• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Boots for Woman with Large Calves

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just know that one on Sierra is a beginner's boot with a flex of about 55. Even up to the Aspire 70 (there is the 50, 60 and 70 models), it's only an intermediate boot and but there are deals to be found definitely on these boot right now for larger calve/foot women if they suit your ski/ability level. Unfortunately, none of them work for me.

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're absolutely right, RM, and they're a bit too flexy for me, even at low intermediate level, but at the same time I'm thrilled to get into them. For next year I will be trying out some of the other suggestions noted above, or any new suggestions people might have, with specific models, if possible.

Dirka

Certified Ski Diva
I have a similar problem which I like to refer to as "athletic calves". I tried on numerous types of boots but the moment i tried my boots on I fell in love. So comfy and wonderful, no numbness or pinching. Just a snug glove fit. I highly highly recommend the Head Dream 12.5!:love: They are so beautiful I love them.

Dusty

Diva in Training
... If you have giant calves and are renting gear, you should buy your own boots even before you buy your own skis -- they make a HUGE difference vs. rental boots.

Did you have any trouble renting skis when you had your own boots? I was thinking about doing that, but when I called the ski shop they said they would try to make my boots work but they didn't know if they would be able to.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to bring up - there are an awful lot of Diva's on this thread who think they have "unusually" large calves (me too!)...I suspect that we are not so "unusual", what's unusual is manufacturers making shoes/boots that actually fit women (many are still thinking in terms of modified men's boot lasts to make women's boots...obviously isn't working)

I've had my best luck with fit going with Dalbello boot - but find there is a huge amount of difference in fit between styles...the Aspire did not fit as well as their 3-piece shell designs (called Cabrio shell) for me...that said, I've been told that it really doesn't fit me properly, only that the 3-piece design allows the cuff to distort to fit my calf...whatever - I can actually ski in these!

(btw - my old Rayas did pack out an amazing amount - and rather quickly...my new Krypton Storms - even without the heat-moldable liner - are obviously a different story)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you have any trouble renting skis when you had your own boots? I was thinking about doing that, but when I called the ski shop they said they would try to make my boots work but they didn't know if they would be able to.
You shouldn't have any problem renting skis with your own boots. If the shop is telling you might I'd choose a different shop. The only time I've seen any question was with someone who's boots were AT and it confused the big box shop but that's it.

rangergrrl

Certified Ski Diva
Large calve revolution!

I have to bring up - there are an awful lot of Diva's on this thread who think they have "unusually" large calves (me too!)...I suspect that we are not so "unusual", what's unusual is manufacturers making shoes/boots that actually fit women (many are still thinking in terms of modified men's boot lasts to make women's boots...obviously isn't working)

QUOTE]

The above statement is sooo true! Many of you have read my chronicles of horiffic ski boot experiences due to my large calves and small foot. I think if manufacturers were REALLY listening they would realize that there is a LARGE segment of the market in the same predicament. Just because a boot closes does not mean it fits! In fact with my small size 23 foot the boot wouldn't close usually and if it did, when flexed would distort horribly. Added to that the large calve muscles push women forward into an unnatural forward stance. I now have boots that fit as they should due to hours and hours of work and modification from a dedicated bootfitter. My boots were repeatedly heated up to stretch the plastic to fit my calves and each time I had to stick my aching leg into a hot boot and flex. The lining was stripped of inches of padding, the boot was put into a more upright stance to combat the calves pushing into a forward stance. After all this I ski in relative comfort compared to what I was skiing in but...if women's boots were designed for the average woman we wouldn't have to go through weeks and weeks of a fitting process.

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I hope someone from the ski boot industry is listening in!:attention: Glad you found something that worked!

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I think you're on to something here, I always thought it was "me" having fat calves, but I've spoken to slim ski friends and a lot of them have the same problems too. Maybe skiiers are just naturally more muscly in the leg than your average woman, I don't know.

kimmarc

Diva in Training
socks

Hi,
Does anyone have any recommendations for sock for wide calves?
I've been cutting the tops off of mine but then they start to roll.
Thanks
:smile:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to use the thin Thorlos and they weren't too bad. I use the Lorpens now, but they are snugger, so they might not be wide enough. I have wide calves, but these are merino wool and depending on the exact size of your calves, they might or might not fit you since they don't stretch as well as the thin Thorlos did.

MLR

Diva in Training
I just went skiing for the first time last weekend - and LOVED every minute of it- except for the boots. I ended up in Men's size 11 boots, on my toes, just to get the latch to catch - not even snap shut. It became so amazingly uncomfortable that I couldn't even move my leg, not to mention the latch kept coming undone so it wasn't very safe. I have since measured my legs - and my right is 18.5 inches and my left is 17.25 inches - which causes a LOT of problems trying to find boots! Does anyone have any suggestions as to which boots would be able to fit my legs?!

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I will share that I have short legs and long big calves. I also have wide feet. My build from knee down is muchl iek a man. Thus I wear all mens regular shoes. none are wide enough in womens. So when I bought my ski boots, I was leaning towards a mens boot. The guy I work with chose a mans head boot for me. There was one area of my right calve that it pinched but he was able to cut out a part of the tongue edge and bingo I love my boot fits great and wide enough for my feet and calves.

so look to a mens boot.

HopefulBeginner

Diva in Training
Help :(

I went skiing this last weekend for the first time in .... well.... a LOT of years! Despite the fact that the rental boots were like torture chambers to me, I had a great time. We are planning another trip and I just cannot go through the horrible boot things again (twice I had to stop on the slope and take my boot off because my entire foot went to sleep.

So, I went and tried on boots only to discover that I have unusually large calves.... WHO KNEW? ??? One store measured my foot out to a 26.5 and the other store measured me to a 25.5. Both felt tight which made me really nervous because I have high arches and my feet were in searing pain in the rentals.

I found this thread and read all the posts and started looking online for boots that will accommodate my wider front foot, narrow ankle and apparently gargantuan calves. I was about to settle on the Atomic B50's until I read reviews about the sizing. Then I got COMPLETELY confused... sigh.... I normally wear a 9 shoe and thought the 26.5 should work, but then reading comments here about women who normally wear 9's buying boots that are sized 23-4?? I was like, WHOA, am I missing something here??

I'm so confused and frustrated. Can someone please recommend a (currently available) boot that is works for a wide foot, wide calf, and that is reasonable enough for a beginner, who wears a size 9 shoe?

And before you say you should see a boot expert in a local store, let's just say the young man who "helped" me yesterday is lucky I walked away without losing it. Seriously!

I appreciate the help. :help:

altagirl

Staff member
So, I went and tried on boots only to discover that I have unusually large calves.... WHO KNEW? ??? One store measured my foot out to a 26.5 and the other store measured me to a 25.5. Both felt tight which made me really nervous because I have high arches and my feet were in searing pain in the rentals.

I found this thread and read all the posts and started looking online for boots that will accommodate my wider front foot, narrow ankle and apparently gargantuan calves. I was about to settle on the Atomic B50's until I read reviews about the sizing. Then I got COMPLETELY confused... sigh.... I normally wear a 9 shoe and thought the 26.5 should work, but then reading comments here about women who normally wear 9's buying boots that are sized 23-4?? I was like, WHOA, am I missing something here??

Well, I wear a size 10, and my ski boots are a 26/26.5. Keep in mind that it's really hard to judge this online because not everyone fits their street shoes the same, and I own street shoes everywhere from size 9.5 (well, those are mostly strappy sandals that I can get away with it) to size 11. So for starters, you would need to base that size comparison on something that you wear as a tight shoe, not something you could possibly wear with thick wool socks, for example. And who knows what other people are basing their street shoe size on... I mean, I can go to Nordstrom Rack and try on 50 pairs of size 10 shoes and am lucky if a handful of them actually fit. It's like trying on jeans.

Also keep in mind that when you buy boots, you will want to get the liners heat molded to your feet, and they should feel totally snug around your entire foot and ankle. The only wiggle room, should be for your toes to go up and down, but you will want them touching the end of the boot. So you want them to feel tight without cutting off the circulation or hurting in hot spots. If you just have a couple odd spots - like say a bunion on the edge of your toe - it's best to see if they can blow that out to create space for it rather than buying a larger boot where your foot can shift around. (Which means the ideal boot for you might be very painful out of the box!) And with your high arches, you need to make sure the top of the boot isn't cutting off blood flow through the arteries and veins on the top of your foot. That part is more about selecting the right boot.

I hate to say it, but this is why it takes trying them on and it's best done with the assistance of someone who knows what they are doing with boot fitting. Buying boots based off of reviews, recommendations of anyone other than a master bootfitter who has looked at your feet in person... it's a recipe for pain.

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
just about every ski shop these days says they fit boots, but few actually do in the way people here mean it (many just sell you something you can stand then heat-stretch the liner)...

...also, you probably don't have gargantuan calves - alot of women's ski boots really aren't built to fit women's feet (& calves!)...newer models are getting better as far as fit goes, so make sure the boots they're having you try on are up-to-date & not some old models they have lying around & are willing to sell cheap...(not all newer models are better, but many of them are!)

...you don't mention where you're from - if you let people here know where it is you are looking for boots, maybe they can suggest shops in that area that may be more helpful...?

Like Alta-girl said, they should be quite snug starting out or they will pack-out to be too big in no time...

...btw, I've had good luck with Dalbello's women's boots for wide calves

callmijane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have big fat calves too. I tried on every boot that Ski and Golf, Christy, Sports Authority, and Mountain Sports had... :-( Finally fit me into a pair of Salomans. I've put 11 days in so far in them and love them to pieces- The only problem is that they are a low flex so my DBF says I will probably outski them by next season. They are Saloman Irony Breeze- 150$ at Sports Authority.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so confused and frustrated. Can someone please recommend a (currently available) boot that is works for a wide foot, wide calf, and that is reasonable enough for a beginner, who wears a size 9 shoe?

And before you say you should see a boot expert in a local store, let's just say the young man who "helped" me yesterday is lucky I walked away without losing it. Seriously!

I appreciate the help. :help:

I have a wide foot and a wide calf. I cannot recommend a boot for you. Boot fit is incredibly personal, and unfortunately we as skiers often don't have the expertise to identify what will actually work for us after the boot has packed out and all is said and done.

You're clearly upset about the way you were treated at the local store. What happened? Maybe based on that, we can help guide you to a better fitter ...

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I agree. First tell us approximately where you live and BETTER YET, where you ski. After all, it's only after you ski them that you'll really know what needs to be done. Around day 10 they should feel perfect. Any sooner, they're probably too big. If you are getting fitted near the ski area, you can probably take the boots in and tell them it hurts HERE and get it fixed so you're back on the slopes trying that change out the next day.

I have a calf problem. I have Head boots which are now a discontinued model. They are probably "too soft" but you don't want them that stiff if you go off groomed or lie moguls (I personally hate moguls). I preferred to get the softer boot that felt like the closest fit BEFORE customization than rely totally on the bootfitter. I found my biggest issue was too wide a heel on the boots that were wide enough for my calf.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga