• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have single-use contacts for only one reason . . . for skiing. Distance only since cheap reading glasses work for the few times I need to read more than a menu during a ski day. I usually change back to my variable glasses before driving, unless I'm staying close to the slopes.

CrystalRose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:hug:Glad your ok! When do you plan on getting back on the horse so to speak?

As for the glasses, I recommend Zenni, Walmart, Costco, or Sam's Club. Never used Zenni myself but I would get glasses for around $80 at these other places. Though it depends on the frame, prescription, and lens choice. Also, if you use your contacts check the expiration date, it sounds like they've been on the shelf awhile.

So glad I got Lasik last year! Best decision and worth every penny.

newboots

Angel Diva
@SkiBilly - Thanks for the encouraging words! I'm thinking of getting goggles with the fan. I'm not thrilled with my visor-goggles setup. I think the fit could be improved, and I can't change out lenses, so flat light is another visual challenge. I get all the challenges I need from the steepness of the slope and my still-in-development skill level!

Ugh, our eyes are so important, and so much can go wrong. Corneal dystrophy certainly sounds like a contra-indication for contacts! Hope it all heals up soon.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Crystal Rose - I'll be skiing next weekend, probably on Monday. Good chance to practice ice skills! (we have rain and then I want to emphasize - I wasn't really injured. Just too blind (and probably way too tired) to chance a long trip back to the car, where my sunglasses awaited so I could drive home. Aches and pains, yes, but I would have most of these just from skiing three days in a row.

I found another pair of old glasses, so I will be able to see without risking my expensive ones. I use progressive trifocals, so those are never cheap. I could probably get cheapo distance-only glasses, though. I'm checking it out!

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to hear you’re ok @newboots. Things like this can rattle you more than you think, so start slowly on your next ski day. I’m another fan of daily disposable contact lenses. I really only wear mine for skiing and other outdoor activities so they work out quite inexpensive and I find them really comfortable. Obviously they won’t match trifocal lenses but might be better than cheap distance only glasses.

How was the sled? I only took it once when I was injured, but since then I thought it would be have been fun if I wasn’t!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you are ok! I took The Ride of Shame at Killington two years ago. My young patroller was on a snowboard. Just before we started out, he casually mentioned that this was the first time he had been called to take the sled down to First Aid. Not exactly a comforting thought, but he did very well.

Just wanted to throw out an idea here. Duct Tape. I wrap about 8" of duct tape around my pole just under the grip. Maybe you could have pieced together enough to be able to see. Also works for broken buckles, leaky boots, wonky zippers, etc.

newboots

Angel Diva
How was the sled? I only took it once when I was injured, but since then I thought it would be have been fun if I wasn’t!

It was fun! One, the young patroller was quite handsome. Two, he used Falling Leaf on the less steep, and snowplow on the steeper sections. I've never seen Falling Leaf look so beautiful! (I've only seen it once or twice before, instructor and video.) It's really pretty.

newboots

Angel Diva
Just wanted to throw out an idea here. Duct Tape. I wrap about 8" of duct tape around my pole just under the grip. Maybe you could have pieced together enough to be able to see. Also works for broken buckles, leaky boots, wonky zippers, etc.

I wish! I could only recover pieces of my glasses - missing one lens, for example. I'm amazed I found as much as I did - the pieces I found were about 10' away. Given my vision, I had no hope of finding the lens. The black frame was easier to spot, although I had two false starts that were little twigs. Amusing, crawling around on the snow (not). Thank goodness it was a Tuesday, not a crowded Saturday.

However, the duct tape idea is great, and if I had found more pieces, it would have been a godsend. Sounds like a good plan.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I probably shouldn’t have skied the third day in a row. My legs were tired after putting on
my boots!

Anyway, caught an edge, yard sale with bonus face plant!

I broke my glasses. I crawled around blind (20/600 vision) and found another piece but turns out I’m still missing pieces. Kind people brought me my skis (one above, one below), told me I was bleeding, signaled to my BF, and called patrol. I was going to try to ski down following dear BF, but since we had to complete that trail, take another lift, and ski another trail to get back to the lodge where we were parked, I decided to take the sled ride.

(The blood was a tiny cut where the nose piece of my glasses broke.). Navigating the shuttle busses, base lodges, and ladies room while visually impaired was challenging.

I ache all over and my head hurts a little bit,
not much at all. Oh, and those were my old glasses. So all’s well that ends well.

View attachment 7969
The photo is the handsome young patrol fellow at the end of the ride.

OMG! I just noticed this!! Are you doing better now?

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was fun! One, the young patroller was quite handsome. Two, he used Falling Leaf on the less steep, and snowplow on the steeper sections. I've never seen Falling Leaf look so beautiful! (I've only seen it once or twice before, instructor and video.) It's really pretty.

:becky: Silver linings!

newboots

Angel Diva
OMG! I just noticed this!! Are you doing better now?

Thanks for your concern, Abbi! (And everybody!)

Well, the second day after . . . stiffness was bad this morning, but I gave myself a slow start and some Aleve, as well as a long hot shower, and now I feel almost fine. Just those neck and shoulder muscles got strained. Truly, I was lucky.

Working on some cheap glasses.

RuthB

Angel Diva
It might not be a cheap solution but it might be worth considering getting some high impact sports specific glasses, ie ones with lenses and frames that are designed to minimise potential injury and damage in an accident. There is a goggle thread on pugski that mentioned that you should avoid skiining with glass lens sunglasses and it struck me that this may also be true for prescription glasses even if worn under goggles.

At the very least they might be less prone to breaking.

Hope the body is feeling better.

Jilly

Staff member
Bolle makes a goggle that takes a prescription insert. Others may too. When I didn't where contacts, I had what kind of looked like safety glasses for skiing. So something like RuthB is talking about. Contacts changed that.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Wow! so glad you're ok @newboots - and sorry to hear about your glasses :( I'm blind as a bat, and sweat-prone, so I have always used contacts under my goggles. They're disposables.

I'm glad to hear your ok - and hey, now you can say you've ridden the sled!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga