• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: "No Friends on a Powder Day" or "No Man Left Behind"?

Powder Days: No friends on a powder day or no man left behind?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, in the two incidences stated, there were other people around. It wasn't just two people skiing together and one gets totally blown away and left behind in potentially scary situation. :injured:

And, what's with Pinto being involved in both situations??:laughter:

I feel that if I am the more experienced skier and I am in a area, run or run conditions that the other skier is unfamiliar with, than I am responsbile to make sure they get down the run safely.:cool:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, in the two incidences stated, there were other people around. It wasn't just two people skiing together and one gets totally blown away and left behind in potentially scary situation. :injured:

And, what's with Pinto being involved in both situations??:laughter:

I feel that if I am the more experienced skier and I am in a area, run or run conditions that the other skier is unfamiliar with, than I am responsbile to make sure they get down the run safely.:cool:

Hey now, my reputation! Actually, I think I dropped in before SnowHot did on Spaulding, no blowing by her, and I did wait at the bottom of the bowl. I just missed the equipment collection part of it. :D

And yes, especially with the kids, I'm usually the last to go, making sure they make it down in one piece. Until I have to lead the way, which can sometimes make for herky jerky start-and-stop skiing, but necessary.

Actually, if I'm ever in a group, I really prefer to be either first or last ... not as easy to run into people (okay, get hit) that way.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey now, my reputation! Actually, I think I dropped in before SnowHot did on Spaulding, no blowing by her, and I did wait at the bottom of the bowl. I just missed the equipment collection part of it. :D

Ah, yes, you were in the crowd, laughing and taking pictures.:laugh:

If anyone wants expert advice on how to get your skis back on in deep powder and/or steep terrain, I'm your girl.:rolleyes:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah, yes, you were in the crowd, laughing and taking pictures.:laugh:

Actually, we were farther away than that, and we couldn't see you. I didn't know who we were waiting for, if you REALLY want the truth. ;)

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If anyone wants expert advice on how to get your skis back on in deep powder and/or steep terrain, I'm your girl.:rolleyes:

Ya know... I honestly found it easier to get my skis back on in the deep powder at Loveland, then it is on ice back home in New England...
:noidea:

Now as to the topic. I don't believe in leaving people behind. I can agree to splitting into smaller groups which will stay together, but individuals don't get left behind no matter what. Bad things can happen when you're alone no matter what the condition. If some one wants to take off of on their own that's another matter and a choice that that individual has made.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, we were farther away than that, and we couldn't see you. I didn't know who we were waiting for, if you REALLY want the truth. ;)
Oh, then if that's the case, it was Cgeib. He fell and had the :yardsale:, it was ME who stopped to help him up..........yea, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I actually don't like skiing alone in any conditions, I just don't enjoy it as much.

On a powder day there are usually 2 scenarios, just me and my husband, which is just fine. Or we're in Vail or Beaver with 2-3 family members who are locals, and complete powder hounds, so there is no way we'd be even capable of leaving them behind.

The best part of epic powder days is sharing the experience, then reliving it forever afterwards.

And besides, who would video me if I was on my own!

:ski2:

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have got to ski with you some day!!!
With any luck, I'll be able to stay close enough to suck some of your exhaust.

You're on....as soon as I'm not a poor college student and can afford a Ski Diva trip. :rolleyes:

And about sucking exhaust - I don't think so!

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I get frustrated when friends who can't keep up want everyone to wait and also get frustrated if I think I'm too slow and am holding things up. I ski with a few friends who can't keep up with me and I have a few who I can't keep up with.

On powder days everyone agrees to meet up after lunch to ski together, so no one feels they are being dragged back or pulled at a too fast pace. Usually after lunch time places are tracked out or the powder hounds are tired out and ready for a slower pace. Those afternoons are great skill building time for those less comfortable in powder.

Those that ski together on powder days stick together for safety and break off into even smaller groups if they are tired or need a faster pace. We don't split up without talking about it and never leave friends in the woods or in gnarly terrain alone.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Because of the patience and unselfishness of some wonderful family and friends, like my son-in-law, I have gained confidence in taking powder shots. Some of these folks could have ditched me and had their fun---but they showed me the way and hung with me while I dug out or waited for me along the way. Without them, I might have not ventured into some of the terrain I now feel comfortable skiing alone in. I try to do the same for others. That said, occasionally you gotta just sneak off and take your shots. It's amazing how fleeting powder shots are.

NannyMin

Banned
It's been interesting to read everyone's answers. Question: Do you think that a poll of men with the same question would have dramatically different results?

abc

Banned
I think we need to clarify this poll.....we're talking POWDER days, not just any old day. Like 10" blower days. Does it really "depend"?

Sorry to play the devil's advocate, but I hope I'm not the only one that loses all sense of social decency on a powder day. :doh:
Am I the only one who noticed the divas who answer "no friend on powder days" are all hailing from Colorado?

Had I bother to vote, I would had simply added to the chorus of "depends". But depends on what?

The truth is, there's no REAL powder in the northeast no matter how anyone spins it. I wouldn't mind at all to wait for my buddy on such "powder" days. But 10" of fluffy Rockie powder? That would make me really hate to wait (or be waited on).

Still, I know I would wait for most cases. Why? Traveling to ski out west, I don't know my ways around the resort so I had to either wait for my buddy to show me, or, if he/she's equally un-sure of the resort, it may not be safe to leave him/her behind!

But the Colorado locals don't have that problem. They're at home in their mountain. So when it dumps, it's everyone for herself. Nothing complicated at all.

* I am a firm believer in the buddy system. Never, ever go into the trees alone, and always wait for your buddy to come out of the trees with you.

So what DO you do if your buddy fail to come out of the woods after 5 minutes???

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I the only one who noticed the divas who answer "no friend on powder days" are all hailing from Colorado?

Wrong. I'm from Colorado and I said depends.:eyebrows:

SnowHot is an East Coast Diva.:noidea:

But, she enjoys our Colorad powder!:snow:

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm Colorad-an by marriage.

:laugh:

And I answered.. the family that skis pow together, stays together.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The truth is, there's no REAL powder in the northeast no matter how anyone spins it.

I beg to differ on this, too. It doesn't happen with the frequency it does in the west, and it may not be quite as light and fluffy, but as someone who gets in a heck of a lot of ski days in VT -- and who lives in VT, too -- it does happen.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I chose the option: Depends
If we're skiing with one or two other people on a powder day, or actually any day, then we wait for them and try to stick together.

If we ski in a big group, then there is an assumption that everyone will have someone to ski with on desired terrain and at their desired speed.

This is probably a good topic to discuss before the Diva Summit, where there will be a buncha divas at different abilities, and with different attitudes on sticking to a group.

If any one feels like I ditched them, at any time, I'd like to say I'm sorry, but I'm not. :becky: I was skiing!!!

* I am a firm believer in the buddy system. Never, ever go into the trees alone, and always wait for your buddy to come out of the trees with you.

So what DO you do if your buddy fail to come out of the woods after 5 minutes???
If I'm buddies with someone, then I'd try to keep the buddy in sight and wait intermittently, until safely out of the woods.

Wrong. I'm from Colorado and I said depends.:eyebrows:

SnowHot is an East Coast Diva.:noidea:

But, she enjoys our Colorad powder!:snow:
Don't forget Bklyn!!!
She'd ditch me in a heart beat for a powder day, In fact I think she did. Good for you Bklyn!:thumbsup:

The truth is, there's no REAL powder in the northeast no matter how anyone spins it. I wouldn't mind at all to wait for my buddy on such "powder" days. But 10" of fluffy Rockie powder? That would make me really hate to wait (or be waited on).

I beg to differ on this, too. It doesn't happen with the frequency it does in the west, and it may not be quite as light and fluffy, but as someone who gets in a heck of a lot of ski days in VT -- and who lives in VT, too -- it does happen.
Agree with SkiDiva on this one! The East has had some Epic Powder Days this year, two of which I had the pleasure of skiing!!

bklyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't forget Bklyn!!!
She'd ditch me in a heart beat for a powder day, In fact I think she did. Good for you Bklyn!:thumbsup:

Oh, now wait a minute here!
I did not meet you (and a whole bunch of other people of unknown ability) at the mountain you chose to ride at that got 6". Instead, I rode the place that got 16".

n525685514_2637537_590.jpg

Good choice, huh?
I knew skiing with that large group would have meant not being able to maximize the 6 that you got. Still, if I was on the hill with you, I wouldn't leave you without a conversation and the knowledge that you were safe.

...The truth is, there's no REAL powder in the northeast no matter how anyone spins it. I wouldn't mind at all to wait for my buddy on such "powder" days. But 10" of fluffy Rockie powder? ...

Northeast powder at Pico:
remoteImage.jpg

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, now wait a minute here!
I did not meet you (and a whole bunch of other people of unknown ability) at the mountain you chose to ride at that got 6". Instead, I rode the place that got 16".

n525685514_2637537_590.jpg

Good choice, huh?
I knew skiing with that large group would have meant not being able to maximize the 6 that you got. Still, if I was on the hill with you, I wouldn't leave you without a conversation and the knowledge that you were safe.

Northeast powder at Pico:
remoteImage.jpg
LOL, Love ya Bklyn!
Yes it was a good choice! Snowgasmic!!
You are sooooooo correct about the large group, and not being able to maximize powder time. It seems we were waiting for those who weren't up to it. :faint:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stowe December 15th 2007
18 inches during the weekend -Darn good snow for early season!!!
n830505017_1849570_9289.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga