• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski slang.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gangster pants. Big baggy trendy... yeah.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sometimes. Yeah. Mine fit perfectly though.

akjen

Certified Ski Diva
Here's one of my favorites - "Flat Light". IIt's also a cool description for conditions that the slang was meant to describe - conditions where the sun light or lack there of makes it difficult to see contours of the snow surface.

Which requires "skiing by braille"

Jen

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Re: "flat light," everyone's favorite :rolleyes: -- there's a mid-winter phenomenon at my resort, Sugarloaf, that's (non) affectionately referred to as "blue light." Which, basically, is flat light, see you one, raise you two.

The mountain is clearly a "cone" with a ridge to the west. At winter solstice, and for at least a month beyond, the sun never crests the mountain or ridge in the afternoon. So starting at about 1-1:30 p.m., the entire mountain goes blue-dark. If it were lit for night skiing, it would be dark enough for lights to go on! :eek:

Talk about skiing by braille! At least there is some daylight when there's flat light! Not in this case. Wow.

By mid-Feb, the sun is again high enough to crest the ridge. And by early March, it has crested the summit, so it's sunny again everywhere.

But in December and January.....the locals call out "blue light special." Very strange phenomenon. The mountain virtually empties. Will have to take a pic of it this winter.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm using all sorts of wonderful new phrases.

Huck a Cliff
WROD
Shred the Gnar (I don't even know what that means! Or how to pronouce it so I don't sound like an uptight English woman trying to sound hip).

Send me more!

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
GAPER

Ok ladies...I'm in Aspen and well, gaper is simply a necessary term.

They're everywhere - and it comes from (like said previously) people who stand in something or someone's way (streets, trails, wherever) staring, mouth ajar, with blank and clueless looks on their faces.

Gaper = one who gapes.

Definitions of gape on the Web:

goggle: look with amazement; look stupidly
an expression of openmouthed astonishment
be wide open; "the deep gaping canyon"
a stare of amazement (usually with the mouth open)
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

See...it's totally legit!!!:becky:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been a long time...

since last winter and I forget some of our "host" terms......

Slang terms that come to mind.....

Face shots

Freshies

Stashes (post-pow day caches of untracked soft stuff)

Skanky (odoriferous boarder or host coat about March 15)

Pow pow or poodlay a.k.a. "sick day"

Snake a run (sneak away from duties)

FOG (fat/f*&@# old guy/girl)

BB a.k.a. Boarder Brat

:laughter::laughter::laughter:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like to practise "slope ignortion"

eh? I'm looking forward to the meaning of that one!

And re Gaper, I've heard it all over, not on ski slopes, meaning an outsider, or as previously mentioned, one who gapes looking at new things such as tall buildings, the beach (due to being an outsider)

my all-time favorite (I think it's slang) is:

WIPE OUT

TUSSC

Certified Ski Diva
How about:

Hardpack - the type of snow we ski on the east coast ski - slightly better than "sheet of ice", but certainly not a groomer

Knuckle draggers - a.k.a snowboarders

Pit stop - restroom break

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
my all-time favorite (I think it's slang) is:

WIPE OUT

Affectionately borrowed/stolen from surfing!
How about:
YARD SALE?
Seems very "mountain-sport-specific!" :smile:

TUSSC

Certified Ski Diva
Thought of another one - "Going to the dark side" - giving up skiing in favor of snowboarding.

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ignortion is apt on at least two different types of skiing.
Don't like moguls -ignore em thats active ignortion
afraid to drop off a cornice or the run is just tooooooo darn steep, practise slope ignortion
but you still have to do it. :smile:
how about spindrift?
the visible snow blowing off the tops of the mts

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thought of another one - "Going to the dark side" - giving up skiing in favor of snowboarding.

My tele friend informed me this weekend that "going to the darkside" also refers to a telemarker giving in and buying AT gear. I told him he could call me Darth fuggin' Vader. :cool:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just read a good one in the "worst ski day" thread, as submitted by Greeley...

bone bag

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like:
Groomer Zoomers
Ice Skates
Powder Pigs
Taking the Red Line (taking chances and riding the fast line closest to the gates while racing)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna