• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

So what's your quiver like NOW?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
SO was in Mammoth last weekend and sent me pics of the DPS Yvettes (women's version of Wailers) on sale for 40% off. They are the solid pink ones and I have always wanted pink skis. Very tempting...I am 80% sure we are heading down for 4th of July weekend so maybe when I see them in person I will pull the trigger :D[/QUOTE]
That quote got messed up. That was @SkiGAP 's...
I did get the Camox Birdie 2017 though

Last edited by a moderator:

newboots

Angel Diva
Is the competition still on for smallest quiver? Haha - I have zero! Still skiing my season-long rental Head Rev 70 in 149.

I own a quiver! Or at least, a pair of skis. Blizzard Quattros in 153. They are good on the boilerplate and ice, but I have a little trouble in the skied-up piles and crud. More likely the skier than the ski!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Rock Skis 2003 Atomic C-9 160 cm (good condition so would love to sell cheap-teen/college student?)
Slalom: 2008 Atomic Foxy Mama 150 cm (124/74/108)
Giant Slalom: 2010 Atomic Varioflex 157 cm (122/75/109)
All Mountain: 2009 K2 Burnin Luv 156 cm (117/70/101) becoming my "Rock" Ski
Vermont Only-All Mountain: 2013 K2 Super Burnin 160 cm (121/72/106)
All Mountain: 2017 Luv Machine 160 cm (121-74-107)

Jilly

Staff member
So right now:
Rossi Hero Elite ST Carbon
Atomic Vantage 95C

The Rossi's are on their last year....HP's for next year, so they will become rock skis.

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
One pair of skis so far! Moving on from the rentals.
Head Primal Instinct 70s, 149.
I got them at my local second-hand ski store on a great deal, I'll probably wear them through next season and then get better skis later. They were well within even my grad student budget, but I can't find them anywhere on Head's website so they might be rightfully so...
I skiied them at Timberline where they suited me on the groomers but dug themselves into trenches on the more powdery slopes. If I keep on skiing out here in Oregon I might just need wider skis.
@tinymoose any recommendations? I'm about your height/weight...

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2017 Volkl RTM 84. 177cm.
2016 Nordica Soul Rider 177cm.
2016 ON3P Jessie 86 170cm

I just read back and noticed that I still have RTMs and Soul Riders, but in shorter lengths. 177 turned out to be unwieldy in both (even though I demoed the longer length and felt ok at the time), so I did a little Ebay switcheroo and now have 172 RTMs and 169 SRs.

Oh, and the Jessies I just never used even though I liked them, so I sold those and got a pair of 170 Volkl 90Eights, which I hope will help in my effort to learn to ski ungroomed trails a bit this year.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I got them at my local second-hand ski store on a great deal, I'll probably wear them through next season and then get better skis later. They were well within even my grad student budget, but I can't find them anywhere on Head's website so they might be rightfully so...
I skiied them at Timberline where they suited me on the groomers but dug themselves into trenches on the more powdery slopes. If I keep on skiing out here in Oregon I might just need wider skis.
Hello! Yep, slightly wider skis would be more versatile in Oregon. Did you happen to catch my trip report about Mt. Hood Meadows? Would like to get back to ski at Timberline some time.

I'm 5'0", 112 lbs. Older advanced skier now but ten years ago when I bought my first skis, I was an intermediate sticking to groomers most of the time. My first good skis were Rossi skis that were 75 underfoot with a wide shovel around 125mm. They were pretty fun even in 4-5 inches of fresh powder at Alta when I was taking my daughter on spring break trips.

Do your skis look like this? 123/70/106 with turn radius of 13m @171. What length did you get?
https://www.powder7.com/Head-Primal-Instinct-Skis/for-sale

The Head Instinct line are designed as carvers. Skis that are 80-84 underfoot and 145-150cm long would be more like all-mountain skis for a petite skier. If you happened on a pair of used Blizzard BP88 @145cm, might be worth the investment. I liked any Rossignol or Dynastar models as an intermediate. The Salomon QST Myriad 85, 122-85-107, was fun when I rented it for a day in Utah.

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Hello! Yep, slightly wider skis would be more versatile in Oregon. Did you happen to catch my trip report about Mt. Hood Meadows? Would like to get back to ski at Timberline some time.

I'm 5'0", 112 lbs. Older advanced skier now but ten years ago when I bought my first skis, I was an intermediate sticking to groomers most of the time. My first good skis were Rossi skis that were 75 underfoot with a wide shovel around 125mm. They were pretty fun even in 4-5 inches of fresh powder at Alta when I was taking my daughter on spring break trips.

Do your skis look like this? 123/70/106 with turn radius of 13m @171. What length did you get?
https://www.powder7.com/Head-Primal-Instinct-Skis/for-sale

The Head Instinct line are designed as carvers. Skis that are 80-84 underfoot and 145-150cm long would be more like all-mountain skis for a petite skier. If you happened on a pair of used Blizzard BP88 @145cm, might be worth the investment. I liked any Rossignol or Dynastar models as an intermediate. The Salomon QST Myriad 85, 122-85-107, was fun when I rented it for a day in Utah.

Thanks your your thoughtful response MarzNC! I'll keep that in mind! My skis are pinkish instead of black, but I think the model is very similar https://www.ebay.com/itm/like/142651489252. I got a 149 cm length.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I might add to my quiver if I can find some 2018 BP 88 in 152 on sale... no demo bindings though.... prefer a flat ski.
or Head Wild Joy in 153...
Also anyone have a need for my Volkl Kenja 149 from 2011 non rockered? In garage at Northstar house and haven't used them in 3 years...

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 2 pairs that I actually use and one veeeeerrrry old pair of Atomic C-series that I keep for sentimental value and practising my waxing and tuning. The pairs I use:

- 2018 Head Pure Joy in 153: the entry-level ski in the Head series. I don't think they're very popular and wouldn't buy them again, but they're surprisingly versatile for a 72 mm underfoot. I skied on them all winter. More than decent on ice, a lot of fun in the trees but no good at higher speeds or in true powder. Bought these brand-new for 250 euro bindings included at a Decathlon in France.

- 2018 Volkl Aura in 164: I finally pulled the trigger on these about a month ago as I'd been eyeing them for months and there won't be a 2019 version, so... Only had one chance to test them and it was indoors so I can't wait till next winter to take these babies out for a ride. Had Marker Griffon 13 bindings mounted on them.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I started off with the Atomic Hot Minx in 145 as my first skis. Then I briefly owned the Blizzard Viva 7.1 in 149. I only skied less than 5 times because I realized they were too short. I let the shop guy talk me into buying the shorter length. Then I got the Nordica Infinite in 154, which I still have. I also have Goode Nirvana in 156. It's my powder ski but I've hardly used them since we rarely get powder days in the NE. I did get to try them out in the trees this past season. Made some improvement in my tree and bump skiing this season wit them. Lastly, I have the Kastle LX82 in 156. These have become my daily drivers. I might try to sell the Infinites next season.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh crap....where do I begin????? Arranged generally in increasing waist width order, * purchased new.

Volkl P60 SL World Cup 155 (2 prs)
Volkl Racetiger GS World Cup 180 (2 prs)
Volkl P40 F1 189 (downhill race boards)
*Volkl 6 Star 168 (not really in my rotation much any more)
Fischer Hybrid 8.0 168 (won as a year-long demo - just retired and replaced by the RTMs)
Volkl RTM 84 177 (daily driver)
*Lady Hart Twin 176 (my lazy/fun day ski)
Volkl Karma 177 (basically replaced by the more "chill" Harts)
Volkl Aura 177 (full camber version, 2 prs)
Volkl Kiku 178 (full rocker version, mounted with Barons for touring)
*Volkl Kiku 176 (full camber version, currently bindingless because I like the rockered version better)
Volkl Katana 176 (the big-ass crud buster)
Volkl Shiro 184 (love, Love, LOVE this ski!!!!!)
*Coalition Snow Abyss (still trying to figure these out - I may have had the bindings mounted too far back)
Volkl Kuro 175

ASLO
K2 She's Piste 167 with Rotefella Chili telemark bindings
Canon M6 Skiboards
Lib Tech Jamie Lynn signature snowboard

AND
Coalition Snow Bliss 168 midwest demo ski
Coalition Snow SOS 173 midwest demo ski

Strangely enough, after a full year, the only changes to my quiver are that I now own the Coalition Snow demo skis as a thank you from the company after discontinuing their ambassador program. The Bliss are bindingless as they were too short and soft for me and are up for sale if anyone is interested. The SOSs have to fight the Kikus for my attention, but are firmly in the rotation. And, I did, indeed have the Abyss's bindings mounted too far back and I now love them, although they have to fight the Shiros to get snow time. Oh, and after trying again to find the love for the Katanas, they are likely on their way out.

Mother of Cats

Diva in Training
I started skiing this past season for the first time in 20 years. I probably skied 7-8 times at most when I was a kid, so I was essentially a beginner. I did a seasonal rental from my local ski shop, and they put me on gold 147 cm Völkl RTM 76 skis (I'm 5' 5", 140 lbs). They were great for learning, very easy to turn, and I improved pretty rapidly on them. The one thing that I didn't like about them was that they weren't good at handling the cruddy, skied off piles of snow on the trails by the end of the day. I was also starting to feel like they were a bit too short.

By the middle of March, I was ready to return them to the ski shop and buy a pair of skis. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to demo, but I did some research and talked to someone at the ski shop where I'd rented from. I wanted something that would be more of an all-mountain ski, so I ended up going with 2018 Völkl Yumis in the 161 cm length. I was able to take them out three times before the end of the season in variable conditions. I'm still getting used to the length (maybe I should have gone with 154 cm?), but I'm impressed with their ability to handle icy conditions. My last day skiing of the season was at Sugarbush after it had rained all night and then refrozen after grooming, and the Yumis kept a nice firm grip for me.

Maybe someday I will get good enough at skiing to warrant a second pair of skis, but I'm happy to have gone from an empty quiver to a quiver of one.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Hi, @GeoGirl !!

Sorry I've been slow to reply. I was mulling this over in my head how to respond. As far as skis to try/demo definitely get out on the Yumis and Black Pearls. Both are very good skis. This is my review from earlier this year on the two skis: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...kl-yumi-and-black-pearl-88.22628/#post-367251

I honestly haven't tried a lot of other skis recently to offer up much advice. I've been skiing my current Yumis for 3 seasons now and my Kastle LX72s for 2 seasons. My Kastle LX 72s are currently up for sale at a local shop (I'm replacing them with junior slalom race skis for my race class), and I'm contemplating upgrading to the new Yumis b/c I prefer the extra stiffness the titanal band offers in the new model. That being said, if you can find an older Yumi (no metal) that would be a great, softer ski for a lightweight for learning on. I started skiing my Yumis as an advanced intermediate and I think the softness did a lot for me as far as learning how to flex a ski and carve (they're not a soft ski, they're actually stiffer than the Black Pearl, but they're not as stiff as the current Yumi or other skis with metal). Definitely be careful not to go too stiff. Stiff may feel stable and damp and help you plow through stuff, but if you can't flex it, learning how to carve a ski is going to be impossible. I know a lot of lightweights around here have liked Rossi and Head skis. Also mid-range Volkl and K2 carvers with no metal would probably be good too. I prefer my skis a little more on the damp side, but that's just a preference. @marzNC and I rarely like the same skis even though we're similar in size. I also prefer my skis on the shorter side, 147-150; so I think the 149 is a really good length for you, but when you demo you may find you prefer more length. A lot of the shorter ladies here prefer longer skis than me.

ETA: I forgot to ask... where do you live and ski?

Last edited:

GeoGirl

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, @GeoGirl !!

Sorry I've been slow to reply. I was mulling this over in my head how to respond. As far as skis to try/demo definitely get out on the Yumis and Black Pearls. Both are very good skis. This is my review from earlier this year on the two skis: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...kl-yumi-and-black-pearl-88.22628/#post-367251

I honestly haven't tried a lot of other skis recently to offer up much advice. I've been skiing my current Yumis for 3 seasons now and my Kastle LX72s for 2 seasons. My Kastle LX 72s are currently up for sale at a local shop (I'm replacing them with junior slalom race skis for my race class), and I'm contemplating upgrading to the new Yumis b/c I prefer the extra stiffness the titanal band offers in the new model. That being said, if you can find an older Yumi (no metal) that would be a great, softer ski for a lightweight for learning on. I started skiing my Yumis as an advanced intermediate and I think the softness did a lot for me as far as learning how to flex a ski and carve (they're not a soft ski, they're actually stiffer than the Black Pearl, but they're not as stiff as the current Yumi or other skis with metal). Definitely be careful not to go too stiff. Stiff may feel stable and damp and help you plow through stuff, but if you can't flex it, learning how to carve a ski is going to be impossible. I know a lot of lightweights around here have liked Rossi and Head skis. Also mid-range Volkl and K2 carvers with no metal would probably be good too. I prefer my skis a little more on the damp side, but that's just a preference. @marzNC and I rarely like the same skis even though we're similar in size. I also prefer my skis on the shorter side, 147-150; so I think the 149 is a really good length for you, but when you demo you may find you prefer more length. A lot of the shorter ladies here prefer longer skis than me.

ETA: I forgot to ask... where do you live and ski?

Thanks for the advice @tinymoose ! No worries about the delay, ski season is over til next November alas and you've written such a thoughtful answer. I live Oregon and would be skiing at Mt. Hoodoo (cheap and close)and Mt. Bachelor (expensive but has a shuttle from my town) most often and sometimes at Mt. Hood. I appreciate the advice on ski stiffness; I feel like a lot of online ski reviews such as Outdoorgearlab and InTheSnow are biased towards stiffer skiis. Maybe they assume that only advanced, powerful skiers are interested in buying new gear? I'll see what I can demo at Bachelor next season. I think they have both the black pearls and the yumis in their demo fleet. :smile:

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blizzard Viva 8.0, 80mm, 159 - carving
Rossignol Star 7, 116mm, 162 - powder
DPS Yvette, 112mm, 168 - backcountry (powder)

I would still like to add an all-mountain resort ski & a narrower backcountry ski for spring corn.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Holy moly volkl girl has a lot of volkls ( that was really hard to type- tongue twister for typing

I have Volkl racetiger SL 155. I spent almost the whole season with those. I then got Volkl Flair 81 at 163 and was able to get the last 3 days of the season on those. I loved how well they held on edge. A few days ago I got On3p Jessie 88 at 161 at a good price for lightly used. I wanted a ski to be able to go in the terrain park with and play around like a teenager and not destroy my other skis in the process. You know its pure torture looking at my skis leaning up on the wall knowing its still 4 months before I can use them

mustski

Angel Diva
I added the Volkl 90eights last season. They are replacing my 2012 Auras which still have some life in them, but which need a base grind that will likely be their last. :cry: The Hells Belles are starting to feel a bit noodely so I am shopping for something to replace them. The 90eights are so versatile though that I will probably look at a front side ski - maybe the Secret.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna