• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Since I know you all swear by bootfitters...

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
https://willisskiandboard.com/services/custom-boot-fitting/ Local shop claims to be a custom bootfitter. How will I know? It's my only option because of location. They did grind out the toes on my last pair of ill fitting boots, is this what I'm looking for? And the custom bake? worth it?

I'm wearing Salomon Divine 7 series boots. I have loved these boots until this point. They are getting loose, as in I can't buckle them tight enough. So do I boot-fit the old, or go for new. After doing some forum lurking on the subject, the flex is too soft for my ability level, how will a stiffer boot change the way I ski? Is it worth shelling out the cake for new ones? These are two seasons old, as I bought them on clearance in several seasons into the model year. Totally got caught as an uneducated consumer...lesson learned for this time. But as far as things go, for the price, these have been great boots. I guess I'm trying to figure out the benefit of a stiffer boot. Are these holding me back?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Best way to know if a boot fitter is good is to get a recommendation from someone who has a history with the shop. In particular, the name(s) to ask for. From the website, it certainly looks like a shop that's been around for a while and probably knows what they are doing given the multiple locations, including 7Springs.

As for how custom to go, that's harder to say. Getting a custom footbed certainly helps. The good thing is that a footbed can be moved from boot to boot. Have heard a footbed can last 10 years. That was the first addition that I made after I discovered there was a decent boot fitter in central NC near me. I didn't add a custom liner until I used the boots with the stock liner for a couple seasons.

My current boots are relatively soft. However, that has certainly not held me back from becoming a much better skier since I got them four years ago. One of the effects of changing out to Intuition liners was to make the boots a bit stiffer. Even so, they are still on the soft side for my current ability level. However, I find that has it's uses when it comes to practicing technique in the Mid-Atlantic. I decided to get another season out of them before going through the effort of getting new boots. When I get new boots, I'll have the Intuition liners re-molded to get the most out of that investment. Especially since I now know that Freestyle in Charlottesville handles Intuitions.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are these holding me back?

I'm in the same boat. My 2 cents: Yes, in one or two ways. Cranking down to tighten them can be uncomfortable if not downright painful to the foot and lower leg. Slop inside the boot creates all kinds of problems, from affecting turn execution and edge control to feeling greater unpredictability and insecurity.

Neither one is conducive to having fun. I've had my boots for 3 seasons now and I really like them, but I'll have to do something next year for sure. Either taking my boots into a shop to get adjusted, or maybe buying a Zipfit or Intuition liner, I don't know. I need to replace the worn-down toe and heel pieces on my boots too.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://willisskiandboard.com/services/custom-boot-fitting/ Local shop claims to be a custom bootfitter. How will I know? It's my only option because of location. They did grind out the toes on my last pair of ill fitting boots, is this what I'm looking for? And the custom bake? worth it?
If you can't get stellar recommendations on them from others, just call for a fitting appointment. If they don't shell fit you to your old boots to check their suitability and/or ask you tons of questions about them and your skiing, that'll tell you much about their skill/attention level as fitters.

They are getting loose, as in I can't buckle them tight enough. So do I boot-fit the old, or go for new. After doing some forum lurking on the subject, the flex is too soft for my ability level, how will a stiffer boot change the way I ski? Is it worth shelling out the cake for new ones?
Trying to make a too-big and/or too-soft boot smaller and/or stiffer is rarely a winning proposition. Even when it does work, it's usually a very temporary fix. If you are noticing the size and softness, it IS time for new ones. Sorry.

I guess I'm trying to figure out the benefit of a stiffer boot. Are these holding me back?
Stiffer (correctly fitted) boots will more quickly and accurately transfer the smaller movements of your lower legs/feet to your skis, making them respond much more quickly. If properly balanced in your stiffer boots, you'll also be able to pressure the tips of your skis better, making for quicker and easier turn initiation. Softer/beginner boots are designed to allow for errant gross body movements without having the skis respond instantly so lower level skiers have some degree of "forgiveness". In general, the answer to your question is "Likely".

Jilly

Staff member
A boot fitter "worth his foot beds" will look at your old boots and give you a choice. Fix or new. If you're current boots are too big to start with, he'll suggest new. Also if he thinks they may be towards the end of their life cycle, new boots. Lizzy just went through this and is going to look for new boots. It didn't make sense to but more money into the older boots.

I didn't look at the link, so if they just fit boots ask what brand/model you should be looking for to fit your foot and leg.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another thought: I noticed that a boot that seems perfectly fine for one ski may feel sloppy on a different ski - specifically ones that are stiffer, longer, or wider. So that's another way that fit matters more as you progress.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Have heard a footbed can last 10 years.
This has been previously discussed here. 10 years? I think some of us have footbeds that date way longer. I actually had to hunt pics to remember actual purchase year of mine (still in service, still fine): November, 1996. That’s 17 ski seasons under the belt. They have been checked by boot fitter, as recently as last March. Still fine.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This has been previously discussed here. 10 years? I think some of us have footbeds that date way longer. I actually had to hunt pics to remember actual purchase year of mine (still in service, still fine): November, 1996. That’s 17 ski seasons under the belt. They have been checked by boot fitter, as recently as last March. Still fine.
I was conservative and said "10 years" because I got so much push back from a few guys, including a boot fitter, on another forum when I wrote "10-20 years." Certainly hope to get 15-20 years from my footbeds based on your experience. :smile:

Last edited:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Think I got my $125 worth? :wink:
Old saying: "If it ain't broke..."

Jilly

Staff member
Long as they are not the "cork" type. Mine only lasted 2 years. The Sidas are much better.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
Trying to make a too-big and/or too-soft boot smaller and/or stiffer is rarely a winning proposition. Even when it does work, it's usually a very temporary fix. If you are noticing the size and softness, it IS time for new ones. Sorry.

Yeah, I had a feeling. I just can't get them tight enough but was thinking that maybe custom footbeds might be a temporary fix. However, now that I think about it, I can't physically ratchet them down any tighter, there are still buckles left, so the are small enough. And after reading more boards, it really seems to be the flex that is the problem, they are just too soft. I just wasn't technically proficient on boots when I bought them to know better, I'm a pt barnum sucker I'd guess. I really didn't want to buy new ones but the evidence is stacking against that thought.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I know the OP so can ask for an update if you like.

Can you ask if he's been to willi's in the south hills? They seem to be pretty knowledgeable. Thanks to divas, I'm a lot more educated this time. That other store is further from me than the mountain. LOL. The willi's here is 15 minutes best, so if they are offering true custom bootfitting, that would be pretty sweet.

abc

Banned
Yeah, I had a feeling. I just can't get them tight enough but was thinking that maybe custom footbeds might be a temporary fix. However, now that I think about it, I can't physically ratchet them down any tighter, there are still buckles left, so the are small enough. And after reading more boards, it really seems to be the flex that is the problem, they are just too soft. I just wasn't technically proficient on boots when I bought them to know better, I'm a pt barnum sucker I'd guess. I really didn't want to buy new ones but the evidence is stacking against that thought.
On the other hand, since footbed last forever and you typically take them to a new boot, your "temporary fix" isn't too temporary after all.

I agree new boots PLUS custom footbed are probably a better answer.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Long as they are not the "cork" type. Mine only lasted 2 years. The Sidas are much better.

Mine are cork. I requested cork as I felt that cork was more supportive than my sidas one. I have had them for one year so far so good. What happened to yours?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had my Superfeet Corks since 1980-something. They've been inspected by my podiatrist and every bootfitter I've seen since and declared still perfectly good.

Jilly

Staff member
Mine were super feet and shot in 2 years. I'm going into year 3 with the Sidas hard type.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga