• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Playful but stable 90-something mm ski?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
K2 Fulluvit 95ti 170. I actually wanted to demo this when I got my Santa Anas but couldn't find it. Still interested!

I skied the fulluvit at Mammoth Summer of 2017. Skied it 2 days. It Was excellent in the piles, carved well, They were playful but tails just seemed a tad stiff to me, a bit too 'plankish' for me.

I know they are expensive but I'm having an awesome good time on the Renoun Z-90's and they have a 100day money back guarantee.

Those vantage skis are pretty nice regardless ugly top sheets. And I know it's a broken record, but the all time winner Black Pearl 88's, really are as fun as everyone says. Had I not got the Z-90's I would have bought the BP 88's and sold my old BP's

I am intrigued by the Z-90 - who wouldn’t be? That said, the $$$ are daunting and I am a bit confused on length - 165 is short but 174 with not much rocker is a lot of ski.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Look for the Bushwacker OR the Brahma CA, which is the same ski.

Oh, I hear you on that! Even one day is too much for me unless the snow is super soft and deep.
I just looked up the Sheeva 9 - that is going on the list! Thanks for the recommendation! How did it ski for you compared to the BP88? Above you said it was a different ski than the BP88 - can you expand on that at all?

The Brahma CA is the same as the BP88, or similar? Usually with Blizzard it is not just a top sheet difference but perhaps they have changed things up. If it is the same that would help finding demos.

Last edited:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I"m on the 165cm z-90 it doesn't ski short, imo
Thanks! With my height 165 just looks and sounds short to me, but profile likely makes the difference.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just looked up the Sheeva 9 - that is going on the list! Thanks for the recommendation! How did it ski for you compared to the BP88? Above you said it was a different ski than the BP88 - can you expand on that at all?

The Brahma CA is the same as the BP88, or similar? Usually with Blizzard it is not just a top sheet difference but perhaps they have changed things up. If it is the same that would help finding demos.
So, the Sheeva is what I would consider more of a "narrow powder ski" that holds its own on groomers and is a tad more "serious" than the BP88 probably due to the two strips of titanal it has in it, which taper towards the front and back of the ski, so the tips and tails have no metal in them. (When I say serious, I'm really referring to more stability in variable conditions.)

I believe the Sheevas also ski shorter, which makes sense as they are more of a "twin tip" design and have a lot more rocker. So, a 159 BP vs a 164 Sheeva makes them feel pretty comparable. The mount point on the Sheevas is also quite a bit further forward, which makes them more pivoty, if that makes sense.

I love both. I've often thought maybe I'd go to the Sheeva 9 for my daily driver, because they do have a different feel than the BPs, but the BPs are just so.much.fun.

And yes, the Brahma CA is the same from what I understand. Here is the SkiEssentials review of them. https://www.skiessentials.com/2018-ski-test?skis=blizzard-brahma-ca

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Reading these posts I really want to try the Sheeva 9..... comes in 148 but think I might prefer (and will try) the 157 especially if skis short. Read a review that they are excellent in moguls....

lisamamot

Angel Diva
So, the Sheeva is what I would consider more of a "narrow powder ski" that holds its own on groomers and is a tad more "serious" than the BP88 probably due to the two strips of titanal it has in it, which taper towards the front and back of the ski, so the tips and tails have no metal in them. (When I say serious, I'm really referring to more stability in variable conditions.)

I believe the Sheevas also ski shorter, which makes sense as they are more of a "twin tip" design and have a lot more rocker. So, a 159 BP vs a 164 Sheeva makes them feel pretty comparable. The mount point on the Sheevas is also quite a bit further forward, which makes them more pivoty, if that makes sense.

I love both. I've often thought maybe I'd go to the Sheeva 9 for my daily driver, because they do have a different feel than the BPs, but the BPs are just so.much.fun.

And yes, the Brahma CA is the same from what I understand. Here is the SkiEssentials review of them. https://www.skiessentials.com/2018-ski-test?skis=blizzard-brahma-ca
Thanks so much! I did post a question on the Ski Essentials review of the Brahma CA (too funny you linked it in) and the word is the Brahma CA is "essentially the same" but does have a different wood core and it ever so slightly heavier.

I am definitely going to put both the Sheeva 9 172 and the Black Pearl 166 and 173 on my list to try. I put a question out on a Blizzard FB page and learned this (from someone that works for Blizzard) about the difference between the two ski lines:
"differences between Sheeva's and Black Pearls lie in the construction which will give these collections a completely different feel on the hill. The Sheeva's are made with Carbon Flipcore D.R.T. which is a specifically shaped piece of Titanal in the ski. It makes the ski super stable underfoot with good edge hold but makes the tips and tails less rigid - making them easier and super fun in softer snow. The Black Pearls feature Carbon Flipcore W.S.D. - a unidirectional piece of carbon that runs the full length of the ski. This makes them lighter but also gives them great integrity giving you a more precise feel from tip to tail. You will feel the full ski on the snow."

I'm still dreaming about that Elan Ripstick 94W.
Wowee, what a fun ski.
I would frankly trade both my Atomic and K2 for those Elans.
I am completely sold on trying these as well - I trust if you love it I likely will too!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks so much! I did post a question on the Ski Essentials review of the Brahma CA (too funny you linked it in) and the word is the Brahma CA is "essentially the same" but does have a different wood core and it ever so slightly heavier.

I am definitely going to put both the Sheeva 9 172 and the Black Pearl 166 and 173 on my list to try. I put a question out on a Blizzard FB page and learned this (from someone that works for Blizzard) about the difference between the two ski lines:
"differences between Sheeva's and Black Pearls lie in the construction which will give these collections a completely different feel on the hill. The Sheeva's are made with Carbon Flipcore D.R.T. which is a specifically shaped piece of Titanal in the ski. It makes the ski super stable underfoot with good edge hold but makes the tips and tails less rigid - making them easier and super fun in softer snow. The Black Pearls feature Carbon Flipcore W.S.D. - a unidirectional piece of carbon that runs the full length of the ski. This makes them lighter but also gives them great integrity giving you a more precise feel from tip to tail. You will feel the full ski on the snow."

I am completely sold on trying these as well - I trust if you love it I likely will too!
Nice detective work! Great descriptions of how the two skis are different, and I concur with how they say they handle.

And now I also want to try the Ripstick, just for kicks and grins :becky:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Right... me too. I inquired about the 86 Ripstick and everyone said the 94 is much better.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe take a spin on the Icelantic Oracle or Maiden?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I found that the Head Joy series had an awesomely short turning radius and were super light, they come in lots of different waist dimensions.
Thanks Jill - I know you love and totally rock your Great Joys - love watching you ski! For some reason the series has never spoken to me when I have demoed. That said I really liked the Kore 93 that has similar construction but a different tip/tail shape.

I read a comparison between the Wild Joy and the Kore 93 - the skinny was that the Joy can do it all with a more frontside slant with its traditional shape/tail, and the Kore is great if you will be looking to hit the bumps and trees as well as the frontside.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Maybe take a spin on the Icelantic Oracle or Maiden?
I have never been on an Icelantic ski but if I was shopping top sheet, the Maiden 91 for the WIN!!! If I come across them at a demo I will absolutely take them for a spin - if nothing else they will make me so happy just looking at them :thumb:

1542717326088.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
@contesstant what size BP88 do you ski? I'm looking forward to finally trying them out and wondering if I should stick to the same length I have in the old BP which is 166. I'd assume that to be the case since I think 159 would be too short, but just curious! The place I feel the length in my old bulls is in the trees where I am less confident, but I love the length everywhere else for stability at speed in the east.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I sized down to the 159. This version does NOT ski as short as the previous version, plus I also wanted the added maneuverability of the shorter length. One thing I've discovered about length and stability is, unless you go REALLY short, or it's a ski that skis really short, well, they don't feel unstable at ALL, it just takes a few runs to get used to them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I sized down to the 159. This version does NOT ski as short as the previous version, plus I also wanted the added maneuverability of the shorter length. One thing I've discovered about length and stability is, unless you go REALLY short, or it's a ski that skis really short, well, they don't feel unstable at ALL, it just takes a few runs to get used to them.

Thank you for this info! I'll be sure to give both lengths a try to compare them based on this!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga