• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Running: A crazy person's idea of 'FUN'

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dang it!!! The run today messed up my knees. Both of them are sore and feeling out of sorts. :(

Jilly

Staff member
I'm sore too, but from paddling this AM. We have a great gal that leads stretches after each practise. She wasn't there today, and coach mentioned - stretch please. One of guys made the statement - stretch or use Advil, mounts to the same thing. Well I stretched and after lunch took some Advil too. So we can be sore together!!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ICE!!!

Ice is the magic cure for most things. Trust me, I have experience in these things. :wink:

It takes your body a while to get used to the pounding that running subjects it to. Ice after every run until your knees start adapting!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am taking crazy to the next level.

This weekend I was invited and accepted to run on one of those nutty 12-person relay teams that run a 180+ mile race over the last weekend in September! :eek: Each runner runs three 3 to 9-mile legs, one leg in the dark, for a total of at least 13 mies. Am trying not to hyperventilate as I type....:becky:

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This weekend I was invited and accepted to run on one of those nutty 12-person relay teams that run a 180+ mile race over the last weekend in September! :eek: Each runner runs three 3 to 9-mile legs, one leg in the dark, for a total of at least 13 mies. Am trying not to hyperventilate as I type....:becky:

Ragnar has a endurance relay in Utah that's very similar, but it's in June. I've heard the races are really fun! I had an opening on one of my friend's teams this year, but there's no way I could be ready in time so I bailed. Maybe someday.

I'm excited to hear about your experience!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
trady - I think the Utah race is the flagship race, so to speak. It looks like this is the first year for the DC race. I'll definitely keep you posted. Right now we're submitting in our 10K times to the team captain, and based on the emails that are flying around, I'm not the slowest (e.g., I am not going to get the easiest legs! Ack.). This morning's 4-mile run in 70% humidity after a week off made me think otherwise...

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ran the Bolder Boulder yesterday. For those of you unfamiliar, the BB is a HUGE 10k road race (as in, one of the largest timed road races in the country). Yesterday's tally was over 54,000 registered participants. It's usually a ton of fun, lots of great bands along the course, people running in costume, great spectators (it runs through several neighborhoods, so people just hang out in front of their houses cheering and offering goodies...cookies, bacon, gin and tonics! Yesterday, one of the houses was offering anyone who went down their slip n' slide a margarita!). The weather was perfect for running, around 50 and slightly drizzly, but not so great for spectating.

I had a decent race. I was sick all day Sunday (I suspect food poisoning from Saturday's bbq) so my pre-race nutrition was shot all to heck. A few saltines, half a banana, a little pasta and some gingerale is not enough fuel for a 10k!!! I was just happy my stomach was settled enough for me to actually run. I was originally hoping to run around a 9 minute pace and try to come in around 55 minutes, but I revised my expectations after being sick to: a) finish b) run, not walk. I was hoping to be able to run 10 minute pace and ideally, come in under an hour. I finished in 59:26, which I'm pretty darn happy with, all things considered!

I stuck around for over three hours after I was done so that I could watch the finish of the pro races. Ryan Hall (men's Olympic trials marathon champ) and Deena Kastor (women's champ) were both running, and I *really* wanted to see Deena Kastor run in person. Since they're both focused on the marathon right now, they weren't really in contention to win the races, but it was still cool to see them. Both races came down to a sprint at the end. For the men, a Moroccan outsprinted two Kenyans, and for the women, it was a Kenyan who outkicked an Ethiopian. Pretty cool!

I highly recommend the Bolder Boulder, it's an extremely well-organized race, especially for its size, and a ton of fun! :thumbsup:

And of course, I have to run it again next year, hopefully without food poisoning! :becky:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The DIVAS have inspired me. Though I've been running for many years (let's say longer than some Divas have been alive and before there were specific running shoes, let alone women's running shoes), I really have been a slacker, especially the last year. I have been running, but have been on a huge plateau---which means, I would pound the dogs, but slow and plodding, and sometimes only a few times a week. In winter, skiing bumped running, so it dived to once or twice a week. Then my European vacation, where eating and drinking elbowed out running (I did run---but only five times in two weeks). Sore knees, tired--all the excuses.

And my skiing was worse last season than ever---in part, because I had not worked on fitness or core strength and running the minimum to keep going.

The trail running is great---but in reality, I don't want to drive to the mountain trail and I'm worried about my knees taking a pounding on the down hills. So, I'm working on the flats on the trails in parks and roadsides.

I'm on a regime. Ran 3 today, 3 yesterday, 2.8 the day before, etc. followed by quad strengthening with a recombent bike for a few miles afterward. I plan to work in a few strength training classes as well.

It's funny that the old sore knees, which kept me from running more this year, are fine with the added mileage and interval training to up my speed.

Thanks Divas. Hope I can keep it up.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I, on the other hand, have been diverted from running by a nasty case of plantar fascitis. :( I'm cycling like a mad woman though so still keeping my fitness level up higher than it's been in years. :D Next ski season is going to rock after a summer of all of this.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My knees are still bothering me from last week so I haven't run in a week. I have been having problems finding someone to watch the kids anyway. :( I'm thinking about picking up some Earth running shoes (do they have them?) before I run again. Definite alignment issues that are alleviated when I wear my Earth shoes so perhaps that will help? Need to get back in the game... now it's not likely I'll be able to run the entire 5K I signed up for at the end of July. :( But I'll still be happy just to participate!

itri - Congrats! Sorry about the food poisoning but you did great anyway!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sev - I can't remember. Have you been fitted for running shoes or are you running in whatever sneakers you've got lying around the house? It's not as time-consuming as being fitted for ski boots, but definitely worth the time. I don't want to bore you if you already know all this, plus, I'm not a biomechanic guru, but generally there are different kinds of running shoes to accommodate the three general levels of pronation while running/walking: motion control shoes for over-pronators (foot collapses inward while running/walking); stability shoes neutral gaits and mild over-pronators; and cushioned shoes for under-pronators/supinator (foot rolls outward). Being in the wrong shoe could definitely be affecting how your knees are feeling (but if you're already in the right shoe, it could be another overuse issue).

Here's a brief article from Runners World and an overview on Wikipedia.

You've got almost two whole months before the end of July! You still have plenty of time to meet your goal!

iTri - food poisoning is the worst, and to get it right before a race = the pits! I find 10 minute miles to be my default goal when I'm on an usually hilly course or when the weather is not ideal. Good for you on the finish and time, given the circumstances!

ETA: another thought for you, Sev. Maybe try different terrain or a treadmill. General consensus is that concrete (sidewalk) is harder than asphalt (road). Look to running/walking on dirt or gravel if you can, or at least mixing it up a little. :smile: Good luck!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sev~ a big YEAH THAT to everything Pequenita said. I was just going to post something similar. A good pair of running shoes can make all the difference in the world. Your feet are the base for the rest of the body and if something's not right at the feet, it can throw things off all the way up the chain. I know finances are a little tight right now, but I highly recommend finding a good specialty running store in your area and having them fit you. The best stores have a video analysis system where they put you on a treadmill and videotape you running in different types of shoes and then look at it to determine what your feet are doing in a given pair of shoes and if you need more/less stability. They also have a generous return/exchange policy where if a pair of shoes isn't working for you for whatever reason (not comfortable, gives you blisters, causing shin pain), they will exchange the shoes for a different style, even if they've been run in. My shop took back a pair of shoes with over 30 outdoor miles on them...and it was MY fault that I was having problems (I got my orthotics recovered and the extra thickness from the new foam was pushing my feet up and causing bruises on the tops of my feet!). I :love: my running store!

Also second the advice to try and find a soft surface to run on if you can, at least until the problem gets under control and you can start working your way back onto a harder surface.

And don't forget to ICE!!!!!!! Seriously, ice is the magic cure for a good portion of the world's problems! :becky: I take an ice bath after every run of 8 or more miles, and it makes me feel SO much better. I recover much quicker and my aches and pains don't feel so bad!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just did my first brick workout of the year. Ouch. For the non-triathletes out there, a brick workout is where you do a multi-discipline workout to prep for a tri. So swim/bike, bike/run, swim/run.

I did a 30 mile bike ride followed by a short 2.25 mile run. The bike ride was MUCH longer than I've ever done to date, and it was a challenge. This was also my first bike ride of the year not pulling DS behind me in the trailer, so that was kind of nice. I was flying! I forgot how dead your legs feel coming off the bike and going into the run, so that was tough, but I'm pretty happy with how it all went overall. I have my first tri next weekend (sprint distance--500yd swim, 12 mile bike, 5k run) and I feel a little more prepared for that now, although I'm feeling LESS prepared and more intimidated for the Olympic distance tri I'm signed up for in July (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike, 10k run)! :eek: Must. get. training. program. NOW. :becky:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey goodluck itri! I've got my first Oly coming up in 3 weeks too. No rest for the weary until after that!

K.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sev~ a big YEAH THAT to everything Pequenita said.

Well, other than all the typos and missing words that I noticed when I was re-reading it right now. Gah.

Tri's are one of the reasons I have not purchased a bike! At least being bike-less gives me an excuse not to do a tri. Heh. People who do triathlons are the true crazies! :becky: Good luck next weekend, itri, and kimmy in a few weeks.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm planning on hitting this store this week as it was highly recommended the last time I considered doing the couch to 5K (2 yrs ago). I've been running in a pair of Salomon trail runners on dirt/gravel and some asphalt. Knees were totally fine the first few times, but weren't right from the start of the last training session I did 1 week ago. I definitely have a pronation problem because I have flexible flat feet (and my shoes always wear really funny from that). I was trying to save money but clearly, if this is something I want to continue doing, I will have to fork over the $ for the right shoes.

I did walk 1 mile today on my parents' treadmill but my knees weren't too happy with that. Really need to pick up some new ice packs. I lost the ones I had.... :oops: Been taking ibuprofen and that helps.

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My first half-marathon is in 6 days... I'm about to have kittens I'm so nervous.

itri - I wanted to tell you I finally broke down and got a Garmin. It's the 405. I love it, but it just makes me realize how much I really suck!

I'm hoping to just finish next weekend. If I come in under 2:30:00 I'll be happy with that. I know with the way my side cramping has been I'm going to have to walk now and then, but I won't give up. I never do.

Saturday was my last big training day, I ran ~8 miles and I was dead tired after that because of the heat. I hope that's not a true indication of how tired I'll be next weekend also. Then, today I biked for ~10 miles as my cross training. Now I wind down and hope to hell my pulled abdominal muscles from side cramps heal this week a bit.

My training partner finished the San Diego marathon today, so that has lit a fire under my a$$.

signed - insanity

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really need to pick up some new ice packs. I lost the ones I had.... :oops: Been taking ibuprofen and that helps.
A cheap and easy ice pack is a bag of frozen peas or corn. Just make sure you mark them so you don't accidentally cook them for dinner! :becky:

People who do triathlons are the true crazies! :becky:
:laugh: You're not kidding, sister!

My first half-marathon is in 6 days... I'm about to have kittens I'm so nervous.

itri - I wanted to tell you I finally broke down and got a Garmin. It's the 405. I love it, but it just makes me realize how much I really suck!
Ooh, you got the 405...I'm jealous!!! :drool: It does kind of ground you a little, but it's SO great for training. And I've been able to see huge amounts of improvement with it.

You are totally going to ROCK your half!!! You're ready. You've put in the training, now's the time to put it to the test! Try to get a good night's sleep 2 nights before the race...that's when it really counts, and if you're anything like me you won't sleep well the night before! You WILL finish, and you WILL meet your goals! :cheer:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna