• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

newboots

Angel Diva
I probably shouldn’t have skied the third day in a row. My legs were tired after putting on
my boots!

Anyway, caught an edge, yard sale with bonus face plant!

I broke my glasses. I crawled around blind (20/600 vision) and found another piece but turns out I’m still missing pieces. Kind people brought me my skis (one above, one below), told me I was bleeding, signaled to my BF, and called patrol. I was going to try to ski down following dear BF, but since we had to complete that trail, take another lift, and ski another trail to get back to the lodge where we were parked, I decided to take the sled ride.

(The blood was a tiny cut where the nose piece of my glasses broke.). Navigating the shuttle busses, base lodges, and ladies room while visually impaired was challenging.

I ache all over and my head hurts a little bit,
not much at all. Oh, and those were my old glasses. So all’s well that ends well.

047D8D6D-51E5-4F30-B61F-A86F1305828D.jpeg
The photo is the handsome young patrol fellow at the end of the ride.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Wow, I’m glad you’re okay! Sorry about your glasses (and I’m making a note to bring my second pair when I head to Okemo and Whitface in two weeks).

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Sounds like that Yard Sale was worth at least a 9.8. Glad you're ok.

And skiing down with limited vision after a fall like that ... bad idea. Better to be safe.

mustski

Angel Diva
As a glasses dependent person, I totally feel your "pain." I carry contacts in my ski jacket pocket just so my ski day doesn't end if I break my glasses!

newboots

Angel Diva
@mustski - good idea! I have some contacts though I quit wearing them. I am considering pulling them out for skiing and see if I can make that work. Sure would be nice to have one less set of lenses to fog up!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oh no!! I hope you don't ache too much tomorrow!! Good idea to take the sled!
feel better!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
As others have said, a big phew that you're okay! And glad the only thing that broke was your glasses!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Yup, broken glasses are pretty minor. I don't wear glasses skiing, but need them if I stop to read anything or use my phone, so I carry a pair in my pocket. They're my old glasses (and I have a still older pair that are still usable in a pinch). So far, no breakage (I shouldn't say anything...)

EAVL

Certified Ski Diva
Glad you are ok! My husband and I both wear glasses but have contacts for skiing/mountain biking. He uses dailies now so he can put them in for that day and then throw them away. I might get some too since I feel like I use a 2 week pair just on weekends basically. My sister likes Zinnia for cheap glasses. She keeps them in her car, her desk in case she loses or damages a contact. She couldn’t see to walk home if that happened!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:eek:
Glad you are okay!!
Glasses, though - ouch. No fun to break/lose.
Lost mine in a fall on mountain in October, slid out on gravel hiking downhill. Recovered and okay, phew.
Not a big deal? Well, mine ran me $727 (:eek::eek:) - so I was happy they were intact.
I wear monovision contacts for skiing (one eye for close-up). Works. Contacts are actually now much cheaper than glasses. Disposable, basically.

Jilly

Staff member
Yup contacts for skiing and cheaters for reading maps, phones, labels at the restaurants...

I wore contacts for years, but the distance vision is so bad, I need the readers all the time. So I went back to glasses for everything but sports!

newboots

Angel Diva
Thank you all for your well wishes! I was so lucky. And those glasses were 5 years old!

Yes, since I've needed reading glasses, contacts have been a struggle that I just gave up on. I have some in the medicine cabinet, though, so I'll pull them out and try a pair. The way they manage the huge difference between my nearsightedness and reading magnifiers is to compromise - so I don't have full acuity with the contacts and have trouble reading!

(I asked the optometrist: "You send people out to drive in these?" I like to be able to read signs before I'm at the turn, you know, stuff like that.)

Aches and pains update: I have a couple of new bruises, but I bruise easily, so this is not really news.

My neck hurts in every direction, similar to (but not anywhere near as bad) whiplash I had once in a car accident. Maybe "hurts" is too strong a word. Stiff.

Good judgment update: I had to ski from Killington Base Lodge to Snowshed Lodge (a short, nearly flat distance) to catch the shuttle bus to Bear Mountain Lodge. I followed BF. They build rolls into that trail to keep you going on the flats, which was exciting because I could barely see them in time. Then I skied onto a berm meant for some MTB activity, and caught air for a moment. Never saw that coming! No falls on that short trip, but it made me really glad I took the sled ride.

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh no, @newboots. That's a bit of a bummer all round. I hope your whiplash is improving...will you ice it first for 24 hrs then apply heat?
I always bring along 2 spare glasses as I wear rather fragile frameless ones. They still cope quite well under my goggles (which has a fan to stop fogging...the best invention yay!).
My hubby has multifocal contact lens so he can see near and distance without issue. He swears by them though they are much more expensive than single lens. I just got a hybrid pair (hard with a soft outer edge) to correct my astigmatism...but I haven't been able to wear them as I'm having lots of symptoms from my corneal dystrophy at the moment after having a bout of allergic conjunctivitis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna