• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Smilies and iPads

Jenny

Angel Diva
Can you tell me where to look on the iPad so I can get the smilies? I go back to the forum home page when I click in the tab, too. But I don't know enough about this thing yet to know where to look and check the kind of thing you just mentioned above.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jenny, the flash blocker and ad blocker are sub-programs that get integrated into Firefox, the browser I use. I don't know whether Safari blocks such things. I can whitelist sites I trust so that I can see their features.

Wendy can probably tell us whether the smilies are flash or javascript. I'm on a PC at work, and I think the smilies still work on my iMac, but I'll check tonight and let you know if they don't.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Wendy can probably tell us whether the smilies are flash or javascript. I'm on a PC at work, and I think the smilies still work on my iMac, but I'll check tonight and let you know if they don't.

I THINK they're Javascript.

And I don't think the iPads support the smilies. You might just have to type in the code for them, which you can find on the Help page. Go here.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks.

Luckily, I rarely use them. But every once in a while they help everyone know that I'm being funny, not mean and nasty ( at least I hope so!).

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Luckily, I rarely use them. But every once in a while they help everyone know that I'm being funny, not mean and nasty ( at least I hope so!).
:hug: (Yes, smilies work on the iMac)

If you're not seeing smilies, it's got to do with a setting or add-on to your web browser. Assuming the iPad's operating system is the same as the standard Mac one, try this. Open Safari (I assume that's the browser you're using), go to the File menu and choose Preferences. Under the Security tab make sure Enable Java and Enable Javascript are checked in the Web Content section. If they're already checked, then I'm of no help!!

ETA: Under preferences, also open the Extensions tab to see if something's been added on to your browser. Chances are there's nothing, but you never know.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Thanks, I'll take a look when I get home tonight. I know the browser is Safari, but I've never seen a menu at the top so either it's hidden or not there for the iPad.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Mac and the iPad do not use the same operating system (OS). OS X 10.n on a Mac versus iOS 5.n for an iPad. iOS is also the OS for iTouch and iPhone.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You may have it hidden; browser default settings tend to be weird. The settings for which toolbars to display is usually in a dropdown list under the View menu; make sure you have a check by the menu toolbar.

I hope it works, but if you hover your cursor over a smilie, a smilie label will come up. All you have to do to make it work is to put a colon on each side of the word; here's what the code for the :brr: smilie. looks like (I added an extra 'r' so it will show the code instead of the icon).

:brrr:

You can also make italics by putting an 'i' between brackets, bold by putting a b there, etc.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm . . .so :brr: should be the shivery icon and :brrr: should be the code for it, right? And on either side of a word should make it show up in italics or bold depending on whether you put an I or a b in the brackets.

(If this is a total failure, I'm just going to creep off and lick my wounds.)

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well - sort of. I just didn't learn how to turn the italics and bold off again.
And, btw, when I tried to click on the smilies drop down I got the "POOF Syndrome" discussed in another thread. . . . This on an iPad, incidentally.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
are you accessing the forum through the ipad Safari browser, or the app Tapatalk? FWIW I use my ipad a lot, tapatalk and others... and the only place I can do smilies is texting or IM.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That would be Safari on the iPad b/c Tapatalk (which I bought on my iPhone) only opens Community Announcements, Forum Policies, and Deals for Divas on my iPad! AND it doesn't offer anywhere - that I can determine - to write a reply! Given those limitations . . . !
I haven't discovered any way to add smilies from devices, no matter how I access any forum, except the way I did it per lb's instructions, above, and I don't have that many smiley codes in my head.

I guess you should be prepared for a lot of shivery little guys, thus :brr: unless this works :rofl: (It didn't)

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try rotf instead of rofl!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :laugh: I even giggled in glee all by myself!
Just update to the ipad version, I don't think it's any extra. But still no smilies...

I think I did that . . . I think. I had heard that you had to pay for the App separately on the iPad and iPhone and actually had gone to do exactly that when my iPad said, "Wait, you have already paid for this, the Update is free". So, okay, I let it update. But I have this crazy thing. If it isn't going to have smilies anyway, I might as well just use Safari. . . Or my MBPro when I'm up and around.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga