• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: "No Friends on a Powder Day" or "No Man Left Behind"?

Powder Days: No friends on a powder day or no man left behind?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NannyMin

Banned
I've been thinking about this question a lot lately.

Are you a "No Friends on a Powder Day" skier or a "No Man Left Behind" kind of skier?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I chose the option: Depends
If we're skiing with one or two other people on a powder day, or actually any day, then we wait for them and try to stick together.

If we ski in a big group, then there is an assumption that everyone will have someone to ski with on desired terrain and at their desired speed.

This is probably a good topic to discuss before the Diva Summit, where there will be a buncha divas at different abilities, and with different attitudes on sticking to a group.

If any one feels like I ditched them, at any time, I'd like to say I'm sorry, but I'm not. :becky: I was skiing!!!

* I am a firm believer in the buddy system. Never, ever go into the trees alone, and always wait for your buddy to come out of the trees with you.

oragejuice

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually like skiing with one or two people. Two even gets restricting at times. The best days that I've had have been by myself, or with one other person. You don't have to work as hard to keep track of everyone. And... less people to track up your stash=more freshies!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally came to terms and embraced my inner selfish powder-hound this year. No matter how many times I tried to convince myself to ski with a big group of people on a powder day, the weak ones always got ditched. And I thought that more storm days meant that I wouldn't be so aggro, but it actually made it worse! I guess the more you get, the more you want. I can't help the powder monster in my head telling me to go go go!!

I'm lucky enough to have a good crew that seems to hang together at the same pace all day, so I'm seldom alone. But man, I ditched a few friends this year that I still feel bad about. But, those turns were so good..... :D

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I finally came to terms and embraced my inner selfish powder-hound this year. No matter how many times I tried to convince myself to ski with a big group of people on a powder day, the weak ones always got ditched. And I thought that more storm days meant that I wouldn't be so aggro, but it actually made it worse! I guess the more you get, the more you want. I can't help the powder monster in my head telling me to go go go!!

I'm lucky enough to have a good crew that seems to hang together at the same pace all day, so I'm seldom alone. But man, I ditched a few friends this year that I still feel bad about. But, those turns were so good..... :D
Amen Sistah!!!

altagirl

Staff member
That's kindof hard to choose.

Most really good powder days - "no friends on a powder day". That's just our group policy, I think. We might wait for a few seconds, we'll go help if we see a friend crash, but in general, we'll just wait for you in line at the bottom. If you don't show up in short order, you're on your own until it's tracked out.

That said, there are a few days where I'm with someone that I'm showing around and I've waited for them on a powder day, but typically there's an explanation beforehand on a really good powder day that if the people in the group get split up we'll reconnect at lunch. Even if it's just me and my husband, it depends on the day - sometimes we'll stick together, but on the best days, we still get split up on occasion.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I hang back. Sometimes, I'm the primary "hanger!" :laugh: Just have been with ski instructors in the family too long to do otherwise. Have seen DH give up great zipper lines in bumps to talk/lead me down (like, for YEARS!).

If I'm with a group whose terrain choice exceeds my energy level/capability, I graciously "secede." No biggie. And have done it as recently as 3 weeks ago. But, OTOH, if I'm with a group and someone secedes, I generally second that and hang back. Sometimes, it's nice to have "secession company!"

My problem is, at my age, even if I am pretty well matched with a group, I just tend to burn out earlier.

Have done enough solo skiing over the years to appreciate company a lot.

Jilly

Staff member
I answered "depends". It its powder - tough nookies - I'm going. But general group skiing, I'll either lead if its my hill, or follow and sometime last. I've been hit by skiers when I ski in a group. Or I'll head to the other side of the run to keep away, but keep my eye on the group. And then there that's run that only I seem to want to try, so I'll be gone. Like SnowHot says, I'm skiing!!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think we need to clarify this poll.....we're talking POWDER days, not just any old day. Like 10" blower days. Does it really "depend"?

Sorry to play the devil's advocate, but I hope I'm not the only one that loses all sense of social decency on a powder day. :doh:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think we need to clarify this poll.....we're talking POWDER days, not just any old day. Like 10" blower days. Does it really "depend"?

Sorry to play the devil's advocate, but I hope I'm not the only one that loses all sense of social decency on a powder day. :doh:

I really do suck in powder that deep. That being said, I would almost prefer being alone on a powder day just so I could go at my own pace.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I answered depends...
If I am riding w/ a couple comprable riding friends, then there are no friends on a powder day. But, we are then are very familiar and comfortable with each others abilities. That being said, we also watch out for each other. Tree well really like to eat people on a powder day!

Now, if I bring a friend up on ANY type ski day and they are not at the same level I or my other friends are, I feel then it is my responsibility to make sure that person is taken care of & safe.

Plus, I want them to enjoy the day and learn to love skiing like I do. So, if I can help show them some powder tricks...then that is what I'll do. But, my other friends aren't responsible for the random person I might bring up...
:ski2:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I have dusted my own son on a powder day. Talk about losing all sense of social decency ... powder days can negate even the maternal instinct! Just like crack! (Yes, the more you get, the more you want...)

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
No friends on a powder day!! It's a way of life out here.

Luckily - all my friends are even better friends on powder day. Nothing like sharing a truly epic day with your best buddies. Now...if we all didn't share the same pow skills....sorry Charlie, but we'll have to meet up for apres.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But your son can ski powder....right?:D

So, in addition to my above post, I have to say that when I have brought that random person to ski, it has not been on powder days. Those are very fair weather skiers and basically I'm showing them that there is life beyond the groomers!:love:

altagirl

Staff member
The thing is that you just have to establish the ground rules with the people you're with. To me it's only rude if you told someone new (and unfamiliar with powder rules) you'd ski with them and then ditch them without explaining what's up.

I guess I just can't quite say I'd NEVER wait on a powder day. Like if my dad actually came skiing or something, it would be such a momentous occasion - I'd wait for him and spend the day at his pace even if it meant missing epic powder. But that will likely never happen, so... yeah. Generally speaking, "no friends on a powder day".

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But your son can ski powder....right?:D

So, in addition to my above post, I have to say that when I have brought that random person to ski, it has not been on powder days. Those are very fair weather skiers and basically I'm showing them that there is life beyond the groomers!:love:

Yeah, I'm really mostly joking ... he was 11, and it was the first day he "got it" in powder. It was the perfect situation, in Switzerland (ie, there wasn't that crazed me-first vibe you get here), low angle, sunny, with a guide, and we got fresh all day long.

But there was a time he fell, and I just blasted right past him. I was in a great rhythm, and I wasn't stopping! (I could see he was okay ... but someone else DID stop, and I felt very guilty.)

End of the day, he didn't look TOO sad ...
IMG_0364.jpg

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Remember, to some of us 10" blower days can be Powder days!

When I'm clicked into my bindings, I lose all other senses!
Worse yet, I don't feel a need to explain or apologize.
I'm sick that way:rolleyes:

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Remember, to some of us 10" blower days can be Powder days!

Hmmm.... I think you misunderstood. 10" is most definitely a powder day where I'm at. Anyone who thinks otherwise is muy loco (or at least an extremely spoiled brat)! 10" would definitely be enough to make me ditch a friend or two. :wink:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm.... I think you misunderstood. 10" is most definitely a powder day where I'm at. Anyone who thinks otherwise is muy loco (or at least an extremely spoiled brat)! 10" would definitely be enough to make me ditch a friend or two. :wink:
I have got to ski with you some day!!!
With any luck, I'll be able to stay close enough to suck some of your exhaust.

BTW, I can vouch for Pinto that she won't wait. She left me in the dust in Spaulding bowl, while Robyn and Cgeib helped me pickup my garage sale. :becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga