• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Boots for Woman with Large Calves

denalillb

Diva in Training
:snow: Question:

I have large calves (16-17inches) and have had problems finding comfortable boots ever since I started skiing over 25yrs ago.

I live in Alaska and ski at cold temperatures (-20F to 25F) and my boots never seem to "warm" up so I end up with numb toes because my boots almost act like a tourniquet. I'm often so distracted by pain and cold feet that I don't enjoy myself.

I have a pair of Tecnicas that are over 6yrs old that have been the most comfortable boots I've ever owned, but they still take too much time to get stretched out. I would like to get a new pair of boots this year but would appreciate some suggestions on what brands carry boots that accommodate large calves.

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like my problem. I ended up using my tecnicas for 15 years, until I replaced them this year. This time I went for Lange Freeride. Only used them on one trip, so can't tell you how fast they will get stretched out. The reason I went for this boot, is that I have been looking for new ones for years, and these were the only ones I managed to put on.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my legs were at their largest I found comfort in Head women's feet which truely did seem to be designed for wider feet & calves. I've read reviews since which have said "who on earth are Head designing for?"- well, imo, larger calves!

Jilly

Staff member
Take a look at Atomic or Salomon. The cuff is lower and adjustable. Also the foot bed is prewired for a heater in most Atomics and the Instinct models of Salomon.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know that feeling

I have narrow feet and calves like popeyes arms. I skied for years in mens boots, where I could actually take the boot off without unbuckling it. I ended up in the hospital with a blood clot in my ankle as a result of these poor fitting boots. I then went and bought a pair of Nordicas, famed to be the best fitting boots at the time for narrow feet. Holy gazookas, those things cut the circulation of at the calves on the chairlift on my way up the hill the first and only time I ever wore them. It was my worst experience on skis EVER. I ended up snowboarding for 10 years after that and when I came back to skiing it seemed that the companies had a much better idea that women whom skied, had calf muscles. So needless to say, they have gotten alot better. There are still some out there that are significantly tighter on me, if it feels tight at the store, run don't walk away. I currently have a pair of Salomons, they fit both my narrow foot as well as my not so narrow calf so well, as old as they are, I refuse to part with them. I would still stay away from Nordica and Lange seems to squeeze too. ( Not bad boots, but not appropriate for this situation ).

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
another thing

I have also found that it is helpful to be wary of where the cuff actually sits on the calve muscle. I find that the problem is much worse when the cuff hits the lower part of the more bulbous part of the muscle. ( The best laymans terms I can come up with ) Than if it sits slightly above this or below.

Jilly

Staff member
Some boots (I'm thinking Rossi and Atomic) actually have a cut away for the shape of a women's calf at the top of the cuff. You might find those good.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been wearing Salomon XWave 9s for 3 years, and they fit my large calves pretty well. They come up to just under the calf muscle. Before these boots, I had the Technica Icons, which were also comfortable.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Other options

From another woman with very large and low calves - look into getting a heel lift put between your footbed and liner. This will help to get your calf up out of the cuff and will also snug up any loose ankle/heel issues as well.

A great bootfitter may also be able to notch or slit the back of the upper cuff on a boot that otherwise fits perfectly.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When my legs were at their largest I found comfort in Head women's feet which truely did seem to be designed for wider feet & calves. I've read reviews since which have said "who on earth are Head designing for?"- well, imo, larger calves!
Ditto on the Heads. I have the same issue, picked up some Head 8.8L's last year. I think the flex index is really too soft for me, but they were the only boots that came even close to fitting me. I have large calves, but small heels.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got little heels and generous calves, too, and found the Heads to be ideal. I've got their down-a-notch-from-their-race-boot model (can't remember the name) with an adjustable flex, which I absolutely love.

As for the cold toes, the proper boot fit is essential, but have you ever tried Boot Gloves? I occasionally wear them, and on the windy super cold days I put toe warmers between the boot and the Glove, an idea from a pro buddy of mine. Works well.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that Heads would be a great boot to look into as well. Also, the Dalbello Electra is sized for a more generous fit, as they say in the ski reviews. I have the opposite problem--have little skinny calves and ankles---it is hard for me to find a fit as well. I ended up =with the Dalbello Kryzma this year.

I also think that Dolomite has a split tongue in their boots that supposed supports either large or small calves. But, I will say it again, find a good bootfitter and ask him for a recommendation!!! Also, take out the hard part --the spoiler on the back of the boot for more comfort.

Boots really only last about 150 days---so, an older boot is packed out for sure. Also, there have been lots of advances in plastics in the last few years---my new boots are way more comfortable and easy to flex than my old ones. I ski about 140 days per year, so I do get new boots every season. I can feel the difference from the beginning to the end of the season.

Get new boots, your feet will feel great and I bet your skiing will improve!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boots really only last about 150 days---so, an older boot is packed out for sure. Also, there have been lots of advances in plastics in the last few years---my new boots are way more comfortable and easy to flex than my old ones. I ski about 140 days per year, so I do get new boots every season. I can feel the difference from the beginning to the end of the season.

I've skied boots for 399 days and been perfectly happy with them, just kept adding more insoles as they packed out. The only reason I replaced the last pair was I was worried about plastic fatigue, as I know two people whose boots cracked right in half while they were skiing!!! One around the ankle, complete crack around the whole boot -- that was my husband. The result was a dislocated shoulder. The other a friend of mine, his boot cracked completely around the arch. Fortunately he was just getting off the lift when it happened. I realized last season that the number of days and the number of years was getting up there and I better start thinking about a replacement set. I've held onto the old ones because I think the new ones, although more comfortable, are not really stiff enough.

macca

Diva in Training
Hi Ladies,

I am going skiing for the 1st time in January and after reading this thread I am starting to think that I should buy my own boots instead of using hire ones. Like most of you, I have larger than average calf muscles (16-17") and the thought of having to wear unisex boots that are approx 4 times bigger than my normal shoe size is not very appealing. My other half has contacted the boot fitter that he uses and he has confirmed that the hire boots would probably be an awful fit and would recommend that I get my own. So it looks like it will be a trip to the ski shop for me but I must admit, I am still a little bit nervous about finding a boot to fit because I recently tried my partners new Salomons on and they wouldnt do up and they were a Size 9.

Do you think I am worrying unecessarily??

Thanks, Anita

Jilly

Staff member
Ladies boots are very different from men's. Talk to the bootfitter yourself. (Leave the man out of the conversation till the end, he'll only confuse you and the bootfitter!) The pro will look at your feet and calves without socks and determine which boot style will be good for you. He will also ask about your skiing ability. Tell him straight out that you haven't skied yet, but will be taking lessons etc.
Good luck and you will be hooked on this sport!!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ladies boots are very different from men's.

Anita - this is key. In recent years, manufacturers have realized that women's calves tend to be lower then men's (among other general foot/lower leg differences) and have shaped boots to accommodate for this. There's little need at this stage to worry about the difficulty you are having in putting on the men's/unisex boot; keep in mind, also, that even manufacturers/brands among unisex boots fit differently, so while the boot fits your partner, it may be the most uncomfortable thing on the planet for another guy. So, no worries!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that Heads would be a great boot to look into as well. Also, the Dalbello Electra is sized for a more generous fit, as they say in the ski reviews. I have the opposite problem--have little skinny calves and ankles---it is hard for me to find a fit as well. I ended up =with the Dalbello Kryzma this year.

I also think that Dolomite has a split tongue in their boots that supposed supports either large or small calves. But, I will say it again, find a good bootfitter and ask him for a recommendation!!! Also, take out the hard part --the spoiler on the back of the boot for more comfort.

Well, I did a first round boot fitting last night and tried a Dalbello for the first time (along with some Rossi, Heads and Technicas). I really liked the Dalbello Electra E8 and those are at the top of my list right now but I tried after a full day of skiing so I want to do some fittings at other times of the day as well. I'd also like to try on the Electra 10 at some point as well as it has an additional custom moldable component.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the answer for you - Atomic have a range that suit the wider foot, and are very accomodating for the larger, lower woman's calf. They are also pre-wired for thermic boot heaters so you will never have to have cold feet again. This is what I have, they fit my 'duck feet' (wide forefoot, high instep, narrow heel) very well.

Dalbello's are a very high volume boot, but they pack out very quickly (this is why they call them Dalbuckets) so what is comfortable now may be wobbling around on your foot next season.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dalbello's are a very high volume boot, but they pack out very quickly (this is why they call them Dalbuckets) so what is comfortable now may be wobbling around on your foot next season.

But not the Dalbello Kryptons, especially with the heat moldable liner.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll add Atomics to my too try list, thanks for the tips. I should add, I plan on doing custom insoles from Surefoot as the Copper Mountain store is giving great discounts to coaches from my team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna