• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

On women's skis

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I completely agree. Plus, I'll be the first to admit, I like pretty skis. Obviously performance comes first (I own one of the ugliest skis out there (IMO)), but it doesn't hurt if they look good too.

I also like that they make women's model bikes. A couple weekends ago I was able to get on a Santa Cruz 5010, then immediately get on the Juliana version of the bike. The Juliana has the same frame, different tune to the suspension, different seat, grips, and I believe narrower handlebars. The Juliana felt much better in comparison. I'd rather be able to buy a bike that fits me and not have to tweak and fiddle around with everything, spending more money on different parts after I just bought a pretty expensive piece of gear.

As for the Santa Ana, I know Ski Essentials did a review that stated that it was a thinner sheet than the Enforcer. I don't recall if they were talking about the whole line, or just the 88 (which was what the review was about). And I also don't recall if it was in the Enforcer 88 review they mention it, or in the Santa Ana 88 review...I read them both back to back the other day.
I do believe it's the whole Santa Ana line that has thinner titanal and softer wood. Might have read it on Blister Gear, too.

Ski Essentials 2020 reviews of women's skis that they just released are REALLY good. As in, I was nodding in agreement for their description of every ski that I've also skied. Makes me want to get on the ones that I haven't skied to see how those feel to me.

Bikes--I'm OK with tweaking stuff because I...don't have a choice and I'm pretty OK with that :becky: When the hubs works for a specific brand dealer, you ride that brand and feel lucky! I've pondered trying others and did ride a Scott, but I probably don't need to go down that rabbithole of "what if" like I do with skis. That being said, I also support women's bikes because I do feel that they get more women into riding, and that is a great thing!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Piggybacking on @contesstant comment re Ski Essentials review...

https://www.skiessentials.com/Chair...parisons-womens-90-mm-all-mountain-ski-guide/

OMG so many good skis out there!
The options can be overwhelming. I think it can often come down to knowing what kind of ski an individual likes. After all the years of testing, and skiing a ton of days living 15 minutes from the mountain, I have ascertained that I prefer a stable, turny ski that I can maneuver quickly and will skid easily for me.

I have also determined that demoing at Grand Targhee is not a good idea, because all skis feel GREAT on that awesome snow there!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
If I get the chance, I'd like to try to demo from the list:

Armada Victa 87 ti
Elan Ripstick 88
Blizzard Sheeva 9
Santa Ana 88 but now more interested in the SA 93 (in the 151 or 153)
Head Kore 93 W - 90% sure I would LOVE this ski as love the Great Joy and Wild Joy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Given that I've already demo'd the BP88 and Santa Ana 88 and SA93, here are the skis I'll be looking to demo from this list. Would be interested in two lengths when the the longer length is around 160cm since I'm more interested in skis that can handle fresh snow up to 10 inches. Always learn something when checking out different lengths for the same model.

Atomic Vantage 90 T1 W @153
DPS Uschi Alchemist 87 C2 @150 and/or 157
Dynastar Legend W 88 @159
Head Kore 93 W @153 and/or 162
Salomon QST Lux 92 @153 and/or 161

Certainly lots of good skis to choose from in the 85-95 width range.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I actually hope this doesn't happen. There are a lot of things on bikes that can be tweaked and softened (suspension) to suit a smaller/lighter rider that can't be tweaked on skis. Unless the lighter weight "men's" skis are expanded, ie. the Head Kore series (which ARE the exact same construction as the Kore W series.) As someone who tends to have a preference for women's specific skis, I really hope they don't go away. The Nordica Santa Ana series for sure has a lighter wood core than the men's enforcers, but I know for a fact I did also read (I just haven't dug it up yet) that they use thinner titanal in them as well. So, while the shapes and dimensions are identical, the construction is in fact tweaked a bit for those of us who are lighter or less aggressive yet not beginners.

Just to be clear about my earlier post - I absolutely think there should be choices that will allow us to select among different ski attributes - just like you can with bikes. I just think that categorizing those differences based on whether you are a man or a woman creates problems - especially when the industry seems to be making erroneous assumptions about women’s anatomy and skill level.

I’m proposing that a more appropriate basis would be skier weight, height and ability - not gender.

I like pretty skis too! But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think there are beautiful and ugly graphics on both men’s and women’s skis. There are some real puzzlers out there too - like the voluptuous maiden with major cleavage who was on my old ‘09 Auras! Lol!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds reasonable--weight, height, ability.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wouldn't it be nice if every ski shop had a handout for potential ski buyers with a list of which ski characteristics worked best for skiers skiing on some familiar terrain types and snow conditions? Say, groomer skiers staying mostly on green/blue terrain until it gets icy, those who venture onto groomed black terrain and stick around when the rest is skied off, park skiers, bump lovers, seekers after fresh powder in the trees, x-racers seeking thrills off piste, racers-in-training or wannabes on the groomed slopes, those who love chopped up bowls, those who tour, tele skiers, and so on. The list could be quite creative.

Such a handout could be put together by the major manufacturers every year and distributed everywhere, and could note waist width, rocker/camber/flex pattern, tip and tail shape/taper, turn radius, torsional stiffness, and so on.

Each category could be further divided into infrequent skiers (1-14 days/year), moderately frequent skiers (15-39 days/year), very frequent skiers (39-59 days/year), and 60+ days/year skiers, or something like that.

Each shop could add its skis for that season into the categories, print up enough copies, and hand them out to customers.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I dunno, I still think it’s so subjective.. I often love skis for my daily drivers in the east that many don’t find to be suitable for our conditions. So I’m not sure I’d be well served by a generic list that someone puts together for what I’m supposed to like on New England conditions. :noidea:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I dunno, I still think it’s so subjective.. I often love skis for my daily drivers in the east that many don’t find to be suitable for our conditions. So I’m not sure I’d be well served by a generic list that someone puts together for what I’m supposed to like on New England conditions. :noidea:
I remember when someone posted here that the Black Crow Camox Birdie 97mm was a perfect ski for New England. What???? I have it for Tahoe conditions and is a great ski for western conditions so I was surprised when it was recommended for eastern snow. Shows what I know.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Totally agree, It's Very subjective. I always wanted video's and stats of who is reviewing. Ski magazine does tell who the testers are, most are ex-racers so how they ski isn't how the general public skis.
I have always demo'd and love to try other skis 'just to see' I've been wowed and I've been bummed. My Z-90's were recommended by @ride_ski and her DH and because I knew they knew how I ski I bought them w/out demoing based on their recommendation- I'm so glad they told me to 'get them!!
I read reviews, get all excited to try a ski and have had the big let down and others I want to buy even though I don't need them! Often at Demo days I can tell skating away I'm not going to like a ski, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and do 'try to like' skis, but sometimes I can't wait to get them off while others demoing the same ski I hate are Raving about it!

I think people tend to like skis from the same manufacturer. I'm glad technology has come so far, it's really cool to try the different shapes, construction etc of today's modern skis but what one person loves another hates.. Read reviews but best to demo demo demo

Jilly

Staff member
Reviewers for Ski Canada are mostly ski instructors. Bio's are available in the issue.

Demo, demo, demo....

MissySki

Angel Diva
I remember when someone posted here that the Black Crow Camox Birdie 97mm was a perfect ski for New England. What???? I have it for Tahoe conditions and is a great ski for western conditions so I was surprised when it was recommended for eastern snow. Shows what I know.

So I have the Camox Birdie as my powder ski in the east, def not my everyday.. BUT last season I happened to have it with me on a crazy icy less than ideal day, and it did just fine.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Totally agree, It's Very subjective. I always wanted video's and stats of who is reviewing. Ski magazine does tell who the testers are, most are ex-racers so how they ski isn't how the general public skis.
I have always demo'd and love to try other skis 'just to see' I've been wowed and I've been bummed. My Z-90's were recommended by @ride_ski and her DH and because I knew they knew how I ski I bought them w/out demoing based on their recommendation- I'm so glad they told me to 'get them!!
I read reviews, get all excited to try a ski and have had the big let down and others I want to buy even though I don't need them! Often at Demo days I can tell skating away I'm not going to like a ski, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and do 'try to like' skis, but sometimes I can't wait to get them off while others demoing the same ski I hate are Raving about it!

I think people tend to like skis from the same manufacturer. I'm glad technology has come so far, it's really cool to try the different shapes, construction etc of today's modern skis but what one person loves another hates.. Read reviews but best to demo demo demo

Agreed! The cool thing now is that there are certain divas that I know have very similiar taste in skis to me, so I take their reviews more seriously when building my demo list.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So I have the Camox Birdie as my powder ski in the east, def not my everyday.. BUT last season I happened to have it with me on a crazy icy less than ideal day, and it did just fine.
See, what do I know? I've never skied in NE.
Also agree with @nopoleskier that it would be nice to have skied with someone recommending a ski .... that have seen me ski and vice versa or tend to like/have similar skis. Not always possible ...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Any that you have tried? If so, what were your impressions?

It's been a while since I've demoed skis because I really, really don't need another pair and I'm afraid I'll fall in love with something new. Right now I have the Nordica Santa Ana 93, the Renoun Z-77, and the Renoun Z-90, so I really feel like I'm SET. That said, I'd love to try the Head Kore 93, the K2 Mindbender 88, the Armada Victa, and the Fischer Ranger 90. I might want to try something around 100 under foot, too. I'm sure something will come up.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
It's been a while since I've demoed skis because I really, really don't need another pair and I'm afraid I'll fall in love with something new. Right now I have the Nordica Santa Ana 93, the Renoun Z-77, and the Renoun Z-90, so I really feel like I'm SET. That said, I'd love to try the Head Kore 93, the K2 Mindbender 88, the Armada Victa, and the Fischer Ranger 90. I might want to try something around 100 under foot, too. I'm sure something will come up.
And I've skied with you so would love to hear your opinion! It's ridiculously expensive in Tahoe to demo skis $80 or maybe more. I have been comped a few times which is the only reason I was able to demo Sheeva 10 and Head Wild Joy.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to be clear about my earlier post - I absolutely think there should be choices that will allow us to select among different ski attributes - just like you can with bikes. I just think that categorizing those differences based on whether you are a man or a woman creates problems - especially when the industry seems to be making erroneous assumptions about women’s anatomy and skill level.

I’m proposing that a more appropriate basis would be skier weight, height and ability - not gender.

I like pretty skis too! But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think there are beautiful and ugly graphics on both men’s and women’s skis. There are some real puzzlers out there too - like the voluptuous maiden with major cleavage who was on my old ‘09 Auras! Lol!
That actually would be ideal.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna