• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski slang.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Our area management frowns on it, so we try to refrain from reffering to the terrian park as the "trauma park". Sometimes thats what it seems like because of the carnage to be found there on friday and saturday nights. Mostly do to the unskilled riders and twin tippers that decide to "go for it"!

skihub

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Being 'totally stoked' about a great run. I get a kick out of that term but I haven't had the guts to say it myself!

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't approve of it, but at Sugarloaf a substitue for gaper was "Joey". Used by my son and his friend to describe skiers from away yelling across the slope at each other "Hey Joooeeeeyyyyy"

I did try to discourage it as not being nice. And told him he should feel very lucky that he could ski every weekend and was sooooooooooo much cooler :rolleyes: than those kids who were just up for the weekend in their Patriots jackets. It didn't really sink in when he was 12 but now that he's grown I think he gets how lucky he was! And thank heavens he survived the middle school years when looking good and being cool was the most important thing!

One that I do like and use is "death wedge" Used to refer to a really really wide snowplow that you get into when just learning, and you're too scared to make a turn. Generally involves moving straight down the hill in a wedge that is so big you can't move your legs any other way.

outdoor divas

Certified Ski Diva
I love "punter" it is a Kiwi term for toursit. And of course "Vadeling" (sp?) as in turning. Or getting "off piste" non-groomed terrain.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love "punter" it is a Kiwi term for toursit. And of course "Vadeling" (sp?) as in turning. Or getting "off piste" non-groomed terrain.
Wedeln. Austrian term for short swing type turns. I think it was also a WAY of skiing that is definitely "old school" these days -- feet together, etc. See https://www.thefreedictionary.com/wedeln

I couldn't find a way to delete any of my posts, sorry for the double posting.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Wedeln is actually German, verb, meaning "wag." Describes a skiing style that lasted probably through the 70's, where short swing tail-pushing (otherwise known as the "windshield wiper turns") was popular.

Short video shows evolution of skiing style, with emphasis on teaching the new style:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2606Ewr5GaM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2606Ewr5GaM[/ame]

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Powerhound - shout it out just as the grin spreads across your face when you are in the freshies.

Quickly change to Powder Puppy, when you yelp because it's more than you can handle just yet.

Railing it/them
Crud
Bubble (for small gondolas)
Liftie

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking over this thread again. The "Brad Stewart Diet" made me chuckle. I know Brad, and he definitely needed to put some meat on those bones at the time! It worked - he's touring Europe right now on the team. And, Kimber - hers worked, too - she's on the World Cup tour.

My favorite phrases/words have turned to:
"shredding the gnar" - I just have to laugh everytime I hear that one!
parkrat - the kids who just lap the terrain park all day.
gaper gap - that space you aren't supposed to have between your goggles and your helmet.

altagirl

Staff member
I was looking over this thread again. The "Brad Stewart Diet" made me chuckle. I know Brad, and he definitely needed to put some meat on those bones at the time! It worked - he's touring Europe right now on the team. And, Kimber - hers worked, too - she's on the World Cup tour.

My favorite phrases/words have turned to:
"shredding the gnar" - I just have to laugh everytime I hear that one!
parkrat - the kids who just lap the terrain park all day.
gaper gap - that space you aren't supposed to have between your goggles and your helmet.

Hehe - yeah, he's not really on that diet anymore, but both of them are doing great!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I heard a new one over the weekend. Pointing at an icy spot, my German friend said in his deep, booming voice, "Achtung auf die Elefantpisse!" (Watch out for the elephant p...)

You know those areas where the melt/water runs down, collects, and freezes into a small boilerplate pond at the edge of the run? Frozen Elefantpisse. When water runs out of the cliffs and freezes into light brown icicles? Elefantpisse!

Gotta love the Germans.

skipink

Certified Ski Diva
What we in the southeast see a lot of, especially over holidays -Floridiots.

mtngirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like point it...

and Bluebird. My brother txted me last night.. it might be bluebird next weekend.. thats a good txt to get. :smile:

I dont like "gaper" if it is used to describe a noob, just trying to learn, but I think it is more intended for idiots, or people who try to be more than they really are...

Most people who do stupid things on the ski slope, and everywhere really, usually don't do them intending to be inconsiderate, dangerous or rude, they just don't understand..

It doesnt make it less irritating though...

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skigasm!!!!:yahoo:

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How about 'death cookies'?

What are death cookies? Well here in the east, where the slopes can get icy . . . and after the grooming machines try to break-up the icy spots . . . there are little hard rocks of ice all across the trail that are affectionately known as death cookies.

We just call them potatoes. I hate skiing potatoes...

bluebird

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snorkel skiing- this is when one is so deep in powder that you are choking on it and need a snorkel..experienced this on Oley lady bowl in Squaw Valley, Ca.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
ignortion is apt on at least two different types of skiing.
Don't like moguls -ignore em thats active ignortion
afraid to drop off a cornice or the run is just tooooooo darn steep, practise slope ignortion
but you still have to do it. :smile:
how about spindrift?
the visible snow blowing off the tops of the mts

Spindrift is a "real" word, not slang.

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Brit ski speak

Some of this is slang, some of it may just be the UK/French/European version..

Piste basher...what we call the piste groomer. Also means that for "groomed" the alternative is "bashed"..."Has it been bashed this morning?" My beloved and I also like to talk of "freshly laundered" slopes.

"Pisteurs"-piste patrol (not that they patrol much-usually seen by lift with ciggie in corner of mouth).

"Schuss"-going very fast in straight line.

Skiing in the "toilet seat position"...those beginners, and some so called better skiers, who ski with their bums sticking out.

"Chalet girl"-usually reasonably posh girl under 23 who runs your ski chalet. Culinary skills variable, depending on which tour operator you are traveling with. Usually possessed of ability to party all night, ski all day, clean chalet, produce 3 course evening meal for 10, and "cop off" with hunk in your ski party. Also comes in male version.

"Vin Chaud"-mulled wine. N.B. Please pronounce with French accent to be understood ("Van show"). However, since my aussie fellow ski hosts 5 years ago pronounced it as they read it in english, I am oft heard to speak of "Vin Chawd".

"Chateau Cardboard"-what your chalet hosts call the day to day plonk that comes in a wine box, and is decanted into a jug and served with your dinner on mid range chalet holiday. (Don't knock it...the supply is limitless!!)

"Ben ze knees"...classic crap instruction from an instructor who speaks limited english.

Please shoot me if I ever ever say I am going to "ride the pow"... Skiing off piste is so much more grown up!
.....Just wish we had some fresh snow at the mo...europe is dire:(-my instructor yesterday said he hadn't seen it this lean in January for 15 years....)...and the forecast doesn't hold out much hope for the next week..booooooo!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Come on, Perty! It's not as bad as 2007, but not great either, I agree. At least the cold is back before everything melted.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Errr.. most of the ones I know have been mentioned.

By the way, as I understand it, in Europe 'gaper' is pronounced 'gapper'. It's meant to describe the gap between goggles and hat and usually refers to clueless idiots.

Another one is 'crapper's crouch' - the aforementioned toilet position.

Also KSBs - knobby snowboarders (apologies to any resident snowboarders!)

Oh, and we've had vin chaud mentioned above - but we also say glüwein a lot as well - the Austrian/German version. Very nice.

Finally, the cheap French plonk you get with dinner is oft known as 'Chateau de Sh*t' hehe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly