• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos 2023-24, conditions and latest upgrades at TSV

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Exactly what Stephanie was teaching us. We started out the week (!) on Castor --> Chicken Blitz, did Spencer's Bowl --> Lower Inferno x2, Al's Run, Walkyries Glade, Tell Trees, Psycho Path, among others, and ended up with Lorelei. At the beginning of the week I was pretty petrified on the steep blacks, but by the time we did Walkyries Glade and Lorelei we were just gliding down the bumps!

Steph also stressed the importance of knowing when the conditions were right for doing certain runs, depending on the snow amount, whether the snow was deep/fresh/had been in the sun too long, or blown off by wind,etc.

She also gave us her definition of a black diamond vs double black diamond run: single blacks are difficult, but have "options", whereas double blacks can only be skied one way, and if you mess up, "you're toast", LOL.
Wow good for you! Didn't we ski Chicken Blitz last year? I skied other bump/tree runs with instructor Irene but don't remember names.... except think I loved Edelweiss with the instructor until I tumbled down a bit. Still loved it!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Do you think of the Lorelei bumps as big or medium at this point?
Skied Lorelei on Monday with my instructor Rick B. The first set of bumps were “med” I’d say but challenging because they’d had sun and refreeze. Lower 2/3 were midsize and soft….much more manageable. Got more snow on Weds pm - Fri am. Not a big dump. A fair bit of wind. By Fri AM on much of the terrain bumps were “filled” in and soft. Our group worked on slow skiing for sure. On Thurs we did Jean’s. On Fri after WhiteFeather gully full of snow, we did Blitz from the top, then another up Lift 2 thru Rabbit Hole to the bottom of Stauffenberg. Instructor thought we were ready so we did it! Hiked the West Basin Ridge then skied Stauffenberg from the top. It was the “first time ever” ridge hike for all 4 of us and the sun came out just as we headed up. A good omen!! It was glorious.
Here are photos from midway down Stauffenberg looking up then down. IMG_0305.jpegIMG_0312.jpeg

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Wow good for you! Didn't we ski Chicken Blitz last year? I skied other bump/tree runs with instructor Irene but don't remember names.... except think I loved Edelweiss with the instructor until I tumbled down a bit. Still loved it!
Well, I did get down Chicken Blitz last yr (thanks to your guidance), but I'd say it would be a bit of a stretch to call what I did "skiing", LOL!
It was pretty hard this week, too, but that was because we did it at the beginning of the week -- I'm sure Steph was assessing our skills. Then she took us down a few degrees, and worked us up to Spenser's, Al's, Lorelei, etc. I'm totally thrilled with the progress I made this past week, and can't wait to get out and practice some more. (Taking a rest/laundry day today, since Saturdays are usually crowded, and it's snowing & blowing pretty hard up there right now).

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Skied Lorelei on Monday with my instructor Rick B. The first set of bumps were “med” I’d say but challenging because they’d had sun and refreeze. Lower 2/3 were midsize and soft….much more manageable. Got more snow on Weds pm - Fri am. Not a big dump. A fair bit of wind. By Fri AM on much of the terrain bumps were “filled” in and soft. Our group worked on slow skiing for sure. On Thurs we did Jean’s. On Fri after WhiteFeather gully full of snow, we did Blitz from the top, then another up Lift 2 thru Rabbit Hole to the bottom of Stauffenberg. Instructor thought we were ready so we did it! Hiked the West Basin Ridge then skied Stauffenberg from the top. It was the “first time ever” ridge hike for all 4 of us and the sun came out just as we headed up. A good omen!! It was glorious.
Here are photos from midway down Stauffenberg looking up then down. View attachment 22501View attachment 22502
Impressive! When we hiked the Ridge, our group went in the opposite direction and came down Corner Chute I think... @marzNC and @Olesya Chornoguz were there and can verify. The hike up was definitely a challenge at that altitude and I consider myself in decent shape. However, I'm not young! What fun!

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I’m in the best shape I’ve been in 20 years and it was my second week at altitude and I had new-to-me very, very light skis, 2022 Nela 88s bought from @VickiK. Could well be my first and last time up there! Corner Chute is the other direction on the Ridge, I think called Highline. For those interested, Kachina lift has yet to open, but they have been running it which is a good sign!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Exactly what Stephanie was teaching us. We started out the week (!) on Castor --> Chicken Blitz, did Spencer's Bowl --> Lower Inferno x2, Al's Run, Walkyries Glade, Tell Trees, Psycho Path, among others, and ended up with Lorelei. At the beginning of the week I was pretty petrified on the steep blacks, but by the time we did Walkyries Glade and Lorelei we were just gliding down the bumps!

Steph also stressed the importance of knowing when the conditions were right for doing certain runs, depending on the snow amount, whether the snow was deep/fresh/had been in the sun too long, or blown off by wind,etc.

She also gave us her definition of a black diamond vs double black diamond run: single blacks are difficult, but have "options", whereas double blacks can only be skied one way, and if you mess up, "you're toast", LOL.
Thanks for the details. Progression is always useful.

Stephanie is very good at teaching what I think of as "tactics." She did that in the regular Ski Week I did with her. Learning how to read terrain in general is very useful. The point she repeated was that the easier skiing is on the sides, not in the middle where bumps tend to grow bigger faster.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Impressive! When we hiked the Ridge, our group went in the opposite direction and came down Corner Chute I think... @marzNC and @Olesya Chornoguz were there and can verify. The hike up was definitely a challenge at that altitude and I consider myself in decent shape. However, I'm not young! What fun!
Yep, Corner Chute. I'd done that with Stephanie the season before as well. The snow was deeper then.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Thanks for the details. Progression is always useful.

Stephanie is very good at teaching what I think of as "tactics." She did that in the regular Ski Week I did with her. Learning how to read terrain in general is very useful. The point she repeated was that the easier skiing is on the sides, not in the middle where bumps tend to grow bigger faster.
yes, definitely. Agree about tactics.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Latest weather update from OpenSnow: It's pretty gusty up there today (+/- 40mph), and tomorrow will be sunny, with some continuing gusts, but then it will be dry and fairly warm thru the week.

Extended Forecast

There is a chance for light snow flurries overnight Wednesday, February 21st but minimal if any accumulation is expected currently.
Around Monday, February 26th, we finally see signals of a southern swing in the storm track.
The February 26-28 storm cycle looks like our next best chance for snowfall to round out February 2024, so let's hope it's a good one!

So for those Divas who are planning to be at TSV toward the end of the month, start doing your snow dance for some freshies -- it worked in January!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Here's the latest update from OpenSnow on upcoming conditions at TSV:
The short-term forecast is pretty quiet with five more days of dry and relatively mild conditions in store.
Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday will be the warmest days and also the days with some gusty winds....
All eyes remain on February 26-28. We continue to have model alignment on two systems converging along a trough dipping down to the Four Corners.

I would continue to pencil in Tuesday, February 27th, and Wednesday, February 28th for potential powder.

This is really good news, esp for the upcoming Women's Ski Wk. Right now, although the snow remains in good condition, coverage on the more popular black runs is pretty sparse, with plenty of rocks and vegetation showing. In addition, many popular bump runs have been groomed flat (rumor has it that Louis Bacon has been in town, and he's known for preferring fast skiing on steep runs, but not bumps, so the bump runs get groomed flat when he's expected).

So if we get the 7" that OpenSnow is forecasting for Tuesday, that will really help restore the usual bump runs to their normal state, and will provide the Women's Ski Wk Divas with a bonus powder lesson!

Start those snow dances, Divas! :party: :ski:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Here's some local humor I picked up yesterday while skiing with a local ski buddy, Dianna: A couple of yrs ago Bacon wanted to ski Kachina, but...bumps. So they groomed Main Street flat (!), and after a few days of thawing/freezing it became an ice sheet that the locals named the Bacon Strip, lol. That hasn't happened again, but right now even Hunziker, Zagava, and Tell Glade are completely flat :doh:.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Here's some local humor I picked up yesterday while skiing with a local ski buddy, Dianna: A couple of yrs ago Bacon wanted to ski Kachina, but...bumps. So they groomed Main Street flat (!), and after a few days of thawing/freezing it became an ice sheet that the locals named the Bacon Strip, lol. That hasn't happened again, but right now even Hunziker, Zagava, and Tell Glade are completely flat :doh:.
You are soo in the know! Thanks for the insider insights. Last year Hunziker was groomed flat in the middle with bumps only on the edges. I wonder if Louis Bacon tends to come in late February.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
You are soo in the know! Thanks for the insider insights. Last year Hunziker was groomed flat in the middle with bumps only on the edges. I wonder if Louis Bacon tends to come in late February.
I know he comes for the Taos Wine Festival, which is always in Feb, and he occasionally drops by with friends at other times. I've seem him here in Feb often, but that would make sense, since Feb is arguably the best month to come to TSV, followed by March.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I know he comes for the Taos Wine Festival, which is always in Feb, and he occasionally drops by with friends at other times. I've seem him here in Feb often, but that would make sense, since Feb is arguably the best month to come to TSV, followed by March.
Louis Bacon has been skiing Taos for a long time. It's easier to pick and choose when to be there when flying a private jet. At least I would expect him to take advantage of the Taos airport.

Didn't know he is a native North Carolinian. The Blake family and Taos fans were lucky he was willing to take on the big task of moving TSV into the 21st century as a sustainable 4-season resort.

December 2013

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
The Blake family and Taos fans were lucky he was willing to take on the big task of moving TSV into the 21st century as a sustainable 4-season resort.
Definitely agree that Louis has been a great boon to TSV, as it was slowly falling into disrepair and not growing its customer base before he bought it. It's just amusing to note that he has his little skiing quirks, and tries to change TSV into his own private playground when he's there. I've heard many locals and Instructors say "He's trying to tame the mountain". Of course, nobody likes change except a wet baby, but often without change, there's no progress. I'm grateful that Louis saw that TSV has a future, and that he's also trying to make changes that will not harm the environment, and will keep TSV's unique vibe intact, as much as possible.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don’t possess local knowledge like people who live there do, but can attest he flew in within hours of huge last minute January 2022 powder dump. Lots of people with his crew all enjoyed the skiing off the peak and elsewhere. I was told that every agency and private rental car from TSV to Taos was spoken for, that’s how many people were with him. They all flew in for the goods and everyone seemed quite excited.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I don’t possess local knowledge like people who live there do, but can attest he flew in within hours of huge last minute January 2022 powder dump. Lots of people with his crew all enjoyed the skiing off the peak and elsewhere. I was told that every agency and private rental car from TSV to Taos was spoken for, that’s how many people were with him. They all flew in for the goods and everyone seemed quite excited.
Wouldn't it be awesome to have your own ski resort -- sigh!

Seaglass Skier

Certified Ski Diva
Latest weather update from OpenSnow: It's pretty gusty up there today (+/- 40mph), and tomorrow will be sunny, with some continuing gusts, but then it will be dry and fairly warm thru the week.

Extended Forecast

There is a chance for light snow flurries overnight Wednesday, February 21st but minimal if any accumulation is expected currently.
Around Monday, February 26th, we finally see signals of a southern swing in the storm track.
The February 26-28 storm cycle looks like our next best chance for snowfall to round out February 2024, so let's hope it's a good one!

So for those Divas who are planning to be at TSV toward the end of the month, start doing your snow dance for some freshies -- it worked in January!
Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna