in St. Paul. What do you consider "pleasantly warm"? In central NC, most people stayed indoors on Thu and Fri when temps were in the 20s during the day after 1-3 inches of snow fall on Wed night. That included the construction guys working on neighborhoods near my house. They went back to work on Monday when temps reached the low 40s.

I'm in Wisconsin, so it's 37 here which means it's barbecue and shorts weather for us! :D

I’ve been learning to do it without popping the ski. I get them lined up parallel, get up sort of on my knees, and then I prop myself in my pole and push up. The people who tried to teach me said “bend your knees” but I couldn’t translate that into any useful action. At the moment when I’m more or less on my knees, the near ankle hurts, which is motivation to push up to standing.

That's interesting - I feel like, when I'm in this position, my weight is too far back and I can't seem to shift it so that I'm generally over the front of my boots/skis. I'll try harder when I practice this tonight at home - I feel like it's going to be easier to get a feel for what I'm doing wrong when I'm not so worried about getting plowed over by someone else!

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'll try harder when I practice this tonight at home - I feel like it's going to be easier to get a feel for what I'm doing wrong when I'm not so worried about getting plowed over by someone else!

I agree with everyone that mentioned practice at home, along with not getting plowed over, you won't be utilizing ski time trying to learn to get up. Another exercise you can do is try to sit on the floor without using your hands/arms and then get up without using them. This will help with the feeling of "getting your center of mass over your feet" and utilizing your abs and legs instead of upper body strength. Then try just pretending you have skis/boots on getting up, and think about how you would get up without the restrictions ...then I'd try it with skis and boots.

newboots

Angel Diva
It’s kind of a trick. When you get it, you realize it didn’t take extraordinary strength. I think it’s hard to describe in words.

When you don’t pop off a Ski, it’s easier on the side of the hill than on the flat. Don’t try to stand if your skis are headed downhill. Only straight across the hill, with the downhill Ski thoroughly planted.

My early instructors didn’t teach this either, even though I asked.

Jilly

Staff member
As an instructor we don't teach falling or how to get up until it happens....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna