• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: The Perfect Skiing Breakfast?!?

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depends where I am that morning.

If I'm skiing from home (Fernie, Red Mtn, Castle Mtn), I usually have 1 or 2 fried eggs on a piece of toast and some fruit, with coffee for the drive.

If I've had to stay overnight somewhere and am in a hotel, I've brought breakfast with me to eat in the room, usually muffins, yogurt, and fruit.

I'm a bring-it-myself kind of girl...only meal that ever gets bought on ski trips is dinner.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My go-to breakfast for my mornings out on the hill is:
1. set the coffeemaker for 4 cups. Consume contents of coffeepot.
2. instant oatmeal with added in chocolate chips and a spoonful of peanut butter mixed in.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My favorite ski bk would be a lightly toasted sesame bagel, cream cheese, homemade smoked salmon or lox, thin red onions, tomato, capers/QUOTE]

This would be my favourite breakfast period. Yummy!

Another favourite I have is Scrambled egg with smoked salmon. Scramble the eggs until they are just setting, remove from the heat, stir in chopped up pieces of smoked salmon, add black pepper to taste. The salmon will cook slightly and imparts a delicious smoky flavour throughout the eggs. If you want it to look prettier, lay smoked salmon around the edge of a plate and pile scrambled eggs in the middle.

I have heard that this is Prince Charles' favourite too.

bluebird

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LilaBear-Yummo! I love fish and eggs for bk...when my friends come from Alaska they always bring homemade smoke salmon, raw tuna and halibat. I always feel so good the next day after eating fish..normalizes my hormones I guess. One of my favorite bk is crab eggs benedict....it comes with avocado! It is very hard to find and is probably more a bk one orders at one of those quaint joints in Laguna Beach, Ca. I never sat bk so I usually eat a sandwhich on the hill around 10..it makes me feel not so weighed down like lunch does on the hill. This week I lightly toasted rosemary/garlic bread, smeared wasabe mayo, cold pork roast, jack cheese, romaine lettuce, sugarsnap peas, grated carrots and fresh mint! Put wasabe mayo on both sides of bread. It is kind of a thai crazy combo but so good...even healthier in pita bread. Yesturday's powder day in Tahoe was ok...lots of crust underneath..we need some more snow!

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kedgeree - a smoked fish, eggs and rice combo created by the British Raj in India. This is a great Brunch dish.

zoomchick

Certified Ski Diva
My favorite ski breakfast is the sticky rice you get from Chinese DimSum places. I try to order extra to freeze and take to the mountain. They are the perfect bundle of savory rice and sausage.

Otherwise, coffee and either oatmeal or toast with cheese and salami.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
one small cup of the richest hot chocolate (NOT cocoa) I can find.

But that's because I'm living in New England, and it is not possible to obtain good Tex-Mex in this area. I'm originally a Texan, and my preferred breakfast for any activity is a couple of potato and egg breakfast tacos with plenty of hot salsa, and possibly some guacamole. Not those whacking huge breakfast burritos. The ones I'm thinking of are rolled up in a normal-size (6") flour taco and wrapped in a thin piece of foil, and you get them at a drive-up window for about $0.79 each.

Darn. Now I've made myself homesick.

Nemaine

Diva in Training
I love breakfast but its a real holiday treat for me as I usually don't get time on a normal day. We ski mostly in France so breakfast for me is chunks of fresh french bread (still warm) with reblechon cheese and strawberry jam... oh and lots of tea. Can't even remember my own name unless I've had that first cup of tea.

Great thread.

bluebird

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have the best bread in the WORLD..I don't even eat the bread in the states and certainly not for breakfast...makes me long for a trip to France.

B

B.E.G.

I love breakfast but its a real holiday treat for me as I usually don't get time on a normal day. We ski mostly in France so breakfast for me is chunks of fresh french bread (still warm) with reblechon cheese and strawberry jam... oh and lots of tea. Can't even remember my own name unless I've had that first cup of tea.

Great thread.

Ooooh so jealous!

I'm terrible about breakfast, even on ski days - I usually inhale a couple granola bars and a latte in the morning (my usual routine actually). I hate heavy breakfasts - they make me full and lazy, though they're delicious!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been on a steel oats kick. I make up a batch of it at the start of the week and then just microwave it with a little extra milk to loosen it up and toss in some dried or fresh fruit and nuts. I don't really get tired of it because I vary the flavors I use, today I just added maple syrup, but yesterday I had dried cherries with almonds and a bit of vanilla extract.

Some days I'll have coffee, but those days are getting rare, mostly just when folks are visiting.

Oh, and if we want to really change things up I'll whip up some breakfast burritos with eggs, salsa, chorizo and cheese. Those are good wrapped in tin foil and taken in the car!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My perfect ski breakfast is some sort of fruhstuck, whether you are actually in Austria or Germany or maybe at Pepi's or the Sonnenalp in Vail ... buffet of breads, cold cuts, cheese, boiled eggs, yogurt, muesli, etc etc.

We used to serve this at the bed-and-breakfast I ran, years ago in another life. A big, big hit with guests. I would completely agree that it would be the perfect ski breakfast, as long as someone else prepares it and cleans up afterwards!

What I usually have is oatmeal with cinnamon sugar or maple syrup (depending on flavor), some kind of fruit, yogurt, and coffee. Sometimes DS makes crepes - he is a master crepe maker. Pancakes, waffles and such tend to be too heavy for me if I'll be skiing, though sometimes I'll have a scrambled egg if I need more protein.

The only non-negotiable is coffee. GOOD coffee.

Mitch09

Certified Ski Diva
If it is day skiing....then we are usually staying up at Whistler at our club cabin.....so breakfast for me would be Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal followed by toast and jam and of course no day starts without COFFEE! :yahoo: If we are night skiing....that is usually on one of the local Vancouver mountains....so it is usually a sub sandwich picked up along the way to the base!

Blue Diamond

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Coffee, of course, + egg sandwich and banana

The only non-negotiable is coffee. GOOD coffee.

I totally agree with you, gardenmary. As for the rest, I like an egg sandwich on whole wheat or multigrain bread and a banana. I feel this breakfast keeps me with enough energy, without feeling heavy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna