• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tips and techniques for getting up from a fall?

Jilly

Staff member
If its towards the end of a long lesson, then maybe. It is something that should be covered. I don't remember too many beginner lessons where someone didn't fall. We have a terrible beginner lift with handles. So usually someone crosses their tips, and we do a get up lesson...

I seriously cannot help anyone, even kids up. My right rotator cuff won't stand it. So it's get yourself up!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like to teach how to get back up, but usually only in my first day beginner lessons, unless I see an inefficient or painful looking attempt.

I agree with previous posts that taking at least one if not both skis off when you fall on a flat surface is preferable. There are definitely a couple of ways to get up without doing so but one will put some unpleasant tension on the knee and the other requires very strong core and could also pull on both knees.

If the hill has even a slight bit of pitch to it I suggest that if you take only one ski off make sure that the other one is fully perpendicular to the slope

If you fall and you get your skis perpendicular to a hill that's a bit steeper I find that the best way is to draw an imaginary rainbow from the tip of your skis up to your waist and then put your knuckles on the ground in front of you. Start to straighten your arms and lift your butt off the ground as you walk your knuckles or hands along the rainbow towards the tip of the skis. This is what we teach the kids who of course are much more flexible.

Then there is the challenge of getting the ski or skis back on when it's really steep, deep or icy.....fodder for another post.

Personally, I would never use the poles to try to get myself up. They are not design to handle such weights at potentially bendy angles. People have gotten very hurt from broken poles.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I think teaching how to get up is critical and should be a part of all beginner-ish lessons. The first question people often have is how to get up. On the flats, yes, removing a ski is the only way (unless you're young and have abs of steel!). On a slope, it's so much easier. I encourage the person not to rush, to gather their wits, to make sure (and this is key) their skis are completely across the hill (perpendicular to the fall line) - even if the skis are pointing a tiny bit downhill, that can spell trouble. How the person actually gets up may depend on their strength, flexibility, athleticism, etc. but for me, I find that once my skis are across the hill I kind of go onto my knees (uphill of the skis) and slowly push myself up using my hands (not poles - though sometimes that can work).

For anyone who is apprehensive about falling (and aren't we all), I would suggest some practice. Choose a not-busy slope and have a willing partner who if necessary can help you up. Then just sit down and try getting up on slopes of different steepness. You'll figure out what works for you.

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
I just had to share that we went skiing tonight and I fell! And I got right back up again! It only took a couple of minutes - I just popped off one ski, moved it to a better position, and used SkiBam's rainbow technique to shift my weight forward. (Not sure I technically needed this part but it only took a second and, well, it worked!) I was so proud of myself! :smile: Thanks for all the tips and commiseration!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I'm terrible at getting up on flats! pop the ski off. It'll get shockingly easier once you're on a steeper pitch! yay!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's an easy way to do it without taking your skis off, regardless of slope. I've been trying to find a video, because I KNOW there's one out there, but I can't find it.

Orient yourself so your skis are downhill from your body. Make sure your toes are both pointed out away from you, so your skis make a V behind you. Allow your skis to slide back a tiny bit while pushing your butt WAY up in the air with your head down (this is KEY!!). Then, push back with your hands and let your skis start to slide back more. As long as you keep your head down, you'll eventually end up on your feet and hands, then you can slide your hands back and stand up. No removing of skis, or cleaning out your bindings, or torking your knees, and anything. It looks awkward, but I've never seen anyone that couldn't do it no matter how young or old, how skinny or not. Its the ONLY way I can get up on the flats due to super-bum knees.

Aha!! I found it!!

Last edited:

GoingDownhillWeeeee!

Certified Ski Diva
My method for getting up on flats is to "gather myself up", that is, to sort of crouch down while lying down (if that makes sense). Then, with my skis across the fall line I dig the edges in a bit and don't really push so much as rotate myself up... I'm having a hard time thinking of the right words. The idea is since I'm short I don't need the same rotational force as I would if I was standing taller. It's easy to stand up once my weight is over my feet.

mustski

Angel Diva
Again I am speaking based on my experience:
1) flat terrain - take off bindings
2) steeper terrain - do not take off bindings.

This pretty much is truth. If it is flat or gentle terrain, it is much simpler to pop a binding on the uphill ski, stand up, and pop back in. However, on steeper terrain ... do NOT take off your ski. Brakes or no brakes, those babies can still slide! See Ursula and Laura's video above. On the bright side, it is much easier to get up on a steeper run!

Jenny

Angel Diva
So timely! I had a tiny little tip over today, and then a loooooonnnngggg slide downhill. When I finally managed to stop I was trying to get up and thinking of this video. It was so steep and firm that I did NOT take off a ski, like I usually do. I had my skis below me, going across the hill, edges dug in, and DH below me, to prevent further sliding. I started to get up, but could feel that I wasn't going to make it UNTIL I remembered Ursula patting her head and pointing vigorously downward. So I followed directions, and wow did that make a huge difference.

Thanks to both @Ursula and @Skisailor for this. Next, could you do one with self arrest techniques? I couldn't get my hands positioned to use the pole handles, and I couldn't get my feet enough below my head, and it was too firm to dig in my elbows or anything else I could think of. DH says I went maybe 50 yards or so, but it felt like forever, and I was starting to get kind of worried about it. Managed to slow down enough so that I didn't take him down when he skied below me and braced himself for impact, but I really don't know how.

newboots

Angel Diva
Maybe Ursula doesn't have to fall down the hill over and over. If YouTube has any good ideas?

I found this one:

Comments from people who know something would be welcome!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna