• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: The Perfect Skiing Breakfast?!?

Anna

Angel Diva
Thought it would be interesting to find out about everyone's breakie (breakfast) habits!!!

What's your perfect set up for the day's energy requirements?

Me, being Aussie, but not the sole reason and not saying all Aussies are like me:
I need at least 4 slices of toast smothered in butter and VEGEMITE! :smile:
And then a massive glass of milk.
Good til about 10.30-11am :smile: :thumbsup:

You?

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same thing I have most days. smoothie (water, protein powder, frozen fruit, bit of yoghurt and fish oil) and a piece of toast with peanut butter. And coffee. mmm...coffee...

Elsbeth

abc

Banned
New Yorker here. (disclaimer: not all New Yorkers are like me)

- Bagel with cream cheese.
- Coffee

Christy

Angel Diva
I try to make a small fritatta the night before, then I eat it in the car on the way up. I can't get it together enough to actually make a decent breakfast at that early hour. Sometimes we'll stop at Starbucks for egg sandwiches. They aren't my favorite egg sandwiches but there aren't other good options on the highways up to the mountains.

altagirl

Staff member
I'll sometimes make my own breakfast sandwiches to eat on the way up - usually eggs and bacon in either a tortilla or english muffin or some such thing. Or like a potato scramble, or a protein/fruit smoothie, or....

I change things up pretty regularly.

Jilly

Staff member
Regular breakie is 1/2 C of egg whites, a little shredded cheese, (cooked like a frititata) and a piece of toast with cream cheese or peanut butter. Low carbs for me, but....

If we have company at the condo - bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, bagels, english muffins, tomatoes, fruit, frozen waffles - whatever is in the fridge, or they bring!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most often I do a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I can make it the night before, have it packed with all my stuff and when I'm finally hungry on the drive up I can eat it. Or it can go in a coat pocket for eating on a lift ride.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I eat cereal at home and drink a LARGE coffee on the gondola on my way up. sometimes even another coffee up top...

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depends where I am, at home, at mountain, at hotel ... If I have to drive early, I usually don't eat much more than coffee and cereal or a bar at home, then I'll add something closer to start time, usually an egg sandwich or egg burrito of some sort (McDonalds, Starbucks, wherever).

My perfect ski breakfast is some sort of fruhstuck, whether you are actually in Austria or Germany or maybe at Pepi's or the Sonnenalp in Vail ... buffet of breads, cold cuts, cheese, boiled eggs, yogurt, muesli, etc etc.

Oh, Scotch eggs are good, too. We have a friend who makes these when we ski together ... sometimes I eat them early, other times I stick one in my pocket for the lift.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Peanut butter or PB and Nutella on multi-grain bread
Banana
travel mug of dark roast coffee

to go

Anna

Angel Diva
Pinto said, "Oh yeah, I eat lots of bananas, too." - MANY of you eat them too.

I *WISH* I could!
Bananas and honey/sugar in a long hotdog roll ....
*WISH*

They make me CHUCK UP everywhere :( sad but true.

*sigh* I'll have to stick to my Vegemite and tasty cheese for lunch/seconds breakfasts. (Vegemite = HIGH in Vit B's and C's, just dash salty so need water :smile:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never had Vegemite, but I hear it is an acquired taste.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have good memories of Vegemite. When I lived in Chile I had a couple of Aussie friends who introduced me. I crave salt these days, maybe I need to see if I can find some. What's the difference between Vegemite and Marmite?

Anna

Angel Diva
Vegemite :smile: yup, it is an aquired taste and I am so pleased I was brought up on it.
I don't like any other "yeast extract spreads" out there either .. :smile::smile:
*puke* :smile: so I know what it MIGHT be like for someone who doesn't like it :smile:

:ski3:

Anna

Angel Diva
......... maybe I need to see if I can find some. What's the difference between Vegemite and Marmite?.........

Robyn: I do not really know :smile: Just try it :smile: I am sure there are Aussie shops around - if not - I don't mind spending a few dollars and posting you some :smile:

On a ski holiday where I'm staying near the mountain, it's oatmeal with fruit and a little brown sugar. I like to take a baggie with nuts to munch on as a late morning snack. When driving to Vermont, I'll take cheese and pieces of sesame bread or crackers in the car and now and then I'll indulge in a breakfast sandwich before I leave the lodge. I never ski very well after lunch, so I like to start full and ski for 2-3 hours. Once it's March and the light is better in the afternoons, I'll have a light lunch at 1 and head back out if I'm not too tired from the morning.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I'm probably the unusual one in that I don't normally eat ~any~ breakfast, just ice water and occasionally a lowfat breakfast bar. But, when I ski, I try to have a banana and if that's not available, back to the breakfast bar. I usually don't even think about food when I'm skiing and so choose late lunches, usually percipitated by increasing numbers of skiers rather than hunger. My lunches are usually light, so going back out to ski is definite unless there're too many people or poor conditions, though my legs aren't usually as strong...

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My breakfast before skiing:
2 fried eggs with bacon with cheese over everything
1 Cup of coffee

I will not be hungry till 14-15:00!!!!

I have to add that I try to eat as little as possible carbohydrates and sugar (Dr. Atkins).

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fast and easy. Coffee to go---since I have to sign in early at the mountain, I'm all about the coffee and the music to blast my my way 15 miles up the road in dawn's light. If I have time, I meet up with hosts and patrol at the Alpine Rose, watch the sun rise and the groomers roll in from their night on the mountain, and grab a banana or yogurt and more coffee.

I'm not much of a breakfast eater or lunch for that matter, I prefer to graze, otherwise I slow down and get sluggish.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna