• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips and techniques for getting up from a fall?

Elinor

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Divas!

I've been lurking for a while and I have to say that I really love this community and have already picked up a ton of useful tips and thoughts. I'm in my second season of skiing and my husband and I have season passes to our local hill (and it really is a hill, as I'm in the Midwest) so I'm trying to get out there as much as possible so I can see some improvement this year.

Last weekend we went out after I took a couple of weeks off and it was a bit discouraging as I felt like I was back to square one. On the other hand, I had a revelation - it was really cold out, and I found that I wasn't going as fast as I normally do down the bunny hill, which was kind of nice (I am working on controlling my speed so I don't panic when I get to the top of the other green slopes).

On the other hand, it was kind of...not as much fun! So I thought, maybe speed isn't my problem but rather I'm afraid of falling down? I'm not afraid of getting hurt when I fall, per se, but rather I have the hardest time getting up from a fall and always need my husband nearby so he can help haul me up. I have looked online for tips, know how to put my skis across the fall line, know where to put my poles to use them as support and know (in theory) to put my weight forward over my boots. The problem is, no matter how hard I try, I think I just don't have the upper body strength to push myself up. Does anyone else have this problem and is there anything I can try? I'd love to get over this fear so that I can go out by myself more!
I agree with the others who've observed that falling down is just part of the skiing experience, and it's good to do whatever works for you to get up again. Often I find my falls are in the most unexpected moments of nothing much happening, or even just standing still - so I'm way past being embarrassed these days. ( I like the attitude of Badger who said:" Yes, the creation of memories for the skier and entertainment for the crowd" :wink: )
And yes, getting up on the flat is hardest for me too, so that's where I'll pop a ski - or both - to get up. No worries.
Pilates exercises are great for building up the core strength.
But overall, I've found so many people are kind and quickly offer help to a downed skier. I always gladly accept such chivalry.

Good for you seeking helpful tips and trying them out...that's what gets you up that learning curve faster than anything!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I suggest to my clients to just take one ski off, preferably the uphill one. Then stand up using your knees, balance on your downhill ski and put the removed one back on. If you have to take the downhill ski off, then once it's off, lie back onto the snow and roll your whole self over to point your body and the attached uphill ski in the other direction. This will magically move that attached ski into the downhill position. Stand up and put the other ski on. All done!

It's important to have the downhill ski be the attached one. That's because clicking into a downhill ski can be impossible because of the way the hill falls away under the downhill edge of the ski. You always want to be clicked into and standing on that downhill ski while putting on the uphill ski.

If you fall on the flats, take both skis off and stand up, take a bow to the crowd, and put both back on with your head held high. Everyone watching has done that at least once in their ski lives.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For those who find video useful and prefer to keep both skis on, Darren Turner of the SkiSchoolApp demonstrates how to get up. Note the idea of putting skis 90 degrees to the slope. Do not want your skis to slide as you are trying to stand up.

alison wong

Angel Diva
For those who find video useful and prefer to keep both skis on, Darren Turner of the SkiSchoolApp demonstrates how to get up. Note the idea of putting skis 90 degrees to the slope. Do not want your skis to slide as you are trying to stand up.
It is a good video. But from his demo, seems it takes a lot out of the upper body to get back up? I've tried a similar trick, I just don't have enough upper body strength to get myself up, it almost strained my back.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My adult students have a very difficult time doing what he just did. He knows how to do it, and makes it look easy. It's worth a try though. The way he grabbed the poles is especially helpful; I'll show my students this tactic in the future.

But that way of standing up isn't going to work on the flats or on a low-pitch beginner slope. Part of his success comes from the pitch allowing his feet to be downhill enough of the body to give the arm/chest muscles some relief in their task. The steeper the slope, the easier it is to stand up.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is a good video. But from his demo, seems it takes a lot out of the upper body to get back up? I've tried a similar trick, I just don't have enough upper body strength to get myself up, it almost strained my back.

It does take a lot of upper body strength. Back when I was weightlifting seriously I could push myself up anywhere. Now with age, crappy knees and various other annoyances I tend to take at least one ski off and if I’m on the flat usually both.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not a huge fan of using poles. They can snap and cause severe injuries if they are weighted improperly. I use the monky knuckles to the snow towards the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (tips of skis) approach, but then again they are more flexible than most adults. Getting hurt trying to get up is not worth it. If the terrain is green/flat, take the uphill ski off. Fastest and safest.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I can't remember if I posted this here but the take-away I remember from the video (without watching it again) was getting your butt up higher than anything else before trying to get upright and that helped me immensely last year.

Yup. It ain't pretty but a real secret is getting you butt up into the air first! If you try to put your head up first, it's just not going to happen.

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
I wish I'd seen this post earlier! On a recent ski day, I fell on a somewhat flat spot after one of my ski tails hit the top of a tree (still early season coverage!) I tried very hard to push myself up but couldn't and in the end, I removed a ski. I felt silly doing it, but it worked.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't even attempt to stand up without removing a ski. It always feels like I'm going to torque a knee if I don't and frankly, it takes less time. Now, there's times when this isn't a great idea (if you're off piste and it's deep), but fortunately I don't fall much to begin with and even less then. I've made the mistake of removing a ski to exit an avalanche field because I couldn't turn without hitting huge debris. Sunk up to my crotch on that leg and had to dig out that leg to move (after that I just sat and tobogganed on my butt to where I could find firm enough snow to put it back on. Yes, it looked lame, but no one was around.)

newboots

Angel Diva
I got the hang of standing up on both skis last year (it was sort of like getting almost on my knees and then tipping up into an upright position) but I can’t quite figure it out so far this year. This was on a not-too-steep grade.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to be able to face uphill on firm snow with my skis pointing outwards and uphill, belly towards the ground. Then stick my butt in the air and push off with my hands. But there's all that manoeuvering just to get to that point. Just easier to pop a ski and stand up and in any depth of snow it doesn't work.

TahoeCruzer

Angel Diva
All these are useful ideas. I am always so grateful when someone comes along and lends a hand. Especially after a spectacular fall like I had the other day, sliding a good 100 yards down the mountain and losing both skis on a very steep slope. It was easy to get up with no skis on and I was so glad a couple stopped and helped me get my skis back in the right position to get back into them. It is not just the awkwardness of falling, but sometimes when you take a major fall it really shakes you up so it is hard to think clearly at first. Having most of my weight on my backend has always made getting up a challenge.I appreciate all the suggestions.

TahoeCruzer

Angel Diva
I generally ski cautiously so as to avoid the falls. Last week I got body slammed from behind by a woman who was not looking where she was going. We both landed flat out. Once we checked that each of us were OK, she apologized and I said, "Don't apologize, just come over and give me a hand up!" that's what I need, and she did. That is another graceful way to get up from a fall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna