• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Opinions wanted - new ski choices

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Just demo as many as you can. That is the only way to find the 'it' pair. It does take time, but there is no other way. If you cannot say you love the pair you are on, then that is clearly not the pair you should be on for now. It might change. As you progress, most likely. I got on Kenja when I was an intermediate skier. They just spoke to me. I never felt like they were too much even then. Hence, I am in my third pair. I demo many skies most season to fine another pair to replace them,, but nothing else have. Everyone is different. Because your best friend love the pair of shoes, does not mean you would. Spend the time and try as many of them as you can next season. This is not something you can do in a jiffy. You would appreciate the time spent to meet your dream pair. You will find them one day.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I just looked the Astral up and it does look like another one I should be considering - it gets lumped in with the Kore and Rossi Experience Thanks!
@MissySki has the Astral 84 and she can speak to them as well.

Demoing is always best, but if you find someone that likes similar skis to you that is a big help in narrowing the focus.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
And you are correct my skiing goal is improve improve improve
It does help to chat with someone who like the similar skis, if you know one. I know for sure if someone loves BP, we got nothing to share with each other. I tried them out in different seasons, but every time I got on them, within 20 ft. I hated them like no other. I tried the shortest way to get down to get off my boots. It is a mystery to me how popular they are. They are like a cardboard, no rebound of any kind to me. So, that is my point. One could love a pair, another could vomit on them. One thing I can say is, some instructors use different pairs when they are teaching, softer and shorter pairs. Some stay on their favorite pairs. Happy demoing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC I've read you expressing this before and it did drive it home. I think this area has a good resell market so your right just an extended demo with a deposit return when you sell ;)
Just as an aside - when I was a young teen I live @ Massanutten - kinda learned to ski there (or to hit on lift attendants) and then didn't ski again for real until last year, a lot of years later
Small world! Massanutten changed quite a bit in the last 15 years since I've been skiing there regularly. The trails haven't changed much since the two were added to the summit, but the lifts, lodge, and teaching area are better. Plus they spent millions on better snowmaking infrastructure.

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
Small world! Massanutten changed quite a bit in the last 15 years since I've been skiing there regularly. The trails haven't changed much since the two were added to the summit, but the lifts, lodge, and teaching area are better. Plus they spent millions on better snowmaking infrastructure.
So I am completely dating myself but it was the early 80s when I lived there. We just lived there for one winter so I have very little recall of what the mountain was like but it is definitely fun to see it referenced regularly.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@Gilly ... I get it... I bought skis this year without a demo and lucked out on the outcome (too short by far, although I loved the ski). The only reason I have my plan is b/c I hate selling stuff. :smile:

I’m also seriously contemplating breaking my own plan, getting a pair of Renoun Earharts and just winging it. LOL.

I’m excited to hear about your new gear and I totally get it.

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
@Gilly ... I get it... I bought skis this year without a demo and lucked out on the outcome (too short by far, although I loved the ski). The only reason I have my plan is b/c I hate selling stuff. :smile:

I’m also seriously contemplating breaking my own plan, getting a pair of Renoun Earharts and just winging it. LOL.

I’m excited to hear about your new gear and I totally get it.

Thanks! This is the fun part right! I've learned so much about skis now that I'm trying to understand what I think I need and want. Same when I replaced my boots

I bought consignment skis (sheeva 10s) at the start of this season that were great at getting me over the beginner hump and improving my confidence. I've also dropped a ton of stuff at the consignment shop and sold it all easily so I'm sure any new skis that don't work out will find a new home. I don't even regret the Kenja purchase I just know they aren't skis I love and they aren't optimal for my level and what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm acting like this ski purchase is life changing and that I have to be married to them forever when in reality I'll buy skis and either love them or not. I really must stop over thinking this and go for it. YOLO ;)

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Nah... the analysis and wallowing in the daydream are part of the fun. Once you get the skis, you can start wallowing in pants/bibs or jacket. Or midlayer. Or my latest...the boot bag. Gaiters? Base layers?

THE POSSIBILITIES FOR ANALYSIS ARE ENDLESS!!!!

:rotf:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If the resale market is good, go for any of the options you want. Chances are it will cost the same as a performance rental over a season if you want to sell them again. I have demo'd the Experience 84 and think they ski similarly to the Yumis, maybe with a little more "solid" feel to the Yumis. The Astral 84 is one I haven't tried but I liked the first iteration of the 78, however that was on a spring afternoon rather than anything hard pack.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I really like the Astral 84, they are a fun and forgiving ski. Great option to work on technique all over the mountain. I spent a lot of time in bumps with them last season. Also demoed the Experience 84 the same day as the Astrals and liked them a lot as well. I got a fabulous deal on the Astrals so that sealed the deal between the two. The Yumis are nice, about the only Volkl I actually “like” but not enough to buy. I have a big preference for playful versus damp skis and Volkls just don’t usually excite me.

My daily driver is the Sheeva 9 164 and I also have the Stockli Stormrider 85 161. I’m 5’4” and just under 120lbs currently. @lisamamot and I have very similar taste in skis which is quite awesome. When one of is likes something it’s a good indication that the other should demo it as well!

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
The comparisons are super helpful thank you both!
Other than the Head Kore I'm hearing good feedback on all thanks for taking the time to do that. I read the review of the Kore that @fgor posted and that seems to confirm what @scandium just said that they all have potential.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The comparisons are super helpful thank you both!
Other than the Head Kore I'm hearing good feedback on all thanks for taking the time to do that. I read the review of the Kore that @fgor posted and that seems to confirm what @scandium just said that they all have potential.
Yes, the Kore 87 exceeded expectations for me, I enjoyed it a lot :smile: I should mention that I did try the Kore 93 on the same day but only for one run. I preferred the 87 a lot more for some reason, but in my notes I have that both are good. But the 87w was the one that stuck in my head!

There are too many good skis :P

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
Super interesting weekend. I did an all day semi-private with the instructor I've been working with who has been encouraging the ski change. I had sent him the 4 skis I was ready to pick from and while we were booting up he got it through my thick skull what he was really thinking of (not sure if I was confused or if he was just being indirect). He really wants me on a technical grooming ski - something that wont hide any technique issues. Narrow, very little or no rocker and small turn radius. This was a pretty big paradigm shift for me. He then decided to put me on a pair of his carving skis - Nordica Dobermann Slalom Pros 165s - they are high 60s under foot with a radius around 12. I skied the morning on them - we had a some fresh powder and a temp drop for a few days so not too much spring ice but there were some spots that were lurking under the powder. Overall pretty darn nice conditions.

I will say I had an internal meltdown about getting on something that narrow. When I skied 78s recently I wanted off them immediately. However, I felt completely fine on these and dare I say enjoyed them. After lunch I swapped back to my Kenjas and after a brief adjustment I was immediately able to notice the improvements I made during the morning session. I enjoyed his skis and they actually helped me ski the kenjas better.

My goal is to improve technique more than anything - so Friday was really helpful me to understand what ski I need to add to my quiver. Of course I've spent the last couple days searching for options.

Anyone have thoughts on Nordica Sentra 7 or Spitfire (probably 76 or 80)? I should probably make that a separate thread........please don't shoot me for being so skitso!!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He really wants me on a technical grooming ski - something that wont hide any technique issues. Narrow, very little or no rocker and small turn radius. This was a pretty big paradigm shift for me.

Ah, this makes sense! I had a couple of lessons with an instructor last season on my black pearl 88s, he didnt make any comments on the skis until he spotted me on the mountain on another day, on a pair of narrow carving skis I also own, fitting your description. Narrow, no rocker, small radius. I hadn't had the opportunity to ski them much yet. The instructor actually called out at me - NICE SKIS! BRING THOSE TO THE NEXT LESSON! - and I ended up using those skis for most of the season after that. I got a ton more comfortable on them from the lessons :smile: (I do switch to my wider, more rockered skis if I'm going to be doing much ungroomed skiing though!)

No thoughts on the Nordica skis, i'm not well versed in narrow skis honestly, but you're on the right track I'm sure!!

brooksnow

Angel Diva
I've been looking to create a quiver in the other direction. My current skis are a 74 carver, radius 12.5. They're great most of the season but a challenge in the springtime glop of the past couple weeks. So far I demoed 88s and really liked the Kenja. I thought the Santa Ana was drab but it was short so I probably should try a longer size. The Black Pearl was fun but I need to try it again when I'm less tired. I'll try something else tomorrow or Wednesday.

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
@brooksnow when I swapped off the narrow ski for my Kenja - conditions had softened up to mashed potatoes with ice in the shade, we went venturing off to some ungroomed and I definitely was very appreciative for how damp and happy to play in crud they are. I have the ability to return my Kenjas but this weekend had me embracing them more than I have before.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
@Gilly When I returned the Kenjas I told the shop that if they appeared in my locker and I didn't try anything else I would be perfectly happy. They were so much fun in the bumps and stable on the gloppy trails that had been groomed overnight. They're definitely not as quick edge to edge as my carvers, but quick is not very effective in mashed potatoes.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I mentioned getting new skis to my instructor, he asked how wide my current ones are (Yumi, 84 mm) and recommended I not go wider.

I was planning to stay under 90mm, but have wondered if I need to be closer to, or even below, 80mm.

Sounds as if our instructors are all in agreement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna