• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shingrix vaccine

newboots

Angel Diva
I got the old shingles vax only a few months before Shingrix came out! Now I've had three!
:faint:

MissySki

Angel Diva
:bump:
Topic of Shingrix came up elsewhere and reminded me of this thread.

Regardless of your age and health status, well worth getting Shingrix to avoid getting shingles. It takes two shots to be fully effective.
I believe it’s only indicated for ages 50 and older, unless you are immunocompromised.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As with any vaccine, or medication for that matter, it's never a black-and-white issue. There is nothing magic about turning 50. That happens to be the cut-off age used for clinical trials. The risk of having shingles increases with age. It's easier to design a study for a more limited group of people, especially if the potential market is going to be quite large even for a subset of the overall population. The CDC recommendation is based on what was approved by the FDA.

I got the first vaccine developed for shingles. That didn't turn out to be that effective. As soon as Shingrix was approved, I was more than willing to get it even though I had to pay. Having had shingles in my 20s, I didn't want to risk another case. YMMV

November 2020

September 2022

Lmk92

Angel Diva
As someone who got shingles in her 40's, I wish it would have been recommended for 40 and over. I do wonder if I would have taken it, though, as it is marketed as a virus that "old" people get.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:
Topic of Shingrix came up elsewhere and reminded me of this thread.

Regardless of your age and health status, well worth getting Shingrix to avoid getting shingles. It takes two shots to be fully effective.
True that. I just got my first vax and will get the follow-up in November. My arm was sore for a week, but that beats the hell (and I mean HELL) of dealing with shingles.

Jilly

Staff member
OHIP pays for the shots after 65. Didn't get it last year as my arm was sore enough from Covid shots. Thinking about this year. I think public health does it the same time as the flu shots. But the nurses are on strike here, so who knows when.

And I had chickenpox as a kid. So well worth it for me.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In the US, you can get the vax from a pharmacist - no need for a nurse. Is that a possibility in Canada @Jilly ?

altagirl

Staff member
I asked my pharmacist about it and she said to talk to my doctor since it wasn't recommended for under 50. My insurance will cover it once I'm 50, and while I could pay for it she wasn't sure if there were other reasons to wait until the recommended age.

That's probably an overabundance of caution. But I'll get one next year anyway at this point.

Jilly

Staff member
In the US, you can get the vax from a pharmacist - no need for a nurse. Is that a possibility in Canada @Jilly ?
I don't think so as it's only free over 65. The flu shots and Covid shots are free for all. I know that when Public Health was doing the flu clinics you could get it as you had to provide your OHIP card to get the shot.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think so as it's only free over 65. The flu shots and Covid shots are free for all. I know that when Public Health was doing the flu clinics you could get it as you had to provide your OHIP card to get the shot.
Dang. Mine was free, but I'm still on private insurance.

marzNC

Angel Diva
This discussion prompted me to look for a bit more info. CDC has a very basic webpage about shingles. The incidence was increasing in the last couple decades until vaccination became an option. The impact of Shingrix is clearly more important for 50+ folks.

"
About 1 in 3 people in the United States will develop shingles in their life. Your risk of having shingles increases as you get older or if you have a weakened immune system.

Most people who have shingles only have it one time. However, you can have shingles more than once.

The most common complication of shingles is severe pain in the area where the shingles rash occurred. This is known as postherpetic neuralgia, or PHN. Approximately 10% to 18% of people with herpes zoster will get PHN. The risk of PHN also increases with age.

Children can have shingles, but it is not common.
. . ."

Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 3.39.13 PM.jpg

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My mom and hubby have both had PHN. Horrible experience. My mom had to be hospitalized. Naturally it was during a ski trip to Jackson Hole. Good hospital, btw. I have another acquaintance who has shingles in his ears and it is persisting, unfortunately. He's in pain, can't hear, and can't wear his hearing aids. This is just something you do not want.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not entirely shingles related, but we were never sure if I had chicken pox as kid (had 4-5 bumps of vague origin once). So I recently had a titer run which showed no immunity to chicken pox. Ended up getting the chicken pox vaccine series in my 40s. But I guess the shingles vaccine is still recommended even if you didn't have chicken pox and were vaccinated for it, so that's kinda annoying. lol

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I always understood you could only get shingles if you have HAD chickenpox. So why is the shingles vaccine recommended if you're never had chickenpox? (Just trying to understand)

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always understood you could only get shingles if you have HAD chickenpox. So why is the shingles vaccine recommended if you're never had chickenpox? (Just trying to understand)
I dunno. I don’t understand either. I haven’t asked my PCP yet, will at my next appointment. It’s not urgent yet given my age, but I assumed given my titer was negative and I’m now vaccinated against chicken pox that I’d be off the hook for the shingles vaccine. But google seems to indicate otherwise.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's an article that provides a historical context for shingles. Fair to say that exposure to chicken pox as a child was far more common for people who are over 50 as of 2023. Initially the thought was that 60 should be the age after which a vaccine would be worthwhile.

June 2019

Turns out that COVID-19 is a factor for shingles. The research on the topic is just getting started.

March 2023

October 2022

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never reacted to the covid shots or the first Shingrix, but had a nasty fever for about 20 hrs after my second shot which took me totally by surprise. Thankful I was able to rearrange my schedule as I could not have safely driven anywhere that day. Pneumonia vaccine next. Then maybe flu and covid again. Doc wants me to get RSV but local pharmacy won't. Now I have to see if I can get it with a script? Pretty sure I will get covid in January again. Happened last January and the one before that... Wondering if my TB and smallpox immunity are still good this many years since vaccinations. The TB is a pain because they want to medicate me with antibiotics even though I explain that I will always react positively to test because of my vaccine history. I hate docs who can't think outside the box.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna