• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2023-24, conditions and latest upgrades at TSV

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Well, the forecast is getting a bit more uncertain for snow this week. Here's what Julien at OpenSnow wrote today:
My best guess several days out is a light refresh of several inches for most northern mountains, with the chance for 4-8" at a few locations.
Tuesday should still be a relatively stormy ski day, with the best chance for soft turns and powder late Tuesday and early Wednesday.
Wind will be a major story Monday through Tuesday in the northern high country.

I also looked at The Weather Channel's forecast (I've found it to be pretty reliable, for the most part). They're predicting a 50% chance of snow (~1") with gusty winds on Monday, but then a 90% chance of snow Monday night (3-5"), and the same for Tuesday, with winds Tuesday 25-30mph, gusting to 50+.

So I'll be very interested to see what OpenSnow's report will be tomorrow and/or Monday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ah well, Lift 1 on wind hold on the Monday morning of Women's Ski Week.

Here's how the OpenSnow Daily Snow for the NM region starts for Feb. 26. High winds will continue into Tuesday, as shown in a graph later in the Daily Snow report.

"Summary

Monday is a transition day between the warm springlike weekend we just enjoyed and a turbulent storm system that will bring wind and dense snow overnight Monday into Tuesday. If warm temperatures and wind don't wreak too much havoc on the snowfall, Tuesday could be a powder day. Two more storms are in the pipeline for March 4-5 and March 8-9."

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 12.17.30 PM.png

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Yep, just came down from TSV, and even here in Taos the winds are around 30-40mph, gusting to 55! There's a wind advisory until 11 PM, for 60 mph winds, and up on the mountain gusts of 75 mph! Tonight it's supposed to snow heavily, continuing through tomorrow, but winds will also continue, so it could be even worse up there.

I drove up thinking perhaps we could have a little Diva coffee klatch while waiting on the weather, but then the ski instructors decided to make use of the time to work on fundamentals on the bunny slope --I've never seen so many people crowded into that area, LOL, but at least the Women's Ski Wk participants are still getting instruction.

It's really too bad for the junior athletes here for the International Freeskiers and Snowboarders Assoc (IFSA) sanctioned Regional Junior Freeride Competition taking place today and tomorrow! :hurt:

JaniceO

Diva in Training
Well, the forecast is getting a bit more uncertain for snow this week. Here's what Julien at OpenSnow wrote today:
My best guess several days out is a light refresh of several inches for most northern mountains, with the chance for 4-8" at a few locations.
Tuesday should still be a relatively stormy ski day, with the best chance for soft turns and powder late Tuesday and early Wednesday.
Wind will be a major story Monday through Tuesday in the northern high country.

I also looked at The Weather Channel's forecast (I've found it to be pretty reliable, for the most part). They're predicting a 50% chance of snow (~1") with gusty winds on Monday, but then a 90% chance of snow Monday night (3-5"), and the same for Tuesday, with winds Tuesday 25-30mph, gusting to 50+.

So I'll be very interested to see what OpenSnow's report will be tomorrow and/or Monday.
I am here for women's ski week. Yes that was us getting the only instruction we could get! Tomorrow our class will probably do exercises again. Would love to meet up with other Divas here!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Let's plan on a little Diva get-together sometime this week -- not sure if tomorrow will also be a wind washout, I suspect it will --but Wed is supposed to be a warm Bluebird day, and Thursday should be nice, as well. How about of we get together Wed at the Hondo for an apré ski drink/snack.Invite anyone from your classes, as well. If folks let me know by tomorrow i can even make a reservation for us.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I am here for women's ski week. Yes that was us getting the only instruction we could get! Tomorrow our class will probably do exercises again. Would love to meet up with other Divas here
@JaniceO PM one of us with your phone # so we can text you. I thought there was another Diva named @alithai here, as well. Has anyone met her? @alithai , PM one of us with your # as well, so we can all get together.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
yes, I am! maybe we can meet up tomorrow sometime, looks like we'll have some free time tomorrow :(
Tomorrow may not be a good time, at least not for me. I'm staying in Taos, so if the lifts are closed again tomorrow, and esp if there's a lot of snow on the road, I may not drive up. How about Wed, as I mentioned above? I'd really like to meet you all.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ll be around in the am. Barb is meeting her lesson in the morning and working on skills on the bunny hill. I’ll meet with her after her class to practice with her in the afternoon. I also want to work my on skills too :smile: our class has decided to call off Tuesday and do a double lesson on Wednesday

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It was mostly a joke because last year during Diva West/Women's Ski week we had a day of wind holds as well. A bunch of us did go into Taos for lunch and then to Ojo Caliente.. it was lovely then.
I skied that day!!!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Some good news from OpenSnow for this week:

Let the countdown begin for our next chance of snow!
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday will continue to bring cool and gusty conditions, but nothing like the extreme winds that kept Kachina Lift closed at Taos on Sunday.
By late Thursday, the first of two waves of snow will arrive in the Land of Enchantment.

Summary

We have a few more dry, cool, and gusty days before our next chance of snow arrives on Thursday and Friday. Pencil in both mornings of Friday, March 8th, and Saturday, March 9th for the chance of soft turns and maybe low-end powder days. Extended models continue to show another storm possible around March 13-14.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I'm bummed the possible Friday snow seems to be trending to Saturday now. No fresh snow here, but still enjoying my week in Taos so far.

Yesterday started off with only the Pioneer lift running and Ski Week postponed to Monday. By 10am yesterday, Lift 1 was up a running and the back side wasn't too windy.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Looks like it may really happen this time...OpenSnow says:

Thursday is a transition day with a Pacific storm making its way to the Land of Enchantment. Light snow could fall overnight Thursday before the main wave of snowfall impacts on Friday afternoon and evening. All mountains should see 1-6" by Saturday morning and a few favored locations 5-12". The next storm in the pipeline is now looking like March 14-15.

By Saturday morning we should see 2-6" at Red River, Taos, Sipapu, Angel Fire, Sandia Peak and Ski Apache....Unlike the last few storm cycles, wind should not be a problem this storm so hopefully we can score some decent, fluffy snow quality.

@edelweissmaedl Hopefully you'll get to ski some of that on Friday before you leave....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna