• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shingrix vaccine

Jilly

Staff member
Had the flu shot on Thursday. Typical sore arm. Had a Covid Booster Friday afternoon, nothing. No sore arm, no reaction at all.

Going to talk to the Doc when I see him next month about the Shingles vax.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even scarier is that the shingles was on her face/near her eye, which is no bueno.
Eek!

When I had shingles in my 20s, it started on my forehead. The risk was that it would travel and get into the optic nerve. I was lucky that when I went to the university student health clinic, the doctor recognized the symptoms and I got appropriate medication. It hurt enough that I decided to go get it checked out. Even with the medication, spent the next few days on my mother's futon not wanting to do much of anything. There was a indent scar about the size of a dime at about the hairline that took a few years to fill in naturally. The doctor had offered a referral to a plastic surgeon because it was so deep and noticeable.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A dear friend had it in his early forties. He thought for months that it was a mildly necrotic spider bite....

mustski

Angel Diva
I was pretty badly off for one day after it, but ibuprofen handled it. My arm is still red and swollen. I’m glad that I’m done with it.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I had my first Shingrix shot at the end of August - other than a pretty dang sore injection site, I had no other reaction. I am never sure if that is a good thing! Planning to get my 2nd in mid November.

I wanted to get my flu shot + COVID booster together last week, but the prior week I had a sudden and extreme lightheaded episode. My resting pulse is normally low (high 50s), but I was down to 46-48, blood pressure was normal. My doc saw me later that day and she did an EKG and bloodwork with no signifiant results; they have ordered a heart monitor just to be safe. It hasn't happened again, but I have chosen to postpone the COVID booster to see how the heart monitor results shake out!

I went ahead with the flu shot last week, with no reaction.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a timely article.

About how confusing all these vaccines are.

Really, after my childhood, I mostly just worried about tetanus unless I was going someplace exotic. Then suddenly the last 15-20 years things have gotten complicated. I used to faint when I saw a needle, now I'm like, "Whatever".

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I’m in Hawaii now and will get flu shot and RSV upon my return. MD says to space out all my vaccine because of my reactions… omg Shingrix 2 was a couple of years ago and horrible reaction!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had my annual physical yesterday, got my first shingles vax. Arm is sore, that's about it. I generally don't react strongly to vaccines, except when getting the actual vaccine and I almost pass out. Every single time. I have no idea why.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Had my annual physical yesterday, got my first shingles vax. Arm is sore, that's about it. I generally don't react strongly to vaccines, except when getting the actual vaccine and I almost pass out. Every single time. I have no idea why.

Do you watch the injection?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Does this happen when you give blood as well? I have to lie down when blood is taken (used to have to for shots as well, but usually okay for that now). A doctor told me a certain percentage of the population has this response and you can’t control it. But if you lie down flat you physically cannot pass out, which has proven true for me and it lessens or eliminates almost all of the pre-pass out feelings I used to get as well. For example, I’ve had to be given smelling salts before and had my head shoved between my knees.. much prefer to lie down to start now lol.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you watch the injection?
No, but I sure feel it!
Does this happen when you give blood as well? I have to lie down when blood is taken (used to have to for shots as well, but usually okay for that now). A doctor told me a certain percentage of the population has this response and you can’t control it. But if you lie down flat you physically cannot pass out, which has proven true for me and it lessens or eliminates almost all of the pre-pass out feelings I used to get as well. For example, I’ve had to be given smelling salts before and had my head shoved between my knees.. much prefer to lie down to start now lol.
It used to when I would have blood drawn. I got over it while I was pregnant because I had to have blood drawn so often. I've read that a certain % of us have this type of reaction, and it's annoying!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
You haven't had the 2nd Shingrix yet !!

MissySki

Angel Diva
No, but I sure feel it!

It used to when I would have blood drawn. I got over it while I was pregnant because I had to have blood drawn so often. I've read that a certain % of us have this type of reaction, and it's annoying!
It’s so annoying and embarrassing.. I hate it!! At my doctor’s office they only have the little tiny room with chairs. So I have to ask to be brought to an exam room for bloodwork. I swear the phlebotomist there hates me every time lol.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You haven't had the 2nd Shingrix yet !!
My provider says I can wait a year if I want. I’m definitely feeling a bit tired today. Definitely not looking forward to the second shot at all.
It’s so annoying and embarrassing.. I hate it!! At my doctor’s office they only have the little tiny room with chairs. So I have to ask to be brought to an exam room for bloodwork. I swear the phlebotomist there hates me every time lol.
“Oh, it’s HER!” :laughter:My daughter has the same reaction. I’ve never donated blood because I KNOW I’d pass out. It’s annoying because I mentally prepare myself and distract myself but it doesn’t matter.

MissySki

Angel Diva
My provider says I can wait a year if I want. I’m definitely feeling a bit tired today. Definitely not looking forward to the second shot at all.

“Oh, it’s HER!” :laughter:My daughter has the same reaction. I’ve never donated blood because I KNOW I’d pass out. It’s annoying because I mentally prepare myself and distract myself but it doesn’t matter.
Exactly! lol Same here, I feel bad that I don’t donate blood.. but I think it would be more of a hassle to get than it’s worth!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I donated for years without issue and just didn't watch, as I frequently wanted to pass out. Then one day I did and crackers weren't helping me either. They told me not to come anymore.

My daughter has passed out, taking a hard full in a small room with furniture crammed in it. Bump on her head. Was laying on the floor looking like she was having seizures. They told me it was just coming to and re-fainting. Now she insists on laying down.

I've had so many shots in the last 5 years, I now just tell them not to warn me, just hit me, and then I focus (shades of childbirth!) on something else in the room.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna