• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski slang.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you skied Gnarnia? To get the full effect you have to be on a lift with Xover yelling about how "freaking sick" "gnarnia" is going to be. That boy needs to try decaf. ;)
Is Gnarnia on the other side of the wardrobe, where he keeps his vintage fartbag?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Fartbag, another slang!!!!

lisaski

Certified Ski Diva
Here's one of my favorites - "Flat Light". I was an active member of a ski club and helped with the newsletter by writing about ski adventures in a column that I named "Flat Light". I thought it was a cool name for a column. It's also a cool description for conditions that the slang was meant to describe - conditions where the sun light or lack there of makes it difficult to see contours of the snow surface.

marta

Angel Diva
Around here we find that most idiots are from the city. Ergo "citiots"
also known as "spores" - spastic people on rental equipment.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you skied Gnarnia? To get the full effect you have to be on a lift with Xover yelling about how "freaking sick" "gnarnia" is going to be. That boy needs to try decaf. ;)

Totally - the king of ski slang. I've only toured with him, but he's just as full of $%#! in the backcountry. :eyebrows:

I love Xover...it's not often you can hang out with a guy all day and not have to say a word. I've never seen anybody house a donut as fast as him either. Have you even been with him and Trackhead together? It's a critical mass of $hit-talking and ego-mania. A beautiful thing.

altagirl

Staff member
Totally - the king of ski slang. I've only toured with him, but he's just as full of $%#! in the backcountry. :eyebrows:

I love Xover...it's not often you can hang out with a guy all day and not have to say a word. I've never seen anybody house a donut as fast as him either. Have you even been with him and Trackhead together? It's a critical mass of $hit-talking and ego-mania. A beautiful thing.

Yep - and you never have trouble finding him on the mountain - you can hear that cackle a mile away.

And I've definitely never seen anyone in amazing physical condition who eats nothing but sugar and caffiene. I don't know what he eats touring, but his lunch in the resort is usually a Rockstar energy drink, a Snickers, a donut, a PB&J and a second candy bar for dessert. I would die from sugar shock.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep - and you never have trouble finding him on the mountain - you can hear that cackle a mile away.

And I've definitely never seen anyone in amazing physical condition who eats nothing but sugar and caffiene. I don't know what he eats touring, but his lunch in the resort is usually a Rockstar energy drink, a Snickers, a donut, a PB&J and a second candy bar for dessert. I would die from sugar shock.

Um.....sounds about right. He housed two apple fritters in three breaths when we stopped to eat. I think I saw a candy bar and Rockstar make an appearance later in the day.

Yeah, wouldn't you kill to be able to have a body like that (not to mention run, tour, and ski like that) and eat garbage and drink a lot of beer? I've got the eating and drinking beer part down, now I just need to figure out the body and fitness part....:D

altagirl

Staff member
Um.....sounds about right. He housed two apple fritters in three breaths when we stopped to eat. I think I saw a candy bar and Rockstar make an appearance later in the day.

Yeah, wouldn't you kill to be able to have a body like that (not to mention run, tour, and ski like that) and eat garbage and drink a lot of beer? I've got the eating and drinking beer part down, now I just need to figure out the body and fitness part....:D

That or I want the Brad Stewart diet. We were out at O'Shucks a few weeks ago and he was complaining that his trainer told him he needs to gain as much weight as possible for skeleton and his official diet plan is to eat as much as he can. And he said he hates it. There's nothing he wants to eat.

Trust me, there wasn't much sympathy. Gee, to make the olympic team I need to eat more, and I'm free to eat all the french fries and junk food and beer I can shove down my throat. Yeah, that must be rough. Boo-hoo.

There were a lot of us offering to eat for him if we could donate the weight later though.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sure Kimber loved that conversation. Her and I were discussing the "master's degree fitness plan". Sit on your butt, stress out, and gain a bunch of weight. Right on. I don't know how T got through her master's staying so skinny.

Sorry guys - AG and I don't see each other much! Enough thread-stealing...back to the ski slang!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump: Recent references to the "white ribbon of death" reminded me of this thread.

Anyone have anything to add?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Fun verb/gerund/noun = Huck

schudz

Diva in Training
So it's not exactly ski slang but I think it fits in this thread. . . but a great sticker a friend saw last year "Does my butt make these skis look fat?"

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mostly say it as a joke, but I love "shred the gnar."
Ugh, I have a negative connotation with that one. Former nasty roommate who couldn't ride either skis or a snowboard would constantly talk about how she was going to shred the gnar. Yet she refused to really try to learn how.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Steep and deep. Mmmmhm. And my favorite of recent, "g-pants". Went into Skjersaas (local trendy ski shop) the other day, for their 07-08 blowout sale, and scored a pair of Nikita pants for $50 bucks, but not before I was asked if I 'REALLY wanted a pair of g-pants' by one of my girlfriends. =P

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna