• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Boot Stiffness

WILDRWilliams

Diva in Training
Hi Ya'll!

I was sold a Tecnica mach1 lv 95 in the store (95 is flex).

I am a 120 lbs but an ex racer at the Nor-Am level. I ski about 30 days on piste and 30+ off piste each season. My touring boots are the scarpa GS RS, (which claims to be a 120 flex but it is a touring boot).

I am not sure if the Tecnica mach1 lv 95 boots are going to be too soft for me, or if they are going to be fine. I coach young ski racers ((very young,6-9 yrs) I help them start carving) and my local mountain tends to have more powder/softer snow than most places!

If I use the boots on snow, the ski store said I can't return them. So If I take them skiing I have committed to them and can't go back, this feels high stakes!

Theres a couple clips of me skiing my touring boots shoved into a slalom ski here ( I know that that is not good practice). It feels a little sloppy when I ski these but a touring boot flexs differently than a downhill boot!

Should I keep them or return them before its too late?

elemmac

Angel Diva
I was sold a Tecnica mach1 lv 95 in the store (95 is flex).

I am a 120 lbs but an ex racer at the Nor-Am level. I ski about 30 days on piste and 30+ off piste each season. My touring boots are the scarpa GS RS, (which claims to be a 120 flex but it is a touring boot).
My initial reaction is that if you're happy with your touring boots in a 120 flex, and your background as a racer...you're going to be disappointed in a 95-flex piste boot. You might be fine when you're teaching the kids, but I think when you're free-skiing at the speeds you choose, there's a good chance you'll be overflexing the boot.

Is there any chance that this was the only boot they had that fit your foot? This happens way more than it should. Or that it's the stiffest women's boot they carried? Was this a certified "boot fitter" or more of a "shop that sells boots"?

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I watched your video—which was awesome! Seeing your ski segments and your enthusiasm for building/maintaining strength I cannot imagine you will find enough support in 95 flex with how you are moving and your background. I’d return.

WILDRWilliams

Diva in Training
I watched your video—which was awesome! Seeing your ski segments and your enthusiasm for building/maintaining strength I cannot imagine you will find enough support in 95 flex with how you are moving and your background. I’d return.
I was really worried this was the case, I think I was just nervous about saying no to the sales guy, I will have to return them.

WILDRWilliams

Diva in Training
My initial reaction is that if you're happy with your touring boots in a 120 flex, and your background as a racer...you're going to be disappointed in a 95-flex piste boot. You might be fine when you're teaching the kids, but I think when you're free-skiing at the speeds you choose, there's a good chance you'll be overflexing the boot.

Is there any chance that this was the only boot they had that fit your foot? This happens way more than it should. Or that it's the stiffest women's boot they carried? Was this a certified "boot fitter" or more of a "shop that sells boots"?
I think you are right... he said he did not want to order in a boot so he just put me in the 95s. We tried a 110 in a wide boot but I have a very low volume foot so they felt really sloppy. I asked if he could order the stiffer version and he said I if I was 20 lbs heavier he would. I don't know if he is a certified boot fitter, that is something else I should have asked about!

I learned a lot from this experience about standing up for myself and not being afraid of saying no. He spent like an hour with me so I felt like I owed it to him to buy the boots.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I think you are right... he said he did not want to order in a boot so he just put me in the 95s. We tried a 110 in a wide boot but I have a very low volume foot so they felt really sloppy. I asked if he could order the stiffer version and he said I if I was 20 lbs heavier he would. I don't know if he is a certified boot fitter, that is something else I should have asked about!

I learned a lot from this experience about standing up for myself and not being afraid of saying no. He spent like an hour with me so I felt like I owed it to him to buy the boots.
I would return them, and just let them know that you thought about it more, and really think you need a stiffer boot based on your own experiences with other boots. If the boot fits really well, you can give them a chance to order you the correct flex. But walk in knowing that they've already steered you wrong, and you don't owe them anything. If they don't want to order you the 115...call it a day and take your business elsewhere.

MissySki

Angel Diva

What the heck?? This person doesn't seem to have been listening to you at all. And weight is far from the only indicator of what's needed in a boot's flex for a skier..

I have the Technica Mach 1 LV Pro W which is the 115 flex.. I'm 5'4" and ~125lbs. I do not have a race background, what I have are long lower leg bones for my height that apparently increase my leverage over a ski boot in my size. This is my third season in this boot, it's not perfect but it probably is the best fit I've had of any boot I've skied so far. I do find it a bit stiff for my skiing style.. I'd love to knock it down just a little bit as it feels absolutely perfect when temps skiing reach around 40 degrees lol. When I tried on the 95 originally my fitter thought I flexed it way too much, so seems I need something in between and still might get mine softened a little.

Anyway, I would not settle for the boot you have with all of these concerns. If possible, I would get a good recommendation elsewhere of a great bootfitter in your area and give them your business. You do not owe this person anything.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I echo what the others said and would like to know where you are located? Perhaps we can steer you towards a better shop where you can get an appointment with a boot fitter vs. a kid who is selling boots.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was in a 130 Lange Boot for racing but I am not racing any more

I was really worried this was the case, I think I was just nervous about saying no to the sales guy, I will have to return them.
hmmm something doesn't make sense -- you were in a 130 Lange, someone put you in the Scarpa RS why are you going to a "sales guy" with all your experience? Why are you not going back to the fitter who put you in the race boots?

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You are going to have to throw money at it. You can go to a bootfitter. There are things that can be done to stiffen the boot. Or you can decide to get new boots.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
" . . . he said he did not want to order in a boot so he just put me in the 95s."
All I can say is "he said what??" Pardon my English, but this is his effing job! The idea that he put you in a boot that likely will not fit your needs simply because he "did not want to order" something appropriate, for whatever reason, is galling. Not only is it unprofessional, it is dismissive in the extreme.

I'd return them, suggest he go sit on a ski pole, and seek out a more responsible shop and bootfitter.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I am only just now creeping up to 120 lbs and in the Technica Mach1 Pro W 120 flex. I have a low volume foot. What you are mainly paying for in a higher flex boot is a better liner, which I think is that much more important when one has an lv foot. I would also be concerned you might pack that liner in the 95 out faster than you would like (I packed a pair of 85's out in a week).

I used to be afraid of 3-digit flex numbers mainly because I'm not that big of a person. After my week-long instructor in Taos last year said I was a strong skier and liked my upgrade in boots (improved skiing in them) I am finally cured of the fear of a bigger number painted on the side of the boot. I would also be concerned if the shop didn't carry any higher flex options.

If the bootfitter was worth their salt, they would have said they didn't have anything for you and sent you to another shop.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just adding that it's easier to soften a boot and very difficult to stiffen it. I've gradually increased the stiffness of my Nordica ProMachines (115 flex) by starting out with both bolts removed and adding one back in as the boots softened with age and I felt more confident with the flex. I'm getting to the point where I think both bolts in would be good. My husband has the SpeedMachine and that allows you to adjust the flex using a control on the back - basically removes the top bolt to soften the flex a little.

The ProMachine is worth a look if you can try it.

SparkleBunny

Certified Ski Diva
I was also put in a Technica mach 1 lv 95 flex by my fitter. But for context I am an intermediate skier, no racing at all, so I'm pretty sure we should not be in the same boot.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm also a non-racing intermediate in the same boot. The fact that they didn't want to order anything new sends strong red flag vibes, and going from 120-130 flex to 95 seems ridiculous unless you have an injury or heaps of time off...

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another vote to return them. I considered that boot and don't have your strength or skill. I totally get feeling obligated like that, but you'll just be wasting your money to keep them.

I've been in one of those situations before where instead of putting me in the right boot, I was put in what was convenient to sell, and it was a huge waste of money for me in the end.

If the Mach 1 LV fit well, there's a 115 version of it.

3beeches

Certified Ski Diva
I found the video to be helpful. Last season, I bought boots with a flex of 95. I have been thinking that I may need stiffer boots. I did not know that another factor to consider is foot volume until watching this video.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga