• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Playful but stable 90-something mm ski?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I am 5'9"/140# advanced. I have the 2016 Santa Ana 100 177 (pre metal) which is my New England powder and take west ski. My daughter and I share skis and we also own and love the 2013 Dynastar Legend Exclusive Eden 165 and 172 (85mm), and the 2015 Atomic Elysian 168 (precursor to the Vantage 95 C but a twin tip).

On a trip to Utah last March the conditions were actually quite firm and my knees were talking to me by the end of the week of digging in my Santa Anas. I love them, but would like to entertain something narrower and a bit shorter to add to the bunch.

I am interested in a ski that would be very happy playing in the bumps/trees, that can handle some new snow, but that won't kill my knees if we end-up on scrape-y groomers. I prefer a ski with a short turning radius but that is stable while also being playful..no super damp skis need apply.

Skis I have demoed
  • Volkl Secret 170 (2018) - nice solid ski, lacked a bit on the fun factor for me
  • Head Kore 93 171 (2018) - I soared around on the groomers and had a blast - very fun. Lightweight but stable. I have some concern about how it would be in the bumps/trees (stiff tail) and I know I would need another demo on this.
  • Santa Ana 93 169 (2018 with metal) - length is ok, the version with metal lost some fun factor for me.
  • Atomic Vantage 95 C W 170 (2017) - Elysian re-invented. this was a nice ski but something about it just didn't sell me. They have made some changes again and it is the 97 C W now - I would have to do some serious soul searching to even consider the plum/brown top sheet. I know I shouldn't care but they wouldn't make me happy.
I am looking to come up with a list of skis to demo but demo days are not looking good for me right now; I may need to search out specific skis to demo direct from a mountain.

On my list to demo that I think fit my bill - please add to it and provide feedback on any you have skied!
  • Elan Ripstick 94 W 170
  • K2 Fulluvit 95ti 170. I actually wanted to demo this when I got my Santa Anas but couldn't find it. Still interested!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
K2 Fulluvit 95ti 170. I actually wanted to demo this when I got my Santa Anas but couldn't find it. Still interested!

I skied the fulluvit at Mammoth Summer of 2017. Skied it 2 days. It Was excellent in the piles, carved well, They were playful but tails just seemed a tad stiff to me, a bit too 'plankish' for me.

I know they are expensive but I'm having an awesome good time on the Renoun Z-90's and they have a 100day money back guarantee.

Those vantage skis are pretty nice regardless ugly top sheets. And I know it's a broken record, but the all time winner Black Pearl 88's, really are as fun as everyone says. Had I not got the Z-90's I would have bought the BP 88's and sold my old BP's

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Elan Ripstick 94 W 170
  • K2 Fulluvit 95ti 170. I actually wanted to demo this when I got my Santa Anas but couldn't find it. Still interested!
I demo'd the Ripstick 94W in 163 late last March. WINNER. Lousy conditions, too - rain-soaked re-frozen. They shone.

I own the Atomic 95 C (170), but not the women's version. Thus, the color scheme is a little less weird. Same specs and construction as women's. This year's model length is 172.

I own the K2 Fulluvit (170) (14m turning radius!), but the earlier version, which was 98 wide.

All 3 above would do okay in harder snow, with my balance going to the Elan, 2nd to the Atomic. All 3 are very happy in "real" snow. The 98 wide K2 is my "powder" ski, for whatever that's worth in the Northeast. They are quite soft.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Going to rep J Skis here and suggest that the J Skis Whipit should be on your list. It is an all mountain ski with a 90mm waist. I do not yet have the ability to ski the ski to its full abilities, but I loved how responsive and solid it was in all kinds of Vermont conditions. Once I got to the point where I could comfortably ski on these skis, I sold my Volkl Yumis and never looked back.

Jilly

Staff member
If you knees were bothering you, maybe less than the 90, as in the BP 88. I had the old Temptation 88 and I thought there were a little stiff. The new Experience 88W is not so stiff. Haven't had a chance to demo them yet.

MSL - again we have the same love of skis...95C from Atomic. Mine are last years. Demo'd them in WB the March before and wanted to bring them home with me.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BP88 (They are a fabulous compliment to the Santa Anas you have, as I also have those.)
Sheeva 9.
There were a couple K2s I got out on last spring that were also fun, but I'd need to dig up which ones.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BP88 (They are a fabulous compliment to the Santa Anas you have, as I also have those.)
Sheeva 9.
There were a couple K2s I got out on last spring that were also fun, but I'd need to dig up which ones.
Curious -Did you try and review the Sheeva 9's? Also looking at k2's so curious which ones you demoed?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did ski the Sheeva 9s and they were literally a narrower version of my Sheeva 20s, which are a hoot! I mostly demoed narrower K2s, but I did demo some that were 82 under foot.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I did ski the Sheeva 9s and they were literally a narrower version of my Sheeva 20s, which are a hoot! I mostly demoed narrower K2s, but I did demo some that were 82 under foot.
Hmm wonder if Sheeva 9 similar to BP88?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Guess I need to try the Sheeva 9 then.... Also really like Wild Joy but think it was @SnowHot who recommended I try the Total Joy..... Loved loved the Great Joy !

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you knees were bothering you, maybe less than the 90, as in the BP 88. I had the old Temptation 88 and I thought there were a little stiff. The new Experience 88W is not so stiff. Haven't had a chance to demo them yet.

MSL - again we have the same love of skis...95C from Atomic. Mine are last years. Demo'd them in WB the March before and wanted to bring them home with me.

I was gonna say, I usually find that width has more impact on my knees talking to me than stiffness.

Jilly

Staff member
Yup, trying to get a wide ski on edge with bad knees on hardpack is not going to make a short day to the hot tub for pain. Know all about it.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am looking to come up with a list of skis to demo but demo days are not looking good for me right now; I may need to search out specific skis to demo direct from a mountain.
I know Wachusett isn't your usual hill,and who knows what conditions will be, but they have their annual "demo fest" on Dec. 8. Lift ticket and demos for $29.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe demo:
Black Crows Camox just based on how many people say it's the ultimate EC all-mtn ski, etc., etc.?
Volkl 90eight? Fat but carvy, but I haven't skied it enough, and I'm too intermediate, to recommend anything but giving it a try.
I like my Volkl RTM 84s for hardpack (as I've said ad nauseam) but find them reasonably versatile. But again: plodding intermediate here.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I know Wachusett isn't your usual hill,and who knows what conditions will be, but they have their annual "demo fest" on Dec. 8. Lift ticket and demos for $29.
Unfortunately my daughter is having surgery on Dec 7th which rules out the Ken Jones demo day at Loon on the 7th and the likely the Wachusett demo on the 8th hence why demo days will be tough for me this early season. I cannot make it up to Sunday River over Thanksgiving either....sigh.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Sheeva 9.
I absolutely want to try the BP88 - frustrated that reps lately haven’t even had the 166 let alone the 173 at demo days - ridiculous. I will look into he Sheeva 9.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yup, trying to get a wide ski on edge with bad knees on hardpack is not going to make a short day to the hot tub for pain. Know all about it.
I am fine for a couple days but five full consecutive days of skiing (first to last chair most days) in those conditions on the Santa Ana 100 was rough on my aging knees.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I absolutely want to try the BP88 - frustrated that reps lately haven’t even had the 166 let alone the 173 at demo days - ridiculous. I will look into he Sheeva 9.

Look for the Bushwacker OR the Brahma CA, which is the same ski.

I am fine for a couple days but five full consecutive days of skiing (first to last chair most days) in those conditions on the Santa Ana 100 was rough on my aging knees.
Oh, I hear you on that! Even one day is too much for me unless the snow is super soft and deep.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I demo'd the Ripstick 94W in 163 late last March. WINNER. Lousy conditions, too - rain-soaked re-frozen. They shone.

I own the Atomic 95 C (170), but not the women's version. Thus, the color scheme is a little less weird. Same specs and construction as women's. This year's model length is 172.

I own the K2 Fulluvit (170) (14m turning radius!), but the earlier version, which was 98 wide.

All 3 above would do okay in harder snow, with my balance going to the Elan, 2nd to the Atomic. All 3 are very happy in "real" snow. The 98 wide K2 is my "powder" ski, for whatever that's worth in the Northeast. They are quite soft.
The K2 Fulluvit 95 is a ti and now has some metal - they are apparently quite a different ski than the 98 was. I am not necessarily looking for a hard snow ski just something that can handle that too - emphasis would be on versatility and it being a friendly ski in bowls, trees. You and I enjoy many of the same skis so I appreciate your input!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna