• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Running: A crazy person's idea of 'FUN'

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Started running again after a great winter of skiing but injuries kept me from running - had to give up one of the two. :Cry: then broke my collar bone skiing and that set me back quite a bit! Did two back to back six mile runs this weekend and loved it :clap: but the knee that I sprained in early winter is a little sore. Ice it is and I will keep at it. I love to run but want to save my legs for the snow :ski2:

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
run the rockies half marathon

start at copper mtn, run the bike path into frisco, out to the lake and back, done.

sounds easy right? you'd like to join? :cool:

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'll have to pass:(...but I'll be thinking about you and cheering you on from Denver! Good Luck!

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i did it. my time wasn't good at all, but i just wanted to finish... i look about as good as i feel in these pictures.

l_1454aa2197c83f989f60e95bc7cf2af6.jpg

l_eff0d18065beba382aeef8ac5a460d4f.jpg

:eek:

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
CONGRATS!!! :cheer: You'll do better next time! :D

I couldn't sleep last night so at 5AM, I actually went out for a run around downtown. I live on a big hill though so I had a lot of uphill to deal with when I came back. 35 minutes and it was maybe 2.5 miles. Yeah, my time sucks. :laugh: But then again, I walked for about half the time and I walked slowly on the cement sidewalks because it really hurt to be on them.

I'm not an early riser normally, but it was nice being out at that time of day. It wasn't too humid yet, there was nobody to see me, and it was very quiet and peaceful.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
i did it. my time wasn't good at all, but i just wanted to finish... i look about as good as i feel in these pictures.

Hey, you did it, which is huge, so congrats on that! Throwing this flatlander (aka, ME) out there to do that distance would be a shock to my system!

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Eh, I'm living proof you can do anything you put your mind to. If I can do it... you guys surely can!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would love to, but I'm doing Danskin the next day. How bout you come out for a triathlon with me? :p You could TOTALLY do it!!!! (edited because the smiley looks like I'm kidding, but I'm really not, I'm dead serious...you could totally do it!)

Oh, and for the record, WAY TO GO!!!!!! You did awesome! :cheer:

Marigee

Angel Diva
Wow - all of you who run those marathons and half-marathons are really an inspiration. I have a hard time with 5 miles in the summer heat and humidity.

On another note - I'm tired of listening to the same songs while I run - suggestions for a good running playlist please! I'll listen to just about anything while running if it has a good beat/tempo (even country :D.)

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a very eclectic mix on my ipod. Lots of 80's/90's, quite a bit of disco, a little bit of country, and some of that newfangled stuff the kids nowadays listen to (Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Black Eyed Peas, etc). :wink:

Ran almost 7 yesterday and I'm sore, but managed a 2.5 mile tempo run. Hoping for a speed workout tomorrow, and another long run on Wednesday before I head back down to my MIL's in Cincinnati (we're in NW Ohio at my mom's right now). Cincinnati is in the middle of a major cicada emergence, and they are nasty, gross, disgusting bugs. I ran one morning last week and while it was early enough that they weren't too bad, it was still really gross trying to avoid the carcasses and dodging the few that were out that early. I decided that I'm avoiding running in Cincinnati the rest of my trip...only swimming and spin class! Therefore, must get all my running in before I head south again! :becky:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a hard time with 5 miles in the summer heat and humidity.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had to cut all of my runs short, to about 4 miles. Then of course this morning was probably great weather, but I was beat and slept in. And then the rains will return this afternoon and evening....Augh.

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Running music (goto itunes and listen before you buy):

Ross Couch
Miguel Migs
Basement Jaxx
Andy Caldwell
Fergie
Mark Farina
Kaskade
Justin Timberlake

Thank me later :wink:

Marigee

Angel Diva
Thank me later :wink:

Thanks Jill. So, are these tunes going to motivate me to run faster - thus being very worn out at the end of my run? :laugh:

I will have to listen on I-tunes before I buy b/c I only recognize a few of these artists ( I guess I am showing my age here!)

For those of you who want something different, or more challenging that just a straightforward run, check out this race the Marine Corps is hosting at Quantico this weekend:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/13/AR2008061303193.html

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
eh, with music you have to be open minded... just because you haven't heard something doesn't mean you won't like it... esp when you are running.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm up to running 8 min straight! :D I know that's nothing compared to you ladies, but it's a HUGE improvement for me, having not run at all until about 5 weeks ago. I did 8 min run/3 min walk/4.5 min run/2 min walk/3 min run, plus warm up and cool down walking (totaling 30 min altogether). (I wanted to do 5 and 8 min running for the other 2 segments, but I just couldn't muster it today.... I should have eaten before running.)

My first 5K is in 4.5 weeks! :eek:

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're going to do awesome in your 5k, Carrie! Look how far you've come in 5 weeks...not running at all to 8 minutes straight! Now think how far you can get in another 5 weeks. The beginning is the hard part, once the conditioning starts to set in, the improvements come much more quickly. And yeah, I've found that nutrition is really important for me when I run. I did two long runs while I was in Ohio, and on both of them I ended up with a really bad side stitch that forced me to walk. Couldn't figure out what the heck was going on, until I realized that I had forgotten to eat anything at all before the 7 miler and then only ate a Lunabar before the 8 miler. I find that a Lunabar and a Stonyfield Farms yogurt smoothie is enough energy to get me through up to 8 or so miles, beyond that, I need to add a bagel or banana or something.

I'm feeling pretty good about life right now! I did a pseudo-brick workout (I'm calling it pseudo because there was about 5 hours between the two! :p) with my track workout this morning, then a spin class at noon. I had a healthy breakfast (and DS ate a balanced, healthy breakfast, too!), my favorite salad for lunch, I've got plans with friends the next 3 days, and a race on Sunday!

The triathlon that I'm doing on Sunday is the one that started my addiction last year. I'm really looking forward to being able to compare apples to apples and see how much improvement I've made in the past year (although they changed/shortened the bike course about 2 miles :mad:smile:. Plus, it's an all-womens tri and the atmosphere at these races is just phenomenal! It benefits the Breast Cancer Research Fund, so I want to race to honor my friend who died of breast cancer last fall (my age, with a 1 yo daughter :Cry:smile: AND I found out today that there are two women in my spin class that are both 8 year survivors (:yahoo:), so I told them that I would race for them as well!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sev - You will be fine in your 5K!! There's still more than a month of training left!

itri - Wow. What an emotional day that will be!

I'm having massive nutritional issues which is making running challenging. AUGH. Gotta sort out the food thing before I can get back out running. :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna