• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So who has new gear for 16/17?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got boots at Boot Pro that were a size too big. They felt good in the shop, but were way too big when I finally got to skiing in them. I hope Shon there can help you out! Mention our Ski Diva, Wendy Clinch, who lives there and buys her boots there, too.

Dieter would absolutely help you....he is great because he's brutally honest and pulls no punches. But Boot Pro should stand by their fitting.

Thanks; I'll be happy with whatever solution gives me properly-fitting boots, but I'll also be a little pissed if I have to have all of my bindings adjusted again. :mad2:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Hat Problem. I love hats. Knit hats more so than baseball hats, but I like those, too. But mostly knit hats. I think I have about 20 of them, collected through the years. Some are Nordic hats, for XC skiing, so they are lighter and more form-fitting; some are knit hats with stylish brims, a few have tassels, one has a pom-pom, one is a knit owl-head, complete with button eyes and felt beak, one has fuzzy earflaps like a Maine or Minnesota lumberjack would wear, and one is a bona-fide Icelandic hat made by an 85-year-old Iceland woman that I bought in the little fishing village of Grindivik. I just can't resist hats, even though I certainly don't need any more! I just bought a new Pistil hat and matching neck gaitor at my local shop just because it was so cute. With very short hair, I am prone to Helmet Head after skiing and Sweaty Head after boxing class, and depend on hats to escape ridicule following both these activities. :tongue:

I also have a knit hat problem. "If buying hats is wrong, I don't want to be right!"

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Enjoy! That goes for the both of you. :smile: But those skis are definitely spectacular.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got back from the Boot Pro. My original boots were 27.5, and now I have new ones, (same model) that are 26.5.

The guys in the shop were great, and they stuck with me for almost two hours of problem-solving on a very busy morning, presenting me with a number of options and being really positive, patient good sports. 27.5 is where I seem to fall in terms of foot length. Problem is, my foot is very narrow, with a big toe that protrudes really far out. So, in order to accommodate my crazy-long big toes, I end up in a boot that's a little big everywhere else, even in a fairly narrow 97mm last.

The 26.5s are at the shop tonight, because they will both have the toe area punched out to create a bit more length, and because the bindings on my two pair of skis need to be adjusted to the new boots.

I don't think it was necessarily "wrong" to put me in the 27.5s; I'm a 47-year old intermediate, and I think they assumed I wanted a "comfort" fit, and the boots certainly felt great when I bought them, so as far as I knew, I was all set. I suspect that most intermediates getting their first pair of ski boots would be squeamish about a super snug boot that needs to be punched in order to fit. But to their credit, the two guys that worked with me, and Matt in particular, took me seriously when I said I wanted an extremely snug, locked-in fit even if that meant dealing with length issues. They were never condescending or pushy about what boot I "should" be in; they took me at my word and gave me several viable ways forward. When I finally settled on the 26.5 RSs, they completely supported the choice and worked with me to dial in the details of the fit (insole, heel snug on my slightly-narrower left foot, etc).

I'm eager to try out the new boots, and I feel that the Boot Pro treated me well and honored their fit promise. They were friendly, professional, and worked hard to remedy my issue.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat That's fantastic!!

My Coalition Snow Abysses are at the shop getting mounted. I'm totally chewing my fingernails.....they're SO pretty I'm afraid they'll screw them up. Plus, I haven't skied them yet and based on my experiences with the SOS, I asked them to mount 2-3 cm back from the marked mounting point! God, I hope I'm right about that!!! Aggggghhhhhhh!!!! :help::tape::noidea:

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SallyCat and @dianakate I skied the Jailbirds today - firm groomers with icy patches and occasional piles of soft snow from snowmaking at Whiteface. They are a fun ski - like to carve at high speed, will do any turn shape you wish, good edge hold on ice. They are not very forgiving but not a very burly ski either (no metal), a strong ski for sure. That's ok - I got them for the race clinic, they should work well for that! Also I noticed it's harder to pivot them in piles of soft snow in between the icy spots - the tails are flat (no tail rocker) and they don't release as easily as my other skis in piles, still doable just have to be more careful. They are most at home carving on firm snow - no surprise there.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga