• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Running: A crazy person's idea of 'FUN'

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't run, I never have. I once told my mom that the only way I'd run was if the bartender called last call.

This year I've been training for a triathlon and as such have been... running. Ugh. It's hard. It's hard, and painful, and.... fun?

I mean, it's not my main sport, but I find it oddly excited, and plus it is so easy to do whenever you have a free hour and a pair of shoes, and plus you get the added bonus of being able to be competitive, whether against others or just yourself.

Today I'm doing a 5 mile race. I've never run 5 miles in my life before, so we'll see how this gos. I'm totally looking forward to it, and in my mind I'm planning future races.... Broad street in 2008, a half-mary in 2009, a marathon in 2010.... what on earth has happened to the girl who never liked to run?

It's like I don't even know myself anymore...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It takes a lot of courage to start something new, follow through with all that entails, and then enter a race! Good luck in your 5K! No matter where you place, it's pretty clear that you're already a winner.

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm doing my very first tri-athelon at the end of the month. All of my friends and family think that I'm crazy, but it's been something in the back of my mind that I've wanted to do!

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh running it's truly a love-hate relationship.When I can't run I want to run.When I can run I don't want to! But I love the feeling when I finish a good training run!! Good Luck to anyone that is racing!!

T

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So today I fell while running! Who does that?

I was 3 miles into my 12 miler-classic superman flight.I saw the green lawn and directed my body for it.A much softer landing than the concrete sidewalk.I got up and finished my run bruised but not broken!! T

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good grief. Good thing there was grass for you to land on!

The woman directly in front of me stumbled about .5 to .75 miles into my 10K back in June. It would have been catastrophic had she actually fallen b/c runners were all packed in and there was nowhere for anyone to go -- concrete barriers on both sides of the course.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Boy fell while running the other day. It was hot and he was tired and running on some sidewalk that had shifted due to tree roots and took a spill. He had cuts all down his hands and legs from the fall, so you're not the only one!!

K.

SnoBunny

Certified Ski Diva
I started running last year, and one of my friends sweet-talked me into doing a half-marathon in a few weeks. this is the WORST idea anyone has ever had -- I'm so wimpy I had to take remedial gym when I was a kid. seriously.

I'm up to 9 or 10 (very, very slow) miles -- tcarey, how do you build up to going so far?

schudz

Diva in Training
Check out the book Chi Running by Danny Dreyer. It's a great resource for us non-runners with good intentions to add more distance for any occassion. I've actually, slowly, started to think of myself as a runner, rather than a recreational jogger. While I haven't signed up for any ultra-marathons, a 10k race almost sounds like fun.

SnoBunny

Certified Ski Diva
I actually met him once, at a race in CA. he kind of seemed like either a person at total peace or a nutcase . . . but I didn't buy the book. interesting that you say it's worth it -- maybe I'll check it out!

Thanks!

schudz

Diva in Training
Well, I think that anyone who runs ultra-marathons for fun is slightly nutty...you might check your local library for the book. That way, no loss if it's not your style.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Snow bunny!
Congrats on becoming a runner! Building for a1/2 marathon just takes times.Slowly build your miles over the course of 16 or 18 weeks.Keep your long runs SLOW! It's your first 1/2 so the goal is just to finish,not to break any records!

Good Luck!
T

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started running 2 years ago. I was never, ever a runner before that, but I did go to the gym and worked out, just not on a treadmill or on the road. I started out thinking "I'm going to die, I'm going to die." Neighbors would see me and I could barely wave. Now, I only stop running because I'm out of time. I love it. I started doing it because I needed maximum excerise for minimum time. I run for my health, not for competition. Don't knock it until you try it.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I know that most everyone is thinking of the prospect of skiing these days....but in a fit of lunacy, I signed up for an all-women's winter running maintenance program that starts Tuesday night. I've never run through the winter before, partially due to laziness and partially due to the lack of daylight. My thought is that there is safety in numbers running on the Mall at night...except then a friend of mine pointed out that my logic works only if I'm not the slow gazelle that gets picked off by the predator. Anyway, I'm just hoping it doesn't rain and that this wasn't a bad idea!

Marigee

Angel Diva
I wish there were something like that near me. Sometimes the only time I have free is in the evening and it gets dark so early. I don't want to run by myself in the dark. It gives me a good excuse not to run - but I really want to get in some exercise. I don't really like the gym much. plus it adds about 45 minutes - hour to my workout in transportation time.

The only time I run is after my dog....if she's running away! :doh:

Otherwise....you will not catch me running! Just not a runner! :noidea:

Marigee

Angel Diva
I don't frequently quote myself....but oh man, it's raining right now....

:(

weather.com says the rain is supposed to stop after lunch - it has alrady stopped here in Fairfax!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna