• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

On women's skis

MissySki

Angel Diva
Those DPS skis sound VERY interesting!! Though I would like to try the Yvette 112.. Any New England ladies know of any demo days that include DPS??

marzNC

Angel Diva
Those DPS skis sound VERY interesting!! Though I would like to try the Yvette 112.. Any New England ladies know of any demo days that include DPS??
DPS is unlikely to show up with skis at a New England demo day. Only time I remember them giving in a try was when the Uschi first came out. Even if they did, would probably not bring the wider models. The reason Phantom is taking so long to be accepted in the northeast is that even ski shop employees are often unaware of how popular DPS skis are out west. But you could ask Proctor in Nashua, which has DPS demo skis.

My go to brand when getting demo skis for powder days at Alta has been DPS for a while. But by March, the demo skis at Alta Ski Shop are usually sold out (marked down a little after every rental). That's why I like to demo in order to know what other powder skis work well for me.

You can find DPS skis at the consignment shops in SLC and Ogden easily. I got to go on a tour of the DPS factory in SLC last season. They are making all the high end skis there now. Better control of quality and faster development cycles for new designs.

MissySki

Angel Diva
DPS is unlikely to show up with skis at a New England demo day. Only time I remember them giving in a try was when the Uschi first came out. Even if they did, would probably not bring the wider models. The reason Phantom is taking so long to be accepted in the northeast is that even ski shop employees are often unaware of how popular DPS skis are out west. But you could ask Proctor in Nashua, which has DPS demo skis.

My go to brand when getting demo skis for powder days at Alta has been DPS for a while. But by March, the demo skis at Alta Ski Shop are usually sold out (marked down a little after every rental). That's why I like to demo in order to know what other powder skis work well for me.

You can find DPS skis at the consignment shops in SLC and Ogden easily. I got to go on a tour of the DPS factory in SLC last season. They are making all the high end skis there now. Better control of quality and faster development cycles for new designs.

I didn’t know that Proctor demoed them, I’ll have to inquire. I saw some for sale when I was there recently, but nothing overly wide. I’ll also have to see if they are available for demo when I’m out west this season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Even though I've been at the Alta Demo Day in early April quite a few times in the last decade, I think I've only been able to check out powder skis in actual powder a couple times. When I get lucky and catch a powder storm, if I decide to rent wide skis, I usually change skis in order to test at least two pairs. Easy to change at lunch at Alta. At Bridger last winter I changed out at lunch, and also did a couple runs at the end of the afternoon. Even as a "personal demo day" it wasn't ideal because of the lengths available, which were either a bit too long or a bit too short. Still I learned a lot.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Out of curiosity, I just searched for who even carries them as a brand. And looks like their store locator calls out what stores carry demos...https://www.dpsskis.com/dealer-locator

Ah perfect, I’ll take a look thanks!! Funny, Ski Monster where I was yesterday is listed as carrying skis (not demos). I didn’t even get to see what they had for all of their skis because I was so focused on boots. Will have to look next time I’m there.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If the Alchemist version is available and it's about the same price, get it vs. the Foundation.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alchemist is slightly different construction. They have a slightly smoother, more "refined" feel to them.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Why? What's different?

I was curious on the same so I took to the all-knowing Google....See Pages 5 and 14 for a description of each construction.

Looks like they have a different type of wood core, Alchemist with aspen, and Foundation with the more-mainstream poplar/bamboo combo. The Alchemist has a full sheet of carbon, which would give it that smoother, more "refined" feel that contesstant mentioned. The Foundation has a fiberglass sheet, with a carbon stringer. Carbon dampens vibrations better than fiberglass and is a bit stiffer of a material. Then using a soft wood (aspen) over hardwood (poplar/bamboo), will give the ski a different feel. Overall, poplar/bamboo/fiberglass are much cheaper materials than aspen/carbon...which definitely reflects on the price.

Keep in mind the link I posted, is for the 19/20 catalog...looks like they've changes some constructions based on their wording. So I'm not sure how much has been carried over from previous seasons.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If the Alchemist version is available and it's about the same price, get it vs. the Foundation.
Welllllll, maybe.
The Alchemist is carbon, which is lighter and more poppy. The Foundation is a balance of a few kinds of wood but has the same shape but its damper and had a completely different feel than the Alchemist. Most of the time I prefer the Alchemist version of DPS' skis, but there are a few that the Foundation build is a tad smoother

marzNC

Angel Diva
DPS has evolved into three constructions: Foundation, Tour, and Alchemist. The Yvette 112 comes in all three, but the Yvette 100 only comes in Foundation and Alchemist. My favorite, the Nina 99, only comes in the Tour construction now. The Nina 99 Hybrid/Pure models were around 2012-16, but the Pure didn't come in a length short enough for me. I spent a day on the 2018 Nina 99 Alchemist in April 2017 in powder at Alta and liked it better than the Hybrid Nina 99. Guess "more damp" is a good feature for me.

Although this Powder 7 review from 2018 is about the men's models, it includes a useful description of the three constructions.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DPS has evolved into three constructions: Foundation, Tour, and Alchemist. The Yvette 112 comes in all three, but the Yvette 100 only comes in Foundation and Alchemist. My favorite, the Nina 99, only comes in the Tour construction now. The Nina 99 Hybrid/Pure models were around 2012-16, but the Pure didn't come in a length short enough for me. I spent a day on the 2018 Nina 99 Alchemist in April 2017 in powder at Alta and liked it better than the Hybrid Nina 99. Guess "more damp" is a good feature for me.

Although this Powder 7 review from 2018 is about the men's models, it includes a useful description of the three constructions.

DPS Changed the shape on some of their skis for the 19-20 season, but the construction stayed the same.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're near Stowe, Pinnacle, the shop associated with Ski Essentials, may have DPS Demos.

I was curious on the same so I took to the all-knowing Google....See Pages 5 and 14 for a description of each construction.

Looks like they have a different type of wood core, Alchemist with aspen, and Foundation with the more-mainstream poplar/bamboo combo. The Alchemist has a full sheet of carbon, which would give it that smoother, more "refined" feel that contesstant mentioned. The Foundation has a fiberglass sheet, with a carbon stringer. Carbon dampens vibrations better than fiberglass and is a bit stiffer of a material. Then using a soft wood (aspen) over hardwood (poplar/bamboo), will give the ski a different feel. Overall, poplar/bamboo/fiberglass are much cheaper materials than aspen/carbon...which definitely reflects on the price.

Keep in mind the link I posted, is for the 19/20 catalog...looks like they've changes some constructions based on their wording. So I'm not sure how much has been carried over from previous seasons.
Pretty much. Any changes in construction are slight, but they did change the shape.
I like the tip initiation on the new version a bit better.

When you get out this way again, I'd be happy to set you up on two different types of construction.
We have 4 Women specific DPS, Uschi 82, Uschi 94, Yvette 100, (all Foundation) and a Zelda 106 Alchemist. We also have 3 different lengths in the Alchemist Trainer 79, which are flipping fun in bumps!
full

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting to learn why the Head Great Joy and Big Joy quietly disappeared. The Wild Joy was 90mm, and became the widest Joy model. Even that has disappeared for 2020. That leaves the Total Joy @85mm as the widest model.

Instead for powder-oriented skiing there are the Kore W 93 and Kore W 99. I wonder what the differences are between the women's models and the Kore 99 and Kore 93, besides the lengths available. The Kore 93, 99, and 105 show up when using the Unisex filter on the Head website.
They did that because they have the W Kore series now.
Same with Nordica with the Astral 88 going away now that they have the Santa Ana 88.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welllllll, maybe.
The Alchemist is carbon, which is lighter and more poppy. The Foundation is a balance of a few kinds of wood but has the same shape but its damper and had a completely different feel than the Alchemist. Most of the time I prefer the Alchemist version of DPS' skis, but there are a few that the Foundation build is a tad smoother
I need to get on more of them for sure. :ski3: I liked the Alchemist in the Yvette 100 better, SLIGHTLY better. Enough that if they cost the same on discount, I'd get that one.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need to get on more of them for sure. :ski3: I liked the Alchemist in the Yvette 100 better, SLIGHTLY better. Enough that if they cost the same on discount, I'd get that one.
Generally the Alchemist is twice the price.
I owned the Yvette 112 Pure back when the carbon version was called Pure instead of Alchemist. I really liked that ski but I think I like the Zelda 106 better, but then I'm finding myself liking narrower skis in general.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga