• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2018 Volkl Yumi and Black Pearl 88

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I had a chance to do a bit of demoing yesterday while here at Alta. I tried the Volkl Yumi in a 147 and the Black Pearl in the 145.

My stats: 5'1", 105 lbs., low advanced skier

Volkl Yumi

Pros: I really like this ski much better than my current Volkl Yumis without the titanal band. They charge through chopped up stuff much better and feel more solid at speed than my current skis. Excellent energy on the groomers. A little concerned about getting on too stiff of a ski again, but I felt like I could carve them as I do my current skis on a groomer so I'm assuming I'm bending them OK?

Cons: Only real con is they're not nearly as turny as the Black Pearls, but certainly not difficult to turn.

Blizzard Black Pearl 88

Pros: These things are so turny in the bumps. Made me feel like a bumps rock star. Probably a mix of the very short length and the rocker. Very nice bouncy, floaty feel to them. I didn't hate these skis at all like I did the last time I tried them in a 152 a few years back.

Cons: SO slow on traverses, probably because of the length and their softness and width (more effort to get up on edge); I had trouble generating any real sort of speed on flatter traverses, which I can do on the Yumis and my Kastles. Did not care for how they felt on the groomers. There was just really no drive or pop to them.

I'm taking out the Black Pearls in a 152 this morning. I've previously demoed this length and hated it b/c I felt like I couldn't pressure the tips well enough. Going to try again now that I have boots that I can flex better to see if it makes any difference.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the new Black Pearl in 152 about a month ago at Big Sky. @tinymoose , I too hated the previous versions of this ski. The 2018 was really fun. I also demoed the Nordica Astral 84 in a 151 I think. It was nice but not something I wanted to stay on. Also demoed the Dynastar Legend 84 and genuinely enjoyed this ski. It performed a bit better for me than the BP. If I could have used both skis for an entire day or so, there might have been a clear winner. I purchased the Fischer My Mountain 84 in a 150. Used to be called KOA. This ski seems to be a blend of both and I had demoed it last season at Steamboat and thought then about buying it. My intent for this ski is to learn how to manage bumps and chop ; and doing it on a shorter ski. All my other skis are no shorter than 154.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@badger I'd love to hear more about how you like the Fischers.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's so funny, because the new Yumis I feel like are Kenja Jrs., too stiff to actually bend, more like I'm parking and riding on them while they take ME for a ride. The Black Pearls have loads of energy IF I load them up, but they also dial back and cruise easily. I get the same feeling on my Kastle LXs.

So, you just never know, and why it's always wise to demo. And even then, in different snow conditions, ski "X" might not feel the same as you remember.

A very wise man told me yesterday that he looks at the dimensions and specs of a ski, buys it, then adapts to IT, not the other way around. Takes the guess work out, I suppose!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@VickiK I tried the Fischers a week ago on lots of fresh Az snow. They were so fluid through the soft powder. Not a wide ski by any means, but for a shrimp like myself, good enough. Deep powder is a condition I'll avoid if possible. Don't care for it. ( Ski blasphemy right?) . A foot or so is fine.
These skis did well on the icy patches hiding underneath too. Next week I will take them up again. More snow on the way. I'll also bring he Z77s . There will be a new boot on my feet--- softer flex---;I have issues staying forward.
Maybe my next report will offer more information about the Fischers since I am determined to get into a variety of terrain. Unless the slopes are inundated with Spring Breakers. Despite my love of slalom style traffic navigation, the crowds are dangerous!!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A very wise man told me yesterday that he looks at the dimensions and specs of a ski, buys it, then adapts to IT, not the other way around. Takes the guess work out, I suppose!
This is my BF's approach.
Thanks, @badger!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After skiing powder for two days in a row and skiing the Sheevas, I got back out on the Black Pearls today. God I love those skis!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So I had a chance to do a bit of demoing yesterday while here at Alta. I tried the Volkl Yumi in a 147 and the Black Pearl in the 145.

My stats: 5'1", 105 lbs., low advanced skier

Volkl Yumi

Pros: I really like this ski much better than my current Volkl Yumis without the titanal band. They charge through chopped up stuff much better and feel more solid at speed than my current skis. Excellent energy on the groomers. A little concerned about getting on too stiff of a ski again, but I felt like I could carve them as I do my current skis on a groomer so I'm assuming I'm bending them OK?

Cons: Only real con is they're not nearly as turny as the Black Pearls, but certainly not difficult to turn.

Blizzard Black Pearl 88

Pros: These things are so turny in the bumps. Made me feel like a bumps rock star. Probably a mix of the very short length and the rocker. Very nice bouncy, floaty feel to them. I didn't hate these skis at all like I did the last time I tried them in a 152 a few years back.

Cons: SO slow on traverses, probably because of the length and their softness and width (more effort to get up on edge); I had trouble generating any real sort of speed on flatter traverses, which I can do on the Yumis and my Kastles. Did not care for how they felt on the groomers. There was just really no drive or pop to them.

I'm taking out the Black Pearls in a 152 this morning. I've previously demoed this length and hated it b/c I felt like I couldn't pressure the tips well enough. Going to try again now that I have boots that I can flex better to see if it makes any difference.
I'm your stats (ha a bit older!) exactly (5'1 and 103 ish)and want to hear what you think of the 152's in the BP. Normally I like a ski with a bit more oomph (not on old kenjas I have) but like my Sambas and I have to say for lessons in Taos the BP 152 was a great ski. So good I thought maybe I need one.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I wrote in another (or more) thread(s) that I skied the Yumi the other day. And I LOVED it! I'm small (105 lb), advanced skier, and found it turny, responsive, stable, carves well and a lot of fun in a variety of conditions. I had also skied the Temptation 84 and I think I preferred the Yumi - think it's a bit stiffer and I think maybe I like that. I'm considering buying it but would like to try in Tremblant conditions first. Skied on an old BP a few years ago and wasn't all that impressed.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
After skiing powder for two days in a row and skiing the Sheevas, I got back out on the Black Pearls today. God I love those skis!
I was wondering about your Sheevas. What length did you get? Have you tried the BP98 yet?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm your stats (ha a bit older!) exactly (5'1 and 103 ish)and want to hear what you think of the 152's in the BP. Normally I like a ski with a bit more oomph (not on old kenjas I have) but like my Sambas and I have to say for lessons in Taos the BP 152 was a great ski. So good I thought maybe I need one.

Short of it all, I liked them OK on the groomers. Unlike a few years ago, I could pressure the tips just fine. Still didn't like them as well as the Yumi's on the groomers and the extra length felt like a lot more effort to turn when not on edge. Basically, I still think 150 is my max in length. It seems I like my skis short and turny.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
In Taos we skied groomers mostly in ski week with small ish bumps... I'm used to a ski that's not super turny so maybe different experience for me.. have you tried one of the Head Joy series? The great joys in a 153 had a turning radius of 12. Wow very fun last year on those

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was wondering about your Sheevas. What length did you get? Have you tried the BP98 yet?
I got the 164, which at first felt short, but not so much anymore. I did ski the BP 98s about a week ago, and I really liked them, too. As in, I could own a pair. WAY easier to turn than the old Sambas. Much more playful feeling. To be fair, I owned the Sambas in a 166, and skied the BP98 in a 159, which felt great.

I'll also say that after two full days on the Sheevas, I have determined that fat skis are not just hard on the knees. They are also hard on the feet, ankles, back, everything. So happy to be back on my 88s today. Such a nice compromise between fat and strictly-groomer narrow.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In Taos we skied groomers mostly in ski week with small ish bumps... I'm used to a ski that's not super turny so maybe different experience for me.. have you tried one of the Head Joy series? The great joys in a 153 had a turning radius of 12. Wow very fun last year on those

I think I'm an anomaly on here. I don't like skis much above my forehead from experience. 153 would probably feel too long for me regardless of the radius. Radius is only good if you can keep it on edge.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think I'm an anomaly on here. I don't like skis much above my forehead from experience. 153 would probably feel too long for me regardless of the radius. Radius is only good if you can keep it on edge.
Yeah I get it. That's why recommendations are good but maybe will not always work for everyone.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Realized I missed this thread in March. Here's a variation of what I said in the 2015 discussion of Yumi vs BP.

In 2018 I had a chance to demo the Volkl Yumi @147cm, as well as the 2018 BP88 @145cm. I'm about 5'0", 112 lbs, over 60, didn't become a solid advanced skier until after age 50. I bought a 2011 BP @159 (with the bull) for the 2012-13 season and still have them as rock skis for early or late season. When Blizzard re-named the Black Pearl to BP88 to go with BP78 (evolved from Cheyenne) and BP98 (evolved from Samba), there were design changes that were significant.

Bottom line is that the Yumi is the first Volkl that I've ever liked. I did a couple short runs in the Mid-Atlantic on a free demo day. Still wouldn't consider buying the Yumi but learned something trying it out. I bought Head Absolut Joy @148 a few summers ago for $350 (system bindings included but not installed) after demo'ing @153.

I spent two days on the BP88 @145cm at Taos. Included mornings in a group lesson for advanced skiers. Mostly on groomers with good cold snow. Had a very good time. Note that my usual length for all-mountain skis is 159cm, not only the BP but also the Stormrider 85 demo skis I bought last season after demo'ing at Taos.

marzNC

Angel Diva
From the other thread:
Just for sake of discussion, @marzNC , if you were buying the current model BP's today, would you opt for the shorter length?
Given that I've got the Stormriders for general use out west, I think I would get the BP88 @145.

When I bought Head Absolut Joy skis a few years ago, I got 148cm after demo'ing 153cm. I also liked the Total Joy @158. I was looking for skis for Mid-Atlantic and northeast skiing so narrower and shorter made more sense sense. Plus just a bit lighter carrying from the parking lot.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
On that note, has anyone seen sales in the BP88 in a 152? Or Head Wild Joy in a 153? I'm convinced I need a narrower ski in my meek quiver.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna