• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Boots for Woman with Large Calves

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW - I posted in a different thread about some boots that developed stress fractures. In addition to some stance issues another problem that segwayed into this was the fact that I do have large calves and even though the boots seemed to fit they infact did not. Essentially the problem was twofold,1) me 2) The boots I was in did not fit my calve and as a result I was not buckling them as tightly as I should to keep me more upright. In case you didn't know, I didn't there is a shim in the back of the ski boots that shoud be removed for women with large calves, it is essentially there for women whom don't. My original bootfitter did not remove this, but should have. Secondly make sure even if the boots feel good that you can crank down on them without cutting your circulation off. Crank them way down and then hang out for 10 or 15 minutes. I ended up finding the Technicas the most accomodating for me, but I wouldn't at this point limit my choices if I were you. Make sure that you can crank the boots down to a point where you are not hanging in them when you are in a forward flex. This is where I got in trouble, the boots felt like they fit, but without the ability to really crank them down, I ended up with my weight altogether in the front of the boot. So just a little something to add here.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've got pretty big calves and when I bought my boots 2 years ago (Salomon Rush 8) and brought them to Green Mountain Orthotics Lab, the first thing they did was removed the adjustable "spoiler" that's attached to the back of the boot. I'm not sure if all boots have them, but removing them from mine made a huge difference.

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Someone said that they would never buy Nordica, because they are too tight. When I was trying on boots, the Noridca were the roomiest of them all and had really cool adjustments to make the cuff wider to fit the calf. Someone else said that Dabellos were roomy and I couldn't even get my foot into them, but that may have just been the model I tried. My 2003 Solomon X-Wave 8s were very roomy in the foot, but tight around the calf.

I think the boot companies are finally realizing that they are severely limiting thier sales market by making only narrow or wide boots. The ladies boots definitely have lower cuff height, some are lower than others. I also noticed that different models from the same company fit very differently. The fit can even vary from year to year within the same model. Don't rule anything out.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just happened to look @ some Head Dream Thang 12's yesterday and was amazed at the adjustability options it has at the ankle and calf, so maybe that would be worth a try.

skihawk

Certified Ski Diva
I recently bought my first pair of ski boots. I tried on many different pairs and in many different price ranges. I have larger calves (runs in the family... my brother was a punter). Anyways, I fell in love with the Dabello and I ended up with the Aspire, which of all the boots fit me the best. I was a little bummed that the Head boots I really wanted didn't fit right, but I am really happy with my purchase.

pinkkid

Certified Ski Diva
I too have a narrow heel, larger calf & a wider front toe area where the ball of the feet are. I have the Dabello Lotus and used them all last season, well this season they are not fitting well and my feet are in pain and I am fatiguing. I hate to buy new boots, but am willing too for sure! Any specific boot choices I should look at? I am us size 7 and seem to always need a mondo size 24.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm, that mondo size seems off. I'm a size 9 foot and wear a 24.5 mondo. Have they done a shell fit when you get the 24?

pinkkid

Certified Ski Diva
yep.
I know it's wierd.... I was in a 25 for a several years and I was always swimming in it. After getting my foot re measured a few times, 24 kept coming up.

I notice Heads & Atomic's and Solomon's seem to be the best choices from this thread for "duck feet" as I have been told I have along with larger calves.

Boot fitting has always been a issue for skiers. I can handle my legs and thighs burning, but not the feet. It just makes everything 'miserable'.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have wide fore feet and larger calves and I'm in Technica Attivas. Dalbellos felt horrid when I put them on as they are meant for low volume feet.

pinkkid

Certified Ski Diva
I have wide fore feet and larger calves and I'm in Technica Attivas. Dalbellos felt horrid when I put them on as they are meant for low volume feet.

Thanks! I am pretty sure my ski shop have those to try on.

skidoc120

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dalbello Aspires

FWIW, the Dalbello boot is the only reason I'm skiing again. I have very large calves, and this was the only boot in the shop that could accomodate my calves with room to spare. I didn't know about the shim; does anyone know if these boots have the shim? I'd like to remove it so I could fasten the boots tighter. I also have duck feet, so my only complaint about these is a little too soft flex, and a looser heel, and I'd love to know if there are any fixes for that problem. Heel lift? Heel cup? Can't really go with new boots at this point.

PowDiva85

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i believe the lotus has a spoiler - take it to a bootfitter and ask them to remove it. You could probably do it your self but since I dont carry the boot I cant really explain how to do it. Spoilers should be taken out of every boot- for everyone. They can always be put back in but I have never had to do it. We just take them out because even if you have a smaller calf who wants to be jammed against the front of their boot ALL day. So tiring. some boots, like the heads, have a cuff adjustment that needs to be "opened" with an allen key underneath the power strap. As for the duck foot question what you need is a boot that is abducted like the Nordica Sport 10. It allows you to stand slightly abducted inside the boot but the symptoms you are describing dont seem to match an abduction problem. If the boot has a flex adjustment make sure its cranked to the higher flex and then yes maybe a small heal lift to tighten up the heal.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm, that mondo size seems off. I'm a size 9 foot and wear a 24.5 mondo. Have they done a shell fit when you get the 24?
Agree 100%! I wear a 7.5-8 shoe and am currently in a 23.5 boot. I can get into the 22.5, but...Ack! When measured, my right foot is a 24-24.5 and my left is 24.5-25 (unweighted-weighted).

Make sure they shell fit you to no more than 1 1/2-2 fingers!!

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too have large calves and thin heel. I ski on the Salomon Rush 8 boot, and with some adjustments it's been fine in the calves, but I was advised (it was my first time back to skiing in more than a decade and got advice from a crappy shop with kids who knew little about boots working there) to buy the boot in a size that now that it is packed out is a full size too big - I am in a 25 and should be in a 24. I've really liked the boot overall, just wish it still fit.

Don't think they can be, or I want them to be salvaged, as I know it's harder to get a large boot to fit right than a too small one. I wouldn't mind finding a pair online in the "right" size, but looks like since it's a few years old now they are all gone. I know the Idol 9 to have a similar fit, so hoping to go in the next couple weeks to see if I can get that fit on me properly, as Solly's seem to be good out of the box save the packing out/mistaken size advice.

In fall 2007 when I last did the dreaded boot thing, I know that Salomon and Dalbello were the only two boots that fit my calf well, but the Dalbello didn't feel right and wasn't as highly reviewed as the Rush, so at the time so I opted for the Rush's. Don't know more ample calf fit has changed with more current models, as I see some of you are finding the Attiva's work now, but do plan to find out soon. Ugh, dreading the boot thing.

Definitely going to look at custom foot beds with my next pair. NJ Sue, where is Green Mountain Orthodics lab? I'm going to Google it, but any info you have would be great. Thanks.

Cheers,

Retromaven

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keep an eye on e-bay. Many, many shops ditch their NOS (New Old Stock) stuff on e-bay. I've had very good luck finding replacement boots there, after buying one at a shop and getting it fitted correctly, of course.

pinkkid

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you all.. I head out tomorrow,Sunday with some adjustments made. We'll see what happens!

Lefty Lucy

Certified Ski Diva
My calves are a freakish 19" at their biggest point. The Head Edge series and Dalbello Aspire have worked well for me. And if you find a boot you love but just can't fasten the top buckle, they can often move the buckle over a centimeter or two by drilling a new hole for it.

If I can find ski boots, anyone can! You just need a good bootfitter and may need to try on a lot of different boots before you find the right ones. If you have giant calves and are renting gear, you should buy your own boots even before you buy your own skis -- they make a HUGE difference vs. rental boots.

m185

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love Head boots as well - & I have huge calves

I have huge halves and wide feet...bootfitter put in a heel lift and the head boots were the ONLY boots that seems big enough in the calf for me...love them.

After getting my own boots -no more bruising around the calves and no more pain...best thing I ever did in terms of making skiing a happier experience!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga