• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Bibs: Yay or nay?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Update: Siren bibs in Ruby is so cute with Billie shell in Flamingo color. w ruby zips... Sirens are roomier fit than Foxy's and a tad longer, Billie is definitely longer in the sleeves, but my question @elemmac for you......Is that Flamingo color very visible in a storm? Or even on a day with no sun?

So..... I ordered the Foxy bibs in mint just because. If I love them, then I will order the Domino shell with mint zips.......

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Visible enough, I suppose. The only time my husband has mentioned I was hard to see was in Austria on a stormy day, where he was even hard to see at times (with dark clothing on).
Yeah I get that.... I can remember skiing Kitzbuhel in a total white out. My friend had neon green shell and I still couldn't see her....

It's so pretty and I love how it looks with the Ruby bibs....... we'll see when the mint colored foxy's arrive if I change my mind and get the Flylow Domino shell.....
First world problems, I know.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, just to update on my bib adventure. I went back to pants briefly because I hated the trials of going to the bathroom, but realized after this, how much more I like my bibs. They seem to keep my layers in better order whereas pants cut me at an angle when skiing and depending on the length of the tops, they'd kinda ride up!

So I went back to Evo to find a new bib, with bathroom breaks in mind! I tried several bibs - the Burton Reserve, Trew Gear Astoria, the Volcom Elm Stretch Gore-Tex and the Flylow Moxie, all in XS, regular length. I wanted to try the Flylow Foxy and Burton Avalon, but Evo was out of XS (or I couldn't find it). My stats are 5'2, 110-115, 32-25-35 inseam 29, rectangular build I'd say, with slightly more junk in the trunk.

Burton Reserve:
Fit was big and baggy on me, and long. I was surprised because I had heard the Burton Avalon was really well-fitting, but this is a different cut. I remember the bottom cuffs had a snowboard boot attachment if anyone needs that. I don't and because it was too long I kept stepping on it with my socks - ouch. Would probably have been fine with ski boots on. Baggy is not bad, but I'm a member of the Itty Bitty Titty club and it definitely showed in this one. More blessed ladies might appreciate that though!

Pockets at the chest and waist, two on each side, and venting at the thighs. I dislike the fabric shoulder loops. I'm short and find elastic slips less and is more forgiving. Also disliked the pocket situation since none of them would be accessible to me with my coat on.

Trew Gear Astoria:
This one fit pretty well, slightly long, but nothing slight cuffing couldn't fix. I really loved the color (Sagebrush), but the huge front pocket hung really weird on me. It almost made me look like I had saggy boobs. I wear a midlayer, so I knew I'd never use that pocket, but I'd shed the midlayer for lunch and just didn't like the thought of walking around the lodge looking like I had saggy boobs. Curse vanity! Again, might not be an issue for more blessed ladies and if you like to use a huge pocket at your chest, this one will work well for you!

The lower on the thigh pocket was similarly built to the chest packet, but didn't stick out as much. Still kinda cargo pants like. Note: it has belt loops and elastic shoulder straps.

Volcom Elm Stretch Gore-Tex:
This actually fit to a tee, but the waist did a weird gaping thing. The pockets on the chest zipper down to the waist area. Maybe it's because I am not well-endowed, but the zipper ends created a weird pucker. It would probably go away with more layers, but there was also the problem of the color. It was the really light lilac color and I dunno if I attract dirt or something, but I cannot keep anything light looking clean for long without a lot of care. At that price for a piece that will be flying down slopes in the greats outdoors, I'm not buying anything I have to baby.

The real thing that made me say no though: I did not think the bathroom flap would not be easy to work when layered up for skiing. I was able to open the horizontal slit across the back when unencumbered by my midlayer and jacket, but I know on the hill I won't be quite as agile and the point was not to have to take off my outer layers. I wanted to stick with an up/down zipper that I only needed one hand for.

Note: it has two diagonal thigh pockets and belt loops above them. And a button at the center of the belt loop that is for I don't know what. The elastic shoulder straps are also detachable - can't figure out why I want that either though, since it has a backseat flap.

I really did consider ordering this one online in a darker color, but the backseat flap function ultimately did that notion in.

Flylow Moxie:
I was bummed that I hadn't found the Foxy, but since they had XS in the Moxie, I gave it a try. It fit really nicely! Not too tight anywhere, which boded well for all the layering I like to do, but still not too baggy either. A straighter more relaxed cut, which suits me as I'm pretty rectangular! The material felt really solid and durable - slick and loud* 3 layer construction. Felt more solid than something like the Trew Astoria. The zippers were really smooth and weirdly enough, seemed lower profile than the others.

It has a top chest pocket, a lower kangaroo pocket across the chest and detachable shouder straps (seriously, is there some use I can get out them, enlighten me!). There are two horizontal thigh pockets which I like since I can access them easily as they are below my jacket. I don't really use chest pockets since they are hard to access. Vents at thighs.

I wasn't initally wanting deep orange (they call it copper), but the color wasn't light and was actually kinda complimantary to my purple hair. The material though really felt bulletproof and living in the pacific northwest, waterproof is KEY. So Moxie was the winner!

I've skied them for about ten days now and they are working out really well. I still have a bit of trouble getting the zip up to where it finishes up under my jacket by the arm, but not cause it's too tight or anything with the layers, but because I'm just not flexible with all those layers on to pull up that high and bend my elbow. Still easier than before though!

*My cat is terrified when I walk around in it. Hilarious.

Last edited:

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Burton Reserve:
Fit was big and baggy on me, and long. I was surprised because I had heard the Burton Avalon was really well-fitting, but this is a different cut.
Interesting. I tried both Reserve and Avalon last year (both in small), and I was worried Reserve was a tad snug--Avalon was looser. But I tried the Avalon Gore-tex, which maybe they cut bigger because it doesn't stretch?

I'm waiting on Flylow to come out with numerical sizing next season. Small is too tight and medium is baggy for my taste.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. I tried both Reserve and Avalon last year (both in small), and I was worried Reserve was a tad snug--Avalon was looser. But I tried the Avalon Gore-tex, which maybe they cut bigger because it doesn't stretch?

I'm waiting on Flylow to come out with numerical sizing next season. Small is too tight and medium is baggy for my taste.
I think I've confused you, apologies! I've actually never tried the Avalon, so it may well fit too big like the Reserve! I just had a silly preconceived notion that Burton bibs would fit me snugly based on nothing other than reading reviews online. Goes to show you how we all need it try on to really know.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that different styles have different cuts - which did you try? Most ladies say Foxy is a slimmer cut and Moxie is more relaxed. So in-between might be found in a different style?
I tried both, and I think Moxie fit better but was really big in the waist. I preferred the cut of Foxy but need an in between size.

I’ve decided I like stretchy pants best and now own two pairs of Spyder Orb. But I still have to try all the clothes!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried both, and I think Moxie fit better but was really big in the waist. I preferred the cut of Foxy but need an in between size.

I’ve decided I like stretchy pants best and now own two pairs of Spyder Orb. But I still have to try all the clothes!
Spyder is a good brand. Everyone has a different body, so what fits one person, isn't going to work for another. If you still want to try Flylow, I heard the Siren bib is even more relaxed? But of course, I'm the one who had preconceived notions about Burton bibs and look how that turned out.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Spyder is a good brand. Everyone has a different body, so what fits one person, isn't going to work for another. If you still want to try Flylow, I heard the Siren bib is even more relaxed? But of course, I'm the one who had preconceived notions about Burton bibs and look how that turned out.
I tried the Siren and way too big for me… I now have 2 foxys and one sphinx!
What to wear with the school bus yellow bibs???

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Grey. mountain force? had a sublime grey/ yellow collection a few years ago
A highly patterned jacket.
your new purple jacket?
Possibly purple ish HH insulated jacket ? Hopefully sizing hasn't changed b/c the extra smalls are perfect on me.....
BTW, I should sell my Red Mountain Force jacket I never wear. It's an $800 jacket that I got 75% off. It's been worn maybe a few times and is a size 34 European sizes which is a pretty small extra small.
Paging @badger , @Pequenita , @tinymoose and any other petite divas.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Possibly purple ish HH insulated jacket ? Hopefully sizing hasn't changed b/c the extra smalls are perfect on me.....
BTW, I should sell my Red Mountain Force jacket I never wear. It's an $800 jacket that I got 75% off. It's been worn maybe a few times and is a size 34 European sizes which is a pretty small extra small.
I just got a new Marmot on sale recently to replace my old coat that was easily 7-8 yrs old.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What is the question?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga