• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opinions wanted - new ski choices

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @Gilly I do ski the Liberty V76w's sadly I think they are discontinued. I LOVE THEM. I have been skiing them in all conditions in the East and only when over 6" of snow I pull out my Renoun Z-90's another amazing all Mt Ski- 90 under foot vs 76 Under foot can tire old knees.

Personally I don't like Volkl's they just seem so planky and feel like I'm on for the ride instead of skiing the ski. I like light, responsive skis that when I drive the tips/skis they go- (I have race background)

Since you love your Sheeva's why not try a narrower Blizzard Ski? I find that once I 'love' a ski from a company I pretty much Love all their skis. The Blizzard Alight series are really fun carving skis.

I have old 2016 Black Pearls they are my spring bump rock skis now- still fun but I got them short (159) to play in the slush. I demo'd the 2020 BP's I wasn't thrilled they seemed too planky to me. I did love the 2019 BP's though- the rep told me I"d lust after them- I did but had purchased my Z-90's

Hope you get to demo more!

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
Everyone this is so helpful. You are all amazing!

@nopoleskier REI actually still has the Liberty 76V. I opted away from that one just because it was so narrow. Being out west no one thinks of narrow skis so I got encouraged away from it when I purchased the Kenjas.

@elemmac I'm super fortunate and have been able to ski with him a couple times on these skis. He has been nice and told me to ski them and progress with them. His body language is telling me he is just being nice and thinks they are too stiff. My local hill has a friday women's clinic, which is so great. This instructor often teaches but today it was a woman I haven't skied with since last year. Bless her she told me flat out that she thinks they are too stiff. She is heavier herself and her experience with them was board like too

I'm clearly going to be on a demoing mission next season.
BP88 & 82s
SA88
Yumi 84
these seem like the top contenders

Any thoughts on Head Kore 87 or the Elan Ripstick?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've really only heard good things about the Ripsticks, so probably a good contender. Head Kore 87 - lightweight ski, i demoed it, enjoyed it a lot. I also tried the Kore 93 but wasn't really feeling that one as much. I definitely rate the Kore 87. I slightly preferred the santa anas out of all the skis i tried but the kore was up there.

That's a list of great skis you've got there!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Hi @Gilly I do ski the Liberty V76w's sadly I think they are discontinued. I LOVE THEM. I have been skiing them in all conditions in the East and only when over 6" of snow I pull out my Renoun Z-90's another amazing all Mt Ski- 90 under foot vs 76 Under foot can tire old knees.

Personally I don't like Volkl's they just seem so planky and feel like I'm on for the ride instead of skiing the ski. I like light, responsive skis that when I drive the tips/skis they go- (I have race background)

Since you love your Sheeva's why not try a narrower Blizzard Ski? I find that once I 'love' a ski from a company I pretty much Love all their skis. The Blizzard Alight series are really fun carving skis.

I have old 2016 Black Pearls they are my spring bump rock skis now- still fun but I got them short (159) to play in the slush. I demo'd the 2020 BP's I wasn't thrilled they seemed too planky to me. I did love the 2019 BP's though- the rep told me I"d lust after them- I did but had purchased my Z-90's

Hope you get to demo more!
I am on my third Kenja. The newest one is 2020. Kenja are stiff skis. They make the same skis for men called Kendo. Kenja just have the feminine design. That is the only difference. Yumi are much more forgiving skis and narrower, which make it easier to make small turns. However, not as stable at high speed, but easier on bumps.

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
@Mudgirl630 it is all so personalized but I'd love to hear what keeps bringing you back to the kenja?
When I was skiing today I was chatting with the instructor on pretty steep terrain with her above me so I was getting a great view of her skis camber flex and it drove home that I never feel much of any flex from the kenja - they just don't have that much camber to give do they? I will say now that I have 6 days on them I'm starting to appreciate them more and I'm less focused on the board feeling.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 it is all so personalized but I'd love to hear what keeps bringing you back to the kenja?
When I was skiing today I was chatting with the instructor on pretty steep terrain with her above me so I was getting a great view of her skis camber flex and it drove home that I never feel much of any flex from the kenja - they just don't have that much camber to give do they? I will say now that I have 6 days on them I'm starting to appreciate them more and I'm less focused on the board feeling.
Camber for Kenja is pretty average for other likes. What I love about them is the stiffness without going too far. Hence, stable, specially at high speed. You do need to make effort on them. Otherwise, they will take off on you. These are not good skis for lazy skier. After all, these are made for advanced and experts, so you do need to pay attentions and ski them. I also ski a lot of bumps. Again, you need to SKI them, but reward is stable sold, also nice rebound.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva

@nopoleskier REI actually still has the Liberty 76V. I opted away from that one just because it was so narrow. Being out west no one thinks of narrow skis so I got encouraged away from it when I purchased the Kenjas.

@elemmac I'm super fortunate and have been able to ski with him a couple times on these skis. He has been nice and told me to ski them and progress with them. His body language is telling me he is just being nice and thinks they are too stiff. My local hill has a friday women's clinic, which is so great. This instructor often teaches but today it was a woman I haven't skied with since last year. Bless her she told me flat out that she thinks they are too stiff. She is heavier herself and her experience with them was board like too

BP88 & 82s
SA88
Yumi 84

Head Kore are softer. More forgiving. I am going to get another pair in mid 70s next season. I will ski around 140 days this season. I am already at 117, so I will wait to demo some. I ski in Aspen. Many of us have narrower waist skis here. It seems very fun, quicker, and easier on bumps.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski the BP82s in the Northeast and have a lot of fun on them. A great ski priced lower than one would expect is the Liberty line. Paging @nopoleskier @Olesya Chornoguz and other Liberty skiers!
Liberty V76 is a great ski, I highly recommend it I own it in men's unisex version. @nopoleskier owns a women's version of V76. It's a narrow and fairly forgiving ski. Not sure about V82, have not tried it. Like @nopoleskier pointed out above, they V series skis are being discontinued this year. Liberty makes wider all-mountain skis - V82 and Evolv 82 and 88 I think. I have Liberty Evolv 88 men's, they are a stiff ski, I would not recommend it to a woman, unless she is my size - I am 6'1" and 176-180 pounds.

I used to own Kenjas 5 years ago, they are changed since then. I loved Kenjas on groomers but in bumps and soft snow they were not as fun. I could probably ski them well in bumps now, but I am on Kastle FX85 currently and I like them.

Since you are in Montana Nordica Santa Ana may be fun or a narrower Blizzard ski, like suggested above.

Last edited:

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Like @Mudgirl630, I TOO am a Kenja devotee. I am on the 2017/18 model now (170’s) and had an earlier version before that. What she said above is spot on:

“Hence, stable, specially at high speed. You do need to make effort on them. Otherwise, they will take off on you. These are not good skis for lazy skier.”

And really all that is such a plus for me. They don’t let me be lazy! They make me stay on top of them and that is good. If I’m having a bad day or not wanting to go down the slope for some reason, they make me adjust my attitude pretty quickly. Not to say they are not super easy to ski on an easy slope. I absolutely love to cruise on them! Extremely fun! So I’m not sure this helps you much. I hope it will be of some use. If you are already getting a thrill on them at times, I would think they could make you a better skier quickly. Depends on how YOU feel about them I would think. If they scare you or frustrate you too much maybe trade them in.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

BP88 & 82s
SA88
Yumi 84

I LOVE the Ripsticks I just bought but they are last year’s and different. I bought the Elan Interra last year. Love, too. I bought the Ripstick a little longer. The Ripsick is wider with an 88 waist and has more tip rise than the Interra. It’s better in soft snow or spring slop. But everyone’s reaction to a ski is different. You really have to ski them!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Last thought...the narrower Black Pearl 82 (I haven't been on the 78) is very different than the old Cheyenne, in a good way.
Good to know. Even though I liked the original Black Pearl (88, bought a pair used) and really liked renting BP88 and BP98 (2017-18) at Taos, I never liked the Cheyenne or the BP78. Was always surprised when doing the demo runs since I liked the wider models.

marzNC

Angel Diva
BP88 & 82s
SA88
Yumi 84

It's been a couple seasons, but based on the fact that I like BP88, SA88, and Yumi 84 when demoing, The Head Kore 87 makes sense as a contender. I demo'd the Kore W 93 a few years ago (northeast, short groomer runs) and liked it a lot.

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
So after a few weeks of OCD on this clearly life and death matter I've narrowed my thinking down and would love experienced thoughts.

I've worked with the aforementioned ski instructor a few more times and he is just not a huge fan of the Kenja. He thinks future me might like it but now me needs something different. He is a guy but his criteria is less stiff and mid 80s. Here is my short list...

Head Kore 87 - this is really 83 under foot in the 162 - I've read some reviews calling it stiff, too stiff?
Yumi 84
Rossi Experience 84

We probably only have a week or max two left out here - but I could pick any of these guys up on sale right now and probably sell them pretty easy if I don't love them.

I know a few of you ski the Yumi and a few have demod the Kore - I'd love all thoughts - including if I should just cool my jets and grab something early next season.

Thanks!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Like @Mudgirl630, I TOO am a Kenja devotee. I am on the 2017/18 model now (170’s) and had an earlier version before that. What she said above is spot on:

“Hence, stable, specially at high speed. You do need to make effort on them. Otherwise, they will take off on you. These are not good skis for lazy skier.”

And really all that is such a plus for me. They don’t let me be lazy! They make me stay on top of them and that is good. If I’m having a bad day or not wanting to go down the slope for some reason, they make me adjust my attitude pretty quickly. Not to say they are not super easy to ski on an easy slope. I absolutely love to cruise on them! Extremely fun! So I’m not sure this helps you much. I hope it will be of some use. If you are already getting a thrill on them at times, I would think they could make you a better skier quickly. Depends on how YOU feel about them I would think. If they scare you or frustrate you too much maybe trade them in.
I truly cannot say enough about how much I love them. I demo skis in every season, not this one due to scheduling, and try to find something that leave a better impression, but have not so far. There are many studies on how skis wider than 90 waist are hard on knees. 2020, Kenja went down to 88 from 90 in 2020. I still have them in 90. Love them both.

Last edited:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
How much will you save? And how much of a discount will selling them cost you? and how much time will it take? If you're on a learning-a-lot phase of your arc - I am - it may make sense to do a seasonal rental of what you think you want, and then demo the CRAP out of skis next year and then pick one up on sale at the end of next season?

I'm biased b/c this is my plan, but it may just give you MORE options to do it this way? While your instructor knows what you need, he isn't in your body, so I feel like YOUR experience is going to be most important. But, that experience will change based on where you've described YOUR skiing to be? I dunno.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
So after a few weeks of OCD on this clearly life and death matter I've narrowed my thinking down and would love experienced thoughts.

I've worked with the aforementioned ski instructor a few more times and he is just not a huge fan of the Kenja. He thinks future me might like it but now me needs something different. He is a guy but his criteria is less stiff and mid 80s. Here is my short list...

Head Kore 87 - this is really 83 under foot in the 162 - I've read some reviews calling it stiff, too stiff?
Yumi 84
Rossi Experience 84

We probably only have a week or max two left out here - but I could pick any of these guys up on sale right now and probably sell them pretty easy if I don't love them.

I know a few of you ski the Yumi and a few have demod the Kore - I'd love all thoughts - including if I should just cool my jets and grab something early next season.

Thanks!
The bottom line is you have to demo all of them. That is simply the ONLY way to know. You cannot go by what other's like and say. YOU are the one who should decide. No one else including the instructor. Do you love Kenja or not? Also, nothing wrong with having more than one pair of skis. Most of us have different types for different conditions. Kenja are super stable at high speed. What kind of skier are you and what kind of skier do you want to be??? I skied on them today and I was thinking about what you did about yours. I love mine. I will always have them among my selections.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yumi 84
Rossi Experience 84
I am a few inches taller than you and similar in weight and I ski the Blizzard Sheeva 9 172 and the Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 168. Love them both. We all value different things in skis, but if you like a playful ski you may prefer something less stiff/damp than the Kenja.

I scanned back through and didn’t see it mentioned, but along with the skis you listed, I would add the Nordica Astral 84 165. Super fun, easy to ski, but you won’t grow out of it. It is the women’s version of the Navigator. If I didn’t have the Stockli, I would be happy to have the Astral 84. I would get the 172, but you will be fine on the 165.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Yumi 84
Rossi Experience 84

You're looking for skis for the purpose of improving technique, correct? Seems as if your instructor's advice is worth considering seriously. As I've mentioned elsewhere, written reviews can be of limited use unless the reviewer is more or less your size and is commenting on how a ski would probably perform for an intermediate. Most reviewers have been advanced skiers for quite a while.

The advantage of having skis bought is that you will essentially get an extended demo. If you like them, then you'll keep them. If you aren't a total fan, then sell them after you have a chance to demo other options.

The first pair of skis I bought after skiing more didn't turn out to be the best fit. But I got more than enough days on them for it to be worth the purchase.

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
@Iwannaski @Mudgirl630 thank you both! I totally get that this is a trial and error of finding preference. The Kenja and I do fine and there is a ton I appreciate about it but I rarely feel like I'm having fun on it. I don't think I'm aggressive enough to really tap into the aspects that make it a great ski.

@Iwannaski your plan is brilliant and a smart responsible girl would probably do just that. I'm ridiculous and of course want to see if I can play with a new ski for a week or two before things wrap up here. Instant gratification at its finest I guess.

@lisamamot I just looked the Astral up and it does look like another one I should be considering - it gets lumped in with the Kore and Rossi Experience Thanks!

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
@marzNC I've read you expressing this before and it did drive it home. I think this area has a good resell market so your right just an extended demo with a deposit return when you sell ;)
Just as an aside - when I was a young teen I live @ Massanutten - kinda learned to ski there (or to hit on lift attendants) and then didn't ski again for real until last year, a lot of years later

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna